shape
carat
color
clarity

I think it's safer to NOT order take out from restaurants

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, the (sorry, but true ) young idiots doing "résistance" , partying in cafés and in the streets did that to EVERYONE.

The closing of all parks and the city forests end of last week as well.
All the trapped city kids are forever grateful for this lost opportunity I am sure. Just because some thought they were so smart "playing the system" and getting together in groups in parks.

Yes and did you read about the Spring Breakers in Florida partying on the beaches??? Where were the f***ing politicians then????

Our NYC politicians were telling us it was OK to go out to restaurants and take the subways etc. as late as early-mid March IIRC. Criminal behavior IMO on the part of the NYC health commissioner and our Mayor. Dr. Oxiris Barbot and Mayor DeBlasio made very bad decisions early on and huge opportunities to control Covid 19 in NYC were missed. :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it very crowded where you live @missy ?

Because the only way you wouldn't be 6 feet from someone here is if they chased you down on purpose.

Very crowded but it is definitely possible to keep 6 feet. I found only my dh and I were crossing the street/walking in the street with traffic to avoid others. Joggers would callously run by us huffing and puffing before we even realized they were behind us and passed us too closely. Really freaking angry at the people who don't give a damn about anyone but themselves. There is no excuse for not following the 6 foot distance rule. No excuse acceptable. It is possible. But people here are cavalier about the whole thing. Disgusting. :x2

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh thanks for that @missy

We live in the suburbs so on a street you might pass one person every ten minutes (if that at all).

I didn't realize how crowded the place you live was! I'll admit I was wondering why everyone was freaking out when it's almost empty outside.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh thanks for that @missy

We live in the suburbs so on a street you might pass one person every ten minutes (if that at all).

I didn't realize how crowded the place you live was! I'll admit I was wondering why everyone was freaking out when it's almost empty outside.

We probably should move to our beach house (where it is less crowded but still a state/city where there are lots of Covid 19 cases but much less than NYC) but I just don't want to leave my parents alone in Brooklyn. My sister and her DH have their hands filled with working full time outside their home (both are considered essential employees) and taking care of their girls. So my DH and I decided we are staying here for now.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Yes and did you read about the Spring Breakers in Florida partying on the beaches??? Where were the f***ing politicians then????

Our NYC politicians were telling us it was OK to go out to restaurants and take the subways etc. as late as early-mid March IIRC. Criminal behavior IMO on the part of the NYC health commissioner and our Mayor. Dr. Oxiris Barbot and Mayor DeBlasio made very bad decisions early on and huge opportunities to control Covid 19 in NYC were missed. :(

I agree with you. There are officials on local, state and federal level (US and UK) who have behaved with criminal irresponsibility here. IMO some of them are, if not basically guilty of manslaughter, only one step removed.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Joggers would callously run by us huffing and puffing before we even realized they were behind us and passed us too closely. Really freaking angry at the people who don't give a damn about anyone but themselves. There is no excuse for not following the 6 foot distance rule. No excuse acceptable. It is possible. But people here are cavalier about the whole thing. Disgusting.

Same here in London. Honestly. As a long-time regular runner (who hasn't been out for a run in over 3 weeks), I've been appalled by the number of people who have suddenly decided that now is the time to take it up. Many of them seem to have no idea of the rules of basic polite distancing under ordinary circumstances, let alone these extraordinary ones.

I think it's not helping that after months of grim and miserable cold and rain, the UK weather is like a cosmic joke right now- bright and sunny with all the early spring flowers out. When I'm walking the dogs (the only time we leave the house right now) I'm horrified by how many people seem completely unaware, not only of how close they are, but that they're breathing all over you. The sad thing is that at the moment, even though we're officially allowed out of quarantine, I'm masked and gloved for their protection--the distance is more for their benefit than mine.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same here in London. Honestly. As a long-time regular runner (who hasn't been out for a run in over 3 weeks), I've been appalled by the number of people who have suddenly decided that now is the time to take it up. Many of them seem to have no idea of the rules of basic polite distancing under ordinary circumstances, let alone these extraordinary ones.

I think it's not helping that after months of grim and miserable cold and rain, the UK weather is like a cosmic joke right now- bright and sunny with all the early spring flowers out. When I'm walking the dogs (the only time we leave the house right now) I'm horrified by how many people seem completely unaware, not only of how close they are, but that they're breathing all over you. The sad thing is that at the moment, even though we're officially allowed out of quarantine, I'm masked and gloved for their protection--the distance is more for their benefit than mine.

@jaaron I am sorry we seem to be experiencing the same clueless and rude behavior in people. How is your family doing? Your son and dh? How are you feeling? I am keeping good thoughts for all of you and wishing your family members a full recovery.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I am sorry we seem to be experiencing the same clueless and rude behavior in people. How is your family doing? Your son and dh? How are you feeling? I am keeping good thoughts for all of you and wishing your family members a full recovery.

Thanks, Missy. You're lovely to ask. The family is doing really well--I'm having to remind them to keep resting. I'm feeling fine. Our doctors seem to think I might be one of those people who experience very minimal symptoms as it's apparently unusual to care for family members and not come down with it --fingers crossed they're right! I'm chafing a bit at these last few days of quarantine as I'm desperate to go replenish supplies for the kids I volunteer with, but otherwise I'm well. Please keep taking good care of yourself and Greg (and vice versa!).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Missy. You're lovely to ask. The family is doing really well--I'm having to remind them to keep resting. I'm feeling fine. Our doctors seem to think I might be one of those people who experience very minimal symptoms as it's apparently unusual to care for family members and not come down with it --fingers crossed they're right! I'm chafing a bit at these last few days of quarantine as I'm desperate to go replenish supplies for the kids I volunteer with, but otherwise I'm well. Please keep taking good care of yourself and Greg (and vice versa!).

I am very pleased you are A OK and may that continue. I read an article last night (and not sure if I can find it again as my computer has been acting wonky probably from over use lol) that said actually only 10% of family members end up contracting Covid 19 if a family member has it...I think that was the percentage. Since it is not as airborne as some illnesses but definitely somewhat airborne. Let me see if I can find it and I will share it here. Stay well!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@jaaron here it is. Of course IDK how accurate this is or if we really know anything for certain yet since we are at the beginning still and learning new things every day practically about this virus. But fyi.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, that is not happening. Earlier this month, CDC scientists reported that the rate of symptomatic infection among a patient’s household members was 10.5%. The rate among other close contacts was 0.45%. In the case of one particular patient, none of his five household members, although continuously exposed to the patient during the time he was isolated at home, tested positive for the virus.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good to hear you and your families are doing ok @jaaron
It will be interesting to see if you have antibodies...Scientists are working on antibody-tests .

I know three husband-wife patients where he got sick and she cared for him and tested negative for Covid19.
Testing capacities in Germany are
quite impressive. They said they are at about 360 000/week and are forecasting 500 000 next week

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To curb people from coming to Florida, as there is now a lot of community spread in South Florida, there will now be checkpoints on the highway checking license plates specifically from NY, NJ, CT and LA.

No vacation rentals for 14 days.

And yes, we still have the 190+ flights from NY. People from hotspots are supposed to shelter in place for 14 days when they get here but I doubt they actually do it.

People who are snowbirds now don't want to leave, which will put a strain on certain areas. Stores around here bulk up when its snow bird season and pare down when its not. We will hit hurricane season June 1. I know I've talked about that before but its a big deal and its supposed to be an active season this year.

Add to this the people trying to come into Florida, taking up hotel space or trying to find a rental. If these people are still here during hurricane season and we get one on either coast (or the whole peninsula lets be real) where will they evacuate to?

Fact of the matter is some of them leaving their home state to come here will be carrying the virus with them. Either they won't report their illness because scared to or don't know that they even have it, and this also puts police/fire/EMT's at risk.

Doubtful that they won't go to a grocery store or some place else for supplies, so, they'll spread the virus around even more.

Here's whats dismal; Palm beach county is one of the bigger counties but has very lowest amount of tests done. FEMA denied us to have a drive through test center here. There's one due to open (not sure when) in West Palm Beach hopefully soon.

The unfortunate part is the state as a whole is not under a shut down order. I think some of us know why....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To curb people from coming to Florida, as there is now a lot of community spread in South Florida, there will now be checkpoints on the highway checking license plates specifically from NY, NJ, CT and LA.

And yes, we still have the 190+ flights from NY. People from hotspots are supposed to shelter in place for 14 days when they get here but I doubt they actually do it.

People who are snowbirds now don't want to leave, which will put a strain on certain areas. Stores around here bulk up when its snow bird season and pare down when its not. We will hit hurricane season June 1. I know I've talked about that before but its a big deal and its supposed to be an active season this year.

Add to this the people trying to come into Florida, taking up hotel space or trying to find a rental. If these people are still here during hurricane season and we get one on either coast (or the whole peninsula lets be real) where will they evacuate to?

Fact of the matter is some of them leaving their home state to come here will be carrying the virus with them. Either they won't report their illness because scared to or don't know that they even have it, and this also puts police/fire/EMT's at risk.

Doubtful that they won't go to a grocery store or some place else for supplies, so, they'll spread the virus around even more.

Here's whats dismal; Palm beach county is one of the bigger counties but has very lowest amount of tests done. FEMA denied us to have a drive through test center here. There's one due to open (not sure when) in West Palm Beach hopefully soon.

The unfortunate part is the state as a whole is not under a shut down order. I think some of us know why....

It’s an awful situation all over.
People often behave selfishly. Sadly I am not surprised. :(

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s an awful situation all over.
People often behave selfishly. Sadly I am not surprised. :(

I get why some people do it of course, but you've got people trying to outrun this by thousands of miles. Happens when thre's a hurricane here, folks clog up the roads to leave (which rightly so, some have literally no where to go. But for this thing, this event, FL does not have the resources that NY has to fight this thing and many of our supplies keeps getting diverted to NYC. The whole story isn't being told in the news.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get why some people do it of course, but you've got people trying to outrun this by thousands of miles. Happens when thre's a hurricane here, folks clog up the roads to leave (which rightly so, some have literally no where to go. But for this thing, this event, FL does not have the resources that NY has to fight this thing and many of our supplies keeps getting diverted to NYC. The whole story isn't being told in the news.

I am sure the whole story isn't being shared but I just watched Cuomo give a press conference and he said the other states are bidding up ventilator costs. We bid 25K per ventilator and he said (as an example) Fla bid 30K and then California bid 35K etc...We have 52,000 Covid 19 cases. No state has near as much as NY. People are going to die here soon if we cannot get ventilators. There has to be some way to work this out so we can minimize loss of life. There just has to be a way. We can all work together and make this happen.

And by the way NYC doesn't have the resources either. It is a dire situation everywhere I get it but right now the immediate need is NYC. But you are right. We don't have all the details and all we get is what we get. But without doubt NYC's cases are staggering in number and doubling all the time.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Numbers right now.

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 1.37.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 1.37.42 PM.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the states are gong to be shut down very soon. At least NY and NJ from what I can tell. So maybe that will help you guys in Florida.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
We have shut down our town. People are staying home, losing their jobs and some businesses will never recover. We have ONE confirmed case somewhere in the county (maybe not even in our town) contracted by travel and he is isolated, recovering at home. We have no known community spread. From what I can tell we are all doing what we can which is staying home, respecting social distancing and sacrificing to minimize the affect on our community. Like so many other places our nursing homes are closed and I know people are suffering not seeing their loved ones. It makes me kinda furious to hear that people are hopping on planes traveling in and out of hot spot areas like it doesn’t matter and that is still allowed. What the heck!!!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This article kind of suggests that grocery shopping is worse, or at least equal risk to take out food.

"Supermarkets can provide an "ideal setting" for virus transfer, says Prof Sally Bloomfield
Many local restaurants have repurposed their businesses as takeaways. Reputable chains and good restaurant kitchens are most likely to be geared towards professional, hygienic food preparation, so there would be minimal risk from a freshly cooked takeaway meal. "

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I get grocery delivery a la Peapod. It’s no contact. Then all non perishables go into garage for a 3 day quarantine. The refrigerator items get their own quarantine shelf. I wear gloves while doing this unpacking and wash up afterwards. I’m getting a delivery tomorrow and should be good for a month after.

No one is going to convince me takeout is safe. I live in a country with 250 cases.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results