carat
color
clarity

I have a stupid question.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
One that might even get me banned from PS for asking it, but here goes:

What kind of stone do I have?
I think I can call it an antique cushion.
The GIA cert says it's an Old Mine Brilliant.
But what is it, really? Is it an Old Mine Cut? An Old Mine Cushion? An antique cushion?
And what are the distinctions between all of these cuts, anyway?

Please don't take away my PS membership card for asking this. 8)
The more I look at old stones, the more confused I become. Some of these names seem to be interchangeable based on threads, but I'm not certain and it's driving me batty!
IMG_1438.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. So as I understand it all Old Mine Brilliants are Antique Cushions. But not All Antique Cushions are Old mine brilliants.

Let's see if I'm anywhere near right. Probably not, but I thought I'd shoot my mouth off anyway.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sounds right Gypsy, because the Old World Diamonds site lists OMBs and antique cushions separately, which is one reason that my eyes are rolling around in my head and I no longer know what to call my stone. :cheeky:

Thank you for shooting your mouth off, I really appreciate the info! ;))

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I "think" you have an old mine cut in appraiser/grading report terminology, but we call those "cushions" on PS because of the non-round shape -- ???? -- I'm not sure about that, though (see, you're not the only one!). Whatever it's called, it's beee-u-ti-ful!

But, if I remember right, Uppy started a thread a while back that talked about the different old cuts on this in the Timeless Classics (now Vintage and Antique Jewelry) forum. I'll see if I can find it.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I zoomed in on a shot of the diamond, in case that helps. I can't get a better shot without it getting even fuzzier. Sorry.
UpgradeUpClose.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Lula! Okay, now I don't feel as sheepish about being confused, here. I'm off to search the antique jewelry forum . . .

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1304470895|2911664 said:
That sounds right Gypsy, because the Old World Diamonds site lists OMBs and antique cushions separately, which is one reason that my eyes are rolling around in my head and I no longer know what to call my stone. :cheeky:

As I'm sure you know, I'm happy to shoot my mouth off at anytime. :D

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure. I know a lot more about diamonds than most people off PS, but I am FAR from an expert when it comes to PS standards. I do know that I have an AVC (which I would consider to be an antique cushion...right?) and its GIA cert calls it an Old Mine Brilliant.

I'm interested to see the replies!

ETA: I didn't say that quite right. By antique cushion, I mean it's chunky in antique style. Not that it's actually antique.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
well I think you have a gorgeous stone :)
I am also confused as to old mine brilliant/antique cushion/etc. I think GIA gives 'old mine brilliant' to cushion brilliant with high crown?

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm confused on this, too! My stone was sold as an "antique cushion" and the GIA report also lists it as an Old Mine Brilliant.

It leaves me super confused.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
What kind of stone do you have??? A GORGEOUS stone :loopy:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1304474303|2911730 said:
What kind of stone do you have??? A GORGEOUS stone :loopy:
:bigsmile:

Thank you, Amy!

My stone's GIA cert calls it an Old Mine Brilliant, but it seems like that is not a term that's used outside of GIA, is that right?

I found this thread in RT, it has some great information:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-omb-education.62868/?hilit=designation cushion

Sounds like my stone might be an old mine cut? I must admit I'm still confused. After all these years on PS, you'd think I'd be able to figure this one out. I do feel good to know I'm not alone!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1304471770|2911684 said:
Haven|1304470895|2911664 said:
As I'm sure you know, I'm happy to shoot my mouth off at anytime. :D
As am I, friend, as am I. :bigsmile:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now that I see I'm not the only one with an identity issue, it makes me think that perhaps we need a support group!
The Wandering Cushions?
Nameless But Beautiful?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is an Old Mine Cut which is a type of antique cushion. An Old European Cut is an antique round.

Of course, I could be wrong, but this is what I think!!!

ZahraLeyla

Shiny_Rock
I have (or will soon have - just need to organise the shipping with JbEG!) a GIA graded Old Mine Brilliant. JbEG listed the diamond as an Old Mine Cut. I trust Grace and Erica's expertise in this area, so I'm happy to refer to my stone as an OMC.

I think that antique cushion is mostly used these days not as a term of art, but rather to describe a diamond that is cut in a cushion shape with chunky facets.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've always wondered what the difference between antique stones is. OMC, OEC...
I love them but I don't know much about them, unfortunately. I DO know they're gorgeous though.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I think I would call it an OMC, just based on my limited experience with antique stones. The facets look old-school to me, and not something I would call "brilliant" like in more modern stones. And OMC is basically cushion shaped, so I would go by the facets over shape.

Not sure if you can tell, but does it look like an exact cushion shape? Or is it a little funky? Often OMCs aren't perfect and might have one side slightly longer or rounder than another.

Did the jeweler have any idea of age?

eta: I haven't been around much and missed your SMTB thread, but I have to say that stone is GORGEOUS. I'm in love! And the setting is not what I expected at all, but I loved it at first sight. It really complements the stone.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Your stone is absolutely beautiful.....the terminology is very confusing to me too.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I'd call it an OMC. I don't recall what my stone is listed as on the GIA cert...I think it's Old Miner, or something.

Elro, I always thought that too, about OMCs, that they had wonky corners. Mine doesn't though! It's perfectly rectangular, which I LOVE!

Haven, gorg stone ya got there! :love:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info and input, everyone!

Elro--It is a bit wonky in that it isn't perfectly symmetrical. One of the corners is pulled in a bit more than the others, if that makes sense--it's a more gradual curve, I mean. My jeweler bought the stone from a woman in her thirties who said it had been in her family for close to a hundred years, I believe, so it's at least from the early 1900s? Maybe? It sounds like OMC, it is!

I went back and read through CCL's cushion guide, which is wonderful, but for some reason I still have a hard time translating all of that information into actually knowing what to call real stones. I'm hopeless!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I say it's an OMC. OMC are the predecessor of round brilliant so (from what I understand) that's the defining factor between antique cushion (always meant to be cushion) and OMC (cushion shaped with all the basics of a round, ie: facet, pavillion)

If I'm dead wrong, I sound pretty smart, huh?

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I use Antique Cushion as a general term for an old cut diamond that has a cushion shaped outline. There is so much discrepancy among old cut terms that you can certainly adopt a "what's in a name?" attitude. I use old cut for actual antique or vintage diamonds in alternative shapes like marquise or pear, though some will call an old cut marquise and Old Mine Cut.(ha) I believe GIA deems Old Mine Brilliants as a deviation from the Cushion Brilliant that must have a table size of 53% or less, slightly large to large culet facet, and a steep crown of 40 degrees or more. (with shorter (chunky) lower girdle facets) Not everyone agrees with GIA's classification-old cuts are tricky to pin. There are some that loathe the term "transitional," for example, but plenty of folks here embrace it. I do, as it is a good general descriptor for diamonds approaching modern round brilliants.

GIA has classified your stone as an Old Mine Brilliant, so you can certainly call it that. You could also call it an Antique Cushion. You could also call it an Old Mine Cut. Does that help? :devil: :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results