clarity

I just got my test results for COVID-19

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Negative.
Yeah! :dance:

Now, if you want the long story ...

... and we just solved a medical mystery here.

My SO had the regular flu a couple weeks ago.
Dr. put him on Tamiflu and he recovered nicely.

About 2 weeks ago I got an ear infection, so Dr. put me on antibiotics.

A few days later I got violent food poisoning.
My digestive system emptied itself out completely (both ends) within a few minutes.
As I was rushing from bed to the bathroom I even fainted and fell to the floor while vomiting.
Next thing I knew my SO was holding my head up and turning it to the side to stop the choking as a kept barfing.
TMI, I know.

The combination of the food poisoning's digestive system purge and antibiotics apparently was a double-whammy that annihilated all the good bacteria in my gut.
After ruining two nice new pajama bottoms I wore diapers for a several days. :oops:
Lovely.

Suddenly last Friday evening I ran a fever of nearly 103.
Assuming I had a flu, I got tested Sat morning.
Knowing my age and medical condition, the Dr. swabbed me for both regular influenza and C19.
Regular flu came back negative in 15 minutes.
I just got the call informing me I'm negative for C19 too. Whew.
I'm just very surprised at my body's reaction to the food poisoning and antibiotics.

I'm back on the mend.
I just made a half gallon of yogurt, which I think has good bacteria the gut needs.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get well soon!

DK ;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm surprised the results came back in 3 days, especially considering it was over the weekend.

I was also surprised the Dr. gave me the C19 test.
I said, "I though the test was not available."
She said it is, but only for the highest-risk groups.

Those swabs they stick deep into your sinuses are VERY uncomfortable! :knockout:
Fortunately it was just a quick in and out.
I was worried they would grind it all around in there for a few minutes.:eek2:

I thought I was careful enough about judging when leftovers are safe.
Live and learn.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank goodness you are okay @kenny! I’m happy you were negative for Covid-19...

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm surprised the results came back in 3 days, especially considering it was over the week end.

I was also surprised the Dr. gave me the C19 test.
I said, "I though the test was not available."
She said it is, but only for the highest-risk groups.

Those swabs they stick deep into your sinuses are VERY uncomfortable! :knockout:
Fortunately it was just a quick in and out.
I was worried they would grind it all around in there for a few minutes.

I though I was careful enough about judging when leftovers are safe.
Live and learn.

@kenny What did you eat that gave you food poisoning? How long did you keep the leftovers? I’ve never had it but my son had a terrible case like you described when he was in college...

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Glad you are on the mend and don't have Covid19. It is a scary world now.

Yogurt does wonders for upset digestion.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@kenny Oh gosh I remember having a similar experience with food poisoning when I was about 20. I was a student nurse and and had obviously eaten something dodgy. I was so poorly and dehydrated I was hallucinating! :eek2: Get well soon!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Glad to hear you are feeling better and negative for C19. Must have been a very anxious time for you!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Glad you tested negative. Was this food poisoning from takeout or from food you prepared yourself?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Kenny! So glad you are ok and that your SO was there to help. You most likely would have aspirated your vomitus and that would not end well. Thankfully you don’t have COVID19. Take good care, both of you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad your test was negative.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you’re on the mend!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news Kenny and glad you are on the mend and do not have Covid 19!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... Was this food poisoning from takeout or from food you prepared yourself?

We do no takeout now, so it was home made food.
Though embarrassing, I'll confess.

We almost never buy good steak.
We splurged on some USDA PRIME super thick NY steaks from Costco.
We cooked it using a killer recipe using a cast iron skillet.
It was TDF.

If my good sense is lowered by enough wine, I could cram down the whole 1.2 lb steak at dinner, but because of the high cost we try to get a few meals out of it, omelets and stuff.

We just didn't put leftovers into the fridge soon enough.
The next day we discussed whether or not to eat it, and I knew it was risky, but who wants the throw away a 9 ct D IF CBI round that may kill you?
I ate some for lunch.
My SO dodged a bullet as he had already eaten something else for lunch.

My bad.
Live and learn.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
We do no takeout now, so it was home made food.
Though embarrassing, I'll confess.

We almost never buy good steak.
We splurged on some USDA PRIME super thick NY steaks from Costco.
We cooked it using a killer recipe using a cast iron skillet.
It was TDF.

If my good sense is lowered by enough wine, I could cram down the whole 1.2-lb steak at dinner, but because of the high cost we try to get a few meals out of it, omelets and stuff.

We just didn't put leftovers into the fridge soon enough.
The next day we discussed whether or not to eat it, and I knew it was risky, but who wants the throw away a 9 ct D IF CBI round that may kill you?
I ate some for lunch.
My SO dodged a bullet as he declined, since he had already eaten something else for lunch.

My bad.
Live and learn.

Steak sounds divine. Lesson learned, right? As the weather warms, you've got to remember to pack it up and refrigerate. Glad your SO dodged the bullet, and that you're on the mend with probiotics.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny Oh gosh I remember having a similar experience with food poisoning when I was about 20. I was a student nurse and and had obviously eaten something dodgy. I was so poorly and dehydrated I was hallucinating! :eek2: Get well soon!

So you know the charming experience. :cry2:

I also got it in my 20s, overseas in the military.
It was so severe I was hospitalized.
It took them forever to force a huge, I mean huge, needle into my arm to rehydrate me.

You think I would have learned my lesson.

Last edited:

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry you've been so ill, and glad you're on the mend. I'm what's called an "emetephobe", so your food poisoning event is sort of my nightmare scenario!

Aaaaaaaand now I'm going to be a Debby Downer. I'm glad you had a negative result on the C-19 test, but you need to know that in practice, medical personnel are finding that a negative result is only in the range of 50-75% percent accurate. Positive results are very accurate, but negative.....no. They're having a lot of cases where it's clear that clinically the patient has it, but one test result will come back negative, and then a later test, or one swabbed earlier that took longer to get results for, will come back positive. Meanwhile, other people/patients/health care workers got exposed because decisions were made on the basis of the one negative test. In hospitals, they are moving toward assumption of positive based on clinical signs and/or until TWO tests show negative.

I'm not telling you this to scare you, and I'm not trying to say you have it. I'm trying to say that at this point you don't know that you don't. This means you and your partner and anyone else you've had contact with need to operate on the assumption that you might, and operate accordingly. Watch how you're feeling very carefully, be ready to check in with your doctor and be sent to the hospital if you deteriorate, and both of you quarantine at home and avoid going out at all or having contact with anyone else until at least 14 days after the final day that either of you has any symptoms.

Hopefully that's all unnecessary, and you're fine. Hoping that's the case, and you'll be your strong, healthy self soon, as you're beloved here!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks OboeGal.
I appreciate any heads up and do/will take all precautions.

SO and I are 100% social isolating, even from family.
We do still go out to shop for necessities, but minimize even that shopping and take a zillion precautions.
Even before this pandemic SO and I were both very OCD (probably within the upper ten percentile) regarding practicing precautions related to public health.

BTW, when my Dr. told me my rapid-test was negative for Influenza she put me on Tamiflu anyway because she said the test had a low sensitivity, I did not get a flu shot this year :doh:, so I may still be positive.

What you say means this is also the case for C19.
Good to know.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, you scared me there! So glad it was negative.

I have had food poisoning before and believe me, it wipes you out! I remember having to crawl to the bathroom because I was so weak.
It was horrible.

I'm glad you're feeling better! Stay safe Kenny!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness. Your poor innards @kenny!!

VERY glad you're not covidic :appl:Hope that yoghurt does its job quickly and thoroughly!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
So glad you're feeling better Kenny!
Take good care and rest!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you are not positive and that you are O.K!!!!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kenny, I too am glad to hear that you are on the mend, and in my opinion, your SO did so right by you to hold your head and keep you from choking.

Get well and stay safe.

Wink

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny That's great news...:clap:. Now I can give you a BIG hug!..:lol:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good to hear you are on the mend take care of that gut, my mom got c-diff from taking double antibotics in error...dont wish that on anyone, glad the test came back negative, take care of yourself

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - you have been through quite the ordeal! Glad to hear that your test result was negative and that you are on the mend! Take care and stay safe!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Kenny
im so glad you are ok
Its strange times we live in to be happy its only food poisoning

Very fortunate your SO didn't get it also

take it easy

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Feel better soon K.
Good news dude.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you are well! The thought of the stick up the nose is terrifying enough for me to hope I don’t need the test!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad you're okay! It's weird, but my daughter and I got the whole ear infection, then antibiotics too. It sure has hung on. I'm sorry you went on to get food poisoning on top of that. My body did not react well to the antibiotic either! I'm also filling up on yogurt right now. Sheesh, you're so lucky you didn't crack your head when you fainted. Take care.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results