shape
carat
color
clarity

i know there are a lot of pet owners on PS..

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Most people on this forum aren't frugal because they're poor. I'm frugal because I want to be. I love saving money on little things, then blowing a bunch on traveling and diamonds. If someone is so poor they cannot afford to eat, and they still want get new pets, I'd probably try to talk them out of it because it wouldn't be in the best interest of the pet. That's not the kind of situation most of us are in, so your questions don't make any sense.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YT|1361868103|3390698 said:
One thing that makes me irate, no matter what, is when people think pets are not an important as children. People are so ready to get rid of them when hardships arise. DF, your daughters were expensive to raise I'm sure... If you had lost your job and had to move into a 1 bedroom apartment, would you get rid of your daughters? No. So why get rid of an animal that you promised to be responsible for, promised to love and care for?

I may sound calm, because I don't want to be kicked off PS, but I am fuming right now.
let me just say that i'll give both of my kidneys to my daughters before i give one to my pet parrot.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire said:
One thing that makes me irate, no matter what, is when people think pets are not an important as children. People are so ready to get rid of them when hardships arise. DF, your daughters were expensive to raise I'm sure... If you had lost your job and had to move into a 1 bedroom apartment, would you get rid of your daughters? No. So why get rid of an animal that you promised to be responsible for, promised to love and care for?

I may sound calm, because I don't want to be kicked off PS, but I am fuming right now.
let me just say that i'll give both of my kidneys to my daughters before i give one to my pet parrot.

Another example that makes no sense. Your parrot will never need your kidneys. Ever.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1361902899|3390919 said:

You didn't ask if we'd give our organs to our pets. You asked why we keep them if we want to save money. Her point is that it's unfair for you to belittle pet owners for loving their pets as if they were their own children/family members. What you clearly don't get is that for some people, it's NOT a choice. As she said, infertility is painful and real. The void of not having those children you'd give your kidneys to (because you love them that much, rightly so) is REAL and very strong. Pets that can love you back (unlike fish) lessen the pain - either left by infertility, being single/without a partner, or of an age where the kids have grown up and moved out.

No matter how many times you spew out one liners about how much you love your kids, it won't invalidate the love pet owners have for their furry family members. Nobody is belittling your love for your kids, I don't see why you need to keep reiterating it. It should be a given. :confused:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1361903010|3390920 said:
Dancing Fire said:

Another example that makes no sense. Your parrot will never need your kidneys. Ever.
if we were down to our last piece of apple then i'll give it to my daughters.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1361903537|3390930 said:
ForteKitty|1361903010|3390920 said:
Dancing Fire said:

if we were down to our last piece of apple then i'll give it to my daughters.

You still don't get it, do you? Nobody is comparing children to pets. Your original question is why have pets if you're trying to save money. You don't get that people on this forum probably aren't so poor that they have to choose between food and pets.

If you must know, I think people who can't afford to have kids shouldn't have them. So there.

Btw, that last slice of apple will extend the agony of starvation just a few moments more. You're not doing them any favors.

D

Deactivated member 42515

I'm only asking for equal opportunity. You would give both your kidneys to your daughters happily. I want the same sacrifice for animals. They don't need your kidney, but if they got sick, people are so easy to just put then down even if there is a surgery or different option to save them just because it cost too much money. I am saying I would sacrifice anything of my own to save my animals, same as you would with your daughters. Equal opportunity DF, but you're a conservative so you probably don't understand what that means.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="ForteKitty|1361903792|

If you must know, I think people who can't afford to have kids shouldn't have them. So there.

[/quote]

we finally agree on something... :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YT|1361904180|3390944 said:
I'm only asking for equal opportunity. You would give both your kidneys to your daughters happily. I want the same sacrifice for animals. They don't need your kidney, but if they got sick, people are so easy to just put then down even if there is a surgery or different option to save them just because it cost too much money. I am saying I would sacrifice anything of my own to save my animals, same as you would with your daughters. Equal opportunity DF, but you're a conservative so you probably don't understand what that means.
what ever gave you that idea?... :bigsmile:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Since we're using absurd examples that make no sense, I'd like to ask a couple of my own.

1) If your family is starving, how far would you go to feed them? Would you kill another human being to feed your family? Will you feed your wife to your kids if she wasn't gone yet?

2) If you know that there is only one apple left in this entire world, and everyone is already dead. Feeding the apple to your kids will only keep them alive for a day longer, and they'd succumb to starvation anyhow, would you feed it to them? Or would you let them go sooner to end the pain?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1361904552|3390955 said:
Since we're using absurd examples that make no sense, I'd like to ask a couple of my own.

1) If your family is starving, how far would you go to feed them? Would you kill another human being to feed your family? Will you feed your wife to your kids if she wasn't gone yet?

2) If you know that there is only one apple left in this entire world, and everyone is already dead. Feeding the apple to your kids will only keep them alive for a day longer, and they'd succumb to starvation anyhow, would you feed it to them? Or would you let them go sooner to end the pain?
now you are making no sense.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1361905443|3390970 said:
ForteKitty|1361904552|3390955 said:

now you are making no sense.

That's how we feel when we read your examples. These are perfectly good questions, because people in the past have had to make choices like that. However, it doesn't apply to you, and probably never will. That's why your original question doesn't make sense in a diamond forum.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1361902044|3390903 said:
maccers|1361898080|3390865 said:
OP - have you worked out how much it costs you in water and electricity to run your fish tanks? I'm serious, I've wondered about that in general.
about $100 per month,but if i were trying to save money i wouldn't have pets,plus you don't wanna know how much i spent on building the koi pond and still not be happy with it. ::)

$100/month for fish? I had no idea, wow! But I suppose having a koi pond is rather pretty.

Luckily I'm able to save money and still have a dog... ;))

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you love Chinese sayings, how about this one?
"I might as well have gotten a dog. At least it wags its tail at me when I feed it."

You're very egocentric, DF. A lot of us PS'ers don't understand your parenting style, but we don't start threads that say "I know there are a lot of parents on PS.." and we don't poke fun at your choices. Why poke fun at ours?

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Why bother with having pets?

How about this: I'm autistic, and my dog helps take care of me. On top of being a service animal, he is also my best companion and I value his company more than that of most people. He loves me unconditionally and he helps make my life better by bringing me joy and and valuable companionship. One doesn't need to be autistic to appreciate a pet for those reasons; many people feel their lives are improved by having pets.

You can think whatever you want about people who are silly enough to choose to have pets, but personally the world would be a very difficult place for me if I didn't have my dog.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
cygnet|1361908750|3391017 said:
Why bother with having pets?

How about this: I'm autistic, and my dog helps take care of me. On top of being a service animal, he is also my best companion and I value his company more than that of most people. He loves me unconditionally and he helps make my life better by bringing me joy and and valuable companionship. One doesn't need to be autistic to appreciate a pet for those reasons; many people feel their lives are improved by having pets.

You can think whatever you want about people who are silly enough to choose to have pets, but personally the world would be a very difficult place for me if I didn't have my dog.

I was going to say something like this, as well. My sister's dog has woken her up in the middle of the night, licking her face like crazy, alerting her that she was having a very low blood sugar (she has Type 1 diabetes). He has probably saved her life multiple times, though he is not a service animal. She isn't rich, but she loves that little dog and he loves her. You can't put a price on love.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1361908678|3391016 said:
"I might as well have gotten a dog. At least it wags its tail at me when I feed it."

You're very egocentric, DF. A lot of us PS'ers don't understand your parenting style, but we don't start threads that say "I know there are a lot of parents on PS.." and we don't poke fun at your choices. Why poke fun at ours?
what is there not to understand about my parenting style?... :confused: we raise them from birth,bought them a car,paid for their college tuitions. what else should i do for them??.. :confused: :read:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Guys, it's *DF* - Provocateur extraordinaire! Disagree with him, but don't let him raise your blood pressure.

Kitties aren't all that pricy - a few hundred bucks a year for food, a few hundred bucks a year for vet visits. In return, my little 6 lb kitty threw her entire six lbs against my baby once when she thought he was too close to the edge of the bed, and flipped out and mewed and clawed to wake me up once when my husband passed out. Not to mention the cuddling, purring, and amusing the hell out of me by being herself.

Loving things is what makes us human. And, though I donate to charity and care about my fellow man ... funding a Kiva account or the like isn't the same as having a being in my life that loves me back. It might not outrank it, but that doesn't make it invalid.

P.S. - DF, I know you're not a dick, though you occasionally play one on TV. C'mon, lay off - when people reference heart-hurts like infertility, it's not a freaking joke.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1361910463|3391045 said:

what is there not to understand about my parenting style?... :confused: we raise them from birth,bought them a car,paid for their college tuitions. what else should i do for them??.. :confused: :read:

Many would argue less.

But, to bring it back to this thread, Dancing Fire, I can agree with the fact that if you can't afford a pet, you shouldn't get one, but I just wanted to clarify, are you suggesting that people that currently own pets get rid of them to save money? That's the part I think most of us are having trouble fathoming.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock

And don't forget, you taught your daughters to NEVER swear.... :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1361910952|3391053 said:
Guys, it's *DF* - Provocateur extraordinaire! Disagree with him, but don't let him raise your blood pressure.

P.S. - DF, I know you're not a dick, though you occasionally play one on TV. C'mon, lay off - when people reference heart-hurts like infertility, it's not a freaking joke.
when did i ever joke about infertility??.. :confused:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1361911648|3391066 said:

You really don't read what people write, do you? Okay I'm going to put it in a way a child can understand:

-I want a baby but can't have one = Infertility

-I am infertile and I want a fur child = I get a pet

-Pet = child, and I love it as I would a human child.

-Then you come along and shout, "your pet is inferior! You're wasting your love! YOUR PET WILL NEVER BE AS GOOD AS MY KIDS, EVER!"

-Your words = hurtful because you just insulted everyone who is infertile, because their pets ARE their kids.

Get it?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maccers|1361911517|3391065 said:

And don't forget, you taught your daughters to NEVER swear.... :lol:
they better not swear in front me... :nono:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1361912031|3391072 said:
Dancing Fire|1361911648|3391066 said:

You really don't read what people write, do you? Okay I'm going to put it in a way a child can understand:

-I want a baby but can't have one = Infertility

-I am infertile and I want a fur child = I get a pet

-Pet = child, and I love it as I would a human child.

-Then you come along and shout, "your pet is inferior! You're wasting your love! YOUR PET WILL NEVER BE AS GOOD AS MY KIDS, EVER!"

-Your words = hurtful because you just insulted everyone who is infertile, because their pets ARE their kids.

Get it?
so your telling me that all pet lovers are infertile??... :wacko:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
You should probably take a logics class. :lol:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I know you're not that stupid, but don't you think there are people here who are infertile? Don't you think what you said is very hurtful? What if one of your daughters were in that position, and she decided that her dog is now her child? Would you say the same things to her?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
forget the kids and the pets. My husband is more expensive than all of them. I think I'll start starving him. Purely for my own enjoyment.

Only rich people should have kids. Or pets. Or husbands. And fancy schmancy funerals that could feed starving kids in Africa for 17 years but whatever. Screw poor people! You don't deserve anything!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kinda...um..I think it's just a ploy to make us poor folk feel like shit that we don't have a pot to piss in and someone else has thousands of dollars worth of fish and us poor folk are spending $50/month on food for pets that we should be putting elsewhere.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yeah. I figured he's just trying to get a rise out of people. I decided I would put in my two cents anyway though. I'm pretty tolerant of a little trolling here and there on the internet, but even if he posted it trying to be funny or faux-inflammatory or something, he should have expected that some people would get upset rather than just roll their eyes and say "oh you." There's some serious stuff in this thread!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't believe I am responding.. I know better... Stink bomb thrown. Not playing.. But the whole pet thing gets me....

Bye!! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results