shape
carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

Getting ready to move and having to decide what I want to pack and what I want to give away. Included in this is two punch bowls and cups along with matching snack tray things that belonged to my grandma. I love the idea of a luncheon with punch and small foods and would love to use them. I remember about twice where they were used when I was little. Been sitting since then. I washed them all when I unpacked them 12 1/2 years ago and haven't touched them since. Part of that is because our house really isn't good for entertaining and part is because some of our friends are more wine drinkers and others are more beer drinkers. The only couple of times it would have been used, I went with plastic cups for ease of clean up and fear of them breaking (partially the not wanting them broken and partially not wanting to have broken glass in the yard/deck potentially hurting the dogs).

On the one hand, we will be moving to a home we could do a lot more entertaining. On the other, they take up space in the china cabinet, may never get used, and would be a couple of boxes (okay, 4-5 between the two sets) that would need carefully packed, stored, and moved to storage then the new house. Gah!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with your move @TooPatient! I cannot offer advice on what to keep or get rid of as I tend to want to keep it all. Just in case. Luckily my DH is brutal in deciding what to get rid of or else we might just be in a hoarding situation. He keeps me honest and a non hoarder. If left to my own devices I want to keep everything!

Think about how you would feel if you no longer had it. Relief or despair? And go with that. OK just broke my no advice rule above. LOL. I mean well! Good luck!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Making lists. They should help!

To do
To give
To toss
To buy (in preparation for handyman)
To repair (list for handyman)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found movers. Found storage unit to keep stuff while house is prepped and sold.

Now just need to purge like no tomorrow, pack everything not nailed down, and keep everything going as we wait for financing approval.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just because they are so cute...
8-ish pound cat walked over and snuggled up with 65 pound dog. Both are rescues. The cat was very jumpy when she came here and the dog was from a horrible shelter in Louisiana. His only previous experience with cats was when he accidentally ended up in Wisconsin (long story!) and stayed overnight with a friend. He liked her cat a little too much.... IMG_20200921_105802827.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I was at the super market with an armful of groceries and no trolley. All I could think about was your meme as I soldiered on!

Hahaha I love it! Yassss. Memes can help in day to day life. :)

And on the opposite end of the spectrum...we all know someone like this haha.

supermarket-16.png

Just a little "light" shopping. :lol:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bayek, I’m sorry to hear about Cara. Hopefully she is beginning to feel a little better now. How wonderful that you were able to spend some great quality time with Autie. Talk about a mood booster!!! Nothing brightens a day then spending time our sweet little ones. The house is coming along beautifully. I’m so happy for you Kate.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very random. I'm feeling quite blue. It's a big convergence of "anniversary" dates. The 17th was our 37th anniversary. The 25th is my estranged sister's birthday and the anniversary of my mom's passing. The 27th was supposed to be my daughter's wedding date, but it's postponed. The 29th is my husband's birthday and anniversary of my dad's passing.

I'm so much more emotional this year. Do you think everyone is getting that way? Maybe it's just me.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i think with the multiple convergence of celebratory dates as well as dates of tragedy coinciding with lockdown and shelter in place due to the global health crisis, you are feeling emotionally down.

it's not just you. we handle these type of emotional challenges and lulls, differently ...

it's extremely, extremely challenging. some "keep it together" some need to "talk it through" and "let it out"

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not just you, Lyra, with all that’s going on, and the shorter days....

Does you DD have a new wedding date, or just a postponement?

Ps. Am I the only one, or has everyone started to keep a bag of chocolate chip cookies on the nightstand for the moment they wake up??

Last edited:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish we still had some sort of political thread. I didn’t like the heated arguments, but I am afraid for our country and wish we had a group for the support that discussions bring.

Meanwhile, Lyra, your avatar is still one of my favorites. Your pup and mine look a lot alike, but the whimsical expression in the avatar is unique.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Very random. I'm feeling quite blue. It's a big convergence of "anniversary" dates. The 17th was our 37th anniversary. The 25th is my estranged sister's birthday and the anniversary of my mom's passing. The 27th was supposed to be my daughter's wedding date, but it's postponed. The 29th is my husband's birthday and anniversary of my dad's passing.

I'm so much more emotional this year. Do you think everyone is getting that way? Maybe it's just me.

I'm sorry you're feeling blue. I think many people are feeling sad or out-of-sorts lately. It's hard when we can't connect with each other like we used to because of everything that's going on this year. I hope you feel better soon. Sending positive vibes your way.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock

Ps. Am I the only one, or has everyone started to keep a bag of chocolate chip cookies on the nightstand for the moment they wake up??

I keep thinking about what desserts I will make...cheesecake and chocolate creme brulee are coming to mind!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock

ive sailed past the "chocolate chip cookies on the nightstand"... i just go straight for my daily pint of haagen daaz matcha or van leewuen earl grey ice cream, to soothe and comfort myself

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ive sailed past the "chocolate chip cookies on the nightstand"... i just go straight for my daily pint of haagen daaz matcha or van leewuen earl grey ice cream, to soothe and comfort myself

OMG. You are a PRO. Thanks for that great idea.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Haha same. But not Haagen Daaz. Our favorite ice cream shoppe owner makes homemade ice cream that cannot be beat. We enjoy a pint a day. And the best part? He does amazing vegan flavors that are yummy to the max. So much so that my non vegan DH generally orders the vegan flavors. They are that good. With good ingredients. Organic and wholesome. To quote Jimmy. :)

Our ice cream from yesterday. Greg had the Blueberry Pancake flavor (tastes just like blueberry pancakes I swear) and I had the vegan vanilla and PB swirl. Out of this world delicious. I am not exaggerating. And we never miss our daily serving as long as we are cycling since we have to cycle to get there. And just one more thing. Since we are such good customers the owner gave us the key to his shoppe so we can always get our ice cream fix since he doesn't open til later in the day now that summer is over. How is that for amazing and wonderful and generous service? #gemofaguy #besticecreamever

@bling_dream19 @Jimmianne just waiting for Covid 19 to be over and for you guys to join me here. XOXO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lyra I am sending you big hugs and many good wishes across the miles. I feel you. I get it. It's challenging on so many levels. You are not alone. I and many others are feeling blue too. I am so sorry for all the anniversary dates that bring bittersweet memories and for those happier occasions that cannot be celebrated properly right now. ((((HUGS)))). Better days are coming. I feel it in my heart and soul.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jimmianne Yes, my daughter's new date is Sept. 26th next year. You now, I was just telling both of my daughters that I was having some anxiety that the wedding was "supposed" to be in a couple of days and I'm feeling completely unready. But they agreed that it was just because we stopped even trying to do anything a couple of months ago when we were sure about the postponement. I think once the day passes, maybe it will be more like yay, we have a whole year to finish little details. And hopefully fit into the dresses!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Haha same. But not Haagen Daaz. Our favorite ice cream shoppe owner makes homemade ice cream that cannot be beat. We enjoy a pint a day. And the best part? He does amazing vegan flavors that are yummy to the max. So much so that my non vegan DH generally orders the vegan flavors. They are that good. With good ingredients. Organic and wholesome. To quote Jimmy. :)

Our ice cream from yesterday. Greg had the Blueberry Pancake flavor (tastes just like blueberry pancakes I swear) and I had the vegan vanilla and PB swirl. Out of this world delicious. I am not exaggerating. And we never miss our daily serving as long as we are cycling since we have to cycle to get there. And just one more thing. Since we are such good customers the owner gave us the key to his shoppe so we can always get our ice cream fix since he doesn't open til later in the day now that summer is over. How is that for amazing and wonderful and generous service? #gemofaguy #besticecreamever
Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 5.47.31 AM.png

@bling_dream19 @Jimmianne just waiting for Covid 19 to be over and for you guys to join me here. XOXO.

your local ice cream shop sounds amazing!!!

giving you the keys to the shop, is so lovely and old school. i love and miss the way small businesses did that, in the past. i still see remnants of it here and there, thankfully

one day, when the world is right again, i would love to visit his shop and try the ice cream that jimmy makes. both the vegan and non vegan flavours, one day ...

ive tried many vegan ice creams as i used to be vegan, for a time, but none impressed. with the exception of van leeuwen. they are local to you, i believe. van leeuwen is from brooklyn. they make an french style earl grey ice cream that i am "in love" with.

i indulge in my pint of van leeuwen earl grey, each day. sometimes, i will have haagen daaz matcha when i want a less rich "palate cleanser" full fat ice cream.

there's also mcconnell's ice cream that is local to santa barbara. really delicious!!! I enjoy euraka lemon and marionberry, turkish coffee and salted caramel chip.

ive tried jeni's but not enough pints to come to any conclusions, just yet. but so far so good

i never used to indulge in a pint a day. but with the world the way it is, i am seeking self soothing and comfort, ice cream is it, for me. no need for cakes, brownies, pies, cookies ...
just a pint of ice cream ... and all is right and good again ... it helps me cope ..

Last edited:

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
I did a manicure with regular polish and gel topcoat (Shellac XPress 5) for the 1st time.

Usually my manicure gets dull by day 2 and starts to chip soon after. So it's super weird to me to have nails still shiny and chip-free on day 5, lol.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i never used to indulge in a pint a day. but with the world the way it is, i am seeking self soothing and comfort, ice cream is it,

I have developed a very unholy relationship with Haagen Dazs swiss almond vanilla and think maybe I should sue the company for making the product and displaying it in glass cases from which I can't possibly avert my eyes. There have been a few days where I ate 2 pints :-o

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loan approved, movers confirmed (current house to storage), two storage units ready to fill. Truck rented to move airplane parts out of garage next week. Started to buy the stuff needed to prep the house. Packing starts in high gear after lunch. Got less than 3 weeks until movers are here....

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I have developed a very unholy relationship with Haagen Dazs swiss almond vanilla and think maybe I should sue the company for making the product and displaying it in glass cases from which I can't possibly avert my eyes. There have been a few days where I ate 2 pints :-o

2 pints in one sitting?? my god, woman, you've out done me!!!!

i can do 1 pint and a half, in a sitting BUT i am not trying to resize all my rings. so i keep it at a daily pint. but as soon as i read the paper, 1 pint doesn't feel enough...

i must try swiss almond vanilla!

yes, we must bring suit against the ice cream maker for producing such a delicious product, irresponsibly displaying in glass cases, causing us to, without abandon, "overserve" ourselves!!! :P2

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 pints in one sitting?? my god, woman, you've out done me!!!!

I am not proud, lol. The sugar high and consequent crash would have frightened witnesses but I was home with just the cats and they looked at me as though I were an alien predator.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results