shape
carat
color
clarity

I have a new full-time job!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...as Director of Internal Audit!!! Yay!!
36.gif

So after having worked on a project basis for the last few years, I've finally decided to go back to work full-time, especially since my mom passed away (she was one of the main reasons I quit my previous FT job - so I could spend time with her). I interviewed with the recruitment consultant beginning of last week. Was interviewed by my prospective bosses last week and this week. Today I met with one of them again, had a very open and frank discussion and was offered the job verbally on the spot!! I of course accepted!!
9.gif

The written offer will be sent to me next week.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s great Lien! I hope you enjoy your new position very much!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Yay! Congrats!!! It''s a good week for jobs on PS!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! How exciting!!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, DJ, Robbie and Lumpkin.

I am definitely looking forward to going back to work FT. I really clicked with my direct boss (it's so funny to say that again after having worked freelance) and have huge respect for him. Well, for both of them really. It's going to be tough but I am not worried. The main thing is I think I am really going to enjoy working there.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!! How exciting
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well done Lien!!!
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats Lien!!!!! Best wishes to you in your new position!!!
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How wonderful! Congratulations, Lien.
36.gif

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! When do you start your new job?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats!
36.gif
More money = more bling. Now get busy shoppin'' and takin pics!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats, Lien! Sounds like an amazing opportunity for you!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
WAY to go lien!!
36.gif

And such a good point Tgal made....
grins-xmas.gif

Congrats!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, Lien!!! I hope you enjoy your new job very much!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
How exciting -- congratulations, Lien!
36.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your new FT position, LienTN!!! I''m very happy for you, best wishes on walking through the new door life has opened to you!
36.gif
35.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! I hope you love your new job!

loser.gif
L''s for love.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
LienTN, that sounds fantastic. I''m so happy for you!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations lien! I hope you love your new job!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! *throws confetti everywhere*

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Well done! Good for you!
36.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
yey!!!! That''s great.

Celebratory Bling?
11.gif

LOL!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2007 4:33:07 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Congrats!
36.gif
More money = more bling. Now get busy shoppin'' and takin pics!

I like the way you think
31.gif
Hehehehehe

Congrats :) a new job is like a holiday :)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all so much for your kind words.

I am a bit bummed out though. I had a conversation with the recruitment consultant yesterday and apparently there's been a misunderstanding regarding the compensation. When I was intially interviewed with the RC, they asked what was my expected salary and I stated a range X-Y. I added that with my extensive experience in auditing (15years), I knew that market was higher but because I've been out of full time work (albeit doing my freelance work in the same or similar areas), I was taking my expectations down a notch. I also specified that X-Y was before bonuses, ie. it was the base.

When I was interviewed by my prospective employer, the same questions were asked and the same replies were given, except that I didn't clearly state that the range was before bonuses. I kind of kicked myself after the interview but thought I'd be ok since I'd already told the RC and surely they would communicate with the employer.

Now, on Thursday when the verbal offer was made to me, the salary was stated at X, which is at the lower end of my range. I was slightly surprised and a bit disappointed, but since it is within my expected price range, I couldn't very well complain, could I?

Then, yesterday the RC told me that X was supposed to be inclusive of bonuses of 2 months. This means that the base would take me back to the same salary I was making as Senior Mgr at my last FT job five years ago (in absolute dollar terms and if inflation was to be taken into account, then in real terms it is lower than what I was earning back then). It is also much lower than what I made last year and the year before on a project basis. I asked the RC to negotiate on my behalf and they came back saying whilst the employer was not willing to offer me more off-the-bat, there would however be a salary review in mid-next year and that my salary should go up by $1k a month and if I were to perform really well (meaning if I succeeded in brining in new clients, ie. extra revenue as well as keeping existing clients happy), then the bonuses could go up to as much as 5 months. Whilst I'm confident that I would perform well and bring in extra clients etc., there's no guarantee that they would keep their word. I know two friends who have been screwed on the money front as well as on the promotion front, despite their employers' initial promises. What's more, I know that I would have to work like a dog (pardon the phrase), meaning 10-12 hours everyday on average and would probably have to work weekends more often than not. What I am saying is that I wouldn't mind that, I know what I would be getting myself into, but I wouldn't want to feel that i were being punished monetarily despite putting in all the hard work. I am sure that the other Director that's already there is making much more than this. I think their reasoning for making this low offer is because they think I am desperate to get back into the profession and into FT work.

On the other hand though, I am keen (not desperate but keen) to get back to work FT. I've been out of the FT world for 5 years now and whilst the money is good working on a project basis (and I have plenty of free time to do all sorts of things, like going to the gym, managing our investment portfolio and making good money off that and not to mention having time to chat with other PS'ers! etc.), I think maybe it's time to get my career back on track. And it IS a good promotion (from Sr Mgr to Director, skipping Assoc. Dir altogether). I could also use this to spring-board onto other positions either within the same organisation or another org altogether. Who knows, maybe my bosses would keep their word and give me the pay rise in six months time and the 5 months' bonus after all?

Another problem that I forsee if I accepted this in writing is that the next time I go for another job interview, they'd ask me what was my last drawn salary and that low base salary would determine my future salaries forever.

So, what do I do? Accept this or keep looking? I suppose theoretically, I could accept it and continue looking whilst in the job but I know that i) I wouldn't have the time to look once I'd started and ii) I would want to apply myself 1000% on the new job and not be distracted.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have any advice, or thoughts?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2007 11:37:27 PM
Author: lienTN
Lien, can you talk to the company who is hiring you about your salary? Sometimes if you go directly to them and tell them what you want it may help. I would research what other similar positions are paying; the outside recruiter should tell you that info. I have a few friends that went into internal auditing like you are saying but they weren't making as much money as public accounting; I don't know if it is different in the US?? I would just talk to the person that would be your boss and tell them what you want to be paid; the worst they can do is say no.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/1/2007 11:49:47 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 12/1/2007 11:37:27 PM
Lien, can you talk to the company who is hiring you about your salary? Sometimes if you go directly to them and tell them what you want it may help. I guess I am confused; is this like your old company? I have a few friends that went into internal auditing like you are saying but they weren''t making as much money as public accounting; I don''t know if it is different in the US?? I would just talk to the person that would be your boss and tell them what you want to be paid; the worst they can do is say no.
Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for your reply. I''m sorry I wasn''t being clear. It is for a job in public accounting (without disclosing too much infor about this specific one). Actually, I know that industry pays higher and that would be my preference if I could get a job there. I''ve thought about talking directly to my prospective bosses and have actually mentioned to the RC that I "could" talk to them but haven''t heard back from either. The thing is though throughout the interviews, they asked me if money was my main priority and I said no, which is true. But I wouldn''t want to feel resentful if I started on a salary that is SO much lower than market and my prospective peer (the other Director they currently have). The other thing I feel is that they''ve already started to low-ball me (knowing very well that my range X-Y was already below market), so what else would they low-ball me or bully me (for lack of a better word) about once I''d started work? Would I have to spend my time fighting for every little thing I''d want? On the other hand though, this IS a good opportunity and a step up the career ladder, looking at it from a non-monetary point of view.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I would say renegotiate. If you are going to work so many hours and so hard you should be paid the range you expect, especially as the range you gave them is low to allow for the time you have had off work.

Plus, if they get the idea that they can low ball you they may try to take advantage in other areas. If you are working hard and feel you are not getting the pay you deserve, it may affect your attitude and morale.

I know it is a difficult call and that you want to get back to full time, but if I were you I would try to meet them on terms that are fair you both yourself and to them.

Good luck with it!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2007 12:02:02 AM

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry I wasn't being clear. It is for a job in public accounting (without disclosing too much infor about this specific one). Actually, I know that industry pays higher and that would be my preference if I could get a job there. I've thought about talking directly to my prospective bosses and have actually mentioned to the RC that I 'could' talk to them but haven't heard back from either. The thing is though throughout the interviews, they asked me if money was my main priority and I said no, which is true. But I wouldn't want to feel resentful if I started on a salary that is SO much lower than market and my prospective peer (the other Director they currently have). The other thing I feel is that they've already started to low-ball me (knowing very well that my range X-Y was already below market), so what else would they low-ball me or bully me (for lack of a better word) about once I'd started work? Would I have to spend my time fighting for every little thing I'd want? On the other hand though, this IS a good opportunity and a step up the career ladder, looking at it from a non-monetary point of view.
Gosh, Lien I would talk to them and ditto to Becon's post. I know I have done the same as you in the past and it helped me; plus that industry is hot right now.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2007 12:14:29 AM
Author: Beacon
I would say renegotiate. If you are going to work so many hours and so hard you should be paid the range you expect, especially as the range you gave them is low to allow for the time you have had off work.

Plus, if they get the idea that they can low ball you they may try to take advantage in other areas. If you are working hard and feel you are not getting the pay you deserve, it may affect your attitude and morale.

I know it is a difficult call and that you want to get back to full time, but if I were you I would try to meet them on terms that are fair you both yourself and to them.

Good luck with it!
Thank you for your reply and suggestion, Beacon. This is EXACTLY how I feel. If I give in now, they''d want to take advantage of me in the future and I wouldn''t want to go into a job feeling I''ve been "out-done". It''d definitely be demoralising and may affect my work.

I too think that the terms should be such that they are fair and something that both sides should be happy with.

I will go back to them later tomorrow afternoon, if I haven''t heard from them or the RC by then.

Thank you for your good luck wish. I''ll need it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results