shape
carat
color
clarity

I have a new full-time job!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2007 12:16:48 AM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 12/2/2007 12:02:02 AM
Author: lienTN

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for your reply. I''m sorry I wasn''t being clear. It is for a job in public accounting (without disclosing too much infor about this specific one). Actually, I know that industry pays higher and that would be my preference if I could get a job there. I''ve thought about talking directly to my prospective bosses and have actually mentioned to the RC that I ''could'' talk to them but haven''t heard back from either. The thing is though throughout the interviews, they asked me if money was my main priority and I said no, which is true. But I wouldn''t want to feel resentful if I started on a salary that is SO much lower than market and my prospective peer (the other Director they currently have). The other thing I feel is that they''ve already started to low-ball me (knowing very well that my range X-Y was already below market), so what else would they low-ball me or bully me (for lack of a better word) about once I''d started work? Would I have to spend my time fighting for every little thing I''d want? On the other hand though, this IS a good opportunity and a step up the career ladder, looking at it from a non-monetary point of view.
Gosh, Lien I would talk to them and ditto to Becon''s post. I know I have done the same as you in the past and it helped me; plus that industry is hot right now.
Thank you so much again. Yes, I should remember that the market is tight right now and I don''t have much to lose.

It''s also good to know that you''ve done the same thing. Presumably you must have got what you wanted, more or less (?).

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck Lien; I am sure you guys will figure out something fair for both of you!!!
9.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beacon and Skippy,

I've just had my screen-name changed!!
1.gif

I've thought about what you've said a lot and I think I am going to do it. However, in the meantime, I've also been talking to DH who's pointed out that I shouldn't obsess about the salary offered being much much lower than what it should be given my experience. He says that whilst it's true that I have a lot of experience, I am at a disadvantage compared to other prospective candidates precisely because of the fact I've been out of the profession for the last five years. That i've been working on a project basis has helped me to retain my technical competence but surely I've been left behind in some areas, like Sarbanes-Oxley. Also, I've not been dealing with very large clients on very large projects and leading teams of 10-20 staff; and I would need some practice before I fully get back into it; and this last point is true both from the point of view of sales/ marketing as well as from the technical/ running the audit point of view. He also says that I need to make a choice: if it is just money, then I'd better off continue doing what i've been doing last few years; however, if I want to get my career back on track, then some sacrifice has to to be made. DH also points out that the fact that they still want me despite my having been "away" for the past five years speaks volumn about how much they like me, but I shouldn't be such a hard-nose about it. He added that my perception of what's "market" maybe skewed because it includes internal audit jobs in investment banks and we all know how those pay (they're actually the top payers).

So, what I'm going to do is this: I am going to try and negotiate (I HAVE to at least try) but I am not going to insist on getting what I want, monetarily. I need to see how my prospective boss reacts first and see how to go from there. I think I may need to give a little if I am serious about getting back into the profession.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I''ve sorted everything out with my employer and we''ve reached a common ground, one that i am fairly happy with. Anyway, I KNOW that I will get that 4-5 months'' bonus and my total package would then be the highest earned income I''ll ever have got; AND I will get my pay rise comes July. I''ve already started my networking and I think (hope) I have my first client - one with a pretty hefty fee - so that will keep my boss happy for a while!!
36.gif

Thank you all for your congrats and sound advice.
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2007 11:20:53 AM
Author: Phoenix
Well, I''ve sorted everything out with my employer and we''ve reached a common ground, one that i am fairly happy with. Anyway, I KNOW that I will get that 4-5 months'' bonus and my total package would then be the highest earned income I''ll ever have got; AND I will get my pay rise comes July. I''ve already started my networking and I think (hope) I have my first client - one with a pretty hefty fee - so that will keep my boss happy for a while!!
36.gif

Thank you all for your congrats and sound advice.
1.gif
runaround1.gif
Great Lien!!! I am glad it worked out! Don''t forget your PS buddy''s from time to time
2.gif

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
Lien - Congratulations! This sounds like a great opportunity.

Good for you for negotiating with your new employer. I think that your employer should respect you for standing up for what you want, and not being afraid to ask for it. If you will bring in new clients, I would assume that you would be negotiating with them also, therefore I think it is good to show your new employer that you can negotiate.

Best of Luck on this exciting venture!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Glad things worked out, PHX. Good luck landing some big clients and getting your raises, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results