shape
carat
color
clarity

I ordered a spessartite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I know I'm behind the PS spessartite curve, but I just ordered this spess--I'm so excited! I showed the listing to DH, whose usual reaction to gems and jewelry is distinctly unenthusiastic, and he said, "That's cool looking. Go for it." So I did.

Here's the vendor picture. When it gets here, I'll need some help with the setting from you lovely ladies & gents.

tzspesscush1a.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember that spess ! I bet it''ll be gorgeous. Can''t wait for photos!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I think a spess will be my next purchase for myself...that is just gorgeous, can''t wait to see the pics when it arrives.

Congratulations

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is just a lovely Blazin'' orange stone!!!!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Very unique looking.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
That''s my kind of thing
1.gif
Beautiful!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Aha! I just found this stone on the vendor photo/ owner photo comparison thread. TourmalineLover bought and returned it because she found it too yellow. She said the vendor photo was quite accurate.

That''s actually a good thing for me, I think--I was worried it would turn out too red/orange for DH, who loves the yellowness.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I remember seeing this stone before, but I couldn''t remember where - drove me nuts yesterday, lol! I''m really looking forward to seeing your pics of it - such a yummy shape! Do you have the dimensions?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the info:

Product Information
Stone: Spessertine Garnet
Weight: 2.53 cts
Clarity: SI
Dimensions: 7.90x 7.88x 5.16mm
Design: Barion Cushion
Origin: Loliondo,Tanzania
Treatment: None
Cut by: John B.
Notes: This is a neon medium fanta orange spessertine garnet. You can see a little bit of tiny inclusions in the stone but it is difficult. It does not detract from the stone at all. These rare garnets are hard to find, and of all the spessertine deposits it has the best color. A fine stone.

I noticed that the picture TL posted (on p. 6 of the comparison thread) is oranger than the one I posted. Same photo, yellower when I saw it. Perhaps the seller adjusted it so the next buyer wouldn''t have the same reaction as TL.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2009 11:36:27 AM
Author: glitterata
Here''s the info:

Product Information
Stone: Spessertine Garnet
Weight: 2.53 cts
Clarity: SI
Dimensions: 7.90x 7.88x 5.16mm
Design: Barion Cushion
Origin: Loliondo,Tanzania
Treatment: None
Cut by: John B.
Notes: This is a neon medium fanta orange spessertine garnet. You can see a little bit of tiny inclusions in the stone but it is difficult. It does not detract from the stone at all. These rare garnets are hard to find, and of all the spessertine deposits it has the best color. A fine stone.

I noticed that the picture TL posted (on p. 6 of the comparison thread) is oranger than the one I posted. Same photo, yellower when I saw it. Perhaps the seller adjusted it so the next buyer wouldn''t have the same reaction as TL.
The photo I took was with some shading over it. This stone gets more orange in the shade, but it is predominantly yellow to my eyes. Some people like the more yellow-orange spessartites, it''s a matter of taste. The Loliondo region produces these more yellowish orange spessartites. Nigerian stones are more reddish orange, like my asscher spessartite. I hope you love your new spessartite Glitterata!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, TL. We''ll see, but I bet I''ll like the yellow. I know it''s not considered the most desirable shade, but as you say it''s a matter of personal taste. And if DH finally approves of a piece of my jewelry, that''s a big deal to me...

Can you do me a favor? Can you compare the photo I posted in this thread to the photos you posted on p. 6 of the comparison thread, especially the vendor photo you posted, and tell me which is most accurate? I understand that it''s a long time ago and you might not remember, of course.

Many thanks.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2009 12:02:28 PM
Thank you, TL. We'll see, but I bet I'll like the yellow. I know it's not considered the most desirable shade, but as you say it's a matter of personal taste. And if DH finally approves of a piece of my jewelry, that's a big deal to me...

Can you do me a favor? Can you compare the photo I posted in this thread to the photos you posted on p. 6 of the comparison thread, especially the vendor photo you posted, and tell me which is most accurate? I understand that it's a long time ago and you might not remember, of course.

Many thanks.
In the shade, it does go quite a bit more orange (in my photo), but I would say John's picture is more accurate for how it looks without shading. It also can go more yellow than John's photo in certain lighting as well. It is a color shifter, that's for sure (yellow to orange). MariedWithTiger also purchased a spessartite from the same bit of rough as that stone. She started a thread on it. It's a round, and she has some photos of it with her hand shading it, and it goes much more orange as well, and without, where it's more yellow. I would recommend high karat yellow gold for this stone. I hope that answers your question and some
2.gif

If you like the more yellowish orange spessartites, then you'll probably like this one. Pure vivid orange is very difficult to come by in spessartite, so most of us have to choose between yellowish orange or reddish orange (did you see Cellentani's latest spessartite?). All the different shades are lovely. You just don't want one that has too much brown.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, TL--I meant for you to compare the two different versions of John''s photo, the one you posted and the one I posted. They''re the same photo, but the one I posted is yellower than the one you posted. I think he must have adjusted it after you returned the stone.

But it''s okay, the stone itself will be here soon enough and I''ll see for myself which version of his photo it looks the most like.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2009 6:23:19 PM
Thanks, TL--I meant for you to compare the two different versions of John''s photo, the one you posted and the one I posted. They''re the same photo, but the one I posted is yellower than the one you posted. I think he must have adjusted it after you returned the stone.

But it''s okay, the stone itself will be here soon enough and I''ll see for myself which version of his photo it looks the most like.
Sorry Glitterata, his stone looks more like the yellower photo above, but it can go yellower in some lighting.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh purty!
36.gif
Funny how I don''t generally like yellow or orange shades...except in gemstones!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, TL. Good, I think I will like that color.

And thanks for the setting advice. I''d been thinking high carat gold too. If only the price of the darn stuff weren''t so high right now!

Hest, I smile whenever I see your avatar cushion. I''ve been admiring it for years.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Pretty spess Gliterrata! I can''t wait to see it when it arrives. I really like yellow-y spessaratites.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Glitterata,

As TL said, I have the sister to your stone, I hope you will love it. The stone to my eyes is the color of oat fields in Autumn, a very pretty ochre. Then in the shade it starts glowing orange. Yum. I will post photos of mine soon, it''s set in a lotus setting.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Is that the spess from gemrite? The color looks yummy & head-turner. I''m excited for your gem! Post pics soon
30.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! It looks very pretty.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's good that you'll be expecting a colour that you like - yellowish orange. I hope you got it on sale? I heard that Gemrite has a sale going on, or am I mistaken?
33.gif
It's going to look awesome in high karat gold.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Well, it arrived this afternoon and it''s ORANGE. I don''t see any yellow. It''s the color of the Arm & Hammer baking soda box.

Granted, it was raining all day here, so I haven''t seen the spess yet in direct sunlight. Maybe the yellow will appear then. But so far, in daylight, incandescence, and fluorescent light, there''s no brown, no yellow--just orange, orange, orange.

Lots of inclusions, which I was expecting. Lots of life. Gorgeous cut.

I''m a little worried DH won''t like it. He gave me the go-ahead based on the yellowy picture.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Orange is my favorite color - I need pics!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Tomorrow, if the sun comes out.

This is my first precisely cut gemstone--I have H&A diamonds, but all my colored stones are antiques or native cuts. I have to say, the cut is amazing!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/30/2009 7:21:25 PM
Tomorrow, if the sun comes out.

This is my first precisely cut gemstone--I have H&A diamonds, but all my colored stones are antiques or native cuts. I have to say, the cut is amazing!
Another precision convert? I am not sure I like this: I love your antique treasures and I want you to keep your buying focus, for purely selfish reasons
3.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so happy that you are happy with your new spessartite. I can’t wait for more pictures.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Okay, here come lots of pictures.

First, the spess on an Arm & Hammer baking soda box in bright, filtered daylight. They're the same color.

As I expected, DH was disappointed that the stone wasn't anything like the yellow picture. However, he still thinks it's pretty.

spessgl10.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Next, the spess on a Fiskars scissors handle in sunlight. Anyone familiar with Fiskars scissors, the favorite choice of artists and designers? The handle is a bright, pure orange. Notice how the camera interprets the sun glaring on the scissors handle as yellow. It would be even yellower if the handle were shiny instead of matte.

spessgl8.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
On the Fiskars again, with the sun hitting the spess directly.

spessgl5.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
On my fingers, with the baking soda box. As you can see (if you're familiar with that brand of baking soda), the camera is interpreting both the stone and the box as yellower than they really are. The photo I posted earlier is much more true to the color of the box (and the stone).

spessgl2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results