shape
carat
color
clarity

I need some opinions on setting ideas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rgh333

Rough_Rock
SO, I am going to be purchasing a 2+ carat oval diamond, as that is the shape my gf loves. Little did I know that picking out a fancy stone was the easy part, and they are not so easy to shop for (bowties, proportions, l/w ratios)! I am torn between a couple of ideas for the ring setting.

1. Halo ring with 2 pointers around the prong set center stone plus smaller ones on the side of the basket, with 4 or 5 shared-prong, 16-20 pointer rounds on each side of the halo''d center stone.

2. Half moon side stones....not sure if prong-shared rounds would look weird on the ring following the half moons? I really like the idea of it but worry it could look ''off''???

She loves the prong-shared look and she loves half moons, but she also loves the halo look. The one thing she is sure about not wanting, a combination of the above, where the center stone is halo''d and the side stones are halo''d, too...ahhhhhhh this is a tough choice to make!

Thanks in advance for all the input!! It''s much needed
1.gif

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
Hi there. You''re right...choosing the right setting is hard.

Personally, I think a 2 carat oval w/ half moon side stones (about .50 or .60 carat weight is a good proportion) in a simple delicate setting is gorgeous, timeless and classic. The best one I''ve seen maybe ever (including on PS) is Kayleigh''s ring. You can see it at this link if you scroll down to the 8th post or so: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/lets-see-everyones-oval-stones.79619/

If you''re going to have a custom halo ring made, aside from the obvious Leon Mege options, you may want to take a look at the Mark T collection on the Engagement Rings Direct site at http://engagementringsdirect.com/markcollection/index.html. For example, I think the Liane ring would look lovely with an Oval. I love the micropave, but if she loves shared prong you could ask Mark to use one of his designs as the starting point and modify the diamonds in the setting so they are shared prong (though you might want to consider something more delicate like fishtail pave or micropave).

I 100% agree with her that a halo center with halo sidestones is a no go. If you''re going to go with a halo.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely half moons, such a great look.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2008 8:11:27 PM
Author: Kaleigh
You are being way too modest my dear.
9.gif

Miss Kaleigh''s Leon Mege oval ring. One of THE prettiest rings, ever.

Kaleigh202Dv1.JPG

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Of all the ovals I have seen, Kaleigh''s is my favorite.
36.gif
30.gif
Next to that, I love the bezel set halo''d oval on Maytal Hannah''s website, I think it''s beautiful.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha--I was going to post Kaleigh''s ring, too. It made me fall in love with ovals, that''s for sure. It''s absolutely gorgeous, and I think the half moons are timeless, while a halo (while beautiful) will likely look dated in a few years.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2008 8:39:40 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 5/6/2008 8:11:27 PM
You are being way too modest my dear.
9.gif

Miss Kaleigh''s Leon Mege oval ring. One of THE prettiest rings, ever.

Kaleigh202Dv1.JPG
I LOVE this one too, but here are a few more ideas https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-oval-ring.17497/
and Coati''s beautiful oval w/kite sidestones http://www.pricescope.com/forum/op-requested/new-ring-t74020.html

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Kaleigh''s ring, but my other favorite would be the oval with pear sides. Leon could do a beautiful job on that, too! I really like a beautiful large stone to be the star, personally, rather than a diamond shank and halo.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

rgh333

Rough_Rock
Wow those are some of the most beautiful rings I''ve ever seen. The side stone look with the oval is looking more attractive to me, even though a halo is nice, too. So, an oval center stone with half moon side stones...what about the round stones on the band following the side stones? I know this might sound overdone, but my gf likes more the more ornate looks.

Thanks so much! You are all great with this and so helpful, too. :)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2008 10:59:48 PM
Author: rgh333
Wow those are some of the most beautiful rings I''ve ever seen. The side stone look with the oval is looking more attractive to me, even though a halo is nice, too. So, an oval center stone with half moon side stones...what about the round stones on the band following the side stones? I know this might sound overdone, but my gf likes more the more ornate looks.

Bead set rounds going down the shank would achieve the look your GF is after. Nothing wrong with adding more bling, it''s not going to take away from the center stone, or sides, just adds an accent to the whole look.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/6/2008 11:21:27 PM

Date: 5/6/2008 10:59:48 PM
Author: rgh333

Bead set rounds going down the shank would achieve the look your GF is after. Nothing wrong with adding more bling, it''s not going to take away from the center stone, or sides, just adds an accent to the whole look.
I love how the sidestones are done in Surfgirl''s ring. It''s an amazing combo of half-moons, baguettes and rounds. https://www.pricescope.com/forum/op-requested/at-last-my-antique-ering-t61580.html

rgh333

Rough_Rock
Kayleigh,

You have the most beautiful ring I have ever seen. I sent a link to this discussion to a couple of friends of mine, so they could see that pic. They all said it was incredible AND unique, which is exactly what I''m looking for. Also, thanks for your input on the bead set rounds on the shank following the half-moons, I am for sure going to incorporate that look for her now.
What a nice group of people on here! It makes the design decisions so much easier when I get such helpful feedback.

As this work in a LONG process, I will have pics when that day comes!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you are going to have a stunning ring to give her.
36.gif
Can''t wait to see pics!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s going to be amazing. I wanted to add a suggestion. You mentioned that you lady likes ornate... some ornate work on the basket might suit her in that case. While I personally have plainer tastes... some scroll work or cage work, or even pave on the baskets holding the three stones is a nice way to get ''ornate'' without making the top view of the ring look busy. I don''t know who you are going to get to do the work but Maytal would do a lovely job on scroll, cage, or pave work in the basket, and leon does amazing things with bubbles and pave with baskets.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
gosh, i''m late to the thread but did want to throw out a pave halo option, although I simply adore kaleigh''s ring
30.gif

pave halo ring

durnellpavehalo1.png

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results