shape
carat
color
clarity

I set my spessartite after a decade

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I bought a spessartite (spessartine) garnet a decade ago from Jeff White, but then we bought an apartment and I pretty much stopped buying jewelry. Now I've set it at last. The setting is by DanielM on Etsy, his signature u-prong solitaire. I chose rose gold, to match the orange of the stone. (I understand that Dan went through a difficult period a little while ago, but I found him very responsive and great to work with.)

It was hard to get accurate pictures. My phone kept interpreting the orange stone as yellow and the rose gold as yellow or silver. I finally had the idea of putting clementines (mandarine oranges) in the picture, since the camera doesn't seem to have a problem with them and the stone is exactly the same color. It worked pretty well, although the rose gold doesn't always come out the right color. The yellow flower in some of the pictures is to encourage the camera not to interpret the rose gold as yellow.

I love this ring.
IMG_5243.jpg IMG_5245.jpg IMG_5246.jpg IMG_5228.jpg IMG_5229.jpg IMG_5210.jpg IMG_5218.jpg IMG_5222.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here's the original thread about the stone:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love the ring! The spess looks so intense and I really like the simplicity of the setting. Your photos are lovely too, absolute citrus-y deliciousness!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this!
:love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s getting harder to find nice true orange soda material, so you have a nice gem there!! I have a few I need to set as well from old material, Beautiful stone and ring. Very stackable too. Enjoy!!!!

SparkleC

Shiny_Rock
Oh the color is stunning! Looks like a orange crush! A spessartite is on my wish list. Yours may be the one I use as an example of what I'd like to find! Love the elegant simplicity of the setting you chose. Enjoy every sparkle! =)2

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very nice ring! I prefer simpler settings, for the most part, so I love that U-shaped setting :) It really complements the spessartite.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, fellow colored stone lovers. Correction: I got the garnet from Gemrite, not Jeff White. (I can't figure out how to edit my post--is that no longer possible?)

TL, I believe you bought this stone originally, but returned it because you preferred redder spessartites. So I wouldn't have it myself without you! I'm very glad I got it when I did.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool! Love the simple setting, the double-claws, and the rose gold!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, fellow colored stone lovers. Correction: I got the garnet from Gemrite, not Jeff White. (I can't figure out how to edit my post--is that no longer possible?)

TL, I believe you bought this stone originally, but returned it because you preferred redder spessartites. So I wouldn't have it myself without you! I'm very glad I got it when I did.

I did return a spessartite to gemrite, but it was very very yellow and heavily included.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I did return a spessartite to gemrite, but it was very very yellow and heavily included.

Yes, that's this stone--you'll see where we discussed it ten years ago, if you look at the original thread (which I linked to above). It's heavily included, and you found it to be too yellow. I like the color, which is the color of pumpkins and mandarine oranges (rather than the redder oranges that you prefer), and I'm able to accept the inclusions. You can see the inclusions in one of the photos with the oranges, the one where it's nestled in among them in the shade. It's yellower in direct sun, redder in indirect light.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GREAT combo of stone and setting! Is this a Loliondo Spessartite? They have those sugar like inclusions and are often very included.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
GREAT combo of stone and setting! Is this a Loliondo Spessartite? They have those sugar like inclusions and are often very included.

Thank you, Stone Hunter! Yes, Loliondo. I think the inclusions are worth it for the color, and I love the cut too.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Stone Hunter! Yes, Loliondo. I think the inclusions are worth it for the color, and I love the cut too.

PS: @Stone Hunter , what is the beautiful orange stone in your avatar?

Thanks @glitterata the orange stone in my avatar is a Spessertite. I have a Loliondo Spessartite with those sugar inclusions at the jeweler being set as a pendant right now. Love how yours turned out!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @glitterata the orange stone in my avatar is a Spessertite. I have a Loliondo Spessartite with those sugar inclusions at the jeweler being set as a pendant right now. Love how yours turned out!!

Was it hard to find your Loliondo stone for your pendant? Where is your beautiful avatar ring stone from? (That is, where was it mined?)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was it hard to find your Loliondo stone for your pendant? Where is your beautiful avatar ring stone from? (That is, where was it mined?)

The Spessartite in my avatar was cut by Barry Bridgestock of ACStones. I bought it way back in about 2007. I don't remember where it was mined. I will have to search for the paperwork.

The Loliondo stone I got from Mastercutgems many years ago. I usually set colored stones in rings but I really didn't need another Spessartite ring, so it sat in a box. It's very included so to protect it I decided on a pendant. My point is I already owned the stone and didn't go out searching for a stone to put in a pendant. Sorry about being so long winded.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Not long-winded at all! I love detail. Thank you, SH.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a spessartite (spessartine) garnet a decade ago from Jeff White, but then we bought an apartment and I pretty much stopped buying jewelry. Now I've set it at last. The setting is by DanielM on Etsy, his signature u-prong solitaire. I chose rose gold, to match the orange of the stone. (I understand that Dan went through a difficult period a little while ago, but I found him very responsive and great to work with.)

It was hard to get accurate pictures. My phone kept interpreting the orange stone as yellow and the rose gold as yellow or silver. I finally had the idea of putting clementines (mandarine oranges) in the picture, since the camera doesn't seem to have a problem with them and the stone is exactly the same color. It worked pretty well, although the rose gold doesn't always come out the right color. The yellow flower in some of the pictures is to encourage the camera not to interpret the rose gold as yellow.

I love this ring.
IMG_5243.jpg IMG_5245.jpg IMG_5246.jpg IMG_5228.jpg IMG_5229.jpg IMG_5210.jpg IMG_5218.jpg IMG_5222.jpg

I love it! Orange doesn't get nearly enough love over here. I love how you paired that deliciously colored orange spess with rose gold. :kiss2:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous juicy colour :kiss2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's just beautiful!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Now with matching earrings! About a decade ago I bought a pair of Loliondo spessartines from Mastercut Gems, and they've been sitting in a box since then. I thought I might use them for side stones for something, but I never did. I finally decided to get Dan M. to make them into earrings to match my ring. Here are his photos--they're on their way to me now. It looks like they came out great! They're beautiful, clear stones, a little over a carat apiece, 6.5 x 5.4 mm. I'll post my own photos after they arrive, if I can get decent shots. il_1140xN.3105786928_65rd.jpg
il_1140xN.3105791042_jph9.jpg il_1140xN.3153503521_3uqr.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful ring and I would never have thought to put orange with rose gold but it looks lovely! I had to chuckle that it's taken you 10 years to set because I have a load of stones that are probably older than that and I doubt I'll ever set unless I win the lottery! ;)2;)2

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, @LD! I wish I HAD set it ten years ago--back then gold seemed expensive, but it's WAY worse now! I picked rose gold instead of yellow because I wanted to emphasize the red in the orange and de-emphasize the yellow, and I'm pleased with how it came out. Rose gold is at least as orange as it is pink, anyway.

briolette

Shiny_Rock
That looks yummy! Like a piece of orange candy :D

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Loooooooove them!!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
In love with the orange! And I'm loving them all in DanielM's u-prong :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results