carat
color
clarity

I need some help. Is this a good deal?

built240

Rough_Rock
So its about that time. The little lady has her eye set on this
https://www.beverlydiamonds.com/index.php?file=product_detail&products_id=24945

I spoke with the sales guy to find out the 'details' they dont always include. Here are my concerns

First he says anything big like over 1.5carats is always going to have some visible inclusions. So a 2carat diamond thats a vs2 could possibly still have some visual inclusions to the human eye but very slight. So i dont want this ring to arrive with a big cloud in the middle or something. How noticeable are these "inclusions" they speak of

2nd thing that worries me is the ring is clairity enhanced. The guy said it could have originally been an SI and they fixed it to make it a VS2

and last thing that worries me is they are GRA cert instead of GIA.

So basically im not looking to resell this, she really likes the ring> I mainly just want to know if this is a "good buy" It appraises at $33k on sale for $18 and then take 35% off that so its roughly $9k.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
the website doesn't work for me but I would read up on clarity enhanced diamonds before you buy.

built240

Rough_Rock
sorry the link should work now.

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
It is not a good buy. Never buy a clarity enhanced diamond.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47 said:
the website doesn't work for me but I would read up on clarity enhanced diamonds before you buy.

Yes this. Personally I would steer clear, but it's a personal preference.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Even if your only goal is size, and nothing else--it's still overpriced for a clarity enhanced diamond. It shouldn't cost more than half that. That setting isn't high quality and the stone is clarity enhanced.

built240

Rough_Rock
Wow im glad I asked. My g/f doesnt care if its clairity enhanced she just loves the style and setting and likes the big center piece. I just didnt want to get ripped off. So you guys are saying that ring isnt even worth close to $9k and I can find something similar with better qualit. Any links to something similar. She prefers a 2carat princess cut center piece with that exact type of layed gotti type setting. I have no idea where to even look now.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
what is your budget?

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
built240,

Just search for "clarity enhanced" here and you'll find some good threads that explain why you probably don't want CE diamonds. Your gf may not think she cares that a diamond is CE, but she may not like it in the future if/when the thing starts looking awful.

Trust the good folks here to help you find something beautiful within your budget. Big budget, more modest budget, doesn't matter. There are some really talented "finders" here.

liz

ChrisES

Shiny_Rock
Also, I believe that GIA will not issue reports for CE diamonds.

So that explains why it has a different cert.

built240

Rough_Rock
budget is around $10-$12k. I'd like a 2carat princess cut center stone with a white gold band with diamonds all around the band. As near identical looking as the one in the picture. Im going to do a search on clairity enhanced diamonds now. The guy at the place basically said that a CE is just usually one grade down that was enhanced to be one grade up but the end factor is that it is the final grade, appraises at the final grade and will always look the same,etc....

Sparkle524

Shiny_Rock
I thought I read somewhere that GIA will not certify clarity enhanced filled diamonds but they will certify clarity enhanced lasered diamonds. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also that setting is pretty but looking at the side view it's set pretty high up. I would imagine that would get caught on a lot of things.

built240

Rough_Rock
Im glad I joined this forum. I keep getting so many different answers. Now im hearing that CE diamonds can be a good buy if they are done correctly. What worries me is I read somewhere that they can revert back to the natural form. How would that even be possible.

So what ive gathered is the ring I listed is a Vs2. It may have originally been an SI and was enhanced to be a Vs2. But how could it ever go back to an SI or its natural form if it was already enhanced? Does the enhancement process fade over time? I'd hate to have the thing look like junk after 8 or 9years. Diamonds are supposed to look the same forever I thought if properly maintained.

ChrisES

Shiny_Rock
built240|1330723572|3139453 said:
Im glad I joined this forum. I keep getting so many different answers. Now im hearing that CE diamonds can be a good buy if they are done correctly. What worries me is I read somewhere that they can revert back to the natural form. How would that even be possible.

So what ive gathered is the ring I listed is a Vs2. It may have originally been an SI and was enhanced to be a Vs2. But how could it ever go back to an SI or its natural form if it was already enhanced? Does the enhancement process fade over time? I'd hate to have the thing look like junk after 8 or 9years. Diamonds are supposed to look the same forever I thought if properly maintained.

I think it's a question of what sort of enhancement was done. If a fissure was filled, the filling can come out again (especially if subjected to excess heat). Not so sure about this one, but maybe if an inclusion is laser drilled out but the channel isn't properly filled, new oils and impurities could work their way in and degrade light performance.

Basically, regarding "Diamonds are supposed to look the same forever I thought if properly maintained," the whole issue is that clarity enhancement changes the diamond, in many cases by introducing non-diamond substances to it. (Also "forever" is an awfully long time, even for a diamond, but I digress.)

built240

Rough_Rock
I wonder if im better off purchasing a used 2 carat princess cut center stone. Dont diamond sell for like 1/3rd less if used and can still be in great condition. Maybe I can find a 2 carat princess cut center piece with a vs2 or higher quality thats not CE and then just have it custom done in a new setting. Any good links for used high quality 2 carat diamonds? Thanks

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So in other words, she wants a 3 carat super blingy ring? Your budget is about 12K right?

First off, you want a halo setting, it seems. So you want to narrow down your center diamond, and then find a halo setting with diamonds on the band. http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?forceStep=STYLE_STEP&track=tab

FWIW, I wouldn't buy that ring you posted. No way would I touch a clarity enhanced diamond.

built240

Rough_Rock
So i talked to a real jeweler today who's a family friend and he said thats a terrible deal and to never buy a CE diamond. he said for $10k he can more than likely find me the exact same thing thats not CE and is GIA certified. He also said there is probably no way thats a color F. He said a real GIA certified diamond thats even a much less color like a J or even an I with a rating thats even lower than a VS2 like maybe an SI would still look better and and hold up much better than their CE diamond. Fingers are crossed.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
built240|1330670287|3138993 said:
First he says anything big like over 1.5carats is always going to have some visible inclusions. So a 2carat diamond thats a vs2 could possibly still have some visual inclusions to the human eye but very slight. So i dont want this ring to arrive with a big cloud in the middle or something. How noticeable are these "inclusions" they speak of

2nd thing that worries me is the ring is clairity enhanced. The guy said it could have originally been an SI and they fixed it to make it a VS2.

If it's clarity-enhanced and still has visible inclusions, then what worth is the enhancement???

I also think it was almost DEFINITELY not an SI2 to start with, as SI2 diamonds sell well enough for them to not need to be enhanced. It was likely an I1 or worse.

I also think you should find a different setting. The way the diamond just kind of hangs in the air instead of being nestled in the halo is off-putting and looks like it gives it more potential for getting damaged. There are many similar but more aesthetically pleasing (to me, anyway) settings out there. For instance, this: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/estate-jewelry/rings/128PO1/32/ is one where the diamond is set in the halo properly, instead of looking like the stone was too big and instead of getting a halo to fit they just kind of said, "eh, we'll make the prongs longer!"

built240

Rough_Rock
^^^^ I just showed her and she agree's with you :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1370618.asp 1.7 carats (ask if eyeclean and get a ASET). With something like this setting: http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Stella-Princess-Cut-Diamond-with-Diamond-Accents-%28.25-ctw.%29-126.htm or http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Monique-Princess-Cut-Diamond-with-Diamond-Frame-and-Band-by-Eternity-%28.43-ctw.%29-154.htm or http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Mercedes-Princess-Cut-Diamond-with-Diamond-Accents-%28.62-ctw.%29-127.htm or http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Princess-Cut-Halo-Ring-With-Milgrain-425.htm or http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Princess-Cut-Halo-Ring-With-Split-Shank-470.htm

Or a lovely setting by Gabriel and Company. Lots of beautiful Halos by them. Or Beverly K.

Your center stone won't be 2 carats with your budget, unless you drop way down in color. But the halo diamond will add to the carat total weight and give you a very big look. And your ring, more importantly, will be much better quality.

SI is not bad quality IF graded by GIA or AGS. SI, especially in princess cuts because they have a ton of tiny facets all over the place, can frequently be eyeclean-- no visible inclusions to the naked eye.

H color or better in a Princess if you want a white stone. The points start to show color below H.

Avoid very thin Girdles.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
built240|1330766950|3139831 said:
What do you think about this place http://www.northamericandiamondbrokers.com/Search-Diamonds

lots of princess cut center stones and prices are negotiable as well.

Stick with the PS recommended vendors, IMO, and you will get the quality at the price you are looking for.

Be honest about your budget (to yourself first of all! and then to the vendors you contact). I am not sure if you are stuck on a "deal" (as you have mentioned negotiating prices and 2nd hand market) or you are really wanting a good diamond. It is an investment in your relationship, so I'd suggest getting the best you can afford, which is why I am saying be honest about what you can spend.

I encourage you to head the advice to avoid the CE's for sure, but do check out GOG & IDJ as noted above. Happy hunting!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
With the exception of buying preowned items from private sellers, which is very risky unless you know what you are doing there are no steals in jewelry. Preowed pieces on consignment can de deals and are usually a safer bet for those who are newbies.

Now...jewelry that is negotiable from a retail establishment means the place is working with high markups to give you, the guy who NEEDS to feel like he is getting a deal when he is NOT, a feel good experience while still taking advantage if your ignorance to overcharge you. They will also give you a bogus inflated appraisal document that says your item is worth double what you paid so that you insurance can over charge you too! If it was worth double what you paid then they would have charged you that price. You are not a masterflnd t. negotiator and they aren't stupid to be selling things at a loss. They are also not your friends. And for the purposes of this explanation retailer incldes anyone claiming to be a 'wholesaler'. If they were really a wholesaler they wouldn't be selling to the public, and yes that includes you. You aren't special. You are a wallet and whatever line/tactic it takes they will use to make that sale.

But by all means ignore the fact that we are jewelry addicts who KNOW jewelry, quality, and vendors. If you want VALUE instead if a feel goid illusion listen to us and call ID Jewelry or any other vendor WE have taken the time to post for you.

ETA: I hate my phone's keyboard. Editing the above is hopeless and making it worse not better. Sorry for the extreme editing errors.

SweetAsscher

Shiny_Rock
frankiextah said:
good old gold is a great princess diamond source and they have some really beautifully cut stones. definitely contact this great team.

here's an AMAZING princess cut to look at :

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8924/

setting (also good old gold ) :

http://www.goodoldgold.com/setting/Stuller121892/
I was going to suggest that diamond too!
There's is also a 2ct princess but I think it's twice as much in price, but then again I'm not sure what your budget is.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9120/

built240

Rough_Rock
Ok so im confused. There is the 1.5c diamond from goodoldgold is almost $10k and its a vs1 color I. Thats not even a good color.

Yet on here http://www.northamericandiamondbrokers.com/Search-Diamonds there are several 2carat diamonds for that price and they have a better color with just a slightly less clarity. So a full 1/2carat bigger with better color for the same price. And they negotiate price. Also GIA cert. So how is this place not the best deal?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
built240|1330808087|3140091 said:
Ok so im confused. There is the 1.5c diamond from goodoldgold is almost $10k and its a vs1 color I. Thats not even a good color.

Yet on here http://www.northamericandiamondbrokers.com/Search-Diamonds there are several 2carat diamonds for that price and they have a better color with just a slightly less clarity. So a full 1/2carat bigger with better color for the same price. And they negotiate price. Also GIA cert. So how is this place not the best deal?

because you don't know anything about the cut which is the most important factor in determining how sparkly the diamond is.

also, there is nothing wrong with I color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results