clarity

I love this look

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BFA3C159-7256-49A7-808E-83AB589058A5.jpeg
23:30
Season 1 episode 3 of “love and anarchy” on Netflix

But I don’t think I could pull it off. On myself I feel like pearls look too preppy or wrong because I’m too young to be able to make it work. Am I nuts? Does anyone else think that way?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

But I don’t think I could pull it off. On myself I feel like pearls look too preppy or wrong because I’m too young to be able to make it work. Am I nuts? Does anyone else think that way?

Those look like lovely, large SS pearls. I love pearls. That's a veritable queens necklace. It would be amazing with a little black dress on a date night but maybe not for the movies. I could see them at a luncheon, or in a board meeting on a powerful woman. To me, that is a strong, powerful look.

Colorful ringed Tahitians are for movies :)
A formal white strand is, well, so formal looking. With a yuppy outfit it can look a bit stuffy and cliché. I think a beautiful young woman could pull them off, but not to the movies.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Nope :mrgreen2:
Its like someone who thinks their diamond on their ER is too big
You just have to get used to it

Not sure about the movies though ...
But pearl jewlery is more than just about Wilma Flintstone's

They do appair on the runways

I personally love really long strands of smaller pearls like the 1920's

We need some younger celebs/ stars/ pop stars/ royals to really rock the pearl look like Diana did back in the day - she might have worn them as classics but she also wore them in fun

I wish the Dutchess of Cambridge would wear pearls but pretty soon she's going to be a bit old to influence the younger ones

i admit i wasn't into pearls in my 20s (1990s) but i did have a couple of i think what is called a station necklase - fresh water dyed on silver wire- i wore lots in my early 30s

I think if i had been older in the 80s i would have been influenced by Princess Di, but as much as i loved her i wasn't into clothes or jewlery

Im not sure what preppy means btw ?
But personally im now beyound carring what others think and i wear what i like

I have certainly been to art house movie theaters where pearls on both the young and hip and the older more mature movie goer would not have looked out of place

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those look like lovely, large SS pearls. I love pearls. That's a veritable queens necklace. It would be amazing with a little black dress on a date night but maybe not for the movies. I could see them at a luncheon, or in a board meeting on a powerful woman. To me, that is a strong, powerful look.

Colorful ringed Tahitians are for movies :)
A formal white strand is, well, so formal looking. With a yuppy outfit it can look a bit stuffy and cliché. I think a beautiful young woman could pull them off, but not to the movies.

That’s the word- formal! It’s such a formal look, I don’t know how to rock it.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope :mrgreen2:
Its like someone who thinks their diamond on their ER is too big
You just have to get used to it

Not sure about the movies though ...
But pearl jewlery is more than just about Wilma Flintstone's

They do appair on the runways

I personally love really long strands of smaller pearls like the 1920's

We need some younger celebs/ stars/ pop stars/ royals to really rock the pearl look like Diana did back in the day - she might have worn them as classics but she also wore them in fun

I wish the Dutchess of Cambridge would wear pearls but pretty soon she's going to be a bit old to influence the younger ones

i admit i wasn't into pearls in my 20s (1990s) but i did have a couple of i think what is called a station necklase - fresh water dyed on silver wire- i wore lots in my early 30s

I think if i had been older in the 80s i would have been influenced by Princess Di, but as much as i loved her i wasn't into clothes or jewlery

Im not sure what preppy means btw ?
But personally im now beyound carring what others think and i wear what i like

I have certainly been to art house movie theaters where pearls on both the young and hip and the older more mature movie goer would not have looked out of place

You got it- I don’t want to look like Wilma flinstone!

Preppy is like prep school, so like a sweater with a collared shirt under and a string of pearls would be a very preppy look.

I love pearls I just have to find a way to make them fit my style without making me look stuffy or overly formal. Hmm.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

Preppy is like prep school, so like a sweater with a collared shirt under and a string of pearls would be a very preppy look.

I love pearls I just have to find a way to make them fit my style without making me look stuffy or overly formal. Hmm.

From your current PS avatar picture, it looks like your coloring would suit pearls very well. Do you have any pearl strands?

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sometimes i think im the only person who still wears a collared shirt under a jersey :lol-2: but i went straight to work from a state high school so im not preppy in any way :lol:
I don't like the feel of anything fluffy/ wooly / scratchy around my neck

But im very encouraged you love pearls, perhaps you will be the trend setter in your group or maybe you like to stand out from the crowd
google is your freind on this

Do you own any pearls right now?
How do you feel about faux pearls ?
Some very rich and influential ladies from the 20th century were famouse for their indulgence of fake pearls - and some of them at a young age

I had a really cheap long $30 strand of dyed freshwaters (brought in the 21st century)
I wore them till they broke they were so much fun - they were mixed with matching dyed shell and long silver beads
Even though they were dirt cheap and dyed a garish blue colour im going to get them restrung because now i miss them
I used to wear them causally everywhere from Christmas day to the beach to 4 wheel driving out in the forest !

i can't wait to see what you eventually deside to buy and wear
(I guess fake pearls should really go in the fabulous fashion jewlery thread but any pearl made by an actual shell fish - dyed or not - freshwater or true natural - i think can happily co exist in this thread

You just gotta find what you like and maybe also what is fun for you
Its not just about rich old ladies wearing their Wilma Flintstone's

i would love Wilma Flintstone's but a pearl journey must start somewhere

Have you done much window shopping?
Pearl paradise have some cool looking pendants and rings but remembering a pearl ring doesn't make a very good every day wear ring

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes i think im the only person who still wears a collared shirt under a jersey :lol-2: but i went straight to work from a state high school so im not preppy in any way :lol:
I don't like the feel of anything fluffy/ wooly / scratchy around my neck

But im very encouraged you love pearls, perhaps you will be the trend setter in your group or maybe you like to stand out from the crowd
google is your freind on this

Do you own any pearls right now?
How do you feel about faux pearls ?
Some very rich and influential ladies from the 20th century were famouse for their indulgence of fake pearls - and some of them at a young age

I had a really cheap long $30 strand of dyed freshwaters (brought in the 21st century)
I wore them till they broke they were so much fun - they were mixed with matching dyed shell and long silver beads
Even though they were dirt cheap and dyed a garish blue colour im going to get them restrung because now i miss them
I used to wear them causally everywhere from Christmas day to the beach to 4 wheel driving out in the forest !

i can't wait to see what you eventually deside to buy and wear
(I guess fake pearls should really go in the fabulous fashion jewlery thread but any pearl made by an actual shell fish - dyed or not - freshwater or true natural - i think can happily co exist in this thread

You just gotta find what you like and maybe also what is fun for you
Its not just about rich old ladies wearing their Wilma Flintstone's

i would love Wilma Flintstone's but a pearl journey must start somewhere

Have you done much window shopping?
Pearl paradise have some cool looking pendants and rings but remembering a pearl ring doesn't make a very good every day wear ring

Haha hey don’t get me wrong, I love the preppy look, it’s just not me. I have to find a way to wear pearls in an edgy way. I found this look on Instagram. I think layering somehow will help. I have real and fake pearls. I’m going to experiment and report back! F15C1265-6841-46D9-8EA2-602BC7B0F763.jpeg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I’ve worn that to office before. SSP strand and earrings. I think it’s just a matter of getting used to it. I wear it with jeans too :lol-2:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Haha hey don’t get me wrong, I love the preppy look, it’s just not me. I have to find a way to wear pearls in an edgy way. I found this look on Instagram. I think layering somehow will help. I have real and fake pearls. I’m going to experiment and report back! F15C1265-6841-46D9-8EA2-602BC7B0F763.jpeg

Oh yes, this is adorable. I love it. I think maybe that edgy is exactly that...use things in unexpected ways.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Maybe I’ll start with earrings.

Depending on how big your earrings are, you may need stronger/bigger backings to hold it up. Pearls are heavier than diamond earrings so they need some getting used to. Lobe Wonder helps if the weight bothers you. Pls post pics!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on how big your earrings are, you may need stronger/bigger backings to hold it up. Pearls are heavier than diamond earrings so they need some getting used to. Lobe Wonder helps if the weight bothers you. Pls post pics!

Thanks for the tip!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pretty “edgy” aesthetic and find wearing more choker length pearl strands to feel less formal. For longer lengths I like the mix n match approach or dbty to break up the formality of white pearls. Im enjoying my pearl bracelet much more now that it has an accent tahitian as well, and hopefully in the near future will be restringing it with 2 different size akoyas for a more “bubble” look.

I love that pearls lend themselves to DIY creativity and playing around until you find a style that works for you!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My advice would be to get simulated pearls in that size for a try out to see if you like it or not first.

If you like it, then save up for the real thing.

DK :))

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Sometimes formal looking jewelry looks great with very casual clothes, kind of playful or something.

Also, I think white pearls tend to look "older" or more formal than pearls in other colors. And round pearls tend to look "older" or more formal than other shapes. But there's also plenty of room for individual style.

Personally, I usually only wear a couple/few pieces of jewelry at a time, regardless of how formal or casual the occasion. When I leave the house, I always wear my wedding rings and a pair of earrings. Then usually one, two or all three of: a necklace, bracelet and right hand ring.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

OMG i love that
I actuallu found a few on the net but i didn't want to overload your thread
246417_P_1593685552827.jpg 7b15d0e05f6e083b401816272bb1a28c.jpg acebd5647b93166fe4891de50efda3da.jpg 127f7174e3bbf768c38970a90f6c65cb.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to admit im influenced by the Queen's great granny Queen Akexandra - she had a scare on her neck so layered the pearls to hide it and started a huge trend
(She wore fake with the real one)
fd2a4d5e9afa097bc609d8d617b8822e.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I brought a 'cheap' white fresh water strand from the mall jewlery and i have some Pandora braclete-like daisy charms i plan to incorporate into the necklase - i only brought 3 but now i kind of think 5 or 7 would be better and im a spacer short
hopefully they still do them

My favourite pearl colour is pink - yet i hate pink normally

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry - its 1am and i cant sleep :lol-2:
I was thinking how the preppy look puts you off
when i first started work i worked in the shop of a large regional rural supplies firm
We had a lot of very wealthy farming clients (and lots not so wealthy)
Tuesday was sale day when the farmers would bring their stock to town to be sold
The wives from some of the very big sheep stations had almost a uniform in the 80s and 90s
denham shirt and matching long skirt
with Wilma Flintstone's
i think (and do disrespect to the ladies because some of them were very pleasent to deal with) but i think as i was younger this put me off pearls at the time and yet near this same time Princess Diana was doing amazingly young and excitting things with pearls
cf504ce8cf12ec0326c2f1f626003d25-1.jpg 361175e4c2655960cccf6f57ebb511d8.jpg tc-diana-wedding-earrings-52118616-1526310820.jpg bc2ff14bdd89de17a8623bcd15929567.jpg ac6d4de69089eba18942a4d13b77f347--princess-diana-fashion-lady-diana.jpg 0000312343-019.jpg 9883af30d6e5a27d6b967fdaec1f0a6c.jpg
Sorry my love for Diana might date me, but unlike myself Diana will never get old

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Large pearls don't look formal when they are baroque. Baroque pearls cost less, too.
Even better if they are graduated-- they cost less and weigh less.
These are my baroque SSP from Pure Pearls. 9.1mm - 13.7mm

baroque WSS 9.1-13.7mm.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Large pearls don't look formal when they are baroque. Baroque pearls cost less, too.
Even better if they are graduated-- they cost less and weigh less.
These are my baroque SSP from Pure Pearls. 9.1mm - 13.7mm

baroque WSS 9.1-13.7mm.jpeg

Gorgeous strand, even better IRL and I was privileged in meeting you and seeing it in 2016.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It must have been someone else's pearls-- I've never been to the Ruckus!
But I'm glad you like the strand. =)
What you and I have in common is a certain strand of lavender/grayish Biwa pearls and a silver blister pearl pendant. :)

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It must have been someone else's pearls-- I've never been to the Ruckus!
But I'm glad you like the strand. =)
What you and I have in common is a certain strand of lavender/grayish Biwa pearls and a silver blister pearl pendant. :)

Ooo, apologies for the mix up, my bad! :oops2:

I remember those, they are gorgeous, and to my sin, I have yet to re-string them, DOH!!! I got a cat shortly getting them, and I have not strung any pearls myself since then!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry - its 1am and i cant sleep :lol-2:
I was thinking how the preppy look puts you off
when i first started work i worked in the shop of a large regional rural supplies firm
We had a lot of very wealthy farming clients (and lots not so wealthy)
Tuesday was sale day when the farmers would bring their stock to town to be sold
The wives from some of the very big sheep stations had almost a uniform in the 80s and 90s
denham shirt and matching long skirt
with Wilma Flintstone's
i think (and do disrespect to the ladies because some of them were very pleasent to deal with) but i think as i was younger this put me off pearls at the time and yet near this same time Princess Diana was doing amazingly young and excitting things with pearls
cf504ce8cf12ec0326c2f1f626003d25-1.jpg 361175e4c2655960cccf6f57ebb511d8.jpg tc-diana-wedding-earrings-52118616-1526310820.jpg bc2ff14bdd89de17a8623bcd15929567.jpg ac6d4de69089eba18942a4d13b77f347--princess-diana-fashion-lady-diana.jpg 0000312343-019.jpg 9883af30d6e5a27d6b967fdaec1f0a6c.jpg
Sorry my love for Diana might date me, but unlike myself Diana will never get old

Love!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results