shape
carat
color
clarity

I need a diamond psychiatrist!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer...you are right that I need to see one. Maybe I will do that soon!

Sundial...Yes, I think I would miss my solitaire, but it is just the size that I don't care about (the cut,color, and clarity were all what I wanted). I could go for a stone in the 1.25-1.5 range and be happy, I think. I loved the H Levi setting but it obviously had a head for a 1.5 and the stone was too tight in it making it hard to clean, and that is why I changed to the Leon. I think I probably do need to send for a stone to look at to help me decide. They do not have one at the moment that would meet the specs I would want to buy, so that is another complication. I'd be selling my stone not knowing when there would be an AV stone the right size, etc.

Laila...Oh, that would be great if you get an AVC!!! GOG will put stones on consignment and that is how I would sell it. And yes, I should be able to sell it for considerably more than we paid 5 years ago, which is a plus!

slg...thank you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HopeDream|1318713608|3041143 said:
Hi Diamondseeker, tough decision!

I love your current set because not only is it gorgeous, it seems like it's quite functional to wear in daily life: solid, timeless, beautiful.

I hate to say it, being an AVC owner myself, but it seems like AVCs and the whole vintage ring look is really really trendy on PS right now (and for good reasons). Sooner or later (within 2-3 years?) I think that really clean, modern designs will come into vogue, or perhapse an entirely new and unforseen kind of setting due to advances in Jewellery making tech and materials. (Longtimers, please correct me on how quickly PS trends change). I don't think AVCs will ever drop off the map like the marquise, but I imagine it could be supplanted my a different new cut style.

Trends aside, I've noted several remarkable dream rings make a big splash on Show Me the Bling, only to be posted for sale in 6 months, a year, or 2 years because even though the happy owner was able to fufill their dreams, the ring didn't actually fit into their life and actually didn't get worn that often. Sadly we PSers are not Elizabeth Taylor, and super ornate jewellery doen't alway fit well into everyday life

With that in mind - is a VC setting going to be tough enough, and comfortable enough to wear in all the scenarios you wear your current set, or will you have to baby it excessively to keep from mooshing the millgrain and popping out the melee? (Mind you that VC setting looks fairly sturdy.)

Would you be willing to test-drive the setting in a cheaper metal with a smaller AVC (I have a 3/4ct which still seems fairly substantial to me) and if you like it, sell it (and on PS it wouls be easy!) and get a full size version in the specs you really want?

Some things you really can't judge until you try.

You make very good points about trends. But in my case, traditional and antiques have always been my style for home furnishings as well as jewelry, so I don't think I'd ever tire of the AV diamonds. Actually, it would be great if the trend did change and I could pick up some AV stones second hand! :) I remember when antiquediagem originally posted some of his diamonds and I fell in love then, waaay before Jon got the idea of having stones cut in those styles to sell. I do feel like these stones will be more enduring, though, because they have been around for a very long time because they are beautiful, whereas there are some modern cuts that I absolutely do expect to go out of style.

And I 100% agree that people get carried away and buy very impractical rings that they later regret. My lifestyle just doesn't work with tons of pave! The VC just has about 3 little diamonds on either side of the head, so it really isn't likely to lose stones on the top of the ring. You are right that one would have to be careful with milgrain and the beautiful carving on the sides, but I have had my Legacy band for 4.5 years and am already used to being careful with it. So I don't think the VC would be any more difficult to keep in excellent condition. I am hoping to wear it without the wedding band in order to avoid any wear on the sides, too. But I will say that I chose the more simple set 5 years ago because I knew it would always be a safe choice, and I was afraid for the VC to be my only e-ring because I had had a plain solitaire for so many years and was afraid I would miss it.

I do think I need to send for a stone to look at, but I wouldn't want to invest in any more temporary settings if I could avoid it. The only issue is right now that they do not have a stone with the specs I want, so if I sent for one now, it wouldn't be one I could consider buying.

Thanks for helping me think this through! I really appreciate it!

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker, I just wanted to chime in and say that I actually prefer VC rings with smaller centers, say around 0.75 to 1 ct. My friend proposed recently with a VC ring very similar to the one you posted (I think it is this one: http://www.clay-pot.com/VAN-CRAEYNEST-Floral-Prong-Solitaire.html). I would guess the center is around 0.8-1.0 ct, Ex cut modern RB but not a H&A stone. The ring is perfection, I literally gasped when I saw it. So you can definitely put a modern stone in a VC ring, and you can get away with a smaller center. That could help keep cost down if you decide to go ahead with 2 sets.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LittleRiver|1318719742|3041207 said:
diamondseeker, I just wanted to chime in and say that I actually prefer VC rings with smaller centers, say around 0.75 to 1 ct. My friend proposed recently with a VC ring very similar to the one you posted (I think it is this one: http://www.clay-pot.com/VAN-CRAEYNEST-Floral-Prong-Solitaire.html). I would guess the center is around 0.8-1.0 ct, Ex cut modern RB but not a H&A stone. The ring is perfection, I literally gasped when I saw it. So you can definitely put a modern stone in a VC ring, and you can get away with a smaller center. That could help keep cost down if you decide to go ahead with 2 sets.

I adore that setting, too, and probably should price it. Mine has the scroll carving on the sides and this one may cost a little less since it does not have all the detail on the sides. It is interesting that you said that about the VC rings looking good with smaller diamonds, because I also felt that way when I saw the 1.5 ct simulant in the setting I posted above. It just looked too big to me. My disadvantage is that I have no way to access a sample setting and AV diamond at the same time to try to figure out the smallest size I would like! I am glad you had that reaction when you saw your friend's ring, because that is the way I felt when I saw the VC, too. It was far more beautiful than pictures can capture. Thanks very much for your help!

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for AVC + VC! :naughty:
I haven't seen any VC settings in real life, but based on the VC rings that other PSers posted, I think the stone looks bigger in the VC settings.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
5 stone in a VC setting as a standalone RHR.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS,

I don't know of your whole "diamond journey" but I do know that you've been wonderfully helpful to other posters, including myself. I also know that you've always felt that your current RB is a tad too big. I just wanted to wish you luck and make sure you have fun in this new project. I hope you get to keep your current set, with a smaller diamond more to your liking, as well as get an AVC + VC setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1318740872|3041350 said:
5 stone in a VC setting as a standalone RHR.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a VC five stone here locally. There are a few jewelers who stock the line. My favorite VC is the airy dome ring. Way out of budget for me, but with a smaller stone it would be an EXTREME knockout.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS, I really like Dreamers idea of getting the VC with the AVC or AVR and then getting a smaller solitaire so you can have both rings. It will be much easier to find a smaller RB on the second hand market and you might be able to just put it in your H. Levi setting and wear it with your legacy for the solitaire look. So, you not even out the cost of another setting.

I have walked this journey with you and although I think your set is absolutely stunning and wonderful you have doubted the size from the very beginning. I think you have a rare opportunity to change by selling your stone and not really losing any money so this is the perfect time to go ahead and make the change. I really don't think you'd regret it at all.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
The more I think about this, the more I agree that you need 2 sets! But I would put the smaller stone in the VC ring and the larger stone in the Tiffany repro. Could you swing a 0.75 ct AVR and a 1.3 ct RB? I really think you would be happy with a smaller stone in the VC, especially if you chose a head like the one I posted, which is almost an illusion head.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1318702225|3041054 said:
I think you need both :)) Decide which one you want to be the *main* ring with the larger center, and get the other in a smaller size.

I would personally get the AVC/VC you want and then buy an RB on the secondary market, maybe even a genuine Tiffany. You won't need it to be as large if the itch for the 1.3ct is scratched with the AVC. That is how I feel anyways. I don't miss my large solitaire, you know? I want a solitaire, but have no desire for a big honkin' one. I suspect you would feel the same if you have your AVC in a happy size.

But bling is there to make you happy and for fun. Why let it torment you? Just make a change if you want.

this is what I would do. I would get the AVC in your comfortable size that you love in the VC setting. I would then search out on the secondary market a H&A stone in a small size to have both.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cookie...thanks! I think you are right about the VC/AVC!

Gypsy...I haven't seen any VC rings bands with larger stones, although they may have many that aren't in their current catalog. It is difficult because I live on the other side of the country and can't go there to look at all the possibilities, and they definitely are not current on being able to email pictures, etc. They really function by phone, only! I like that idea, actually, though. It just might be hard to pull off.

Phoenix...Thank you! I love, love all your fun projects and I appreciate your opinion! I do think I need both!

MrsS...my jewelry buddy, I do agree that this of all times is my ideal opportunity to change my ring without losing money! I am wasting some $$ on settings, but if I could just do it all right this time, it would be worth it! I think it is very possible I could use the H Levi setting if I could find around a 1.4 ct. round. In any event, I would not spend a lot on a solitaire setting again.

Little River...I think this is how I am leaning depending on what stones are available. I don't think I'd be happy with less than 1.2 in a plain solitaire because with anything smaller, it wouldn't be an upgrade over my original 1 ct. stone. I just need to send for an AVC to get an idea of the size I need for that.

Amy...I think this is the consensus and the best plan! We have a big anniversary at the end of the year, so I am going to hope my diamond sells quickly so that I can get the VC ring for that. Then I can replace the solitaire when I find a good deal on the right stone.

Thanks to all of you for helping me think this through!!!

I do want to say that I really don't think my current stone is too large. There are times I really like having it. Sales people take me more seriously in jewelry stores, for one thing. ;)) But size is not the most important thing to me. I just want a fine quality stone with overall great cut, color, clarity. One worthy of an heirloom for my daughters or granddaughters. But I know in the world I live in, most young women in their 20's do not get e-rings much over a carat (our older daughter has a 1.15), and I'd rather leave stones in that size range because I don't want their own e-rings to look small in comparison to the ones they get from me! I know probably no one else thinks like this, but part of my pleasure in my jewelry is to know that it will be enjoyed by future generations. The only item I received from my family was the 1 ct. stone that I had BG recut, and I really want to add other special items that will be heirlooms. I can't take my jewelry with me, but I can leave it for the enjoyment of my girls!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Diamondseeker, thanks for the kind words. I might have missed this but which one are you more interested in, th AV cushion or round?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I haven't weighed in on this post, but I have been reading it with interest. I am notoriously bad at making decisions like this one. If you could see an AVC in person, I do think that might help you decide. If you don't mind my asking, approx. how old are you? I ask because I got my stone and chose the setting that *I* love. By the time I'm ready to give it to someone else, hopefully, I will have worn it for 40+ years and the setting will not owe anyone a penny. If my child/grandchild wants to reset the stone, so be it. I wouldn't NOT get something you love thinking about who may/may not wear it in the future. Just my two cents. I truly feel your pain. It's why it took me so long to get it right.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1318800426|3041607 said:
Diamondseeker, thanks for the kind words. I might have missed this but which one are you more interested in, th AV cushion or round?

I like them both, Danny. If I decided to keep a round solitaire, I'd probably go for the cushion for the other ring. But if I only had one ring, I could go either way.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1318801820|3041617 said:
I haven't weighed in on this post, but I have been reading it with interest. I am notoriously bad at making decisions like this one. If you could see an AVC in person, I do think that might help you decide. If you don't mind my asking, approx. how old are you? I ask because I got my stone and chose the setting that *I* love. By the time I'm ready to give it to someone else, hopefully, I will have worn it for 40+ years and the setting will not owe anyone a penny. If my child/grandchild wants to reset the stone, so be it. I wouldn't NOT get something you love thinking about who may/may not wear it in the future. Just my two cents. I truly feel your pain. It's why it took me so long to get it right.

Yenny, I adore your new ring! :love: To me, it is a great example of an heirloom ring! Yes, future owners may have different taste and reset, but there are also some here like Glitterata who was fortunate enough to inherit gorgeous antique rings (actually I think it was 1 ring and 1 antique stone that she had set). I am 50+ and we have a 2 grown kids and the youngest is a sophomore in HS. I recently got a ring from my mother that had been in her family that she had reset the diamond into a solitaire, and I had the stone recut and reset by BG! So I think that is fine. However, if it had been set in a beautiful antique setting, I surely would have loved to have kept it as is. But whatever I get, I am definitely getting what I like and not what I think anyone else would like! I just can't justify the expense of keeping a $20k+ H&A diamond ring and getting a VC/AV ring, too. My generous husband would let me do it, but I just don't want $40k tied up in 2 rings especially since I don't work now and have spent a lot over the past year furnishing a new house. So if I started over, I would want to do both rings for less than that. (It's really just a side issue that I want the stones not to dwarf my daughter's own e-rings.:)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1318819988|3041782 said:
I just don't want $40k tied up in 2 rings

Aiyeeee. This is tantamount to PS heresy, a major violation of The Bling Diva Code of Honor. I'm reporting you to admin. Demotion to Shiny Rock for you young lady.

You have 2 ring fingers. One needs to keep your current solitaire and the other needs a discrete AV.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1318820979|3041784 said:

Aiyeeee. This is tantamount to PS heresy, a major violation of The Bling Diva Code of Honor. I'm reporting you to admin. Demotion to Shiny Rock for you young lady.

You have 2 ring fingers. One needs to keep your current solitaire and the other needs a discrete AV.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :appl: I had to zoom my screen to read the small print!

:errrr: I'm SORRY I broke the Bling Diva Code of Honor!!!!! I will try to do better, I promise!

I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings.............................

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much better. You keep chanting and I'll work on my enabler issues :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1318821706|3041789 said:
Much better. You keep chanting and I'll work on my enabler issues :bigsmile:

:lol:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1318821380|3041786 said:

:errrr: I'm SORRY I broke the Bling Diva Code of Honor!!!!! I will try to do better, I promise!

I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings. I need 2 $20k rings.............................

You two ladies are too cute! :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1318823546|3041800 said:

You two ladies are too cute! :bigsmile:

Cute or crazy???? :wacko: :lol:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Depends on whom you ask. On PS you're crazy for NOT wanting two gorgeous rings if DH is on board. IRL, just the opposite! :lol:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1318855693|3041921 said:
Depends on whom you ask. On PS you're crazy for NOT wanting two gorgeous rings if DH is on board. IRL, just the opposite! :lol:

Ha, ditto! If your husband is okay with it, DO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIT! :cheeky: I love your current set, but VC settings are seriously stunning. After seeing pictures of your house, an AVC in a VC setting seems like your taste-traditional and detailed!

I can't wait to see what you end up with...and hopefully it'll be two gorgeous rings! ;))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1318858811|3041941 said:
yennyfire|1318855693|3041921 said:

Ha, ditto! If your husband is okay with it, DO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIT! :cheeky: I love your current set, but VC settings are seriously stunning. After seeing pictures of your house, an AVC in a VC setting seems like your taste-traditional and detailed!

I can't wait to see what you end up with...and hopefully it'll be two gorgeous rings! ;))

Thanks, thing2!!! I appreciate that!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOL! :bigsmile:

Gosh. What a dilemma DS!

If I can poke at you with my own stick... have you considered MC2? http://mc2jewels.com/ My *one* gripe about VC is their prongs, MC2 has mastered that as well.

Honestly though... there isn't *anything* more classic and timeless than your set right now, just as it is. It's breathtaking because of how simple and elegant it is. Not that an antiquey stone in a VC wouldn't be breathtaking too, but really nothing can match that classic, simple glamour.

Does it have to be a diamond? I'm thinking of faegrace's chunky cushion aqua [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sos-aqua-setting-help.162461/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sos-aqua-setting-help.162461/[/URL] same cut in a brighter, warmer colour in a yg VC/MC2 - utterly exquisite, and so different from your set, so no competition at all...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1318953550|3042741 said:
Gosh. What a dilemma DS!

If I can poke at you with my own stick... have you considered MC2? http://mc2jewels.com/ My *one* gripe about VC is their prongs, MC2 has mastered that as well.

Honestly though... there isn't *anything* more classic and timeless than your set right now, just as it is. It's breathtaking because of how simple and elegant it is. Not that an antiquey stone in a VC wouldn't be breathtaking too, but really nothing can match that classic, simple glamour.

Does it have to be a diamond? I'm thinking of faegrace's chunky cushion aqua [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sos-aqua-setting-help.162461/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sos-aqua-setting-help.162461/[/URL] same cut in a brighter, warmer colour in a yg VC/MC2 - utterly exquisite, and so different from your set, so no competition at all...

Yssie, it is such a curse in a way to know as much as we know! I will admit that VC does not have prongs mastered to our standards even though the rest of the rings are works of art. I did talk to them yesterday and they said they would make the ring and send it to the diamond vendor if I wanted. Then I'd have another chance of getting the prongs right! lol! But trust me, I am worried about the prong issue!

Well, MC2 certainly has extraordinary art jewelry :love: , but they are unfortunately waaay out of my league in regard to price. VC is almost, but I can stretch to do it. There just aren't a lot of choices for this level of work in antique style, I am afraid.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my current set. I do love it. There hasn't been a single day that I regret this set or wish I had something instead of it (other than being willing to have a smaller diamond solitaire). I have come to the conclusion that whatever I do, this needs to remain my primary wedding set, and any other rings are a bonus. I just can't sell this diamond and only have a VC ring, as much as I'd love it. They are just two different looks entirely and I love both. I think the thing I have to decide is whether to sell this stone and buy a smaller one and then have some money to put toward the VC/AV ring. I really need someone to sell the round I need on the pre-loved forum so I can get a deal on that! But still, I question parting with a stone that had close to perfect numbers and scored a color grade higher than the lab report. I know it is weird to say it here, but I really don't care about the size as long as it is at least 1.25 cts. and 7mm.

Another option is just to shop antique rings, but the only problem with that is that I am spoiled with the perfect symmetry, light performance, and condition of the AV stones, and of course, very few old rings have the quality of a VC setting.

That was a beautiful aqua! I really want to know what setting she decided on! I am a little afraid of the stones that are not as durable, though. I did look at some sapphires earlier this year, but didn't find exactly what I wanted then, either. There is a Singlestone setting I've wanted to use for a sapphire, but it requires a cushion and it is always hard to find exactly what you want with colored stones, too. I might consider an aqua, though, because I am very careful with my rings and wouldn't wear it everyday anyway. (ETA: But back to the prongs...even Leon scratched Ellen's gorgeous aqua while setting it in those fabulous prongs, so I'd have to scratch that idea!)

I do want to get something for this anniversary in December, but I am obviously stuck as to what to do without spending a huge amount of money!!! :errrr:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote would be to have Jon send you an AVC in a temporary holder for a trial run. They appear to be beautiful stones; however, we are seeing them in pictures and not so much in real life. How many posters have we seen here say that they don't want a H&A stone because they don't want to see those dark arrows all the time? That's their perception of what they look like as that's what they see in the excellent, magnified photos. I think the same would be true of the AVCs. Those chunky facets that we all drool over up close probably don't look like that all the time in real life. I've often wondered if the large center facets face up dark at times in certain lighting (much the same way as the light and dark areas do in the rounds) and if I would find that constantly mesmerizing or irritating? Who knows? You'll never know for sure until you see one on your own hand in many different lighting conditions.

I do, as one other poster intimated, think these stones are the new trend. Will the allure last? Who knows? No one outside of PS in my real world would ever know or understand what an August Vintage cushion stone is - other than maybe a cushion shape. They could appreciate a beautiful stone - just as they do a round brilliant but would never understand the technical stuff. I would never think about making that change unless I could live with one for a bit and compare it to your round stone particularly because you are dealing with pricey diamonds. You may love them both; then you'd have a real decision to make but at least you could make it with a real life comparison.

The VC settings are obviously something you have loved for a long time. They are beautiful with round stones as well so the compromise might very well be a VC setting with your round stone. I think we all love the idea of leaving heirloom stones or rings but in all honesty our children or grandchildren might not appreciate or love what we leave behind as much as we hope they will. Hopefully you will live many more years and in that time tastes and trends will change many times over. Just buy what you want and hope that it will one day make someone happy. If not, at least it will have had a very good run in your life!

Making the trip to GOG would be the ideal thing to do but paying shipping both ways to try a stone would probably be much cheaper in the long run. You could try the stone in your own living and lighting environment which is where you would want it to show up best. I'd definitely consider doing it if I was that smitten with the stones.

You asked for a psychiatrist and I gave a sermon - sorry! It's just a weighty, expensive proposition and I remember how much you agonized over purchasing your current stone. You have some beautiful jewelry DS - and I want that trend to continue for you - with no hesitation and no regret!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS... they are local to me, I think. If they are willing to put up with a PS troupe coming through I can ask to see if anyone in the Nor Cal groups wants to go on a field trip. I'm a horrid picture taker but there are quite a few good ones in our bunch. Then you can call them and ask them to show us what they have (if they have something that suits you from the phone description) and we can take pics for you and post them. Plus it would be fun for us.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1318987519|3043125 said:
My vote would be to have Jon send you an AVC in a temporary holder for a trial run. They appear to be beautiful stones; however, we are seeing them in pictures and not so much in real life. How many posters have we seen here say that they don't want a H&A stone because they don't want to see those dark arrows all the time? That's their perception of what they look like as that's what they see in the excellent, magnified photos. I think the same would be true of the AVCs. Those chunky facets that we all drool over up close probably don't look like that all the time in real life. I've often wondered if the large center facets face up dark at times in certain lighting (much the same way as the light and dark areas do in the rounds) and if I would find that constantly mesmerizing or irritating? Who knows? You'll never know for sure until you see one on your own hand in many different lighting conditions.

I do, as one other poster intimated, think these stones are the new trend. Will the allure last? Who knows? No one outside of PS in my real world would ever know or understand what an August Vintage cushion stone is - other than maybe a cushion shape. They could appreciate a beautiful stone - just as they do a round brilliant but would never understand the technical stuff. I would never think about making that change unless I could live with one for a bit and compare it to your round stone particularly because you are dealing with pricey diamonds. You may love them both; then you'd have a real decision to make but at least you could make it with a real life comparison.

The VC settings are obviously something you have loved for a long time. They are beautiful with round stones as well so the compromise might very well be a VC setting with your round stone. I think we all love the idea of leaving heirloom stones or rings but in all honesty our children or grandchildren might not appreciate or love what we leave behind as much as we hope they will. Hopefully you will live many more years and in that time tastes and trends will change many times over. Just buy what you want and hope that it will one day make someone happy. If not, at least it will have had a very good run in your life!

Making the trip to GOG would be the ideal thing to do but paying shipping both ways to try a stone would probably be much cheaper in the long run. You could try the stone in your own living and lighting environment which is where you would want it to show up best. I'd definitely consider doing it if I was that smitten with the stones.

You asked for a psychiatrist and I gave a sermon - sorry! It's just a weighty, expensive proposition and I remember how much you agonized over purchasing your current stone. You have some beautiful jewelry DS - and I want that trend to continue for you - with no hesitation and no regret!

MGR, thank you for taking the time to help me think through this! I think you are absolutely right that there is no way to know how I'll feel about the AVC without seeing one in person. I asked Jon what he has coming in, and he has about 4 stones that would be potentially strong candidates, and several others depending on my color tolerance. I am afraid that the different personality of the old cuts would not make me want to have that as my only diamond. I appreciate the brilliance of a rb from across a room. So I am not going to give up having a rb. I just have to decide whether to keep my current diamond or sell and get a smaller one and a small AVC.

You are right, though, I did agonize the same way over buying my current stone! It is interesting that I am not that way with most other things, but I think it is because of the expense and not wanting to make an expensive mistake! Thanks for the compliment about my jewelry and your good wishes! I really, really appreciate all my PS friends like you who have taken the time to reply! :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results