shape
carat
color
clarity

I have the smallest diamond out of all my friends.

jacy

Shiny_Rock
Girly, it's very possible that your friends are staring at your gorgeous AVC diamond and wondering why it performs better than their larger RB! They could also be in awe of the unique cut and beautiful faceting of the AVC. Unless your friends are coming straight out and saying anything judgemental, you could be misinterpreting what they are really thinking. Real friends shouldn't be judgemental about something like this to begin with. You truly have a beautiful stone that is in a lovely, elegant setting. What really matters is that YOU are "over the moon" and happy with your diamond. Like other posters suggest, you can add more diamonds with a band and get more finger coverage that way. Your ring is so beautiful! Enjoy!

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
I am so happy you posted because I also want an AVC in the 3/4 carat range and I have searched this forum and seems like the pics here are all over 1 ct. I have size 5 fingers but they are short not long and slender. Anyway, I am even considering going a little smaller because I want a halo setting. The thing that worries me the most are the AVCs in my size and budget are SI1 and SI2s and I worry about the clarity. PS/AVC experts - should I be concerned with SI1/SI2 with the AVC?

GirlyGirl

Shiny_Rock
rubybeth|1342206949|3233426 said:
"Comparison is the thief of joy." Also, another one I really like and have pinned to my office bulletin board is, "The more you love your decisions, the less you need others to love them.".

So true! I am comparing solely on size, not on cut quality. I'd rather have a smaller piece of perfection than a sloppy mush of mediocrity.

I did choose this stone for a reason. I thought it represented me very well. I could have gotten a 2 ct AVC but I'd have to have traded a fancy honeymoon in Italy. I think this stone says that I appreciate quality and I like having extra money to do other things too.

Thanks everyone for reminding me.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like every now and then, we all need a reminder of why we did what we did/chose what we chose. Glad you feel much better about your ring! It is BEAUTIFUL on you --- and you had an amazing honeymoon to Italy! Maybe the bigger diamond girls will never get to Europe - you have a diamond AND memories!! :appl: :appl:

GirlyGirl

Shiny_Rock
Enerchi|1342271836|3233767 said:
Hoping posting this works....

Here is an August Vintage 5 stone band from the GOG Website:
http://goodoldgold.com/images/August%20Vintage%20Jewelry/August%20Vintage%205%20stone%20ring%20collage.jpg (did it show up??)

I'm thinking this would put DSS on hold for quite a while!!! What an amazing WB any of these would make - or a 7 stone or an 8... (I chose an 8 stone because the number "8" is supposed to help with decision making... hahahaha!! I have such trouble with that...!) Have a chat with Jonathan and see what they could create for you in the cushions. Put a .75mm spacer inbetween and you will now be the talk of your social circle!! "WOW - did you see Girlygirl's ring?? I'm SOOOO jealous" :twisted: Yup - that's the impact you are looking for!!!

Torture! You are killing me.

august_vintage_5_stone_ring_collage.jpg

GirlyGirl

Shiny_Rock
UberClaire|1342224338|3233543 said:
Those videos are amazing! Thank you! Great setting too -- is that one of the Vatche settings? It looks so much like the Vatche Corsica, but without double prongs. I wish I had small fingers like yours -- I'm a 7.5 on my left hand, 8 on my right.

It is the Vatché Caroline (dvatche 187). I am happy the videos could help. If you get an AVC, you will not regret it. As you live in the Midwest in an area far away from jewelry stores, an AVC would be truly unique.

GirlyGirl

Shiny_Rock
mandasand|1342370337|3234326 said:
I am so happy you posted because I also want an AVC in the 3/4 carat range and I have searched this forum and seems like the pics here are all over 1 ct. I have size 5 fingers but they are short not long and slender. Anyway, I am even considering going a little smaller because I want a halo setting. The thing that worries me the most are the AVCs in my size and budget are SI1 and SI2s and I worry about the clarity. PS/AVC experts - should I be concerned with SI1/SI2 with the AVC?

You are very welcome!

GOG could tell you if the stones are eyeclean. Specify what you mean by eyeclean. For me, it means that I can't see any inclusions with the naked eye 6 inches away, from both the side of the crown and top, as these are the areas visible when set.

To tell you the truth, I am hard pressed to find any inclusions with my 10x loupe on my VS2. In fact, I am still trying to find a feather. I know exactly where it is from the plot but can not see it at all.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I can sympathize with you. Not because of size, because I'm somewhere in the middle of my group of friends when it comes to diamond size, and I'm 100% happy with my 1ct princess and how it looks on my finger. In fact, I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing much bigger. However, I'm in a similar situation when it comes to diamond color. All my friends have E/F/G colored stones, and I have an I. We specifically bought the I to save money and because I'm not very color-sensitive, but as I've compared diamonds over time and become more color-sensitive, I've been bothered by the color from the pavilion view. And it's hard not to compare to my friends' stones and feel like I'm making excuses for why the color is so far down the scale compared to theirs. When I get into that mindset, I remind myself how we picked out this stone together for the cut, and the color was just what we had to sacrifice to get a 1ct stone with a stunning cut.

You could certainly consider upgrading to a larger stone or resetting the stone into a halo or 3-stone setting, although I think the proportions of the stone on your finger are perfect.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Another thing I want to mention, I've experienced the opposite....for a long while my original e-ring was much larger than everyone elses and it was actually very uncomfortable at times, and I actually wished at those times I had a smaller diamond.

When DH and I got engaged, I was in college (age 21) and DH was 26. So, he had graduated a few years before and was making a bit more money than my friends SO's. I was given a 1ct solitaire, and all of my other friends had .5ct or smaller. A few of the guys actually apologized to my friends for not being able to afford a diamond as large as mine. So that made me feel horrible because I knew those guys probably felt bad that their gals diamonds weren't my size.

I was an EMT in high school and all through college. Our college ambulance service had a banquet every year and all the seniors were acknowledged for something funny, offbeat, they said, etc and they were always funny. I couldn't wait to see what they chose for me! Well, they focused on the size of my diamond!!!! I was sooooo disappointed, and so was DH! I was very active in the ambulance and had many funny moments (on and off calls) so I was hoping they would remember one of those, but nope. It was my diamond. :(

So, having the largest/one of the largest in your group is not necessarily a good thing. Even now, I live in an area where a 1ct is huge. I haven't worn it since I got my 5 stone 4 years ago...I was tired of all the "your diamond is HUGE" comments.

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
:love: I love everything about your ring! The size is perfect (by no means small), the cut is stunning, and the setting is simply gorgeous!!! Enjoy it and this time of your life! :D

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
Right now, I have my eye on a .66 AVC,I SI1. I would prefer if it was a VS1/2 H, but I doubt there is a difference between H/I. I think the lower color will be fine, since the AVC seems to be okay with a little more warmth.

GOG said the stone is eye clean, compared to the larger SI2's I was looking at (.83 H SI2 and .92 K SI2). Those are NOT eye clean. GOG has recommend the smaller stone. I am still so worried that it will be too small.

Settings are a whole other issue for me. I originally really wanted a Gabriel setting that I tried on a few months ago. But, I also like the Tacori 2620 (which is out of the budget). I love the Tiffany Legacy, but I'm having a hard time finding a cushion halo with a bezel. ERD has the Heather but it's $2800 just for the setting (which is more than the stone). These are the two settings I'm considering:
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7527W44JJ
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER6989W44JJ

I have been looking and changing my mind for about 8 months now. Maybe that's why my BF hasn't pulled the trigger...I'm just too indecisive!

GMUAlum08

Shiny_Rock
i might be wrong, but nowhere in the OP does it say that her friends have actually made comments or been obvious about judging her ring. these are all just perceived feelings by the OP. her ring is very nice but i pick up a vibe that she actually wants a bigger stone and is insecure about her ring when she's around her friends even if her friends have never made any comments or gestures about the size of her ring.

my advice to you is to accept the ring for what it is and not worry about what your friends may think about your stone or go get a bigger stone that you really want so you won't feel insecure about the size of your stone

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
mandasand|1343231873|3239743 said:
GOG said the stone is eye clean, compared to the larger SI2's I was looking at (.83 H SI2 and .92 K SI2). Those are NOT eye clean. GOG has recommend the smaller stone. I am still so worried that it will be too small.

......and the 0.83 H SI2 is gone. I really hope GOG gets some more AVCs in soon -- it seems like they've been pretty cleared out lately. No, I'm not a GOG AVC stalker or anything..... ;-)

GirlyGirl

Shiny_Rock
UberClaire|1343254624|3240047 said:
......and the 0.83 H SI2 is gone. I really hope GOG gets some more AVCs in soon -- it seems like they've been pretty cleared out lately. No, I'm not a GOG AVC stalker or anything..... ;-)

I am currently stalking this .76 I VS1. It is my stone's twin. Because I separated them, I want it to find a loving home.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9344/

GirlyGirl

Shiny_Rock
GMUAlum08|1343233951|3239763 said:
her ring is very nice but i pick up a vibe that she actually wants a bigger stone and is insecure about her ring when she's around her friends even if her friends have never made any comments or gestures about the size of her ring.

I do get size envy.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
Girly-your twin is also on my list!!

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
GOG is doing a Legacy replica too but I don't know how much!!

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
GOG can't get me a Legacy style setting for a .66 stone. They suggested a Bev K setting but the stone sits WAY too high for my taste and it looks nothing like the Legacy. Anyway, I'm waiting to get a quote for the .66 with the Gabriel 7527 (because I already fell in love with that setting). I guess the stock setting accommodates a 1 ct. But, I'm positive Gabriel can make the ring per the diamond dims and in my exact ring size, so it is a semi-custom ring!!

I am actually pretty surprised how limited my setting options are if I go with the smaller stone. It's sad, really. Not everyone wants a 1+ ct. I wonder why manufacturers do that?

After all this, how much you want to bet the BF will want to up the budget so I can get the bigger AVC (your twin)? Wouldn't that be grand?

GirlyGirl

Shiny_Rock
mandasand|1343340262|3240836 said:
After all this, how much you want to bet the BF will want to up the budget so I can get the bigger AVC (your twin)? Wouldn't that be grand?

Could you get a bigger stone in a simple solitaire, then upgrade the setting later?

This Beverly K can accommodate all the way to .25. It's about $1350.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-here-art-deco-bev-k-ring-princess-of-hearts-from-gog.175328/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-here-art-deco-bev-k-ring-princess-of-hearts-from-gog.175328/[/URL]

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
More AVCs listed today, but nothing that is really in my price/size range.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
I'll take the 5 ct...it's only $130k!!

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
My .66 is gone....I'm crying! I was working with GOG on the setting and they were waiting to hear back from the manufacturer and when we went online yesterday to make a final decision on the stone, it was gone. I guess it wasn't meant to be! Maybe I should reconsider the twin or just wait until they get more inventory. I have setting paralysis. BF and I talked last night about maybe getting a "gasp" simple setting until I decide what I really want. I may need to start yet another thread about settings.

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
mandasand|1343491599|3242029 said:
My .66 is gone....I'm crying! I was working with GOG on the setting and they were waiting to hear back from the manufacturer and when we went online yesterday to make a final decision on the stone, it was gone. I guess it wasn't meant to be! Maybe I should reconsider the twin or just wait until they get more inventory. I have setting paralysis. BF and I talked last night about maybe getting a "gasp" simple setting until I decide what I really want. I may need to start yet another thread about settings.

Mandasand, have you thought about this one? http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9492/
It's my favorite on what is left on the site.

GirlyGirl

Shiny_Rock
mandasand|1343491599|3242029 said:

I'm really bummed for you. If you get a simple inexpensive setting, you can get a bigger rock now!

Save up for a setting and buy one in the next year or two. I am saving up for one right now. I have a diamond pendant that I wish to turn into ring, and it's going to cost about 2,000. Argh. And I am getting setting paralysis too.

onadream

Rough_Rock
I understand what you mean. It's easy to feel like your diamond is tiny when you compare it with other large, shiny rocks! Honestly it's beautiful, though, and I don't think your carat size would generally be considered small. I have a 0.67ct asscher diamond - it's a modest size and certainly not comparable to other ones you might see, but I have tiny fingers so in my opinion it's the perfect size for me. We had to work with a pretty modest budget, too. Your ring size is quite petite, so that probably helps. It looks great on your hand!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results