shape
carat
color
clarity

I just had a funny thought

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Size - everyone uses (well ladies do) that word to describe diamonds. But "size" in every other respect is measured in some length / width type parameter.

BUT - here it is - drum roll - Diamond size is measured in weight.

Now I have been racking my mind for a few minutes, and eggs are about the only other thing I can think of that we ''size'' in units of weight.

Can anyone think of other instamces?

How can we change this basic flaw in thinking and behaviour?

If we can it will do more to improve diamond cut quality than any other single thing!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Garry:
----------------
Can anyone think of other instances?
----------------
How about bottles of wine or vodka? All we care about is litres, not size or shape of the bottles!
2.gif

optimized

Shiny_Rock
I understand where you're coming from, but in reality all manner of food seems to come by weight (5lb. bag of sugar, fruits/vegetables by the pound, boxed cereals , etc.) Seems as though it's the "commodities" that are sold by weight. Uh oh, there's the evil "C" word again in a diamond discussion!
1.gif

-Tim

Iiro

Shiny_Rock
How big sugar is that? One kilo. (Doesnt sound ok)

How big diamond you have? One carat. (Sounds OK)

How big diamond is that? 6.14-6.17 mm diameter ( hmm..)

Garry, now is time to develop a new British measure for diamond size
1.gif

Something relative to apperance power. Lets assume a half carat stone ( Sorry , I meant 5 mm diameter) has apperance power of 47 and four grainer has 69. Eliminate all connetions to metric system or to other systems.
9.gif
9.gif
11.gif
wacko.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You have it Sibelius
1.gif

People say how big is that diamond, or that egg, and the answer is given in units of weight.

No one says that's a kilo of Vodka Leonid, unless they had too much of the stuff
1.gif

So the first part of problem solving is identifying the problem.
That is a BIG problem!!!

Now lets work to a solution, and we need lots of ladies in here because they all seem to think size size size.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it seems that the first question asked by any lady who looks at a diamond in the display case of our store is "How big is that?" We always respond in carats, color, clarity... As far as Leonid and his liters go, we have a friend from Russia and that's how she orders her vodka
6.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
No one says that's a kilo of Vodka Leonid, unless they had too much of the stuff
1.gif

----------------

I can say, however, how big is this bottle of vodka: 0.7 or 1 litre? You see, I’m talking about volume = weight, not actual length or diameter of the bottle.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Come on Leonid, get your mind off Vodka and back onto the subject at hand
appl.gif

But Did you know that alcohol weighs less than water?

Anyway my point still is that there is no =ve link between size and weight of a diamond.

The link is negative - smaler size with larger weight and poor light performance is the norm.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 3/1/2003 7:46:54 AM leonid wrote:

Garry:
----------------
Can anyone think of other instances?
----------------
How about bottles of wine or vodka? All we care about is litres, not size or shape of the bottles!
2.gif

----------------

DOH!!! ok ... Leonid ... we got your ticket now.
2.gif
Gary was RIGHT!
tongue.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gary ... it's funny you should call the ladies into the discussion. The obsession of woman with size runs down avenues some may not want to discuss here!
tongue.gif

My response of course is it's not the size of the diamond that matters, it's how you cut it.
naughty.gif

LOL!

Rhino

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Guys,

Ships size are measured in tons.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
1. Diamonds
2. Ships
3. Eggs

I do not think you could count a 1/4 punder big Mac, because it is not used as a measurement, it is used as a weight.

My major thrust (like that Rhino?) still stands (oho). The size of very few things is measured in wieght.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
loopy.gif
ROFLMAO

ociopia

Rough_Rock
Part of the "size" problem might be solved in the many "educational" areas that vendors have on their web sites, as well as those on the forums.

While carat is part of the 4 c's - I don't recall seeing a part of carat called (maybe something like) diamond size midunderstandings or How Big Is A Carat Really?

It first dawned on me about size when someone on a thread mentioned that a 1 carat diamond might be 6 mm but a 2 carat diamond was only 8 mm. I thought "hey - what?" Then I slowly started thinking about eggs (ha ha - not really but a good example). A small egg and a jumbo egg - in what way is the jumbo egg bigger? In EVERY way!

So let's say on your web sites, you put a 1 carat, 2 carat, 3 carat and 4 carat rb in one photo with a mm scale. Below each diamond put the mm dimensions. Then do the same with a princess. It won't take many of these examples for the other members of my fair sex to realize "size" is about "face-up" dimensions and not about carat!

Best,
wavey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results