shape
carat
color
clarity

i have a specific look

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

biblobaggins23

Shiny_Rock
some of these diamonds i see REALLY sparkle when taken outside in the natural light. is this the flash or the brilliance of the diamond? what do i look for in a diamond if i want it to sparkle outside in the natural light w/o the flash? can someone help me get a good diamond that has tons of fire at a low, low price and one that is well cut? i''m overwhelmed by the choices right now. the images i have seen here on this board from excel are beyond gorgeous. i didn''t by my e-ring i was given and i am trying to figure out what kind of earrings i want....today i''m leaning towards the diamond studs. i tried numerous diamond tutorials and i''m still confused. can you give me specific advice to look for when buying one online that will give me what i want? i just don''t want it to look cloudy and white. right now i am looking at exceldiamonds.com and would like a diamond anywhere from 0.75-0.85 each. i''m trying to avoid tiffanys! lol!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
''sparkly'' in strong light is usually flash from the facets (mainly the table). in diamonds that aren''t well cut, this is the only type of sparkle they really have.
8.gif
if you want to get a stone that really performs well and dances with light from the inside, you need to look for well cut stones. the best place to start your search is here http://www.pricescope.com/sift.aspx

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
fire - colored light
brilliance - white light

Both can scintillate(on/off pattern as the diamond is moved) which is what a lot of people call sparkle.

In sunlight it will be some of both which is what a lot of people have a hard time understanding.
A diamond tuned for brilliance over fire or fire over brilliance can be returning the exact same amount of light but in different ways.

I prefer a slight balance of brilliance over fire which comes with good angles and longer lgf% in the high 77 to 80 range.
It will tend to have smaller but more flashes of fire than a shorter lgf% stone all else being equal.

Sunlight is one of the easiest lighting conditions for diamonds of poor cut to look good in.
Compact fluorescent on the other hand make it hard for any diamond to look its best.
This is where having nice looking contrast patterns (arrows in a round) comes into play.
Enough without too much is best and that varies person to person.
To me shorter lgf% diamonds fail that test with too much darkness.

edit: Id also go for a stone with min to no painting. for more info on that watch Johns presentation tonight on it

biblobaggins23

Shiny_Rock
okay, what is %lgf and when is his presentation and where can i view it? thanks!

any idea why supcert ideal round h&A brilliant cuts .70-.78ct cost more than H&A ideals of the same carat weight??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results