shape
carat
color
clarity

I just bought a stone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chrisk327

Rough_Rock
I''ll post more later on this, but I just came from GOG and bought a stone.
I live near GOG, so I scheduled an appointment after months of research just to "look". I ended up spending 2 hours with Jonathon and his sister.

I have to say they have one fantastic operation there. The people couldn''t be nicer. The information is endless. We went through all colors, SI and VS clarities and idealscope, brillantscope and H&A tests. I have to say there should be No other way to buy a stone. I love the internet and all... I love allthe info people provide.... but I have to say there is no substitute to going through it yourself. Looking at the actual stones through the differente scopes is fantastic.

The diamond I purchased I looked at on a whim. It was in his clearance section and per a normal grading report would be thrownout. He said it would rate an AGS 5.

Here are the numbers:
1.23 Cts
H color
VS2
Sym/Polish Gd/Gd
Total Depth - 58.3%
Table - 63.7%
Crown Angle - 30.9 degrees (30.0 - 32.6)
Pav Angle - 41.0 degrees (40.6 - 42.0)
Culet - 0.5%

HCA Score - 2.7 (VG/VG/G/Ex)

by the book (AGS''s book) its not a good stone, by our here analysis here with the numbers it could be a nice stone, but doesn''t have to be. Looking at it in person, seeing the brillancescope, idealscope and H&A viewer it is fantastic looking. I compared it to average diamonds and H&A''s. the H&A''s had slightly more sparkle, some H&A''s had less leakage, some had more. Obviously all H&A''s had better sym. But overall I thought this was a very nice stone. but the real good part was the price. $5500 for a visually GREAT 1.23 Ct H color VS2.

However, I have to say

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds great to me ... looks great to you ... what's your concern? Don't leave us in suspense :).

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice Shopping Chris....

You saved yourself in the upwards of $1000.00 for a cut which is still beautiful but not Top of the Line hearts and arrows. You shopped, looked around and compared, and in the end went with what your eyes told you according to the budget you had outlined for yourself...Kudos to You...
appl.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Chris...

I took the liberty of posting the B-Scope Results along with the Lightscope/Idealscope Image of your stone...

Nice B-scope and nice image which shows minimal leakage with a good mix of reds and blacks which provides good contrast...

Congrats Again...

example diag3.jpg

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
4.gif
Wow, great performance at a fantastic price! You can't beat that.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I remember this stone!!! Jonathan had it for a while in his regular inventory online, I was intrigued by this stone because it's similar to mine in terms of how it has a larger table, shallower depth and looks larger than it really is...mine is the same way. I was always intrigued by how this stone did on the Bscope and that the Ideal/Fire scope image seemed to look pretty good. No one ever bought it and I guess he moved it into the clearance section, but you got a great deal!! The price is excellent as well! We paid about $2k more for almost the same thing (darn!)--but of course I saw GOG's stone after we bought ours. It's hard to find stones like these shallow ones that still perform well even though AGS rates them non-ideal.
1.gif
Congrats and great eye!

BTW my stone scores 2.8 on the HCA but it scored 1.5 when we bought it. Garry made some changes afterwards, so your stone probably would have scored better as well back in Dec of 2002!
1.gif

Just as an FYI...my specs are as follows:

1.23c G VS1

7.12-7.18 x 4.08

Table: 61.4%

Depth: 56.9%

Crown A: 29.9

Pav A: 41.1

Girdle: Thin-Med

Sym: Good (on GIA report but appraiser gave it V.Good)

Pol: V. Good

Culet: None I think

HCA Score: 2.8

The diameter makes it look like a 1.34c stone...so thats just what I tell everyone it is
1.gif

Chrisk327

Rough_Rock
There are no reservations.. my message got a little cutoff. Don't remember what i was saying there. I just finnalized what setting I'm going for. Its gonna knock her socks off. She won't be expecting something that big, I certianly wasn't. Honestly I was happy with the .921 that Jonothan has on his site. Its basically perfect, Very very clean VS2 great performance on everything, looked essentially like a 1ct stone and a great price... but after I saw this one I couldn't pass it up it was too good a deal on too nice a stone.

Setting will be platnium with two rounds on each side the closer ones a bit larger than the further ones. very very nice and very very great store. I can't recommend them enough. Well we always have to wait to see the ring... but through this point, very satisfied.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How exciting Chris...Post Pic's and keep us updated...
appl.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey ChrisK!!!

Wow... that was fast!
1.gif

What is funny is literally just a moment ago my curiousity was getting the best of me to run an Isee2 analysis on that stone and it got great scores in brilliance & scintillation and obviously taking the hit in symmetry. Drop me an email and I'll send you the results.

That diamond was a lil cherry sitting in our inventory that really had to be seen to be appreciated. And the SPREAD.... You can put that rock next to stones of 1.3xct and it'll look just as large.
1.gif

It was our pleasure to be of service Chris and I'll make sure to pass your kind words to my sister Amy. We really like to keep it fun and the tools, lab equipment, etc. really make for a great hands on experience.

Warm regards,

Rhino

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Bet that puppy seems much larger for the carat weight. Great job!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
WooooHooooo! WTG Chris! That rock sounds like a great balance of knowledge, budget, and your eye!
3.gif

Can't wait to see pics of the ring and hear details of the proposal!
love.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, now that had to have been too much fun handling all of those goodies...I am quite jealous! I was always dying to get out to Rhino's shop, but got laid off before I could go visit the Mother corp on Long Island that bought us out. Oh, well, I love my stone, it's just so much more of a fun process to compare bunches of them together. For me, it's always been the journey, not the destination.
10.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
What a beauty! Once again, a diamond doesn't have to be ideal to be great looking! Very well done!
1.gif
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results