shape
carat
color
clarity

I must ask a stupid Q. Can a single diamond rough yield 2 different color stones?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it possible for a 15ct rough to yield a D and a J colored stone? I know it can yield different clarity but how about different colors?

Reactions: AV_

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh. This is an interesting question DF! (If it’s a stupid question then I’m asking it too :bigsmile:)

I look forward to trade opinions and experiences!

But I’ll ask an additional question:
Is it possible for the same chunk of rough to yield two stones of similar size and different body colour?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rough can be different colours across a piece of it - Yoram has posted Instagram photos of a cut diamond with colour banding, which must mean rough is more than one colour :)

EDIT: here you go! https://www.instagram.com/p/BhJ7JYkHckn/

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am totally guessing but I bet it can!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
yes its possible

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rough can be different colours across a piece of it - Yoram has posted Instagram photos of a cut diamond with colour banding, which must mean rough is more than one colour :)
So on a MRB you can have a D color crown and a intense yellow color pavil?
woohoo.gif

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Cuttable diamonds are not too common as specimens, but stryking growth patterns and color zoning are preferred for them.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
So on a MRB you can have a D color crown and a intense yellow color pavil?
woohoo.gif
More likely brown it would be unlikely for a diamond rough to have partial nitrogen for yellow unless it was 2 crystals that grew together at different times when conditions changed.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to say yes because I have a yellow Argyle diamond here that is tiny that is multi coloured ie it's not one yellow it's like 3 or 4 different shades of yellow across the face of the stone.

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
@Dancing Fire
From first hand experience, yes, this is definitely possible.
This happened on a diamond we produced from rough a while back that yielded two different colors although the difference was two color grades between the two stones.
I'll try to see if I can track down the two diamonds. It would be interesting to show this to the community.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to say yes because I have a yellow Argyle diamond here that is tiny that is multi coloured ie it's not one yellow it's like 3 or 4 different shades of yellow across the face of the stone.
Pics!! :))

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry for coming to this thread a little late. I will try to explain it as simply as possible. There are actually two aspects at play, independently, and when one thinks about the second aspect, one could wonder whether lab-grading of color, as it exists, makes logical sense.

Aspect 1 is color-zoning. This exists and can have various causes. But let's just agree to the simple fact: tint is not necessarily evenly distributed across a rough diamond.

Aspect 2 is possibly more interesting, as it shows a relationship of color with size and cut-quality.

This often is the case in a nice rough crystal, lending itself two two polished diamonds, one clearly bigger than the other. Just imagine a 1.20 Ct. and a 0.45 Ct.

Now, suppose both, for sake of simplicity, to be cut in the same cut-quality and in round brilliant.

We generally state that the color of diamonds is graded from the side because this allows to observe the true body-color. But is that reasoning fully correct? In diamonds of a smaller size, the light goes through less diamond material before exiting. The result: with the material having the same color, a smaller diamond cut from that material can be graded a higher color than a bigger diamond from the same material.

Hope this helps.

Live long,

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Didn't poshmommy get a beautiful custom cut diamond by Victor Canera, where the initial rough resulted in a I and J (poshmommys stone) colored diamond? :)

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Didn't poshmommy get a beautiful custom cut diamond by Victor Canera, where the initial rough resulted in a I and J (poshmommys stone) colored diamond? :)

You have better memory than I do @Lessics :) That's exactly how things went down with that project.
Initially I was referring to another two diamonds that had a two color grade variance.

utsav

Rough_Rock
Trade
Sorry for coming to this thread a little late. I will try to explain it as simply as possible. There are actually two aspects at play, independently, and when one thinks about the second aspect, one could wonder whether lab-grading of color, as it exists, makes logical sense.

Aspect 1 is color-zoning. This exists and can have various causes. But let's just agree to the simple fact: tint is not necessarily evenly distributed across a rough diamond.

Aspect 2 is possibly more interesting, as it shows a relationship of color with size and cut-quality.

This often is the case in a nice rough crystal, lending itself two two polished diamonds, one clearly bigger than the other. Just imagine a 1.20 Ct. and a 0.45 Ct.

Now, suppose both, for sake of simplicity, to be cut in the same cut-quality and in round brilliant.

We generally state that the color of diamonds is graded from the side because this allows to observe the true body-color. But is that reasoning fully correct? In diamonds of a smaller size, the light goes through less diamond material before exiting. The result: with the material having the same color, a smaller diamond cut from that material can be graded a higher color than a bigger diamond from the same material.

Hope this helps.

Live long,

I have a question. While it’s completely true that you can actually have two different colours from the same rough diamond, but wouldn’t one stone show a 5% shade of another and vice versa irrespective of size?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is cool!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Thank you very much indeed for the treat, @Serg !

___

NTS

Yellow 10 Fancy Vivid ... and 1ct Fancy yellow ... from same rough. In this case the rough had not any color zoning and only difference in the size crated the difference in color

This tells of how wide the FVY range is & what it means being small & vivid!

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you very much indeed for the treat, @Serg !

___

NTS

This tells of how wide the FVY range is & what it means being small & vivid!

Great! :)

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Based on conversations that I've had with various diamond cutters over the years, the answer is yes because of the zoning within the crystal. But perhaps it is easier for most people to think of the zoning within crystal in terms of something more familiar, like the layers found within a piece of wood, or the rings of a tree.

If you were to shave down or sand the surface of the wood, the color of the grain would change with every pass of the sanding block.

Ss52

Shiny_Rock

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting Serg. Thanks for posting the pics.
rockon2.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much @Victor Canera @Paul-Antwerp @Serg @Todd Gray for sharing your experiences with us in this thread!! Those pictures are marvellous. Serg’s 10ct vs 1ct yellow is exactly the point Paul made re. size - and fascinating outcomes on the eleven multi-shape set :cool2:

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results