shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I found a pair of OECs!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: earrings, yes I can understand Deco's point, and if you decide to do the 3 stone with the smaller pair, then OK. I'm just sayin' that for all the work you put into these, I don't think I could stand to not look at them all the time. And it is a mind thing...I have my studs and it's all just sparkle for me, so I don't need a different facet pattern of sparkle, if that makes sense.

All three look great together, but I can see what you mean by ratio. Personally, I think it would be amazing, but you have always preferred the 2:1. Something to think about. The finger coverage would be great though!

Yes, macros are unforgiving. My two sidestones look somewhat different in macro, but in person, give off the same faceting pattern...and even the crown and tables a bit different. But I swear, at normal viewing, they match.

And since you wanted studs, in the end, I guess there is nothing wrong with using these and getting a bigger pair than you expected! Ooh, decisions, decisions!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
At this exact moment, all I know is I want to keep these diamonds. They are too amazing, and I paid too little, to pass them along.

That means I am selling the w-prong mount, selling another mount I was hoarding, selling a smaller OEC I have, and returning the quarter carat OECs (or passing them along to another PSer if someone wants them, knowing matches pairs are hard to find)! Gotta clear the decks since this unexpected matched pair was not in the budget :halo:

As to what I will do with them, I am pondering. I might set them into very inexpensive earring mounts just so I can insure them, and enjoy them, and also see if I actually like having studs this size! I did not really wear/appreicate my 0.70cttw pair, they were not big enough :devil: , so these at double the cttw. should get a test drive don't you think?

Then I can take my time and decide where to go from there ::)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer, you've loved and wanted a 3 stone ring for as long as I can remember!! Plus I remember a post where you once said you didn't wear the studs you used to own very often. So with that said, I would absolutely go for the 3 stone!!! It will seriously look amazing.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1332040242|3151159 said:
Dreamer, you've loved and wanted a 3 stone ring for as long as I can remember!! Plus I remember a post where you once said you didn't wear the studs you used to own very often. So with that said, I would absolutely go for the 3 stone!!! It will seriously look amazing.

Yeah, I think huggies are WAY more my style than studs.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A suggestion: set them into studs first, before selling off everything else, keep the options open until you're sure about the studs one way or the other 8) you can bank on clearing *something*, just make completely, totally sure of what that something should be!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, they would make gorgeous milgrain bezel studs or same on a leverback with drop. If you didn't use them in the ring, I wouldn't hesitate to use them for earrings! I am thinking you really want a larger solitaire, and you do need to set your priorities to get what you really want. (I am repeating that to myself as I type!). If you kept them, could you still make the 3 stone with the rubies? Then you could just resell the 4mm stones.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both points well taken, nothing precipitous! I will wait and see the 4mm stones. I do not *have* to sell anything, I guess I just feel a little guilty if I keep the earrings and have the three stone with 4mm sides (diamonds or rubies) :oops:

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1332034464|3151115 said:
I think this photo is a good lesson about OECs, don't judge too harshly based on macro photos. The table size, diameter, and crown height, seem to have the biggest impact on perceived similarity in person.

Love your stones! They look like a great earring or side stone pair! The sentence above is so very true, particularly in sizes under 1ct. With earrings, you have a little more wiggle room on the similarity factor because, well, there's a smiling face separating the stones :) For ring side stones, because they're closer together and seen simultaneously, they need to be a closer match, but subtle differences in faceting will not be noticeable. Things like face up size, table size, culet size and, for a ring, crown height, are the key things you see.

It's remarkable that you found 3 stones individually that work so well together. Grace and I have been trying to put together some OEC pairs and 3-stone suites and it's not easy! I personally just acquired a 1.20ctw pair for myself (bezel studs, I've never been an earring person and they look HUGE to me, lol!), but I cheated and bought a twin stone ring that already had extremely well matched stones, so I got lucky. I've also been trying to find a pair of 20 pointers to make birthday earrings for my daughter and I've had a heck of a time. I finally took some little side stones out of an inexpensive ring and they are a decent match, though one has a visible culet and the other doesn't, and it's driving me a tad bonkers, lol.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And I found my dream setting.

dreamthreestone.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1332044774|3151190 said:
:appl:

ETA, got pics from the top?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1332044907|3151193 said:
Dreamer_D|1332044774|3151190 said:
:appl:

ETA, got pics from the top?

ETA 2: Strange, I google image search for three stone settings and that one never came up before, but it came up on my normal search just now! I was going to say that it looked like it has great finger coverage, but the original is with a 2c center. Hm, we only need to raise about $43,000 to buy it, lol.

It's lovely though...can you have a repro made?

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: that would be amazing!!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't see why a repro couldn't be made.

The double prongs need to be more delicate, but I really love the prongs in between the stones, the V-shaped ones. Don't know what they are called.

dreamthreestone2.jpg

dreamthreestone3.jpg

dreamthreestone4.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1332046680|3151204 said:

The double prongs need to be more delicate, but I really love the prongs in between the stones, the V-shaped ones. Don't know what they are called.

It's fab! Would you spend the mula to get it done and have you heart sing over this puppy? :love:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1332046815|3151207 said:

It's fab! Would you spend the mula to get it done and have you heart sing over this puppy? :love:

HA! That is the question. But that is a setting I could really love. My only hesitation is it would look better with a slightly larger center stone, proportion wise, in my opinion. But... *shrug* Food for thought.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1332047304|3151210 said:
TravelingGal|1332046815|3151207 said:

HA! That is the question. But that is a setting I could really love. My only hesitation is it would look better with a slightly larger center stone, proportion wise, in my opinion. But... *shrug* Food for thought.

Hahaha...for some reason that made me totally laugh, because now that you have the larger sides, I could see you spending your time on a hunt for a larger matching center. It never ends (but that's the fun!!!)

FWIW, all the 3 stone rings I've found (when I search for settings) where I ooh and aah over the "look" have been with 2 c center. See the one that Coati posted on my thread (the 3 octagons which is my main inspiration right now). That ring is 2 c center and 1.25 c sides EACH. I'll post the handshot below. Yeah, I could rock that. :cheeky:

h.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe when I am old and wise like you ;)) But I could not go that large. I felt uncomfortable with my 1.7ct center. I live and work in an area where no one -- and I mean *no one* -- wears a diamond larger than half a carat. In reality, a three stone with a 1ct center and two .70ct sides is crazy big and blingy. I just think proportion wise it would be a little better with a 6.8mm center. BUT I don't know now if I am interested in pursuing that. Been there done that ;))

I just found a photo with a hand shot of a three stone with three one carat stones. I like how it looks, and it certainly has presence and also looks very different than my Aurora, and my diamonds would have smaller sides so a little more of a graduated look. My finger size is larger than the pictured woman, I can tell by the coverage, but still, it is good to see. Its hard to find hand shots.

threeonecarats.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DD is that the ring from Fourtane? It looks familiar! I love that side view.

And those 2 stones look fantastic and not 'little' either! Great finds!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1332048499|3151215 said:
Maybe when I am old and wise like you ;)) But I could not go that large. I felt uncomfortable with my 1.7ct center. I live and work in an area where no one -- and I mean *no one* -- wears a diamond larger than half a carat. In reality, a three stone with a 1ct center and two .70ct sides is crazy big and blingy. I just think proportion wise it would be a little better with a 6.8mm center. BUT I don't know now if I am interested in pursuing that. Been there done that ;))

I just found a photo with a hand shot of a three stone with three one carat stones. I like how it looks, and it certainly has presence and also looks very different than my Aurora, and my diamonds would have smaller sides so a little more of a graduated look. My finger size is larger than the pictured woman, I can tell by the coverage, but still, it is good to see. Its hard to find hand shots.

Heh heh, no, not old and wise (ok, maybe old), but I live in EL-LAY, girlfriend...that ring probably wouldn't even get a second look.

In actuality, I think a 1.5 c center could work for me, but I am happy with the sizes I have. But I want the finger coverage...don't want to see a lot of shank, so not sure how possible that could be. The photo I posted is probably too big (too much overhang) but I wouldn't turn it down!

My friend who had the triplets has a 3 stone Neil Lane. It's a gorgeous ring, but all three stones are the same size (.7s or more, I think - could even be 1 c each as her ring looks as big as the one you posted.) and I have to say, as pretty as it is, I prefer some sort of graduation in size. Obviously in her case, she wanted the stones to be the same size since they represented her boys.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara|1332048745|3151216 said:
DD is that the ring from Fourtane? It looks familiar! I love that side view.

And those 2 stones look fantastic and not 'little' either! Great finds!

It is from fourtane!

And the matched pair don't look little. At the risk of sounding like the size snob I am ::) I find that the 5.5 mark is where diamonds shift from looking a little small to looking a good size, to my eye anyways. These two stones look good to me. The yare so cute nestled beside each other!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1332049001|3151218 said:

Heh heh, no, not old and wise (ok, maybe old), but I live in EL-LAY, girlfriend...that ring probably wouldn't even get a second look.

In actuality, I think a 1.5 c center could work for me, but I am happy with the sizes I have. But I want the finger coverage...don't want to see a lot of shank, so not sure how possible that could be. The photo I posted is probably too big (too much overhang) but I wouldn't turn it down!

My friend who had the triplets has a 3 stone Neil Lane. It's a gorgeous ring, but all three stones are the same size (.7s or more, I think - could even be 1 c each as her ring looks as big as the one you posted.) and I have to say, as pretty as it is, I prefer some sort of graduation in size. Obviously in her case, she wanted the stones to be the same size since they represented her boys.

Have you tried on her ring? I only mention it because I know you have small fingers and 16.5mm in diamond spread is HUGE! You will see some shank, but when you fingers are in repose and touching all you will see is diamond. You do not want any diamonds between your hands. For me, I prefer plain shank between the fingers and even a little over the fingers too. I lace my fingers together a lot, or your fingers get smooshed together, a plain shank is so much more comfortable! It is my only beef with the Aurora, it is a true half eternity and it is not comfortable in every way I use my hands.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1332049777|3151220 said:
TravelingGal|1332049001|3151218 said:

Have you tried on her ring? I only mention it because I know you have small fingers and 16.5mm in diamond spread is HUGE! You will see some shank, but when you fingers are in repose and touching all you will see is diamond. You do not want any diamonds between your hands. For me, I prefer plain shank between the fingers and even a little over the fingers too. I lace my fingers together a lot, or your fingers get smooshed together, a plain shank is so much more comfortable! It is my only beef with the Aurora, it is a true half eternity and it is not comfortable in every way I use my hands.

I think I did, and it was comfy. Maybe it was smaller than 1c, each.

Hey, found this. Pretty much the specs for your suite right now...gorgeous, now I want bigger sides, hee hee!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/86798666/art-deco-platinum-diamond-3-stone

il_570xN.288610319.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OOh I love that. I wonder what she was asking for it :Up_to_something:

Those are the v-type prongs I like. There is another ring like that I have seen on another forum and I need to find it. It is amazing and I have always admired it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1332050844|3151226 said:

Those are the v-type prongs I like. There is another ring like that I have seen on another forum and I need to find it. It is amazing and I have always admired it.

Probably way too much. Her stuff is overpriced for ebay, IMHO, but always pretty.

But how's this for a deal? 1.7 center and .5 sides in a octagon bezel ring sold for 4K....

http://www.skinnerinc.com/asp/fullCataloguese.asp?salelot=2487+++++501+&refno=++827723

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1332034464|3151115 said:
I think this photo is a good lesson about OECs, don't judge too harshly based on macro photos. The table size, diameter, and crown height, seem to have the biggest impact on perceived similarity in person.

I'm a bit late to the party, but I totally agree. I remember trying to explain to someone here not that long ago that I was matching based several different things, including things that you don't think you can see like table size and crown height. I think this is why it takes so many tries with earrings for me, I just keep buying until I get it right and then sell everything else off.

You are very lucky to have found a set that quickly. These photos are proof that all your hard work has paid off!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
dreamer_dachsie said:
And a little photo shop to show them nearer one another.
wow

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1332036414|3151135 said:
... and returning the quarter carat OECs (or passing them along to another PSer if someone wants them, knowing matches pairs are hard to find)

Ooh! I might be interested! Please let me know if/when you're ready to sell them! :naughty:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal said:
Dreamer_D|1332050844|3151226 said:

Probably way too much. Her stuff is overpriced for ebay, IMHO, but always pretty.

But how's this for a deal? 1.7 center and .5 sides in a octagon bezel ring sold for 4K....

http://www.skinnerinc.com/asp/fullCataloguese.asp?salelot=2487+++++501+&refno=++827723
what??? Thats insane!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Was it this one you were thinking of Dreamer? I love this setting.

cricketgrrl2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results