shape
carat
color
clarity

I Proposed! I''m Engaged!! PICS AND DETAILS.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Yay! I''m (we''re) Engaged!
9.gif
She said yes!! Even better, she had NO idea I was going to propose yesterday and was totally surprised (not an easy thing to do to my new fiance).

Okay, so here''s how it all worked out.....

Took the suggestion of just keeping the ring in my front pocket to get through airport security. Worked like a charm! So thanks.
1.gif
Stashed the ring away in the room within my clothes in the closet in the hotel room. I admit I took a chance not locking it away somewhere, but I was way too nervous to carry it with me constantly checking my pocket to make sure it is still there, etc. Thought it would draw too much attention and cause my gf to notice something. Anyways... That worked out fine.

My biggest concern as I noted on my last thread was the weather. I was worried about it. Well, the weather actually turned out to be okay. Only got hit with rain on Saturday night after the wedding, so really can''t complain.

My girlfriend caught the wedding bouquet at the reception; pretty ironic I thought. I did NOT catch the garter
8.gif
but that''s okay. So after the reception--which was not at the hotel as I thought (it was a block away from there)--we went back to the hotel and my gf wanted to hang out with old college friends, etc for a bit longer. So we went to the room and she changed clothes to meet them all downstairs at the pub inside the hotel. I said I was tired and was going to hang back. I was really concerned about the weather, checked the weather channel and saw that they expected the rain to keep on coming all day the next day. I was nervous and frustrated and scared it was not going to work out right and got dressed, grabbed the ring and was going to propose that night with her friends there. Well, I went downstairs, and low and behold, she wasn''t there. Turns out they (gf and her friends) all decided to hang out in one of the other rooms. So, I did NOT propose at that time. (I truly feel someone or something was looking on me and telling me it was not the right time).

Okay... Now, it is Sunday morning. We get packed and check out of the hotel and head to the Loeb Boathouse for brunch (THE RAIN STOPPED!!!!!). I had the ring in my pocket and I was kind of in my own little world at that point, but my gf did not pick up on anything strange as I faked being "with it".
1.gif
So we walked around Central Park a bit, which was really nice. We went to the boathouse for brunch, which was pretty yummy with a very nice view of the Loeb Lake. We are fast approaching the 2pm reservation for the Gondola ride and amazingly, the sun starts to peek out through the overcast clouds and overall grey. (Again, someone or something HAD to be watching and shining down on us).

So we are at the dock waiting to get on the Gondola and we get settled in, start moving (Andreas, the Gondoleer was wonderful!). There was a small park area where a new bride and groom were taking pictures... I asked my girlfriend what she thought about catching the bouquet last night, and she said it was fine. I asked if she thought it was ironic at all? She looked a bit confused and said, no, why would it be ironic? I said, "Well, because I want to ask you to marry me". I then grabbed the ring out of my pocket and got on one knee in front of her in the Gondola and it REALLY HIT her what was happening. She started to cry and I told her that I have been the happiest I have ever been since we met 17+ months ago and that I want her to make me this happy for the rest of our lives and wanted her to marry me.

I put the ring on her finger (FIT PERFECTLY) and she said yes and it was wonderful! The timing worked out well too, although unplanned. There was a small bridge over us, that we had not yet gone under, but we were approaching... Well, people there saw what was going on and applauded and offered congratulations. People around us in the water in row boats saw what was up and applauded and congratulated as well. Andreas, the Gondoleer, grabbed our camera and took some wonderful pictures of us as well and was outstanding. He knew I was going to propose and was perfect. Was quiet when he needed to be, sang great songs when it was appropriate and was very, very nice.

Then, after the 30 minutes were up, we get back to the boathouse and as we are getting to the dock, he yells to the patrons sitting there that "SHE SAID YES!" and we get more applause and congrats. It really was very, very nice.

My girlfriend was SO surpised! She really had no idea. I''ve been feeding her mis-information the last 6 weeks trying to throw off her VERY logic based mind. I knew if she had too much of the right info, she would figure something out. So I''ve been feeding her tidbits of mis-information all along with no pattern or reason with little or no details. I even commented on Saturday when we were near the diamond district in Manhattan that "Oh, we should have stopped there and checked out some more ring styles". hehe She didn''t even think I bought the ring.

Now that it''s all said and done, she did ask if she should be concerned that I lie so well though.
3.gif

So that''s the story of my engagement. So my gf is no longer my gf. She is now my fiance! Wow, that sounds kind of weird. GOOD weird, but weird.

Thanks again to all for the support, suggestions and encouragement. I will post pics likely tonight as we took about a dozen photos before I took her back to the airport this AM. Pics came out well except the brilliance and shine of the ring and stones doesn''t show throuh very well. Had to sacrfice that to get clear pics. Anyways... Will post those tonight. Thanks again to all!
love.gif

appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif

Confoozed

Rough_Rock
Oh my goodness, that was a beautiful engagement story! I'm so happy the weather cooperated for you, it just made the moment perfect! Congratulations!!!!!!
appl.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
The Sun was indeed shining down on you!

Congrats & Best Wishes to your financee!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Doncha just LOVE it when things work out the way you hope they do?

Glad to hear the weather cooperated and all your planning set the stage for a beautiful proposal.

Congratulations!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Oh..........

and WHERE'S THE PICS??????? This said PICS and details.....heheheee
9.gif

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
The pics will be posted tonight. Promise!!
3.gif
3.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Wonderful story! Congratulations to you and your fiancee. I can't wait to see the pictures!

Vynyaca

Rough_Rock
That was a wonderful story! Best of luck to you both.
Can't wait to see the pictures.

(Will you be changing your username now?
wink2.gif
)

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
Aaaawweeee, I got all teary eyed reading this!!
cry.gif

CONGRATULATIONS!! WAY TO GO!!!!
appl.gif

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!! What a great engagement story!
----------------
Took the suggestion of just keeping the ring in my front pocket to get through airport security. Worked like a charm!
----------------
Glad to hear, that's exactly what I'm planning on doing.
1.gif

----------------
My girlfriend was SO surpised! She really had no idea. I've been feeding her mis-information the last 6 weeks trying to throw off her VERY logic based mind. I knew if she had too much of the right info, she would figure something out. So I've been feeding her tidbits of mis-information all along with no pattern or reason with little or no details. I even commented on Saturday when we were near the diamond district in Manhattan that "Oh, we should have stopped there and checked out some more ring styles". hehe She didn't even think I bought the ring.
----------------
I particularly liked the last statement. I've been doing the same thing with my girlfriend of late. She knows it coming, but I keep dropping hints that we should keep checking out ring styles, etc. even though the ring is pretty much a done deal... Funny thing is that she recently mentioned that she wants full disclosure after we're engaged. It's going to be fun mentioning all the tidbits of mis-information that I've dropped along the way!
2.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Tears. Yes, tears. What a sweet story. I can sooo feel the excitement in your voice. Wonderful!
appl.gif

Congratulations and best wishes. Now you need to change your PS handle to simply *ENGAGED.*
1.gif

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
I too, loved your story
Brought a tear to my eye
You sound like a sweet romantic guy!

Little did she know
When she cought that bouquet
It would turn be HER lucky day!!!!

all the best!
wavey.gif
wavey.gif

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! I was actually thinking about you yesterday when I noticed the weather clearing up here in the afternoon. I'm glad you got to propose the way really wanted to. Surprises are THE BEST aren't they??

Best of luck to both of you!!

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Okay... Changed my screen name to "NewlyEngaged" from "SoonToBeEngaged".

Confessed to my girlfriend, oops, FIANCE, about all the mis-information I was providing her the last few weeks.
1.gif
Also told her about this site and even let her see my insanity with my last thread.
wacko.gif
Figure it's only fair she knows exactly who she is commiting the rest of her life to.... (She's commiting herself to someone who should be committed).
naughty.gif

Now my mother is already starting to plan the engagement party!! So I guess new stresses begin now.
eek.gif

Anyways... Pics coming tonight. Actually will likely be posting pics on a Yahoo Photo's page, so will attach a couple here and include the link as well.
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/11/2003 4:10:44 PM NewlyEngaged wrote:
Now my mother is already starting to plan the engagement party!! So I guess new stresses begin now.
eek.gif

----------------

Don't worry about the stress. Just repeat after me "What do *you* think?" Think of a few things that may or may not be important to you. Express those up front & let your bride to be plan the wedding.

Hubby had a list. Wedding rings. Show up on time. "What do *you* think?"

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
For the most part, I'm letting my mom run with it for the engagement party... I'm a traditionalist, but do indeed want to and will give input, but I am pretty reasonable.

My mother has been planning this engagement party for 31 years (Jewish mothers start booking rooms upon birth).
tongue.gif
So I am just going to go with the flow. She hasn't planned any events like this in 13+ years as my brother and sister got married young and I waited a while. So, she os excited to have another party to plan.

My fiance (I keep writing girlfriend and having to hit backspace to write fiance... Not used to this yet) moves back here to Chicago in less than 2 weeks... So all will be easy to deal with when we are together daily versus once every 4 to 6 weeks for 2 or 3 days at a time.

So it's all good.
10.gif

SwanSong

Rough_Rock
great story...

I loved how you asked her if it was Ironic...she had no idea...lol.

Good show and thanks for sharing your story. Best!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/11/2003 5:10:48 PM NewlyEngaged wrote:

For the most part, I'm letting my mom run with it for the engagement party... I'm a traditionalist, but do indeed want to and will give input, but I am pretty reasonable.

My mother has been planning this engagement party for 31 years (Jewish mothers start booking rooms upon birth).
tongue.gif
So I am just going to go with the flow. She hasn't planned any events like this in 13+ years as my brother and sister got married young and I waited a while. So, she os excited to have another party to plan.

So it's all good.
10.gif

----------------

I mean't when someone asks you your opinion - you're mantra w/ wide eyes & scared expression - "What do *you* think?".

You tickle me. Yep, she's been planning the engagement party. My mom planned the *wedding*. After a time, I learned to ask "What do *you* think?" Seriously, it also opens dialogue for thing you just *can not* tolerate.

BTW, even hubby (of 20 years)thought your proposal worthy of an "Awhhhhhhh"!

I'm so glad the weather cooperated.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't know where you proposed. Is this the place?

http://www.centralparknyc.org/virtualpark/thegreatlawn/loebboathouse/

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Okay... I tried to upload a couple of pics on here directly, but it isn't working.
sad.gif
Are the files too large?

Anyways... I have a bunch of pictures posted on Yahoo. Copy the link below, you can hit CTRL and N together to open a new browser. Then paste the link into the address bar of the window and launch the pics.

The ring pics came out clear, or at least focused, but they are not representative of the brilliance and shine of the ring or the stones.

You can click on the "Slideshow" link and it will load the pics in order and show the comments along with each picture.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gregoryskaufman/lst?.view=t&.dir=/Proposal+-+NY+2003

3.gif
9.gif
10.gif
16.gif
lickout.gif
twirl.gif
love.gif
wavey.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Newly, congratulations! I'm glad you changed your name!
2.gif

Oh don't *even* ask me about posting pics here...it has been hit & miss for me, you can ask Leonid about how challenged I am in that dept.

What a great slide show! You are a cutie, your girl is a beauty, and the ring, well the ring is very unique and pretty. Andreas, he got to join in on the fun, huh? Lucky guy.

You shared a great story, thanks for letting us in. Congratulations again and best wishes.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay congratulations!! The story sounds sublime of course!
1.gif
still have to check out the pix...but I am sure they are amazing.

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 8/11/2003 8:16:24 PM AGBF wrote:
I didn't know where you proposed. Is this the place?
http://www.centralparknyc.org/virtualpark/thegreatlawn/loebboathouse/
----------------

Yes!
appl.gif
That's the place.
twirl.gif

Highly recommend (but I am and forever will be, a bit partial now).
love.gif

The restaurant isn't cheap... $80 for brunch for two (with tip), so you know. But it was quite good.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations NewlyEngaged. You two are adorable. The pictures are great, and the ring . . . WOW. What a unique and beautiful setting. Reading your story and seeing your pics brought a tear to my eye and memories of my own engagement (nearly 18 years ago). Good luck in the planning of your wedding and your future together.
16.gif

Diamondlil

Confoozed

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous pics! Thanks for sharing! The ring is stunning!
love.gif
Congrats again!!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
That is one of the most unique and beautiful ring designs I've seen. And the stones......breathtaking.

Nicely done. Mazeltov!

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the kind words. Finally settling now that it's a couple days old.
1.gif

I have attached a few pics here (tried again with reduced size pics) for those who maybe don't want to or haven't or can't load the Yahoo pics page.

Glad all liked the ring pics (and pics in general) too.
1.gif
I (as you know) agonized over the process and I am very happy with the end result. The ring is not 100% custom as it essentially was already designed. It is custom in that I had them make a brand new one in Platinum and Yellow gold, versus the original version which was yellow with the little bit of white gold.

Overall... Very happy.
1.gif

DSCN0087.jpg

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Here's another...

DSCN0085.jpg

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
And another....

DSCN0091.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results