shape
carat
color
clarity

I need moonstone help, I am in moonstone HELL!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been looking for the holy grail blue moonstone since last summer and sadly, seem to have exhausted all my internet options. I had planned to search for it in Tucson, but ended up cancelling my trip at the last minute, which I now regret ;(

I want a blue moonstone with excellent schiller effect. Basically all blue. Transparent. Cabochon. I would like it to be in the 10-12mm range but would adjust accordingly for the perfect stone.

For such a common stone it is just really presenting me with a tough mission, as very few reputable gem dealers seem to carry them in their inventory.

Anyone who can point me in the right direction?

_17929.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Blergh, included, dull moonstone is common. Gorgeous, clear, blue sheen stones, unfortunately, are not.

Sorry, no helpful comment but I feel your pain!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1399681904|3669416 said:
Blergh, included, dull moonstone is common. Gorgeous, clear, blue sheen stones, unfortunately, are not.

Art Cut Gems had my perfect stone, I unfortunately waited too long and it sold. What I wouldn't give to get my hands on it now!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Elliot,
have you tried Brad at The Gem Trader?
He really has an eye for the more unusual stuff.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was at the last Intergem show, there were tons of moonstones there, with what you wanted. I should have bought one. Maybe check and see if they're coming to your area any time soon.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL: do you remember which vendors had them at Intergem?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1399693891|3669532 said:
TL: do you remember which vendors had them at Intergem?

No, but they weren't high end dealers. They were the types that sold various gem lots.

He had some gorgeous moonstones for very good prices, and I am kicking myself for not getting at least one. There was one that I really liked around a few hundred dollars, great sheen, clean, and blue color.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I emailed Brad, he just had that beautiful carved moonstone but I missed it (typical of his drops)!

As far as Intergem, that is an idea I like. There is a show in August about 90 minutes away from me. It would actually give me some time to save a bit more and maybe find some hidden offline treasure? If not, I got to play with sparklies for the day :appl:

Loving the suggestions!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the nicest material comes from Sri Lanka. I believe the Intergem dealer was an Indian gentleman, and he had lots of boxes of various gem lots, and lots of moonstone. He may have obtained them straight from the mine, or with few middlemen, hence the good prices.

Good luck!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Elliot86|1399679807|3669385 said:
I have been looking for the holy grail blue moonstone since last summer and sadly, seem to have exhausted all my internet options. I had planned to search for it in Tucson, but ended up cancelling my trip at the last minute, which I now regret ;(

I want a blue moonstone with excellent schiller effect. Basically all blue. Transparent. Cabochon. I would like it to be in the 10-12mm range but would adjust accordingly for the perfect stone.

For such a common stone it is just really presenting me with a tough mission, as very few reputable gem dealers seem to carry them in their inventory.

Anyone who can point me in the right direction?
Last time I looked this place had rainbow moonstones and blue moonstones. You have to order by phone though because it's really a wholesale place. But they have sold me single items by telephone.

http://www.stachurawholesalegemstones.com

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's probably a great idea to go and see it in person, my MIL owns a shop and she gets some in from time to time from Asia and from India and you can rarely tell from pics how it is really going to be, frequently it is less blue and more white than their pics..... I think a lot of moonstone vendors like to take pics of really nice pieces and then send you anything if they can get away with it. Other than that a few nice Antique pieces with blue moonstone come up every now & then on Ebay and Rubylane - but they usually have big $$$$$s on them.

There are occasional decent pieces set in silver bezel type jewellery going cheaply on Ebay from India as well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1399705954|3669585 said:
It's probably a great idea to go and see it in person, my MIL owns a shop and she gets some in from time to time from Asia and from India and you can rarely tell from pics how it is really going to be, frequently it is less blue and more white than their pics..... I think a lot of moonstone vendors like to take pics of really nice pieces and then send you anything if they can get away with it. Other than that a few nice Antique pieces with blue moonstone come up every now & then on Ebay and Rubylane - but they usually have big $$$$$s on them.

There are occasional decent pieces set in silver bezel type jewellery going cheaply on Ebay from India as well.

If you do purchase one in a setting, make sure the back is open. Some dealers put blue paper or foil back there to recreate the blue effect in fine moonstone.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another frustrating aspect is the blue diffusion, especially from Ebay sellers. Now I'm NOT saying I avoid Ebay as a rule, because if you have sharp eyes and know what to look for you can find occasional deals. I am done with it as a moonstone source though after asking 4 different sellers a very straightforward " Has this stone been treated?" and getting either no answer or a dance around the question.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1399733050|3669671 said:
Another frustrating aspect is the blue diffusion, especially from Ebay sellers. Now I'm NOT saying I avoid Ebay as a rule, because if you have sharp eyes and know what to look for you can find occasional deals. I am done with it as a moonstone source though after asking 4 different sellers a very straightforward " Has this stone been treated?" and getting either no answer or a dance around the question.

I wasn't aware they were diffusing blue moonstone? Is this true, if it's the same kind of diffusion that introduces elements in order to change color?

If it is, then the stone would probably need to be heated to very high temperatures, and I'm not sure if moonstone could withstand that type of treatment. Not sure though. The only "treatment" I could see would be clarity enhancement, irradiation and the "foil" backing I mentioned earlier. I could be wrong though.

If they are diffusing the stones, and you're paying a substantial sum then, I would require a reputable lab report.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Really?? A lab report for a moonstone?
I'm not arguing, mind you, it's just that, for cryin' out loud, is nothing sacred?
innerkitten, those are really pretty.
FYI, Brad's next drop is Monday.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
texaskj|1399747379|3669859 said:
I'm not arguing, mind you, it's just that, for cryin' out loud, is nothing sacred?

Actually some very fine moonstones can be thousands of dollars. I'm not sure what Elliot wants to spend, and what quality he wants (it seems to be high quality), so in that regard, it's better to protect yourself as a consumer if you're spending $$$$$$. If it's inexpensive, I probably wouldn't bother with a lab report.

Here's an example of that very pricey material.

ETA: Moonstone can be coated too - just found out. Not sure about other treatments though.

r4827_white_wx_1_.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1399682565|3669421 said:

Art Cut Gems had my perfect stone, I unfortunately waited too long and it sold. What I wouldn't give to get my hands on it now!

Did you check with Barry to see if he could get another piece similar to the one you missed out on? His supplier may have more, or he may know of other sources.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1399747631|3669863 said:
texaskj|1399747379|3669859 said:

Actually some very fine moonstones can be thousands of dollars. I'm not sure what Elliot wants to spend, and what quality he wants (it seems to be high quality), so in that regard, it's better to protect yourself as a consumer if you're spending $$$$$$. If it's inexpensive, I probably wouldn't bother with a lab report.

Here's an example of that very pricey material.

ETA: Moonstone can be coated too - just found out. Not sure about other treatments though.

I'm a lady :lol:

My budget is within the $1600-2500 range. I love that Leon Mege moonstone. Yum. The good stuff is very pricey, but I want a smallish excellent one.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1399750693|3669897 said:
Elliot86|1399682565|3669421 said:

Did you check with Barry to see if he could get another piece similar to the one you missed out on? His supplier may have more, or he may know of other sources.

I did, some months ago. He told me it isn't a big seller and he's not particularly interested in stocking more ;(

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1399737621|3669719 said:
Elliot86|1399733050|3669671 said:

I wasn't aware they were diffusing blue moonstone? Is this true, if it's the same kind of diffusion that introduces elements in order to change color?

If it is, then the stone would probably need to be heated to very high temperatures, and I'm not sure if moonstone could withstand that type of treatment. Not sure though. The only "treatment" I could see would be clarity enhancement, irradiation and the "foil" backing I mentioned earlier. I could be wrong though.

If they are diffusing the stones, and you're paying a substantial sum then, I would require a reputable lab report.

I had no idea this was being done either. Much of the "blue moonstone" I have found upon closer inspection is nothing but blue diffused white.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, same experience lots of pics and overseas vendors (mainly in Asia and India) claim their moonstone was like this pic or that pic and you get it and it's white with the scantest of pale blue sheen under some lighting but nothing like their pics. Another reason to try and see what you are buying in person first.... I saw some decent stuff ages ago on a website looking for something else but I can't for the life of me remember where it was, if I remember I will put the link. I've seen reasonably price moonstone from India at a gemstone fair that was in silver that did not have blue or any other backing that were decent pieces but it's a pretty mixed barrel of what you can end up with if you risk ordering it online.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, Andelain, you are so lucky - a valentine from none other than Oreo!

Eliot, do you ever make it to gem shows? There is a dealer at local shows around here who stocks lots of moonstone beads. He mainly sells high quality gemstone beads, but he also has faceted stones. Its a family run business and they are friendly with good (and negotiable) prices. I know that a few years ago, he was starting an online presence. His business name is "Anil Kumar" and he would be my best bet for high quality, cabochon moonstones. Good luck!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1399826886|3670434 said:

Just think how valuable this wil be when Oreo gets famous! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1399827225|3670443 said:

Just think how valuable this wil be when Oreo gets famous! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Um, isn't she already? :bigsmile:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1399827357|3670447 said:
Andelain|1399827225|3670443 said:

Um, isn't she already? :bigsmile:

Someday she'll be even more famous than GrumpyCat! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Eliot, do you ever make it to gem shows? There is a dealer at local shows around here who stocks lots of moonstone beads. He mainly sells high quality gemstone beads, but he also has faceted stones. Its a family run business and they are friendly with good (and negotiable) prices. I know that a few years ago, he was starting an online presence. His business name is "Anil Kumar" and he would be my best bet for high quality, cabochon moonstones. Good luck!

I'm excited to find that Intergem is coming my way in August! So if the dream stone hasn't shown up by then I will hit the road on a search. Tucking his name on my list, thank you! :appl:

And yes, my sweet Oreo is a star in her own mind :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results