shape
carat
color
clarity

I need a diamond psychiatrist!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had this struggle ever since I started looking for my upgrade diamond almost 6 years ago! I am in love with two different things! I love the classic simplicity of a Tiffany solitaire and diamond band. That is basically what I started out with originally and ended up with for my upgrade/anniversary set (other than the solitaire is more in the Cartier style). But when I was looking, I also fell in love with a Van Craeynest setting, but I didn't go forward with that because of the high cost of the setting plus I wasn't sure about setting a modern diamond in an art deco setting. In the meanwhile, Jonathan at Good Old Gold develops August Vintage cushions and rounds. I think they are the most beautiful diamonds I have ever seen! And nothing could be more perfect for a VC setting, but again, we are talking about premium prices for the setting and stones.

Because I do not really care about large diamonds for myself (love looking at everyone else's, though!), I have thought about selling my perfect H&A diamond and starting over. My problem is that a smaller AV stone and VC setting would take up the whole budget. But I also think I would miss having the Tiffany solitaire (and I would do a Tiffany repro setting this time because I think my current stone is set too low and it is hard to clean the sides with the basket).

I can't really afford to have two e-rings at 1.3 cts. (with higher color and clarity), which is the size I prefer. I could go with a smaller solitaire and then get a 3 or 5 stone AV band in an antique style setting. But then the VC setting would not be in the picture.

So HELP!!!! How do I resolve this???

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS, have you looked at the for sale area?? there were some VC's there. I LOVE VC sooooo much too; in fact I NEVER dream about settings or diamonds but one night I had a dream about a VC setting. I woke up and wasn't sure who the vendor was or if it was an actual setting so one decided to look through settings on PS and I found it! I thought wow, VC makes the most beautiful settings! Note sure if you rather have a new VC? Anyway, I thought that vendors need to make settings that interchangeable with diamonds! hehe I am excited to see what you do!

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have any advice for you - just wanted to say that your current set is one of my absolute favorites on PS. Your solitaire is absolutely gorgeous, and your Legacy band compliments it perfectly. :love:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
My advice is change it for the AVC/ VC stuff. That will be 5 cents please. :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy|1318693916|3040954 said:
DS, have you looked at the for sale area?? there were some VC's there. I LOVE VC sooooo much too; in fact I NEVER dream about settings or diamonds but one night I had a dream about a VC setting. I woke up and wasn't sure who the vendor was or if it was an actual setting so one decided to look through settings on PS and I found it! I thought wow, VC makes the most beautiful settings! Note sure if you rather have a new VC? Anyway, I thought that vendors need to make settings that interchangeable with diamonds! hehe I am excited to see what you do!

Oh, I did see Angeline's gorgeous setting for sale, and it is close to my favorite! But unfortunately, her setting is for a 2 ct. plus size stone, and if anything, I plan to downsize a little! But if if had been for a 1.5 or less, I probably would have been very interested!

And yes, I really, really wish we could pop our diamonds in and out of settings to have the variety without paying so much for the center stones!!!!!!

Thanks, Skippy! :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KittyGolightly|1318694511|3040961 said:
I don't have any advice for you - just wanted to say that your current set is one of my absolute favorites on PS. Your solitaire is absolutely gorgeous, and your Legacy band compliments it perfectly. :love:

You are so sweet to say that! And truthfully, I do love what I have. That is part of the problem. I really want BOTH!!! I DO know what I love. The problem is that I love two things and just can't justify having two very expensive rings!!! I guess I could have two 1 ct. rings, but I am not 100% sure about that idea, either.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

DS please leave your ER alone! :)) That said, get the VC with a colored stone for the right hand. Leave the AVCushions for your dreams--that is what we live for! (we all need something to dream about.....)

You don't need a Psychiatrist, just right hand ring! ;))

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1318695767|3040974 said:
My advice is change it for the AVC/ VC stuff. That will be 5 cents please. :bigsmile:

Send me the bill, Danny! ;))

In my heart, I know that a VC/AV ring would be a true heirloom and that influences my thinking a lot. A plain solitaire provides a diamond for someone in the future, but it would not be the same as the other.

I just need to figure out how to have both. Ugh!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1318697041|3040991 said:
HI:

DS please leave your ER alone! :)) That said, get the VC with a colored stone for the right hand. Leave the AVCushions for your dreams--that is what we live for! (we all need something to dream about.....)

You don't need a Psychiatrist, just right hand ring! ;))

cheers--Sharon

Thanks, Sharon! I appreciate the votes for not abandoning my current ring. I searched for it for like 9 months and it was the most perfectly cut H&A stone, so it is hard to think of giving it up.

I do have a great love for sapphires, and I will have to think about whether a sapphire would look right in the setting that I love. But perhaps you are right that I need to focus on getting the VC with an affordable center stone and not give up my current solitaire which I do love. I am funny, though, in that I am not all that comfortable wearing RHR's and would probably alternate all rings on my left hand.

I have looked and looked at other antique style settings and just have seen nothing that has the perfection and originality of the VC settings. And I am afraid it is going to become a lost art before too long.

Thanks so much for your input!

tigian

Ideal_Rock
DS- I had to laugh when I read the title to your post!
I love love love your set and would be boo hoo sad if you replaced it. Though the VC's are gorgeous and heirloom quality...so is yours! I'm going to think positively for you and say something is bound to come up at a great price so you can have a RHR that quenches your thirst.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First the disclaimer: This is my opinion based on personal preference. I have 5 ACA diamonds and 1 AVC and I would trade those ACAs for another AVC in a heartbeat.

The AVC is IMHO painfully beautiful. Would you be content with a stunning setting that competed with the stone or would you prefer a stunning setting that is harmonious with it. I think the more detailed VC settings would be too busy looking with an AVC.

If you do choose to get an AVC, you could always put it in a simple solitaire setting and live with the stone awhile, get to know its moods and personality and then make a final decision. I think this is the best route to go when you are unsure about what to do.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1318692558|3040938 said:
Jonathan at Good Old Gold develops August Vintage cushions and rounds. I think they are the most beautiful diamonds I have ever seen! And nothing could be more perfect for a VC setting, but again, we are talking about premium prices for the setting and stones.

Because I do not really care about large diamonds for myself (love looking at everyone else's, though!), I have thought about selling my perfect H&A diamond and starting over.

It's clear that you have taste and style. And you also have vision. If you want to realize this new vision (VC plus newly developed diamond to go with it), then I think you have outlined a clear path for it. It would require sacrifice (in other words, of the vision you've realized with your Cartier 1895-ish, if I'm reading your post right, style ring). I realize that you want them both, and in an ideal world you'd have them both. I also realize that there are ways to split the problem down the middle (there always are). I'm not knocking what you have!

Let me give you an example. I LOVED my JLC MUT and I LOVE my ROLEX. I love them both, and equally, for they are. But the JLC is more "me." I just think that you should decide if one of your choices is more you (or not) and if that's the case, my advice is to pursue it, even though it would require giving up something that you also love. I hope that makes what I said a little more clear! I certainly didn't mean to imply anything negative about your taste! No, quite the opposite. I've always appreciated your opinion. :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tigian...thank you for your compliment on my current rings! It surely is helping me to rethink giving up what I have in order to get my other favorite. I just need more MONEY!!!

matata...oh, my! Well, your opinion means a lot since you have BOTH! Yikes!!! I am going to post the VC ring I love because I don't think it would compete because it is tiny and delicate in person. I am afraid you are right, though, about the stones. I do really, really love the AVC's and AV rounds. I really need to just go to GOG to see how low I could go in color which might enable me to get a small one. I need to look back and see what color yours is...I do remember your beautiful ring!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1318698886|3041018 said:
It's clear that you have taste and style. And you also have vision. If you want to realize this new vision (VC plus newly developed diamond to go with it), then I think you have outlined a clear path for it. It would require sacrifice (in other words, of the vision you've realized with your Cartier 1895-ish, if I'm reading your post right, style ring). I realize that you want them both, and in an ideal world you'd have them both. I also realize that there are ways to split the problem down the middle (there always are). I'm not knocking what you have!

Let me give you an example. I LOVED my JLC MUT and I LOVE my ROLEX. I love them both, and equally, for they are. But the JLC is more "me." I just think that you should decide if one of your choices is more you (or not) and if that's the case, my advice is to pursue it, even though it would require giving up something that you also love. I hope that makes what I said a little more clear! I certainly didn't mean to imply anything negative about your taste! No, quite the opposite. I've always appreciated your opinion. :))

That is so sweet, Danny, and I do get what you are saying and appreciate your opinion very much! I think your comparison to the Rolex and JLC is perfect. My current set is the Rolex and the VC/AV is the JLC. Many people have the Rolex and the solitare/legacy band because they are timeless, classic, and beautiful. Very few have the JLC or the VC/AV which are a little more unique and outstanding quality. My problem is that they are both "me", and I just need to have both like you do! Haha!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1318698087|3041004 said:
First the disclaimer: This is my opinion based on personal preference. I have 5 ACA diamonds and 1 AVC and I would trade those ACAs for another AVC in a heartbeat.

The AVC is IMHO painfully beautiful. Would you be content with a stunning setting that competed with the stone or would you prefer a stunning setting that is harmonious with it. I think the more detailed VC settings would be too busy looking with an AVC.

If you do choose to get an AVC, you could always put it in a simple solitaire setting and live with the stone awhile, get to know its moods and personality and then make a final decision. I think this is the best route to go when you are unsure about what to do.

Okay, I already replied to you above and showed edl's set with a cushion diamond, but I went back to see your ring and see that the AVC is a K! I honestly think I could go to a lower color in the AVC than the AVR. Your setting is one of my very favorites!!! I would be very happy with that style as well, but it is more than my VC! ;( (Oh, and ironically we have the same taste in watches! I have the Ebel Brasilia with diamonds!)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Drool, um, yeah, that would rock an AVC. Mine is a K and I have to work really hard to see any color.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Oh, DS, I'm so sorry you're going through this!!! I know you've always loved that VC setting and the AVC/rounds. I think you either need to take a trip to GOG or have them send you a few stones to try on in person so you can make a decision. I also love your current rings, but TOTALLY understand what you are going through, because I feel the same way sometimes!!! I think our tastes change over the years, but I feel like you always have had your heart set on the VC set. So, I think you should explore that ;))

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We posted at the same time. LOL. I love that watch. You should probably take a calming agent before visiting GOG. I would devolve into Smeagol and spray spit all over the place yelling MY PRECIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Jonathan would have to involve law enforcement. LOL.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dani|1318701196|3041037 said:
Oh, DS, I'm so sorry you're going through this!!! I know you've always loved that VC setting and the AVC/rounds. I think you either need to take a trip to GOG or have them send you a few stones to try on in person so you can make a decision. I also love your current rings, but TOTALLY understand what you are going through, because I feel the same way sometimes!!! I think our tastes change over the years, but I feel like you always have had your heart set on the VC set. So, I think you should explore that ;))

Thanks, Dani! I think the one comforting thing to me is that my taste hasn't changed because I still love the set I have and the VC set as well. I would not want to replace or buy another ring that might be a passing fancy or fad, so to speak. I wish I could go there, but I am not very sure exactly how I would even get there! I wish he was in a city near an airport!!! But I could have him send me a couple of stones. He knows my address by now! ;))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1318701272|3041040 said:
We posted at the same time. LOL. I love that watch. You should probably take a calming agent before visiting GOG. I would devolve into Smeagol and spray spit all over the place yelling MY PRECIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Jonathan would have to involve law enforcement. LOL.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :appl: :appl: :appl: OH YES!!!! I can SO relate to this!!!! lol!!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you need both :)) Decide which one you want to be the *main* ring with the larger center, and get the other in a smaller size.

I would personally get the AVC/VC you want and then buy an RB on the secondary market, maybe even a genuine Tiffany. You won't need it to be as large if the itch for the 1.3ct is scratched with the AVC. That is how I feel anyways. I don't miss my large solitaire, you know? I want a solitaire, but have no desire for a big honkin' one. I suspect you would feel the same if you have your AVC in a happy size.

But bling is there to make you happy and for fun. Why let it torment you? Just make a change if you want.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1318702225|3041054 said:
I think you need both :)) Decide which one you want to be the *main* ring with the larger center, and get the other in a smaller size.

I would personally get the AVC/VC you want and then buy an RB on the secondary market, maybe even a genuine Tiffany. You won't need it to be as large if the itch for the 1.3ct is scratched with the AVC. That is how I feel anyways. I don't miss my large solitaire, you know? I want a solitaire, but have no desire for a big honkin' one. I suspect you would feel the same if you have your AVC in a happy size.

But bling is there to make you happy and for fun. Why let it torment you? Just make a change if you want.

I knew you would relate to this, Dreamer! We had the same size rounds! My original target was a 1.4, so I never really felt like I had to have the 1.6.

I do think I need both. =) You have some good ideas about how to get there! Thanks!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not firmly of the mind that one ring cannot rule them all.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1318703320|3041063 said:

Well, if that is true, I could only know by having the VC/AV. You really liked the AV stone you looked at, right?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1318703578|3041068 said:
Dreamer_D|1318703320|3041063 said:

Well, if that is true, I could only know by having the VC/AV. You really liked the AV stone you looked at, right?

I did love it, it is a very special diamond and pulls you in. It is best for looking at up close, for the wearers enjoyment, and will draw less attention from others than your RB most likely. But you need to see one like I did to know. It helped me so much. The way that the AVC handles light is totally different than an RB. For little cost to you, you can do what I did and buy a suitable AVC and have it sent out in a temporary setting to "test drive". It really made me less anxious about things because I did not have to decide which one I would choose before actually seeing the AVC! That is impossible. You need the data, ya know? I think in that scenerio you will stop worrying and obsessing and just know what is right!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Yes you do need a diamond psychiatrist, but don't we all??? :bigsmile: Would you really miss your current solitaire? Maybe you are ready for a change. To me it doesn't seem as though you've ever been really happy with the ring you have. You've been uncertain about the size and the color and you've changed the setting more than once. Maybe you should sell it and get the August Vintage of your dreams in the VC setting you've been wanting. Just my thoughts for what they are worth. Only you can really decide what is the best choice.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd get an AVC in a heartbeat, but I am biased because I just adore these stones! In fact, I am planning on getting one someday soon (hopefully!). :naughty:

Have you tried shopping around your RB to the PS vendors? With diamond prices this crazy, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to find out what you could get for it! Probably more than you paid.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think your current set is beautiful :) BUT I realize the desire for an AVC...they are stunning :)

I would do what Dreamer did and do the test-drive because that way you don't have to decide everything all at once...you know? no need to rush your decision :) and whatever you end up with will be gorgeous!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Diamondseeker, tough decision!

I love your current set because not only is it gorgeous, it seems like it's quite functional to wear in daily life: solid, timeless, beautiful.

I hate to say it, being an AVC owner myself, but it seems like AVCs and the whole vintage ring look is really really trendy on PS right now (and for good reasons). Sooner or later (within 2-3 years?) I think that really clean, modern designs will come into vogue, or perhapse an entirely new and unforseen kind of setting due to advances in Jewellery making tech and materials. (Longtimers, please correct me on how quickly PS trends change). I don't think AVCs will ever drop off the map like the marquise, but I imagine it could be supplanted my a different new cut style.

Trends aside, I've noted several remarkable dream rings make a big splash on Show Me the Bling, only to be posted for sale in 6 months, a year, or 2 years because even though the happy owner was able to fufill their dreams, the ring didn't actually fit into their life and actually didn't get worn that often. Sadly we PSers are not Elizabeth Taylor, and super ornate jewellery doen't alway fit well into everyday life

With that in mind - is a VC setting going to be tough enough, and comfortable enough to wear in all the scenarios you wear your current set, or will you have to baby it excessively to keep from mooshing the millgrain and popping out the melee? (Mind you that VC setting looks fairly sturdy.)

Would you be willing to test-drive the setting in a cheaper metal with a smaller AVC (I have a 3/4ct which still seems fairly substantial to me) and if you like it, sell it (and on PS it wouls be easy!) and get a full size version in the specs you really want?

Some things you really can't judge until you try.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results