shape
carat
color
clarity

i know there are a lot of pet owners on PS..

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
but if you are trying to save $$$ why do you still own pets??.. :confused: pets are so expensive to keep just think of the money you can save each month w/o owning any pets,soooo...i don't get the "how do you save money thread" since most of us are pet owners.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's all about priorities DF. Why do you have children? They are so expensive- I am sure you would have a lot more money if you didn't have your daughters.
It's because they (children, animals, fill in the blank with your preference) enrich your lives way more than money ever could.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Dying is the easiest way to save money. :rolleyes: Sorry guys, my eye rolling was aimed towards DF. This isn't the first time he started a thread like this. It's really a thinly veiled middle finger at all the pet owners here. I already put in my guess as to how long it'll be before he reminds us that his "pets" are worth a lot more in the resale market.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
missy|1361839307|3390377 said:
It's all about priorities DF. Why do you have children? They are so expensive- I am sure you would have a lot more money if you didn't have your daughters.
It's because they (children, animals, fill in the blank with your preference) enrich your lives way more than money ever could.

Ha exactly! My cat is almost 10 years old, so I'm not exactly planning to kick him to the curb to save money. He honestly doesn't cost me very much at all. I probably only spend about $30 on him a month when you average everything out.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a small dog. I buy a huge bag of dog food, and he goes through the bag in maybe 6 months. He is much cheaper than a child. I have baby fever all the time, and he truly does help me with my need for companionship. I love him to death. I would love to adopt a much much larger dog to give him a sibling and best friend, but I don't think I can afford feeding a dog that large.

Also, I am cheap and resourceful with contacting a bazillion vets to find the cheapest visits and shots. I also keep him indoors so he doesn't catch weird stuff from being outside often.

Besides, who needs to save money? :lol:

ETA: THIS IS MY 3000TH POST! WOOHOO!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1361839711|3390385 said:
I have a small dog. I buy a huge bag of dog food, and he goes through the bag in maybe 6 months. He is much cheaper than a child. I have baby fever all the time, and he truly does help me with my need for companionship. I love him to death. I would love to adopt a much much larger dog to give him a sibling and best friend, but I don't think I can afford feeding a dog that large.

Also, I am cheap and resourceful with contacting a bazillion vets to find the cheapest visits and shots. I also keep him indoors so he doesn't catch weird stuff from being outside often.

Yeah! :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1361839426|3390379 said:
Dying is the easiest way to save money. :rolleyes: Sorry guys, my eye rolling was aimed towards DF. This isn't the first time he started a thread like this. It's really a thinly veiled middle finger at all the pet owners here. I already put in my guess as to how long it'll be before he reminds us that his "pets" are worth a lot more in the resale market.

LOL, I'm with you ForteKitty. I would have used a rolling eye emoticon in my reply to him but I didn't feel it was worth the energy. Not even sure why I replied to his thread except perhaps to rub it in that his daughters cost (and probably will continue to cost) way more money than any pet could...ha!

Congrats on your 3000th post Madelise!!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
At least I don't have to buy my cats any jewelry or purses to earn their affection. ;))

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1361839711|3390385 said:

Unless you have a pet you love, you wouldn't understand, DF. My dogs provide wonderful companionship to myself and my husband and are so much fun to hang out with. So much so, we don't miss having cable! :)

Off topic, Madelise - my dogs eat about 2 -2 1/2 cups each of food, they're very fuel efficient for their size! :) If you buy Costco's Nature's Domain it's $35 and has about 140 cups in the 35 lbs - so it fees a 55 lb dog for 70 days. Not bad. But it's very responsible of you to know that you're holding off getting a 2nd dog while you're on a budget. We did the same thing. We have pet insurance at $35/month per dog and it's saved us so much money on illnesses and emergencies!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
ForteKitty|1361840618|3390403 said:
At least I don't have to buy my cats any jewelry or purses to earn their affection. ;))

That's true! Nothing like the unconditional love of a dog! No matter what, they wag their tails when they see me! :)

D

Deactivated member 42515

DF, I'm usually not offended or exasperated with your posts or threads but this thread is just like Fortekitty says, I want to roll my eyes at you. My dogs are my family, my children. I will feed them before I feed myself even if I am starving. I will protect them against anything, I will take a bullet for them. They are my babies. They are no different than human children. Just because you want to save money, you wouldn't give your kid up for adoption would you? Same with me, I would sacrifice anything else before I sacrifice my dogs.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Doh! I also like to shower, despite my water bill. Not cutting down to once-a-month showers anytime soon.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
rubyshoes|1361841930|3390430 said:
Doh! I also like to shower, despite my water bill. Not cutting down to once-a-month showers anytime soon.

:appl:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
rubyshoes|1361841930|3390430 said:

If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down. :bigsmile:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
not really!!...do you know how much it cost for a Chinese traditional funeral these days? try $25-$30K!!,so i told my Chinese friends ...if you don't have money "don't die" yet... :bigsmile:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Well, we have to own pets DF, because, for some reason, it is illegal for us to own YOU.

The cost really is not high, and the returns are far better than most of the most lauded investments. In simple-speak, that means it is worth it.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
The joy I get from helping animals is unparalleled - I feel it to my very core. Although perhaps joy doesn't describe what I get from choosing to do it...more like anguish is what I feel when I do nothing. So for my own mental well-being, I choose to not only have my own pets, but I also care for animals that will never spend their lives with me. At last count, it's about $500/month I'm spending on my current group of fosters (for premium food and litter). I'd spend twice that, three times that!, to know that I saved them from the pain and suffering they would have experienced on the streets, at the mercy of hot days, cold night, stray dogs, fast cars, and cruel children.

Sometimes there is more to life than money, DF.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1361842912|3390445 said:
not really!!...do you know how much it cost for a Chinese traditional funeral these days? try $25-$30K!!,so i told my Chinese friends ...if you don't have money "don't die" yet... :bigsmile:

That's what life insurance is for. Cremation is also cheap. You can get a plastic container from the 99 cent store.

ETA: and YES, I know how much a funeral costs these days. My grandma just died. Fortunately she and grandpa had the foresight to purchase family plots and make arrangements long ago. Maybe your friends should start thinking about that. We all have plots already.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, thanks for all your congratulations :) I was hoping to save my post for a fun topic or something, but alas! I was answering DF's thread, heh. ;))

webdiva|1361840786|3390408 said:
Off topic, Madelise - my dogs eat about 2 -2 1/2 cups each of food, they're very fuel efficient for their size! :) If you buy Costco's Nature's Domain it's $35 and has about 140 cups in the 35 lbs - so it fees a 55 lb dog for 70 days. Not bad. But it's very responsible of you to know that you're holding off getting a 2nd dog while you're on a budget. We did the same thing. We have pet insurance at $35/month per dog and it's saved us so much money on illnesses and emergencies!

Thanks for that info! :cheeky: I can't wait until I'm more settled down. :appl: :appl: More doggy love! With one small indoors pooch, I already have trouble looking for apartments to rent! After grad school, and a permanent residence, I guarantee I will adopt a new dog! SO and I were just talking about it yesterday. His father really wants one, too. There's a large dog rescue group out in the inland empire that I have bookmarked. I'm thinking BIGGGGGG. Big big. And an older one that might not have much luck placing anywhere else. Of course, I haven't looked too much into it yet because I'm scared I'll get attached to a picture or antsy and jump in without proper evaluation. I'll have to figure out which breed will work best for our family.

There truly is no love like fur ball love. I mean, I really do want a family, and I really really want kids…. but I'm sure my 13 year old kid won't want to cuddle with me when I'm sick or sad.. but my 13 year old fuzzywuzzy still will! And he never judges me. Nope!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1361843233|3390450 said:

That's what life insurance is for. Cremation is also cheap. You can get a plastic container from the 99 cent store.

PUAHAHA!

Honestly, I don't even know WHY people would want their families to spend $25-30K on a funeral. Cremate me, and plant a tree or two in my name. Then take a shot or two, and party that I'm finally gone and out of your hair. No flowers. No casket. No ridiculously expensive plot.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
for the record...i'd own pets. :)) does a parrot count as a pet? koi?... :read:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha, we're trying to "cut back" and save on things...so I went and got another kitty.

I don't care. She was $65, plus vet care when we got her home, plus the added food/litter. I fell in love w/her the first time I saw her in the shelter picture. Clem helps fill the hole in my heart from having to put Bella down almost 2 years ago. She is priceless to me b/c she makes me giggle and smile and helps soothe the ache in my chest over Bella.

The little bit we've spent on our pets over the years doesn't amount to much, all considered.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1361843956|3390459 said:
Ha, we're trying to "cut back" and save on things...so I went and got another kitty.

I don't care. She was $65, plus vet care when we got her home, plus the added food/litter. I fell in love w/her the first time I saw her in the shelter picture. Clem helps fill the hole in my heart from having to put Bella down almost 2 years ago. She is priceless to me b/c she makes me giggle and smile and helps soothe the ache in my chest over Bella.

The little bit we've spent on our pets over the years doesn't amount to much, all considered.

Especially since studies have routinely shown that pet owners live longer than those that have no pets! A good investment, no? ;-)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1361844046|3390462 said:

Especially since studies have routinely shown that pet owners live longer than those that have no pets! A good investment, no? ;-)

Agreed! Clem was far and away a smart investment!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1361844046|3390462 said:

Especially if we're trying to avoid paying $25-30K for a Chinese funeral! :lol:

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1361843423|3390452 said:
Yay, thanks for all your congratulations :) I was hoping to save my post for a fun topic or something, but alas! I was answering DF's thread, heh. ;))

webdiva|1361840786|3390408 said:

Thanks for that info! :cheeky: I can't wait until I'm more settled down. :appl: :appl: More doggy love! With one small indoors pooch, I already have trouble looking for apartments to rent! After grad school, and a permanent residence, I guarantee I will adopt a new dog! SO and I were just talking about it yesterday. His father really wants one, too. There's a large dog rescue group out in the inland empire that I have bookmarked. I'm thinking BIGGGGGG. Big big. And an older one that might not have much luck placing anywhere else. Of course, I haven't looked too much into it yet because I'm scared I'll get attached to a picture or antsy and jump in without proper evaluation. I'll have to figure out which breed will work best for our family.

There truly is no love like fur ball love. I mean, I really do want a family, and I really really want kids…. but I'm sure my 13 year old kid won't want to cuddle with me when I'm sick or sad.. but my 13 year old fuzzywuzzy still will! And he never judges me. Nope!

Let's take this thread even more off topic! ;-) If you're interested in having a big dog temporarily, the rescue I volunteer for provides food, all vet care and training (if necessary) to all foster homes! :) All you provide is a warm home and belly rubs!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1361843735|3390456 said:
ForteKitty|1361843233|3390450 said:

PUAHAHA!

Honestly, I don't even know WHY people would want their families to spend $25-30K on a funeral. Cremate me, and plant a tree or two in my name. Then take a shot or two, and party that I'm finally gone and out of your hair. No flowers. No casket. No ridiculously expensive plot.

My grandparents found our family plots in the Penny Saver! A family decided to donate their body to science so they decided to sell ALL their plots. We got some really nice ones at Rose Hills for about $1k a piece! With great views of LA too, not some crappy location. All of my mom's side of the family will be buried there. The neighbors seem pretty nice. :bigsmile:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
The best things in life are actually free. A puppy lick. A cat purr.

You can't buy anything that will make you feel as good as either of those.

Saving money is not the point when it comes to pets. I'll gladly skimp somewhere else.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I wish I could get the same kind of return on investment from other decisions that I did from getting my dog.

Saving money shouldn't come at the expense of living miserably; some cuts make sense and some don't. I'd give up every piece of jewelry I owned gladly if I had to, but I wouldn't give up my dog.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
webdiva|1361845952|3390494 said:
Let's take this thread even more off topic! ;-) If you're interested in having a big dog temporarily, the rescue I volunteer for provides food, all vet care and training (if necessary) to all foster homes! :) All you provide is a warm home and belly rubs!

Oh, love, when I'm ready for that, you're actually the first person I will look for. I need help figuring out breeds and their temperament, anyway. I will never again make a mistake of "buying" a dog again, and this time, I will do research! ::)

ForteKitty said:
My grandparents found our family plots in the Penny Saver! A family decided to donate their body to science so they decided to sell ALL their plots. We got some really nice ones at Rose Hills for about $1k a piece! With great views of LA too, not some crappy location. All of my mom's side of the family will be buried there. The neighbors seem pretty nice. :bigsmile:

Well, when they're 6 feet under, they can't really bug you! :lol:
And now I can see where your crafty thriftiness comes from! It's in your genetics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results