carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cozystitches|1459909452|4015982 said:
Please think good thoughts for me tomorrow. I'm hoping for good outcome for something that I'm really really wanting. I don't want to post more info in fear of things not going as I hoped. I'm super nervous.....sorry for the cryptic

Enrichi - I hope all goes well with your DD! :D :D

Lots of dust and good thoughts your way! I hope whatever it is goes just perfect.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1459902686|4015943 said:
I believe in the power of PS dust and am hoping there may be a few believers out there who are willing to send a sprinkling of it this way, for my DD tomorrow. She is writing her registration/licensing exam and needs a certain grade to pass. This is it - this is the final test and then it is over. She has attempted it before and was not successful, so a lot is riding on this 3 hour exam tomorrow.

If anyone has some spare PS dust they'd like to send our/her way... I'd be very grateful for all the good wishes and luck it brings!! Please think good thoughts for my wonderful daughter, as she has worked SO VERY HARD to get to this point. :halo: :saint: :halo:

Lots of dust for a great score tomorrow!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all for the great kitty comments.

Suzie Q is settling in pretty well. Drinking, using her box, hardly under the bed yesterday and none today. My only concern right this minute is that she hasn't eaten today. She seems happy. It is almost like she is so desperate to snuggle that she just isn't interested. Got her to nibble a little this evening. Hoping she finishes the rest overnight.

The other thing the shelter was concerned about is that we take it slow with our other cats and dog. One other family took her home only to have HER attack the dog and cat that were already there. She does fine with all of the cats at the shelter. No issues there. Used to live with dogs no problem. I suspect the issue for the other people is that they rushed the introductions and the dog was very much interested in playing. The volunteer made comments that made it sound like that was the issue.

So... off to bed to be snuggled by the sweet Suzie Q after trying to pamper and reassure the others that they haven't been pushed aside. (they all usually hop in bed to snuggle with us for a bit before going out to settle in to sleep on the couch together. Snuggles on the couch are apparently not as good...)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1459902686|4015943 said:
I believe in the power of PS dust and am hoping there may be a few believers out there who are willing to send a sprinkling of it this way, for my DD tomorrow. She is writing her registration/licensing exam and needs a certain grade to pass. This is it - this is the final test and then it is over. She has attempted it before and was not successful, so a lot is riding on this 3 hour exam tomorrow.

If anyone has some spare PS dust they'd like to send our/her way... I'd be very grateful for all the good wishes and luck it brings!! Please think good thoughts for my wonderful daughter, as she has worked SO VERY HARD to get to this point. :halo: :saint: :halo:

Sending bucket loads of PS ***DUST*** to your DD Enerchi!!! Good luck and sending lots of good vibes her way. :appl: :appl: :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
THANK YOU ALL For the PS dust on my DD's behalf!!

I think I'm just as nervous as she is... didn't sleep well last night, dreamt I had to be at the clinic I'm scheduled to actually work PLUS i had to take her test for her... up every hour thinking I'd missed the alarm... wow, the tricks your mind plays on you when you are psyched out!

Thank you all for thinking of her/us and you have no idea how much I appreciate the power of positive thinking!!! :halo: I'm heading off to roll in a bucket of PS good luck dust now! :D (but hurry up 730pm, then it will be over and we face waiting for results..!)

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, cat snuggles are the best. Sounds like Suzie Q is doing well in your home so far. I hope she starts to eat more soon. When I've had pets it's only been one at a time so have no experience integrating a new fur baby with existing ones. How long will it be before you introduce Suzie Q to your other pets?

Sending more dust to your DD, Enerchi. How long does she have to wait for test results?

I would love to have fresh lilac outside my house and be greeted by the scent as I walk by. We have a lot of cherry blossom trees in my neighborhood and the surrounding area but I'm not too fond of them. They are very fragrant, but the pollen is overwhelming. Allergy season is in high gear here. It is common to see a yellow coat of pollen on cars that are not garaged.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mary poppins|1459950369|4016123 said:
Aww, cat snuggles are the best. Sounds like Suzie Q is doing well in your home so far. I hope she starts to eat more soon. When I've had pets it's only been one at a time so have no experience integrating a new fur baby with existing ones. How long will it be before you introduce Suzie Q to your other pets?

Sending more dust to your DD, Enerchi. How long does she have to wait for test results?

I would love to have fresh lilac outside my house and be greeted by the scent as I walk by. We have a lot of cherry blossom trees in my neighborhood and the surrounding area but I'm not too fond of them. They are very fragrant, but the pollen is overwhelming. Allergy season is in high gear here. It is common to see a yellow coat of pollen on cars that are not garaged.

The pollen is awful!
I also found last year that little spiders like to live in the lilac blooms so if I bring them inside (even with careful shaking), I have little spiders all over for a week or more...

Suzie Q ate a bit last night off of a spoon and loved it but wouldn't touch the stuff in the bowl. Really excited for food this morning but then wouldn't eat. I got to thinking and put a pile of food straight on the floor. She ate it! Not sure what the issue is, but she does not like the food bowl. Stopping to get her a new one after work. At least she had breakfast (even if it was on the floor!).

When to introduce depends on the animals. Sometimes they need a few days and others need a few weeks. You can tell by watching. We keep Suzie Q in one room away from the rest. She has a brand new litter box and scratching post plus food & water. She can smell the other cats (and they smell her) under the door and on us. They can hear each other. When they get bored with that (so not anxious at the smells) and Suzie shows an interest in going out the bedroom door, we'll move the others to a different room and let her out to wander the rest of the house. Get used to the smells and everything plus put her smell around. When that all gets boring, we'll let them see each other but not actually together (we use like a baby gate to keep them apart but let them be together).

Sven wouldn't put up with that when he came to us. He demanded to be let out right now. It was all we could do to keep him in a room for the first day. He marched out and was fine.

Also depends on where they came from. Some we keep isolated until full exam by vet and then start the transition. Others (like Suzie Q) come from shelters where they just did a full exam and we have all of the bloodwork and stuff giving clean bill of health.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient - the way you describe introducing a new furbaby to a home with other furbabies is spot on! I hope others read this and absorb this. It takes time, but each furbaby is different, and you have to be patient and observant as a furparent.
As for eating, SuzieQ might be waiting for the fine china to be broken out! :lol:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1459955547|4016153 said:
TooPatient - the way you describe introducing a new furbaby to a home with other furbabies is spot on! I hope others read this and absorb this. It takes time, but each furbaby is different, and you have to be patient and observant as a furparent.
As for eating, SuzieQ might be waiting for the fine china to be broken out! :lol:

You should have seen the look on DH's face when he walked in and found me sitting on the floor feeding her bites from a spoon :lol:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1459955937|4016154 said:

You should have seen the look on DH's face when he walked in and found me sitting on the floor feeding her bites from a spoon :lol:
Ermagherd DIVA SuzieQ wants to be raised with a silver spoon in her mouth! :lol: :lol: :lol:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could the issue with the bowl be one of her whiskers touching the edges? Have you tried putting Miss SQ's food on a plate?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TP, Oscar will often only eat if you hand feed him one or two bits at a time. And even then he has to be coaxed. He'll walk past his bowl sometimes for a couple of days (we always leave food out) and never eat anything. Do you know how long it takes to feed a big dog a whole meal of kibble in one or to bit increments? A LONG TIME! Oh well, we do what we have to for our babies, don't we?! I think the idea about SQ not liking her whiskers touching the sides of the bowl is a good thought though so maybe a plate with solve the problem.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A plate is a good idea. Will try that too!

Yes, whatever they need.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1459957294|4016166 said:

TP, Oscar will often only eat if you hand feed him one or two bits at a time. And even then he has to be coaxed. He'll walk past his bowl sometimes for a couple of days (we always leave food out) and never eat anything. Do you know how long it takes to feed a big dog a whole meal of kibble in one or to bit increments? A LONG TIME! Oh well, we do what we have to for our babies, don't we?! I think the idea about SQ not liking her whiskers touching the sides of the bowl is a good thought though so maybe a plate with solve the problem.

That is too funny! I have seen cats be that picky but never a dog. The goof!

Is there anything he likes to eat or is it just everything that way?

Q

Queenie60

Hi ladies: Been lurking on this thread for a few days and it's awesome. So nice how all of you share such positive and not so positive things daily. Is it ok if I chime in once in a while? This is nice!

Here's my in put for the day. I have recently decided to become a Child Advocate for the State of California. In summary, it's a person who takes on a Foster Child and becomes that one consistent role model in their life. I am so excited about this new adventure. Just began my training last night and I look forward to taking on a foster child in a month or so. This is a child who will be placed with a family however, I will be in charge of being their "voice" through the court system. I've been wanting to do this for years and now that I am an empty nester, the time is right!

Love your new kitty Toopatient. I too am a local cat rescuer. I don't home them however, I'll rescue a cat a few times a year, turn it over to the local rescue lady, I've come to know her quite well! And I pay the vet bills, etc. It's my way of giving back to the animal population. Last cat I found was back in November. I rescued "Sammy" from a dumpster. So nice to see others taking in cats - so many need homes!

Thank you ladies, for allowing me to chime in on your thread! Have a wonderful day. :wavey:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Queenie60 :wavey:
You have better manners than me - I just started randomly posting in this thread one day... :lol: !

You are amazing for doing what you do! :love:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1459960342|4016189 said:
Dee*Jay|1459957294|4016166 said:

That is too funny! I have seen cats be that picky but never a dog. The goof!

Is there anything he likes to eat or is it just everything that way?

Oscar is -- and always has been -- a very picky eater. He's quite polite though; if you give him something he doesn't want he'll take it from you and very gently put it on the ground and walk away. The Demon of course would step right up and snaf down whatever Oscar abandoned.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Queenie :wavey:

Take a look in the family, health, and home forum section and find a thread called "I am not too old to learn" started by HayJoe. I think you would really enjoy reading it. Lots of sad and happy moments he has kindly shared with us.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So, my thing went well. But not exactly the desired outcome. Now I'm faced with another dilemma: status quo, possibility of similar status at an iffy place, or possibility to go where I really want but something very very different that I have to test for.... :errrr: This is a scary crossroad.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cozystitches|1460000680|4016459 said:
So, my thing went well. But not exactly the desired outcome. Now I'm faced with another dilemma: status quo, possibility of similar status at an iffy place, or possibility to go where I really want but something very very different that I have to test for.... :errrr: This is a scary crossroad.

So many options! Sending you lots of dust and hugs as you sort through the decision.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick update as I am exhausted and need to get to bed...

Suzie Q likes her new bowl. Ate some dry food out of it. Not sure if it is that it is new or doesn't touch the whiskers.... went with an oval shaped bowl to meet both in one go. So she had about 1/3 cup of dry for breakfast and nibbles through the day then about 1/4 cup for dinner. No wet food, but the dry was more than enough. I think it is just a matter of settling in now!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww... I'm glad SuzieQ likes her new bowl! She sounds like she's settling in nicely!

I'm so excited that I get to focus on having my very own garden this year! Last year was all about the interior of the home - renovations, slowly adding furniture and decor. My yard was totally neglected - it needed supplemental watering, and I really had no idea what was growing there because it pretty much popped up, fried and died. In the front, we planted a handful of hastus around a tree late last spring. What was funny was that as we were digging, we'd encounter bulbs. We ended up spreading the bulbs around the tree evenly, and looky looky - I have crocuses and daffodils around my tree this spring! My hastus are popping up now, too! I had a panic attack last fall when the landscapers mowed them down - now I know they were SUPPOSED to :lol:

I have this "box" that is outside my dining room window and it's a bit of a sad sight lolol... There's a big shrub up front, and I discovered a 2 mangy shrubs growing vertically and one growing horizontally :nono: . The horizontal one and one of the mangy ones were pulled out by a landscaper when I asked him"is this normal?" and he replied, "it's ugly" HAHAHAHA! We are going to take the big shrub out and transplant it to a neighbor's yard (yay for not killing the shrub!). I'm so excited about starting from scratch with the little boxed in garden. I want one hydrangea plant a foot away from the window, a cute dwarf globe blue spruce in front of that, and liriope and blue oat grass as filler ground covering.

Being a newbie to plants, I went on wayside gardens' website and bought 5 different quart size hydrangea plants. Well, SURPRISE - it might take a few years before they're big enough to go in the spot up front! :lol: . Now I know I need to wait till the local nurseries put out 3-5 gallon hydrangea. BUT the baby quart size have homes - they will go in my backyard!

I am quite fond of round fluffy things, so I'm excited for the globe shaped blue spruce, the liriope, and the blue oat grass. Oh, and the hydrangea! The turn in weather to colder temps and the wait for the nurseries to break out the good stuff is KILLING ME!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie: Congratulations on your decision to become a child advocate, and best wishes as you start your training. One of my former colleagues was a child advocate in California for several years. He started after he retired from work, and continued until his wife retired and they moved out of state. Our offices are near The county and municipal courthouse, and he sometimes dropped into our offices on his way to a Child advocacy assignment. I know he found his volunteer role to be very satisfying. I hope you do as well!

Q

Queenie60

Thank you VRBeauty - I have my second training this evening and am very excited. Monday morning I will tour the court for several hours. I feel that I will enjoy this very much. I enjoy volunteer work very much and this is something that I will get much joy from doing. Look forward to getting my first assignment in early May - after my training is completed. :wavey:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pinto, I'm glad you're able to work on your yard now! Hostas are our absolute favorite and I'm always so happy to see them start to come back again. Be sure to post pics!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat said:
Pinto, I'm glad you're able to work on your yard now! Hostas are our absolute favorite and I'm always so happy to see them start to come back again. Be sure to post pics!
Some little things popping up around the tree. I'm hoping the temp drop and erratic temps don't affect the plants!

This blocky bush :lol: it must be a "suck life" bc all that was really growing back there besides a cluster of lillies to the left were the two mangy shrubs that got yanked out. There was a bit of ivy last year that I yanked because it was creeping under clapboards and along the concrete foundation. It's a cute bush but I can't grow anything with it there! It will be moved to my neighbors yard.
Big ol' bush

The big brown void behind the bush

_2919.jpeg

_2920.jpeg

_2921.jpeg

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TP, thanks for explaining how to integrate a new cat to the pet household. Glad to hear Suzie Q likes her new bowl and has been eating.

Queenie, how kind of you to become a Child Advocate. My friend was a guardian ad litem for several years (stopped for personal reasons) and found her relationships with her assigned children to be satisfying, and working with the court system and other professionals related to the children somewhat frustrating. It definitely takes patience. I wish and your future assigned children the best as you start your exciting journey.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you do when you hear kitty #1 downstairs yelling "lo lo yo yo" while opening a bi-food closet door? You calmly walk downstairs and reply, "yo yo NO NO" and close the closet door. :lol: :lol: :lol:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1460389981|4017943 said:
What do you do when you hear kitty #1 downstairs yelling "lo lo yo yo" while opening a bi-food closet door? You calmly walk downstairs and reply, "yo yo NO NO" and close the closet door. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Your kitty opening a door reminded me of something that happened years ago.

I was renting a one-storey home that backed onto conservation land; nothing back there except unlit fields and a creek. One night, I went into the bedroom at the back of the house and noticed the sliding closet door was open a bit. The room had a door to the backyard and so, naturally, I suspected that someone might have broken in and was hiding in the closet. I quietly left the room, got a baseball bat, returned and opened the door to confront the bad guy. Nothing but an empty closet. A thorough search of the house, revealed I was alone. Later, I heard a sound coming from the bedroom and discovered my cat pushing the closet door open with his paw. :rolleyes:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh december-fire! :lol: :lol: :lol: You searching the house with a bat was a wonderful visual. I'm imagining the cat getting it's kitty kicks watching you inspecting every inch of the house for any unsavory types in the house. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results