shape
carat
color
clarity

I need some serious help on a 1.56 round- thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MARIAV75

Rough_Rock
I am going out of my mind.
I was in NYC the other day... I came across this diamond.
OK - these are the specs so far.
I will have my b-friend get better specs today.
$5500.00
1.56 carats
F color
no flouresence
cut - very good
I dont know the dimensions, but from what I can remember, and from what I was reading.. they were very good..
NOW- the clarity

I never thought I would consider this - but its an SI3.
There is one light line.. at the edge of the diamond at the top.. not on the side..
NOW- i was thinking of using a 4 prong setting- a double prong setting... to cover it...
besides this one small, light white line.. the diamond is completely clear..
i looked at it under a loupe.. and nothing..
and it sparkles so beautifully..
I dont know what to do...
any ADVICE??? Thank you!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
What exactly are you asking? Sounds like you like the stone, and you plan to set the inclusion under a prong. So what do you want to know?
2.gif

The price is very low for an F color 1.5c+ stone, even if it is SI3. It must be an EGL certified stone, because only they recognize the SI3 rating, for GIA and/or other labs this stone most likely may have been graded an I1. But if you don't see any other inclusions, great.

Was the stone treated at all, with laser/irradiation/fracture filling etc? The fact that the price is so low mingled with the SI3 grading makes me ask this.

If it is an EGL cert, call up and get the crown and pavilion %'s from the certification, the store should be able to read this to you.

Does it have strong fluor or any other characteristics that may contribute to the low pricing?

Once you get the %'s...people will be able to tell you more if you are interested. But if you really like the stone, it looks good to your eyes and it fits your budget, it sounds like a great price for a 1.5c+ stone.

1.gif
Get all the details before purchase though!! best to be informed.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Maria! Welcome to PriceScope.

You don't really have a lot to go on with this diamond. Does this stone have a lab report (e.g. GIA, EGL, IGI)? If so, whose? If it has been graded by the seller and if the clarity grade is off (and it is really an I1), then the value plummets. Suddenly the $5500 price goes from a pretty good deal to a not-so-good deal. If the seller generously grades the color one or grades higher, then there's another 5% or 10% price difference.

The same can be said for the cut. If it's really nicely cut, then the price is looking good. If you can get your hands on the proportions, the pros here can comment on the make.

Don't feel pressured into buying this one. Do a search on pricescope and you'll see the great many stones available in the 1.5 ct range, almost any of which you can have mailed to your door!

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, what Mara said! I guess I need to type faster!
1.gif

R/A

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hee Hee
9.gif

MARIAV75

Rough_Rock
you guys are so nice!
Im waiting on the specs.. well, they set the stone in some Stuller 4 prong setting.. my worry is - since the inclusion is noticible w/ the naked eye.. and its under the prong.. i hope it doesnt crack!!!!!
sick.gif

Im so nervous about that!!!! Well, Im going to look at it sat- we'll See!!!!

MARIAV75

Rough_Rock
OK-

I JUST CALL THE JEWELER.

1.56 carats
F color
has not been treated
I1 - GIA cert
No Flouresence
60% Depth
56% table
I inclusion on far end of stone - other than this, no other naked eye inclusions or 10X loupe inclusions - the stone has not been treated.
I just spoke to the jeweler and she said EGL would prob certify it was SI2, but its better off graded by GIA.
So, with that, what does everyone think?
1.gif

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
MARIAV75:

Is there any way that you can either see the stone first or atleast get a photo of the diamond e-mailed to you?

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

MARIAV75

Rough_Rock
hello!

I saw the diamond... its like ice... except the one inclusion..
my man and I are going sat morning to see it set in this Stuller 4 prong platinum setting... but each prong is a double prong.. so, it should hide it sufficiently...IM tellin' you... the color and cut are wonderful.. its just this one thing...
we'll see..i cant wait to see what it looks like!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I 1, if properly graded, it's not that bad as someone think. If the stone is as sparkly and beautiful as you're saying, then simply buy it! You're saving a TON of money (big difference between SI 2 and I 1!). I think noone will look at it so closely and see the inclusion... If the cut is as beautiful as it seems... It may be a great value!

BTW, F color is great, isn't it?
1.gif

MARIAV75

Rough_Rock
Hey Giangi.. yep.. the F color is what got me...this stone, minus this 1 inclusion, is one of the nicest stones Ive seen thus far. Honestly, the cut and color is great.. and its thousands of dollars less... the setting I picked out is from Stuller... heres the link... its so nice..

http://www.preciousplatinum.com/bride_women_rings.asp?Type_ID=1&LowerBound=60

The setting is the bottom middle 4 prong setting, but its double prong and the inclusion is so far over, the prong is big enough to hide it..
Nice, huh?

I cannot believe how eye clean it is for an I1- oh well, I cant wait... my man and I are going to see it tommorrow..
i called the jeweler- she said it looks beautiful..

I just looked at some SI2 stones, and you know what? My stone blows them away, seriously!
Once I get it, ill scan the pic for everyone...

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Sounds you're in love with this stone!!!!!! Well, if you think it's so beautiful (and I'm pretty sure it is
1.gif
), it may be calling just you... Consider the pros and the cons... The stone is I 1, so it has a fair amount of inclusions(or a big one), but it's very white at F color, has a great cut and a GREAT price that will not break the bank and will allow you to spend more on a setting (or something else you like
2.gif
)... I think you're making a smart choice.

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
Wow, congrats on getting such a big stone. I like your setting choice and the matching wedding band. Do you plan on getting that band, or a different one?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
PreciousPlatinum is one of my favorite eye-candy sites. I love the double prong Stuller...someone on here recently purchased a stone from GOG and used that same setting, the pictures were amazing.

MARIAV75

Rough_Rock
hey everyone!!

Well, we went into NYC to see the stone in the setting.. it looks beautiful.
I looked at the GIA cert again.. it only has this one inclusion.. the double prong hides its completely.. i took it outside to examine it in the sunlight.. wonderful..
Im so happy!!
Well, I decided to take it..
I loke the F color..
love.gif

I am going to purchase a 5 stone band from the same jeweler.. I decided to have it indented where the stone is set so the rings are flush.. I dont want much movement..
I was also thinking of princess cut, channel set stones in teh wedding band.. im not sure yet..
I cant wait to get it..
I dont know when my boyfriend is going to propose!!!
He wanted to make sure I got what I liked..
I really like the Stuller setting..
its different - yet simple and classic!!!
I feel very confident with my purchase!!
Thanks for all the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results