shape
carat
color
clarity

I pulled the trigger, but...but...but?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
There are a lot of serial pouncers here LOL!!!

I’ve missed you @moneymeister. So happy to see you back here!

Hi @Calliecake It's really nice to be back (and with sister pouncers). Had a very busy couple of years. After we married we bought a home and it's been a whirlwind. I'm really flattered you remembered me from a couple of years ago. Thank you!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
The ring arrived this morning. A "spready" 1.01 ct L VS2 61/60 with an HCA of 1.6. Posting pictures and a short sparkle video for anyone who is curious on the performance and look.
I like it very much. I have attached a few pictures. It has nice contrasts and has an edge to edge brilliance that is very attractive. It may have less fire than a smaller table diamond, but it does have fire and is very clear and attractive. I cannot even see the color at all. She is so bright that I have a full mirror of light return. I'll keep her and think about a smaller table on her upgrade...maybe.
It's overcast today, but here's an outdoor video:

20190905_110735 (002).jpg
20190905_104113.jpg 20190905_103957 (002).jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG OMG!!! STUNNING!!!! This right here is my all-time favorite solitaire look! Firebomb of a stone set in a Tiffany head with buttery rich yellow gold AND knife-edge shank to boot! (I adore knife-edges) As a fellow L color owner and solitaire lover, I salute all of your choices! :clap:

May I ask where the knife-edge wedding band is from? I have one in plat but need one in YG, too!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
OMG OMG!!! STUNNING!!!! This right here is my all-time favorite solitaire look! Firebomb of a stone set in a Tiffany head with buttery rich yellow gold AND knife-edge shank to boot! (I adore knife-edges) As a fellow L color owner and solitaire lover, I salute all of your choices! :clap:

May I ask where the knife-edge wedding band is from? I have one in plat but need one in YG, too!

Hi Kristy,
Thank you. Like you, I really love a simple solitaire too. The rings and diamond are from Ritani. There is a 30% off coupon right now for the band if you need to pick one up. It is 18k YG.

I can't see color face up, it seems very white, but from the side it is definitely there!
20190905_132541.jpg
20190905_132353.jpg
heh, because I play with my toys

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
The best fire video I could come up with (not quitting my day job)
Anyhow, this is documentation for the next person looking at a 60/60 (or close to it) diamond.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kristy,
Thank you. Like you, I really love a simple solitaire too. The rings and diamond are from Ritani. There is a 30% off coupon right now for the band if you need to pick one up. It is 18k YG.

Thanks for the hot tip! I'm on the Ritani site right now and am wondering if your wedding band is the "classic knife edge" (1.8mm wide) or the "classic thin knife edge" (1.5mm wide)?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the hot tip! I'm on the Ritani site right now and am wondering if your wedding band is the "classic knife edge" (1.8mm wide) or the "classic thin knife edge" (1.5mm wide)?

SKU: 27258HP8Y Women's Classic Knife-Edge Wedding Ring - in 18kt Yellow Gold
The slightly thicker one.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@moneymeister Thank you so much!!! I'm very close to pulling the trigger! 30% off is pretty great :geek2:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hubby and I have been playing with the diamond under the Blacklight. It's strong fluorescent, but also whitish-blue phosphorescent and glows for a couple of minutes after we turn off the lights. Not sure if I can video it.

Reactions: AV_

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
In a dark room, we could capture the strong glow for a few seconds, but it was still glowing even after. I think the camera can't pick up on the low level of light, after a point.

L

lydial

In a dark room, we could capture the strong glow for a few seconds, but it was still glowing even after. I think the camera can't pick up on the low level of light, after a point.

Mineral nerd here: that - is - awesome !

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Mineral nerd here: that - is - awesome !

Oh me too! We're going to try again with our Nikon. It has low light technology...we'll see how that goes.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
oh well... it couldn't catch the low glow either

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring arrived this morning. A "spready" 1.01 ct L VS2 61/60 with an HCA of 1.6. Posting pictures and a short sparkle video for anyone who is curious on the performance and look.
I like it very much. I have attached a few pictures. It has nice contrasts and has an edge to edge brilliance that is very attractive. It may have less fire than a smaller table diamond, but it does have fire and is very clear and attractive. I cannot even see the color at all. She is so bright that I have a full mirror of light return. I'll keep her and think about a smaller table on her upgrade...maybe.

Stunning!:love:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Stunning!:love:

Thank you, Missy. It's a different look, but pretty in its own right. At some point, I will upgrade and get a smaller crown for more fire, but in a low colored diamond, the extra brilliance is a nice thing to have.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks very good in person- lively, faces up whiter than I would think and really looks nice on you. :kiss2:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Comparison of an old cut "fair" symmetry with a 52% crown (1.04 "I" VS2) vs 61%/ 59% deep crown 1.01 L VS2 with HCA 1.6 with strong fluorescence. Outside the L look blue next to the old cut (no fluorescent).

20190907_171520.jpg
20190907_170926.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful, but I just can't do without the fire. Thanks for all of your time and advice. I think it's going back. :( I went to Lowes last night with hubby and watched the almost non-existent fire. The "fire" was basically white flashes. My old cut is a firebomb in lighting like that. This is a brilliant, beautiful diamond. Emotionally though, I am going to look at it and think about my next upgrade when I can have more fire.

I'm probably going to save a few more pennies and get a CBI, even if it's a smaller stone.

You all tried to warn me :) - Thanks for that! :wavey:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry this didn't work out @moneymeister, but good for you for realizing this diamond just isn't the one...there's another stone out there waiting for you. A CBI sounds great!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry this didn't work out @moneymeister, but good for you for realizing this diamond just isn't the one...there's another stone out there waiting for you. A CBI sounds great!

I agree with Junie. I am sorry it didn't work out for you but glad you realized it isn't the stone for you and glad you know exactly what you want. A CBI sounds beautiful and will have fire galore.:love:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@junebug17 @missy
(hugs)
Thanks, ladies, I feel awful. I wasted Ritani's time, my time and yours too, the awesome folks on PS. It will be a bit until I am ready for the CBI project.

Future plans: I am sticking with a buttery gold solitaire and (will be) looking for a lower colored stone. Wink has a beautiful "New York" solitaire on his site.

Ritani was awesome during this process and the workmanship on the ring was top shelf. I wish they had been able to provide more pictures before purchase. I would have saved us all time and heartache.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @moneymeister ! Don't feel bad! It's not uncommon to make a big purchase then realize it's not for you after all. This experience is helping you figure out what's really important to you in terms of diamond characteristics...all part of the journey. :geek2: I've enjoyed following your process thus far (you have such a great eye) and look forward to hearing about your road to your dream stone and ring!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This set is so classy! Love it! I hope you keep the same style with your new stone.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
@junebug17 @missy
(hugs)
Thanks, ladies, I feel awful. I wasted Ritani's time, my time and yours too, the awesome folks on PS. It will be a bit until I am ready for the CBI project.

I’m sorry you’re disappointed but I don’t think it was a waste of time at all but a great learning experience. I’m so glad to hear that you really can see a difference between a 60/60 and an ideal cut! We spend so much time thinking about all these specs and your experience has made me feel it’s justified.:clap:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@msop04 I will definitely keep that style. I am totally in love with the minimalism of the simple solitaire.

@KristyDarling Thank you! It was so, so close. I will definitely stick with the low color, buttery yellow setting with the CBI. I can't imagine how beautiful that will be. Daydreams!

@mwilliamanderson I saw that you are also struggling with a stone. Thank you for your gracious reply. I think you are right, I am learning! If I didn't have this old cut to show me how amazing fire can be, I would have never known. It is almost homely in it's wonky everything, but in low light...it's possessed. People have come over from other tables in restaurants because it "pinged" them in the eye. LOL. I realize I really enjoy this special attribute to a diamond.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oww sorry to hear this. At least it helped to sharpen your thoughts about what you really love

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
If I didn't have this old cut to show me how amazing fire can be, I would have never known. It is almost homely in it's wonky everything, but in low light...it's possessed. People have come over from other tables in restaurants because it "pinged" them in the eye. LOL. I realize I really enjoy this special attribute to a diamond.

Yes, I love your OEC! I’ve recently added it to my growing list of diamond desires :roll:. I would love to purposefully ping people at dinner lol!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results