shape
carat
color
clarity

i need help!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rozmcroz

Rough_Rock
I have been getting the run around i think. Tried to ask a diamond dealer for info about the effect a SI2 grading would have on a stone.

I was under the impression from my reading that if the cut was excellent that would make up for any distortion from inclusions... I really want a sparkley stone! but I also want one bigger than 1.25Ct

Does it depend on the location of the inclusions? Is it better if they are in the centre or the middle?

I found these but the dealer I spoke to said definitely don''t go below SI1 for GIA certificated stones.

http://www.bluenile.co.uk/diamond-search#diamonds_pid=LD01567084

http://www.bluenile.co.uk/diamond-search#diamonds_pid=LD01649425

I would really appreciate some expert help! Not sure who to believe

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2010 4:13:27 PM
Author:rozmcroz
I have been getting the run around i think. Tried to ask a diamond dealer for info about the effect a SI2 grading would have on a stone.

I was under the impression from my reading that if the cut was excellent that would make up for any distortion from inclusions... I really want a sparkley stone! but I also want one bigger than 1.25Ct

Does it depend on the location of the inclusions? Is it better if they are in the centre or the middle?

I found these but the dealer I spoke to said definitely don't go below SI1 for GIA certificated stones.

http://www.bluenile.co.uk/diamond-search#diamonds_pid=LD01649425

I would really appreciate some expert help! Not sure who to believe
Hi rozmcroz and welcome!

Concerning inclusions there are various factors that can affect whether a stone is eyeclean or not, location and type can play a part yes. It might be best if I link you to this article by Pricescope's Coatimundi - what is an eyeclean diamond?

As for SI2 clarity if the stone is verified eyeclean and it does not have grade making clouds that are negatively affecting performance, there is no reason to NOT consider this grade for GIA or AGS graded stones.

As for your selections it looks like the first and third are the same diamonds. Out of the two I definitely prefer the SI2 clarity if it is verified eyeclean and the cloud inclusions aren't an issue, the other has a very steep pavilion angle which is undesirable and can lead to colour entrapment and light leakage, without an image such as Idealscope this diamond is especially risky for cut.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SI2s come in a wide variety. I would never buy one without seeing it first or from a very trustworthy vendor.
Any place close to the table or towards the top of the stone is usually not a good place to have an inclusion.
Usually the outside where it is can be covered with a prong is your best bet (IMO). In this case you would also
need to ask the vendor whether the inclusion caused any kind of durability issue.

Here is some more reading on clarity...
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-clarity/

What is your budget for a stone? Maybe we can help you find something. If you are wanting to stretch your
budget you might want to go down to a G/H/I in color. A well cut stone will still be very white and bright.

EDIT - Lorelei - you beat me to it...You're just too good!

rozmcroz

Rough_Rock
All of this is really useful, thanks!

My budget is about 5000-5500 pounds, so in USD at the moment thats around 7800-8600. Obviously I wouldn''t want to pay a crazy amount of postage or tax on importing it...

I want to get the stone and get a friend to design/make the ring for me

I am easy about the colour but wanted an H or a G is possible. And as I said over 1.25ct

Any help would be amazing

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks promising.

Use this tool to check on the proportion, scores below 2 are worthy of further consideration such as requesting for Idealscope images, etc.

rozmcroz

Rough_Rock

hi!

not sure if i am being stupid but what tool?

thanks

rozmcroz

Rough_Rock
and what are you looking for on an idealscope?

thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 7:22:24 AM
Author: rozmcroz
and what are you looking for on an idealscope?

thanks
Basically light leakage, this page shows you how to interpret Idealscope images. This is another useful link.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 7:09:22 AM
how about this diamond?

what are the angles i should be going for for the pavillion

http://www.77diamonds.com/certificate_report.asp?report=5106735659&carat=1.29

thanks
The diamond has potential but I would really want an Idealscope image to evaluate this diamond. Also try to keep pavilion angles between 40.6- 41 degrees, crown angles between 34 - 35 degrees and always try to obtain an Idealscope image if possible.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Woops.

Thanks Lorelei. :razz:

rozmcroz

Rough_Rock
the advisor at bluenile told me they don''t do idealscopes often they have certificates... no?

so I colour won''t affect the look if it is cut well?

thanks

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yap, BN will not do any images. So you will have to decide if it is worth it buying blind or not.

rozmcroz

Rough_Rock
what do you think of the price of $7297 for a 1.32ct I colour SI1 diamond that is eye clean 100% and an ''excellent'' grading on the GIA scale? I put it into the ideal cut assessment tool and it was reported as excellent for everything apart from the last catergory which i think was fire which was very good. Again i am dealing with a diamond dealer who doesn''t to idealscopes so i have to rely on the grading system...

rozmcroz

Rough_Rock
no its the spread it reported as very good

gave a 1.7 on the visual rating scale - what is this?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2010 7:38:23 AM
no its the spread it reported as very good

gave a 1.7 on the visual rating scale - what is this?
Nothing to worry about, only diamonds with depths <60.3% get Ex for spread. The 1.7 score means the diamond is worth further evaluation, thats all it can tell you.

rozmcroz

Rough_Rock
yes that price does include our tax called VAT which is 17.5%... does the price of your example?

without being able to get an idealscope how esle can i evaluate it?

they offer a 14 day return no questions policy so i could maybe buy it and send it back if i''m not happy

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2010 6:20:21 AM
yes that price does include our tax called VAT which is 17.5%... does the price of your example?

without being able to get an idealscope how esle can i evaluate it?

they offer a 14 day return no questions policy so i could maybe buy it and send it back if i'm not happy
All you can really do then is look at in in person to see if you like it but before you do, you could post all the details you used for the HCA here, also the girdle thickness, diameter, star and lower girdle facet percentages, cut grade, polish and symmetry so we can look it over for you.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, then the price looks good. The WF stone does not have VAT factored in.

Ditto Lorelei.

rozmcroz

Rough_Rock
ok thanks, thats amazingly helpful

this is everything on the cert
mesasurements 6.99x7.01x4.35
1.32 ct
I SI1
depth 62.1
table 57
crown angle 35%
crown depth 15.5%
pavilion angle 40.8%
pavilion depth 43%
star length 55%
lower half 80%
girdle medium to slightly thick, faceted 3.5%
cultet none

polish excellent
symmetry excellent
fluorescnce none

if you understand all this in am in awe!! thanks again

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2010 6:38:36 AM
ok thanks, thats amazingly helpful

this is everything on the cert
mesasurements 6.99x7.01x4.35
1.32 ct
I SI1
depth 62.1
table 57
crown angle 35%
crown depth 15.5%
pavilion angle 40.8%
pavilion depth 43%
star length 55%
lower half 80%
girdle medium to slightly thick, faceted 3.5%
cultet none

polish excellent
symmetry excellent
fluorescnce none

if you understand all this in am in awe!! thanks again
Hi Roz

Thanks, the numbers look good, just check with that angle combo that you can't see a dark ring around the table in various viewing conditions, or any dark areas on the surface of the stone, with luck and looking at the proportions you might not.

One more question, what are the grade making inclusions on the clarity plot, such as clouds, feathers and so on please?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
yap, from the numbers, look very promising.

rozmcroz

Rough_Rock
amazing - i am in awe!

they said 100 percent eye clean. i haven''t seen a pic of the clouds etc on the stone, but in her email she said there was one small cloud and one feather on the chart the feather being close to the outside and the cloud being close to the outside of the table.

so very promising. i shall let you know when i have it in-hand!

thanks again for your expertise!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2010 7:04:47 AM
amazing - i am in awe!

they said 100 percent eye clean. i haven''t seen a pic of the clouds etc on the stone, but in her email she said there was one small cloud and one feather on the chart the feather being close to the outside and the cloud being close to the outside of the table.

so very promising. i shall let you know when i have it in-hand!

thanks again for your expertise!
Its just knowing how to do it, like with anything it becomes second nature once you do this for a while!

Maybe get an independant expert to check it over to make sure the cloud isn''t interfering with transparency to be on the safe side during the return policy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results