color
clarity

I think I found a pair of OECs!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1331950917|3150537 said:
onedrop|1331950663|3150532 said:
T-Gal makes a really good point here:

Personally, I'd never ever waste any time and energy (and you spend a LOT of energy) on setting stones in studs again. You just can't enjoy the fruit of your labor because you can't gaze at the faceting all day.

And that should have said "spent" not "spend". To have spent 4 months looking for stones to stick them on your ears? No no no! ;(

I agree with you! You are convincing me.

If I find when the ring is made that I don't like wearing it with my Aurora, or something, then I can always reset the Aurora diamonds into huggies and a traditional trellis five-stone ring, two things I have always wanted!

I feel like if I set these diamonds into a three stone I will look down at it as a freaking badge of HONOUR for the time I spent -- fun time but time none the less -- finding such rare and lovely stones. And it would be such a special representation of my family and the last five years of marriage. I feel all verklempt ;(

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331951919|3150543 said:
TravelingGal|1331950552|3150531 said:
Dreamer_D|1331950337|3150526 said:
Awww glad I provide some entertainment! :bigsmile:

Yeah, it is a lot of time to find nice OECs on ebay, and even more to find two that match -- and a dose of luck. I surf when hubby and I watch TV at night, and I have been hunting and buying OECs for about four months now. But written out like that... it does sound a little.... wachadoo! :sick: :rodent: :o

:::whispering - I think it's because youse people are anal::::::::: :cheeky:

Noooo... cheap and discerning. A difficult combo. As it happens, the three OECs I have are eerily well matched even by my own discerning eye. Small tables, relatively shallow crowns as they go in OECs, good optical symetry, colors all match up... it was meant to be? I will *never* come accross a suite of stones like this again. I am not one who can handle perceptible difference in color or noticable crown heights. This is the "perfect storm" of OECs for me I think.

All the points you make are valid. I too have learned setting should not be cheaped out on, they make or break it. I would not want a pave masterpiece, but rather a fluid platinum trellis type ring, clean lines and modern. I know that is not everyones taste for old stones, but it is my style and taste. I think it would only ( :rolleyes: ) cost about $2000, maybe even less. I can see it in my head already. Is that a sign?

I admit, when I realized these stones matched so well I got a rush of giddy excitement. And a three stone with the 1ct and these sides would be very me. Bold and flashy. WHile I adore the w-prong with .25ct sides in theory, in practice I believe bigger diamonds are always better because you can appreciate the faceting more.

I think a trellis setting would be lovely and timeless. Part of my battle is that I'm in love with some of the more ornate deco settings I see right now, but I am a SIMPLE girl at heart. My Jeff Cooper, while never turning heads, is a ring I still love and never tire of! So the challenge is to create something that is a nod to the period, but still very very simple.

I think you have the makings of the ring you've always wanted. If a perfect 7mm+ comes up in the future, it will find you (and you it!) This is the ring you've worked for. If I ever get mine done, it will be special for the same reason...and I didn't spend even a fraction of the time you did on finding your stones. I just found what I wanted in one hit (although you wouldn't love it since the crown height on one is different...good thing I'm more cheap than discerning, ha!)

What are you going to do with the 4mm you ordered from DZ?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pity that order went through before I made this little discovery :rolleyes: But I never in a million years thought this 0.65ct would be such a match for the 0.70ct, and a ring was not on my radar.

Anyways, if they are beautiful I will likely see if any other PSers want them because matched 4mm pairs are so hard to come by and I hate to see them go back into the abyss for someone who doesn't appreciate them to buy. Ilya seemed a little pained when he sent me the invoice and he recalled the price he quoted me for the stones a little over two months ago. So maybe it will be a good deal for someeone else. Or I will just return them. I will need to clear house if I am going to make the mega three stone happen.

ETA:

Oh, and I love your Jeff Cooper, so we have similar taste in jewelery. I don't know how you can do sleek and timeless and ornate and art deco at the same time... you pondered and spent a long time on your Amelia ring, and then the end result is classic and timeless and awesome. I am sure this will be the same for you!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer

I hope you didn't think I was being rude in my last post! :oops:

You are not entertainment. You are an education. I love to see the thought process and the eventual, beautiful outcome. :love:

If I didn't explain myself properly, I apologise. I just meant I love going on the journey with you. That also goes for all my other PS'ers journeys too. It is also a lot cheaper than constantly doing my own!!! :bigsmile:
Plus I still get to bask in the joy and beauty of the final piece.

:read:

Edited to make sense :???:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOWZA!! Those are GORGEOUS!! :love: :love: :love:

You're amazing, Dreamer. I can't imagine ever being able to find one single thing remotely like those off the auction sites, let alone a matching pair. I bow to you!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
susimoo|1331958289|3150601 said:
Dreamer

I hope you didn't think I was being rude in my last post! :oops:

You are not entertainment. You are an education. I love to see the thought process and the eventual, beautiful outcome. :love:

If I didn't explain myself properly, I apologise. I just meant I love going on the journey with you. That also goes for all my other PS'ers journeys too. It is also a lot cheaper than constantly doing my own!!! :bigsmile:
Plus I still get to bask in the joy and beauty of the final piece.

:read:

Edited to make sense :???:

Noooooo I am MORE than happy to be entertainment OR education :bigsmile: I also enjoy others' journeys, it is so fun to see it all develop.

BTW your avatar is so gorgeous! :love: As is the subject of course. Such an amazing jewel to own.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Phoenix|1331958967|3150604 said:
WOWZA!! Those are GORGEOUS!! :love: :love: :love:

You're amazing, Dreamer. I can't imagine ever being able to find one single thing remotely like those off the auction sites, let alone a matching pair. I bow to you!!

Wow! Such a compliment from the grande dame herself! ::)

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer, I know you are insanely selective (and I mean that as a compliment...and I come from a similar pov myself)...but have you checked with IDJ and LOGR for the setting? I just got a quote from Stephan for the #1 style earrings in my post and he was extremely reasonable, using well cut stones. I know that you're not talking about stones and gold prices are what gold prices are, but typically, IDJ and LOGR seem to have lower labor costs than some of the other PS vendors. I'd exhaust all avenues before you make a decision on the setting. After all, what's a few more hours when you've already spent so many finding the stones???

Btw, I probably spent about the same amount of time finding my studs and now I'm kinda feeling sad that I won't get to gaze at their gorgeous faceting when they're on my ears. I'd definitely go the 3 stone route vs. earrings. If I didn't already have a collection of RHR, I'd probably make another ring so that I could enjoy these stones all day.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
YAY! So glad you found some PERFECTLY MATCHED STONES! I love them! Isn't it wonderful when hours and hours of scrolling through ebay listings pays off??? SO happy for you!

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
I can't wait to see the end result ! 3 OEC trellis ring ,it is going to be absolutely beautiful !

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Uh oh.... I hate to admit...

I am not sure I like the way the 5.65 stones look paired with the 6.2mm stone! :oops: All three look so similar in size, I think a bigger center or smaller sides is a moder pleasing combination. Its hard to visualize, though, even with the stones loose. I used my 6mm fakey stone in the line up to help picture it. I am a little torn. I love the idea of an OEC three stone, and these three stones are so well matched it is sick! But the proportions... I am just not sure!

And I had an even more evil thought though. That 4mm pair I have coming. Can you say 4mm - 5.6mm - 6.2mm - 5.6mm - 4mm? BAD Dreamer. BAD!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331996871|3150795 said:

I am not sure I like the way the 5.65 stones look paired with the 6.2mm stone! :oops: All three look so similar in size, I think a bigger center or smaller sides is a moder pleasing combination. Its hard to visualize, though, even with the stones loose. I used my 6mm fakey stone in the line up to help picture it. I am a little torn. I love the idea of an OEC three stone, and these three stones are so well matched it is sick! But the proportions... I am just not sure!

And I had an even more evil thought though. That 4mm pair I have coming. Can you say 4mm - 5.6mm - 6.2mm - 5.6mm - 4mm? BAD Dreamer. BAD!

OH MY YES YES YES!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: I think you should be saying that too!!!! OMG - killer ring!

Go for it - life is too short not to get what you want if it makes you happy. We are all a "long time dead".... You know you love the bling, you know you love OEC's, you know it still represents your 5th anniversary... I'm thinking the sun moon and stars have all collided and dropped a big gift in your lap! :naughty:

MAKE IT SO!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They are not well matched enough for me???? ;( Oh, gosh, I fear my perfectionism is going to cost me!!! :bigsmile:

Seriously, they look great! And the idea of a graduated 5 stone ring is just amazing!!!!!! :love: That would make much more sense with the sizes of the stones you have now. If the 4mm stones are a good match, it will be such a miracle that you should certainly do it. Otherwise, I would be very tempted to want the 4mm ones myself if they are a great match! :lol:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
But I already have a big bligy band! Would you want two?

I know this is a strange "problem" to have. I was not looking for a matched suite.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
of course! Variety is the spice of life - set this one slightly differently - make it a bezel or in rose gold or something out of your zone (for an example- may not be right for these stones, but it makes it 'different' yet the same)

Make it a RHR, or a journey pendant...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1331990051|3150710 said:
Dreamer, I know you are insanely selective (and I mean that as a compliment...and I come from a similar pov myself)...but have you checked with IDJ and LOGR for the setting? I just got a quote from Stephan for the #1 style earrings in my post and he was extremely reasonable, using well cut stones. I know that you're not talking about stones and gold prices are what gold prices are, but typically, IDJ and LOGR seem to have lower labor costs than some of the other PS vendors. I'd exhaust all avenues before you make a decision on the setting. After all, what's a few more hours when you've already spent so many finding the stones???

Btw, I probably spent about the same amount of time finding my studs and now I'm kinda feeling sad that I won't get to gaze at their gorgeous faceting when they're on my ears. I'd definitely go the 3 stone route vs. earrings. If I didn't already have a collection of RHR, I'd probably make another ring so that I could enjoy these stones all day.

Thanks for the suggestion Yenny. I am in no rush to make a decision of set these stones, I want to make sure I do it RIGHT, as TGal says ;)) As I sit here the diamonds are sitting loose in a little box in front of me so I can look at them. So yes, I agree you can stare at these guys all day!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1331997589|3150803 said:

They are not well matched enough for me???? ;( Oh, gosh, I fear my perfectionism is going to cost me!!! :bigsmile:

Seriously, they look great! And the idea of a graduated 5 stone ring is just amazing!!!!!! :love: That would make much more sense with the sizes of the stones you have now. If the 4mm stones are a good match, it will be such a miracle that you should certainly do it. Otherwise, I would be very tempted to want the 4mm ones myself if they are a great match! :lol:

Although I agree it would be amazing, part of my thinking about this project was to have something *different* than my blingy band, you know? Something a little more traditional engagement style. So another band, while diva-licious, would not meet hat desire of mine. Or maybe that desire is misguided. Maybe Enerchi is right, variety, spice, life, all that ::) But you are all about balance. I only have the Aurora right now and my solitaire! No earrings, no pendant. That is not very balanced, no?

I will definitely offer the 4mm stones up to other PSers rather than return them if they are really nice! The photos from the vendor were good but not great IMO.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
davi_el_mejor|1331995474|3150771 said:
YAY! So glad you found some PERFECTLY MATCHED STONES! I love them! Isn't it wonderful when hours and hours of scrolling through ebay listings pays off??? SO happy for you!

Yes, it is like achieveing a small miracle! We must be a little perverse, david, to enjoy it, don't you think? ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Definitely not. It'd look like a (pale) imitation of the super blingy Aurora :sick: The threestone Wprong is completely different stylistically, especially if you decide on the rubies, and earrings - well - that's a staple!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1332002288|3150835 said:

Definitely not. It'd look like a (pale) imitation of the super blingy Aurora :sick: The threestone Wprong is completely different stylistically, especially if you decide on the rubies, and earrings - well - that's a staple!

Harsh words, but I think you may be right! There really is nothing that compares to the bling wattage of RBs, and all of them together like they are in my Aurora... well there is not comparison.

As you have reminded me so many times, setting do not *have* to be permanent ::) That is hard for me. I would like this ring to be a piece I love in its entirety and forever, but that is a lot of pressure for me :errrr: Better no to think that way, despite the symbolism I want this ring to have. History clearly shows I am NOT a hoarder/collector/sentimentalist.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh dreamer- you have so many options. :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, I do think a 3 stone with these would be amazing. But I don't think it's going to be similar at all with your Aurora. The faceting differences and the performance differences plus the proportions are going to be WOW amazing, but I think it will be very different than your Aurora. If you were talking about adding the 4mm sides for a 5 stone, yeah similar to the Aurora in looks. But with THESE in a three stone? Nope.

I know you said you aren't sure if you like the proportions. But imagine the sidestones tilted. I think it will help the look of them to have them at an angle. And slightly set back from the center. It will visually change the proportions.

I kinda have to agree with having killer stones on the ears. On the one hand, AWESOME, on the other hand... can't see them to appreciate them.

And OECs are so hard to match, maybe I'm wacky but if it's a match to your center then to me... that's meant to be.

If you need a mount, call IDJ and tell Yekutiel you need a platinum three stone mount, CAD custom.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrats Dreamer!!! Seriously ... there are only 3 words I can think of. Needles in haystacks. :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1332003696|3150850 said:
Yssie|1332002288|3150835 said:

Harsh words, but I think you may be right! There really is nothing that compares to the bling wattage of RBs, and all of them together like they are in my Aurora... well there is not comparison.

As you have reminded me so many times, setting do not *have* to be permanent ::) That is hard for me. I would like this ring to be a piece I love in its entirety and forever, but that is a lot of pressure for me :errrr: Better no to think that way, despite the symbolism I want this ring to have. History clearly shows I am NOT a hoarder/collector/sentimentalist.

Just that I know that was one of your concerns!

In theory ITA re. killer OECs in earrings - I've definitely bemoaned the fact that I don't get to enjoy my OECs in my ears! But... since I wouldn't ever invest in stones I don't like, using stones that I think are "less spectacular" doesn't enter the equation, and while objectively it does IMO make more sense to have blingy RBs in the ears I've kinda got what I've got, y'know? You *have* a perfectly matched pair of perfect stones. You don't have significant diamond studs. If you *want* significant diamond studs, seems like the perfect opportunity :love: :love: :love:

LOL. Of course best to get it right first time if you can, but if you change your mind later - well, you change your mind and you deal with it then! After all, symbolism is really entirely what we make of it...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the smaller stones come in & look fab w/the 1ct -- here's what I would do. I'd make the three stone in the setting you already have with those pieces & take the two .7 ish stones & do bezeled miligrained DANGLES. That way -- you really would appreciate the difference between those & regular old RBs in the ear -- they'd dance around your face and be flattering. You could sell them later if you DIDN'T end up appreciating them as much as you'd hoped.

ETA: I have bezeled miligrained OEC studs (though much smaller @ about .68tcw) -- and, though TG said it's a waste to have gorgeous OECs on your ears -- I do not agree! I love the different kind of sparkle I get from my antique studs than I would have from regular old (even ideal) RBs. Maybe it's a "mind unique" thing. But I adore them. I don't think I'd get studs much larger than those though -- for your size, I'd start thinking dangles. For some reason I just don't like big studs.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rhino|1332025696|3151038 said:
Congrats Dreamer!!! Seriously ... there are only 3 words I can think of. Needles in haystacks. :appl:

;)) Its even more impressive when you see this. I bought all three from different vendors at different times. The one on the right is a 0.70ct GIA J VS1, the one in the middle is a 0.97ct EGL J VS2, and the one on the left has no report yet. Not a bad suite, eh?

When I see these photos in particular I feel like there is no choice, the diamonds must go in a three stone.

THREEoecearrings 013.jpg

THREEoecearrings 016.jpg

THREEoecearrings 014.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And a little photo shop to show them nearer one another.

THREEoecearrings 014b.jpg

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY FOR DREAMER!!!!!!!!

Get the three stone!!!! it's what you have always wanted!!!!

I think that if the sidestones are angled just right you will love the proportions. I would set it in a relatively inexpensive three stone setting that is well made, keep looking for a 7mm center that matches...after all, what are you going to do with all this free time?!?!?!

The .4s would make lovely bezel drops off of leverbacks (like the earrings I bought when I sold my wedding dress...)...just sayin...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is in an interesting photo that shows the matched pair in rather unforgiving detail. At this level of inspection, they are not identical in faceting. Actually, they both look a little OMC-like to my eye. But in person, they look so very very similar. I can tell them apart by the culets, the one on the right is slightly bigger. But my husband cannot tell them apart.

I think this photo is a good lesson about OECs, don't judge too harshly based on macro photos. The table size, diameter, and crown height, seem to have the biggest impact on perceived similarity in person.

8oecearrings 006.JPG

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your 3 stones look beautiful together :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results