clarity

I never thought I'd say, Kudos to Walmart

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But ya know, certain Murkans (likely multiple gun owners) don't want their freedom trod upon.

I wouldn't be surprised if, before long, we see some Walmart greeters shot.
Bulletproof vests maybe?
Battle helmets and shields.

Presenting tomorrow's Walmart greeters:
"Welcome to Walmart. Have a nice day."

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 2.45.32 PM.png

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Drugstores in my region all enforce the mask ploicy as do grocery stores. I bet that in this geographical area Walmart will have little trouble enforcing it, at least once people get used to it being like a drugstore or a grocery store. In the beginning it may take some adjustment.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was pleased to see this. But--execution of this policy in some regions will be problematic.
I expect to see ugly YouTubes shortly.

I am sure you are correct, about "some" regions.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure you are correct, about "some" regions.

Maybe WM will institute a 2-tier policy, for pre and post-Darwin, aka red and blue, regions of Muruhkah.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for Walmart if they actually enforce it. And yes, good luck to the greeters. They'll probably need it.

Yeah.
Luck, riot gear, free life insurance, PTSD psychological counseling, and a massive pay increase.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a reason why people are more likely to go nuts at Walmart than say Costco?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People in my hometown are gonna lose their f-ing minds.

Yup. I see my local Walmart as the site of imminent violence over masks. It’s gonna be ugly. :-o

Really?!? :doh:

I realize these regions are shrinking, but perhaps ya'allz need to move somewhere were more people have stronger critical thinking.

Other things being equal, you'd be less likely to get C19.

Last edited:

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Is there a reason why people are more likely to go nuts at Walmart than say Costco?

Well-there are something like 4800 Walmarts vs 500 Costco stores in USA.
I won't even go into the general demographics of Walmart vs. Costco customers.

There are more Walmarts and they are more entrenched in more rural areas. Costo is more focused in higher population upper middle class areas.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I would like to reiterate that I am US based. And in the US I don't think anyone would disagree with a general statement that Walmart shoppers would be more likely than Costco shoppers to rebel against a mask mandate.
It will be a problem.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IQ & edjumacation.
All retailers do not enjoy the same average demographics.

Google is your friend.

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh thanks guys

I was not aware they were different demographics. I thought they sold different things (groceries vs homewares) but not necessarily to different people.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Walmart used to be my favorite store back in the days when I used to leave my home. Where else could I get a cotton long sleeved crewnecked Tee in oatmeal XS for $2.99? I have some expensive clothes, but nothing gave me pleasure like Walmart. :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh thanks guys

I was not aware they were different demographics. I thought they sold different things (groceries vs homewares) but not necessarily to different people.

Both sell both, but to very different demographics.

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
I LOLed at this title

voce

Ideal_Rock

Let's just say, lots of well-to-do people would rather shop at Target and Costco. I myself never liked the long lines at Walmart, and Target donates a set percentage of products to charities, so it's a win-win.

Target in the US is a completely different business from the Australian Target, I've learned from my brother.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Grrr, I hate auto correct. I meant profit, not products.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Ahh thanks guys

There is a stereotype shared among some in the US that WM is for poor, stupid, trashy, conservative folks and places like Target and Costco are for more acceptable folks. Those are the demographics being eluded to here....in case it was’t clear from Kenny’s posts.

In some places WM is the only or easiest place to shop. There are often public transportation stops near Walmarts making it easy for the poor, elderly and disabled people to shop. Or maybe someone can’t afford the $60 Costco membership or to buy large bulk quantities because they are on public assistance or living paycheck to paycheck. Some Walmart stores allow long haul truck drivers to park overnight and use their facilities. In many areas Walmart is the only 24hr grocery store so workers who get off at 2am or start a 5am shift can go in and shop...many blue collar but also nurses, Dr.s, first responders.
There is no Target or Costco in my town....sometimes we see the elitists mixing in with the deplorable at the Super Walmart. It truly is a horrible situation.

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread has been eye opening. I never realized the difference in demographics was so huge in your country.

How rough are the stereotypical people at Walmart exactly? Say if you dropped me in the middle of a run of the mill Walmart would I be shocked?

We have cheap stores here like Big W which I'm imagining is your Walmart equivalent (although no fresh produce or meat and only limited package grocery type items like chips or lollies) but I'm pretty sure a wide variety of Australians shop at Big W (especially during the toy sale, they are famous for their toy sale).

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok seriously off topic but in your country are your gardeners, cleaners very poor?

Because where I live the gardeners are very well off and you need to be super nice to them or else they'll dump you and not take on your lawn. My gardener owned a string of investment properties (we used to chat about schools and properties).

One of my childhood family friends was a cleaner and went home to her giant mansion every night.

Now I'm wondering if this is the case in the US.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
@mellowyellowgirl It may not have been clear that my last comment in my post was tongue in cheek. Plenty of everyday Americans shop in Walmart. But there are some who make a sport of mocking, denigrating and name calling Walmart shoppers, as seen in this thread. There’s an entire genre of memes and websites dedicated to this sport.
Everywhere I’ve been it would be accurate to say that you’d see a cross section of the community in a typical Walmart. In an area with more options the affluent are underrepresented, buying clothes, shoes and housewares etc elsewhere. But in all my years, all the places I’ve lived (and many more visited), I’ve only met a handful of people who never go into a Walmart. You’d see Mercedes and old Ford trucks and horse & buggy in our Walmart parking lot! In an urban area there may be a security guard....but that would be at many stores in those areas not just Walmart. In a rural area there are people who come to town less frequently so Walmart is a good all in one shopping place for them. They might be farmers, ranchers etc. They can get groceries, linens, school supplies for their kids all in the same store. I have an aunt who doesn’t drive...she takes the city bus to the Walmart In her town and she’s about as average a person as you’d meet in the US. Many Walmarts used to make a point to hire elderly or disabled (mentally or physically) as store ‘greeters’ as you come in the door but sadly that has phased out in a lot of areas. But it is also true that the poor have to shop somewhere and Walmart is one store that is affordable for most.

The US is too large and diverse to generalize income for gardeners or house cleaners and such. Where I am now those workers earn a decent income. Not living in a mansion but average or above average in our community. That is not the case everywhere though and there are multiple factors that play into those differences.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for clarifying @1ofakind!!!!

I'm a frequent Big W shopper and this got me thinking "Ooh is there like a class of people in Australia who avoid Big W that I don't know about?"

Haha it's super handy. You can pick up a book for your kid, an airfryer and socks in one stop. Costco has too much food for me to focus on anything else!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
This thread has been eye opening. I never realized the difference in demographics was so huge in your country.

How rough are the stereotypical people at Walmart exactly? Say if you dropped me in the middle of a run of the mill Walmart would I be shocked?

We have cheap stores here like Big W which I'm imagining is your Walmart equivalent (although no fresh produce or meat and only limited package grocery type items like chips or lollies) but I'm pretty sure a wide variety of Australians shop at Big W (especially during the toy sale, they are famous for their toy sale).

In my Virginia town (population about 50,000) you would find a mix of the entire spectrum of socio-economic populations from the city. It would probably be a non-event if you would visit.

However, if we visited a more rural area near the Virginia/West Virginia border, it might be a more surprising visit. People are from farm country and dress like it. It's to be expected of course. You'll see about 60% of the people wearing masks (I had to drop in for something the other day) and many people are dressed in torn, worn clothing. The men are usually tan from working outside. Our area supplies most of the chicken and turkeys for the nation. You'd see many pick up trucks with "farm-use" on the license plate.

Years ago I worked at a local bank. We had a few farmers who came in for assistance and I would look at their accounts. Some of those "deplorable" rough old farmers would come into the bank in faded clothing and overalls and had hundreds of thousands strewn about in several banks. Not college educated but smart as whips. Some cannot read and write - they were in the field helping their family by 8th grade.

Intelligence does not always equate with education.

336703_2691974858251_532733699_o.jpg

There was never a time that I broke down that a farmer didn't stop to change my tire.
This was the view from my front porch years ago.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My best friend, who dresses like a bum, but comes from a family chock full of millionaires shops at Walmart and now has her hair done at a Walmart since she moved to Maine. Hers has a beauty parlor! My husband discovered Walmart in Virginia. (He has groeries at his.) I don't have one in my town. (My town is too ritzy. No Costco, either.) But when I am a few towns away, maybe 12 or 15 miles, I love to go to the Walmart. Normal people go there. Normal humans. It is my best friend's favorite store as it is mine. I only wish we had a grocery store. We have very few grocery items. But I have found some great items like salt and vinegar Planters peanuts that I can't find anywhere else (except on-line) even at that non-grocery Walmart. When my family drove to Michigan for a family wedding we stopped at a Walmart in Ohio. Each one of us had a college education and most had graduate degrees. What can I say? Some of us love Walmart. I bought a couple of pieces of clothing and brought them all the way to the wedding in Michigan and then back to Connecticut. :))

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results