shape
carat
color
clarity

I love it - but how will I set it? lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
What about the rubellite fat side up and the kite fat side down?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 12:11:50 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Date: 5/15/2009 3:26:03 AM
Author: ma re
I''ll cut to the chase as I have quite a few ideas (most of them just in my head though...).

#1 A halo of invisibly set princess (or similar) cut diamonds.

#2 A halo with flush (gipsy) set diamonds ''sprinkled around''.

#3 Bar set tapered baguette side stones for a fan look.

#4 A trapezoid cut diamond set below a wider side of rubelite (there can be another smaller one above the other side).

The stone is pretty spectacular and really lends itself to a lot of great ideas. Enjoy it!
Mr Ma re I always love your suggestions .......... now then, help me out ........

#1 - Adore this idea but it might be pricey AND the corners are going to be a pain because I''d have to find something with exact proportions.
#2 - this would mean a fairly thick halo I think if I understand you correctly? It might work but I wonder if it''ll distract from the centre stone???
#4 - I can''t picture this!

To cut back on costs, here are some diamonds I already have we could work with:-

5 x kite shape diamonds (currently in a ring that I hate and don''t wear but can''t think what to do with them)! See photo attached.

8 x small princess cut diamonds.

Alternatively, round brilliants are an option but I''d need to buy these.
#1 - yes it would be pricey, but I think this stone deserves a great setting; problem with proportions could be solved by having each side of that halo done as a separate section (kind of like in it''s own bezel), with some borders a bit wider than others, or by having plain metal corners on the halo

#2 - a halo could curve or "dome" towards the back, at the same time creating more potential surface are for the little diamonds; I don''t think those would distract too much, unless there''s like a ton of them

#4 (what''s with #3, BTW?) - you know how traps taper towards one side? Well, imagine the wider side of a trap diamond (the one usually oriented towards the center stone in rings) leaning on the wider side of your rubelite, the same side where your rubelite and diamond meat in a famous "lolly by LD" design
9.gif

BTW, what are the measurements of the rubelite, kites and princesses? I can imagine 3 princesses above and 5 below the rubelite, if they''d fit by dimensions. Kites would be tougher to mix, but I believe something could be done by suspending the rubelite from a "crown of kites" - something like three of them in the bottom row of this "bail" and two on top (I know this sounds even more complicated...).

Sorry for the confusion, sometimes gems have this effect on me
2.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2009 12:38:33 PM
Author: geckodani
Ok, I''m going to have to draw this ............... will be back in a mo. Presuming you mean the kite at the top?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2009 1:14:37 PM

Date: 5/15/2009 12:11:50 PM

I''ll cut to the chase as I have quite a few ideas (most of them just in my head though...).

#4 A trapezoid cut diamond set below a wider side of rubelite (there can be another smaller one above the other side).

The stone is pretty spectacular and really lends itself to a lot of great ideas. Enjoy it!
Mr Ma re I always love your suggestions .......... now then, help me out ........

#1 - Adore this idea but it might be pricey AND the corners are going to be a pain because I''d have to find something with exact proportions.
#2 - this would mean a fairly thick halo I think if I understand you correctly? It might work but I wonder if it''ll distract from the centre stone???
#4 - I can''t picture this!

To cut back on costs, here are some diamonds I already have we could work with:-

5 x kite shape diamonds (currently in a ring that I hate and don''t wear but can''t think what to do with them)! See photo attached.

8 x small princess cut diamonds.

Alternatively, round brilliants are an option but I''d need to buy these.
#1 - yes it would be pricey, but I think this stone deserves a great setting; problem with proportions could be solved by having each side of that halo done as a separate section (kind of like in it''s own bezel), with some borders a bit wider than others, or by having plain metal corners on the halo

#2 - a halo could curve or ''dome'' towards the back, at the same time creating more potential surface are for the little diamonds; I don''t think those would distract too much, unless there''s like a ton of them

#4 (what''s with #3, BTW?) - you know how traps taper towards one side? Well, imagine the wider side of a trap diamond (the one usually oriented towards the center stone in rings) leaning on the wider side of your rubelite, the same side where your rubelite and diamond meat in a famous ''lolly by LD'' design
9.gif

BTW, what are the measurements of the rubelite, kites and princesses? I can imagine 3 princesses above and 5 below the rubelite, if they''d fit by dimensions. Kites would be tougher to mix, but I believe something could be done by suspending the rubelite from a ''crown of kites'' - something like three of them in the bottom row of this ''bail'' and two on top (I know this sounds even more complicated...).

Sorry for the confusion, sometimes gems have this effect on me
2.gif
#1 Gotcha! Think this might be too pricey though
7.gif

#2 Mmmmm. Not sure that the curved lines will fit with the staight clean lines of the Rubellite but see what you mean.
#3 It sounded a bit too fussy (sorry)!!!!! Love your Lolly by LD comment!
#4 I like the sound of this one. I might play around with a few designs.

However, I love the crown of kites idea and also using the 8 princesses. I''m going to have to measure everything now so will be back in a mo!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 1:43:51 PM

Date: 5/15/2009 12:38:33 PM
Ok, I''m going to have to draw this ............... will be back in a mo. Presuming you mean the kite at the top?
Yes. I tried to do a quick and dirty paint cobble together and it sucked, LOL!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok - here are the measurements and I''ve put the Rubellite next to the kites and princesses so you can get an idea of size/proportion. Interestingly, having 2 kites at the top (sort of hugging the sides of the Rubellite) - a bit like Mr Ma re described looks very pretty. Right off to have a go at drawing now!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve been playing ..............

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I like the halo with the princess at the top, and both of the ones with the kite at the top look cool too!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2009 3:32:18 PM
I like the halo with the princess at the top, and both of the ones with the kite at the top look cool too!
I like the halo ones too. If I used 1 x kite I''m wondering where the bale would go without detracting from the setting. I guess it could go behind the kite BUT I think the pendant will then twist because the weight at the bottom will turn it. What do you think?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 3:39:28 PM

Date: 5/15/2009 3:32:18 PM
I like the halo ones too. If I used 1 x kite I''m wondering where the bale would go without detracting from the setting. I guess it could go behind the kite BUT I think the pendant will then twist because the weight at the bottom will turn it. What do you think?
Hmmm. I dunno on that one. I guess it would depend on the possible height (depth?) difference between the bale and the rubellite. Meh.

Jewlery design people, speak up! LOL

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

I haven''t read all of the updates yet, but I just wanted to say that I love this idea!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
What a fun project for an AWESOME stone....can''t wait to see the finished pretty on your hand!!!
36.gif

Lori

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Regarding my #2 idea, I see what you mean by the curves clashing with the straight lines, don''t know how I could''ve missed that. Well, that halo could be straight and not demand too much space if you make it a "slope", coming down from the stone. It would give more surface area than what would be perceived when looking from above. But OK, I see you''re keen on using existing stones so let''s try to figure something out.

I was hoping the kites were smaller (or that rubelite was bigger), cause in order for that crown idea to work, the size difference would have to be more obvious. Crown could also be described as a flame above the rubelite, with kites'' "fat sides" pointing bottom/south. Maybe it could work with the rubelite''s wider side on top, but I doubt it.

How about using 4 kites in a chain (sort of like that diamonds by the yard idea) oriented east/west and the fifth one with the long tip pointing down, towards the rubelite? The rubelite itself could be accented with those princesses, but instead of on top and bottom, in this case I''d set 4 princesses on each side of the rubelite (cause you''d already have kites above in a chain). Since princesses would lean on to the angled sides of the rubelite, I''d suggest that the rubelite is angled with the wide side at the bottom, cause that way, with the kite serving as a bail, you''d get an almost pear-like overall outline. Could be interesting.

I''m no good at drawing, which is why I explain this way.

Coooper

Rough_Rock
Trade
Mr ma re''s idea of setting the kites in a chain reminded me of this, which would be a great way of using the kite diamonds (although I love the star ring and wouldn''t change it myself!)

Don''t use this idea with the rubellite though - a long chain of stones needs a briolette or pearl drop where it doesn''t matter if the stone twists round.

Coooper

Rough_Rock
Trade
New poster can''t do pics! Off to read forum advice on uploading pictures...............

Coooper

Rough_Rock
Trade
If this doesn''t work then I will have to admit defeat I think - sorry for derailing the thread

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
A very crude editing job
emembarrassed.gif

Rubellite20Setting20Ideasss.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lori - thank you!

Coooper - your image size could be too big - try making it smaller. If not, this forum only allows one attempt to upload a photo until you have to change it''s name. So don''t try to upload the same photo again without adjusting the name. I wish I could see your idea
7.gif

Lovingems - I like the ideas. My concern (and this is also my concern with using a kite as the bale) is that the pendant will twist and won''t hang straight. I really like your concepts.

Mr ma re - you are a genius. I LOVE the idea of using the kites in a DBTY style. That''s definitely going to happen, whether its with this project or not. Brilliant! I''ve tried to bring your ideas to life but am not sure that the princesses have translated as you wanted them to? I''ve then gone on to add to your idea. What do you think?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the bottom left..that''s the one my eye is drawn to..I need to go back and read the whole thread! It reminds me of a pendent I saw on here..someplace..it was a slide type pendant and could be worn horizontally or vertically..had a pinkish-reddish stone and gosh it was so pretty!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2009 4:33:49 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
There was a pendant on PS that had almost scrollwork with diamond melee in it and the stone set on that, and it could hang verticle or horizontal. Let me try to find it...It belongs to DiaDiva. I remembered it having a blue stone, made it harder to find. LOL

I hope she doesn''t mind me posting it. It really is one of my Favorite Favorite pendants.

PinkTopzCollage.JPG

hahaha Great minds think alike and all! Duh, I''m babbling about this pendant and it''s already been posted. Ah, well, it''s the thought that counts I guess!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not going to be of any help at all, but that stone is GORGEOUS!
18.gif

-A

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well, the squares and the kites in your last set of drawings are not exactly to scale, so proportions are different. Princesses should be about a third of the rubelites width on the narrower side (or a quarter of it on the wider side), so they''d definatelly be smaller. But God knows if they''d look right even then, cause a lot of things look right only in my head
2.gif
You can also set princesses in a rubelite''s gallery for a really unique look, or have them alternate with kites in a chain. OK, I really need to stop with ideas now...
9.gif

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
Just my 2 cents, but I like the bottom left pendant and the top right pendant. I am really impressed with your drawing skills and the fact that you saw the potential in this stone. I will keep checking back!!!!! ;-)

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
ooh, that''s a toughie. I think I like the bottom right followed by the top right.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, me to. I like the two on the right.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
OMG I love the idea of using the kites as DBTY!!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too like the bottom left and the top right.

I also really like the kites used as a dbty necklace.

You folks are so creative!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results