Millide

Rough_Rock
I have a 13.31carat diamond and would like to sell
Colour K
Clarity P2

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I had to google clarity P2. So it’s basically I2 at least.

I too would recommend getting a GIA report to have a chance of selling.

Based on the very few comps I could find online, I’d guess you’re definitely well under $100k due to the color and ESPECIALLY the clarity. Diamonds of similar sizes with SI2 clarity were just above 100k and I2 is going to really knock the cost down.

Millide

Rough_Rock
Your somewhat right, as I was personally expecting something around 3500usd per carat roughly $46k

Millide

Rough_Rock
So this is the one I'm talking about 13.31 carat
Colour k
Clarity p2
I'm kind of expecting $46k but needed more advice

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've not heard of this lab or clarity, and searched both. The lab is unique in the fact it appears they test a large amount of items for Dubai. And as @distracts pointed out, P2 = I2, assuming the Dubai lab grades to the standards as GIA.

Not being familiar with this lab, I am not sure the reputation inside Dubai, but for any credibility outside that region you will need to send to GIA and get graded as that will provide a more universal & trusted lab report that prospective buyers can use to help them determine quality & ultimately price. Too often diamonds are sometimes sent to certain labs in hopes they will get favorable grades as the lab is too lenient compared to GIA. Not saying that is happening here, but that is likely a concern of a buyer which makes it hard to evaluate true value without a trusted report.

In addition to color & clarity concerns, I am curious what GIA will grade this stone. Looks like it's a borderline VG to G cut looking at the GIA proportion charts. AGS charts is similar. Both attached for review.

Final color, clarity & cut grades as assigned by GIA could swing pricing.

Capture.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture2.PNG

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to add, using mathematical conversions, we can derive the following estimated crown & pavilion angles:
  • CA = 31.185
  • PA = 42.302

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The PS pricing charts might be helpful. Problem is the largest they go to is 5-5.99 carats.

In the smaller carat range, and if K-I2 holds true, this shows some pricing that you may be able to draw some conclusions on. Nothing in that exact category as shown. However, L-I1 is trading for more than K-I1 and there is roughly a $2,000 drop between I1 and I2 clarity.

One reasonable conclusion might be a K-I2 may trade for $4,181.

However, if you look at charts of smaller sizes, you will see that overall $/carat is trending higher as the carat size increases. This would be expected, and it would be logical to assume it would trade higher than a 5-6 carat stone, since yours is nearly double the size.

Capture.PNG

With all that said, these charts are based on RETAIL prices. Unless you have means to shuffle this stone in a retail environment, you won't get retail prices. You will sell for discount of some magnitude. For those selling pre-loved stones I like to project 70 cents on the dollar, or thereabouts. Depends on specifics obviously. But again, not 100% of retail.

Using PS search, I expanded from 10-15 carats, K color and SI2 or worse clarity. It popped 4 results as shown here.

10.01118,86011,874IGI
10.06136,85013,603IGI
10.07189,64318,832GIA
12.04233,80219,419GIA

One thing jumps off to me immediately is IGI is trading considerably less than GIA stones. About $6k less per carat! All stones are K-SI2's. The IGI are EX cut, whereas GIA stones are VG.

While we have a small data set (2 stones), there doesn't seem to be a massive price jump between 10 & 12 carats on the $/carat area. In this case, about $600.

And again, all these are RETAIL prices.

Others might be able to provide some more useful info from a Rapnet subscription. If you don't have one, I would consider it. The size of this stone & dollars involved I think it pays for it, even if on a limited duration.

Millide

Rough_Rock
THANKS FOR THIS VERY USEFUL INFORMATION
From how I quoted you below helps me concluding that $3500 per carat is very reasonable price that I can sell it fast and easly.

"One reasonable conclusion might be a K-I2 may trade for $4,181.

However, if you look at charts of smaller sizes, you will see that overall $/carat is trending higher as the carat size increases. This would be expected, and it would be logical to assume it would trade higher than a 5-6 carat stone, since yours is nearly double the size"

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d LOVE to see a photo of it.

i would also suggest sending it to GIA since its known worldwide.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d love to see what a 13 carat diamond looks like on or near fingers (if it’s unset). It must be quite the show piece :kiss2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$3500 per carat is very reasonable price that I can sell it fast and easily. ...

"Fast and easily"?, maybe not.

I don't know where you live but I think people everywhere are cautious when buying an expensive diamond, especially from a private party.
Most prefer, or insist, buying from a well-known and long-established reputable jeweler with a physical location they can return to in the future.
It instills trust and confidence for a scary purchase.

Obviously many transactions do occur between private parties - but "fast and easy" is not how I'd generally describe them.
More often it's slow and hard.
While a lower price might speed up a sale, it may also drive away some potential buyers who think it's too good to be true.

Arriving at the right asking price is important, but difficult.
Unlike gold and silver, diamonds are not a commodity with a universally agreed-to value that varies and is published daily.
While every ounce of pure gold is identical, every diamond's value is complex as it depends on the grades.
Two diamonds that look identical to you or I can vary in value by 100% or more because of things only qualified independent experts with the right equipment can discern.

Next, as a buyer those grades are meaningless to me if they are not from a lab that I recognize as one of the most reputable.
IMO the most important thing you can do to speed up a private sale is get a GIA report.
For secure worldwide shipping I have used and recommend Malca Amit ... not cheap, but safe.

The GIA report will go far to replace buyers' natural suspicion, fear, and anxiety with trust and confidence.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I've uploaded a short video here

**edited by moderator, no personal video links allowed please**

I'd take another video with lighting that shows and diamond's colorful fire.
The soft even lighting in the video is effective at bringing attention to the diamond's body color and inclusions.
Not to be deceptive, but different lighting will make a good impression by showing your diamond's colorful fireworks.

It's easy.
It's all about lighting.
Find a location with small bright overhead spotlights, like halogen.
Often elevators have those.
Just hit the STOP button. :Up_to_something:

Or get an LED flashlight that is very small (not a long LED tube) and place it high overhead.
Or you can get the same result by placing the diamond on the floor.
This way it presents to the diamond as a smaller but very bright light source.

Better yet, shoot the video in the middle of a sunny day under a big tree that lets through little shafts of sunlight.
Even better do this on a breezy day so the fire and colors move around.

Only a diamond can sparkle in that magic way.
As they say in advertising, "Don't sell the steak, sell the sizzle". :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
These sorts of things are not easy to sell, and as Kenny points out, the problem mostly isn't the price. Assuming that you don't own a jewelry store, you will almost certainly need to enlist the help of someone who does, and they're going to want a commission. Probably a fairly large one. Few dealers are going to want to take it into inventory because it's such a narrow market and that means consignment, possibly a lengthy one. FAST AND EASY is most definitely not the operative phrase. There's nothing easy about this.

I would concentrate efforts towards finding your partner and then enlist their help in setting the price. They'll be a commission salesperson so they have the same incentive as you in getting as much as possible out of it. I would actually put this ahead even of getting a GIA on it. Getting it 'certified' I2 or I3 gains you nothing, and will cost you over $1000 plus shipping and time. If it turns out it will benefit you, you can always send it in later.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
WOW, I never thought I would need to know this again or pass it on but I learned it anyway when a client was looking for a 10ct+ in this range. All they really cared about was 10ct+.

Th market for these are mainly in HK and Dubai.
They are very rarely sent to GIA at this level as there is nothing really to be gained other than lower profits because of the cost of the report.
At the time I looked into it they were mostly bought and sold through brokers to consumers.
Pricing is all over the place so the price in one place may not be the price in another.
Its comparatively a small market but it has a lot of money in it.
You would need to find someone dealing in this market to get anything for it from a trade member.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW, I never thought I would need to know this again or pass it on but I learned it anyway when a client was looking for a 10ct+ in this range. All they really cared about was 10ct+.

Th market for these are mainly in HK and Dubai.
They are very rarely sent to GIA at this level as there is nothing really to be gained other than lower profits because of the cost of the report.
At the time I looked into it they were mostly bought and sold through brokers to consumers.
Pricing is all over the place so the price in one place may not be the price in another.
Its comparatively a small market but it has a lot of money in it.
You would need to find someone dealing in this market to get anything for it from a trade member.

Wow.
Surprising.

Millide

Rough_Rock
Thanks for useful advice all..

Millide

Rough_Rock
So here is how I will go with it
Size 13.13carat
Colour K
Clarity I2
Price 3500usd per carat. Slightly negotiable
Brokers are also welcomed to assist
One of these 2ways of brokerage
1. 5% commission from total sale
2. Sale above the target price

Size 13.13carat
Colour K
Clarity I2

Depending on how quickly you need to sell, I would probably try for a slightly higher price per carat and allow yourself to be negotiated downwards, since you’ll be working with a broker. Or ask a broker to first quote you their price to see if you’re lowballing yourself since finding comps can be really hard in this range?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Size 13.13carat
Colour K
Clarity I2

good luck with the sale - i don't know enough to say but from my perspective as a consumer 5% seems like a small amount for a broker to be willing to find the customer and handle the transaction. would be really interested to hear back how things went after you speak to a few.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
5% is very low but they'll quote whatever price they want. You can take it or not as you wish. As a rule, the people who work the cheapest are not usually the best. I would expect them to be more like 20%-40% but, again, that's part of the negotiation here.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Size 13.13carat
Colour K
Clarity I2

I'm not sure what you mean by "brokers welcome to assist." No one is going to be knocking down your door to help you sell your diamond. You will have to go out and FIND someone who will help you sell it, and they will usually set the terms for doing so. I don't know where you are located but I suspect in the US, UK, and most of Asia, it's going to be hard to find a market for this diamond. A commission of 20-25% seems to be pretty common, and it's sometimes more. I suspect you'll have a very hard time selling it without a broker - the price point is far higher than people are usually willing to pay in person-to-person interactions.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Size 13.13carat
Colour K
Clarity I2

Wish you the best.
I dont have anyway of knowing if that's the right price but its seems to me to be reasonable from what I remember but in today's messed up world who knows,,,,
5% on an item in this price range is not going to bring any interest from a professional who deals in them.
They might be able to get more than your ask and do it that way but that would be luck more than anything.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Echo the others that this won't be fast & easy money.

So many variables in play with the overall dollar amount, the fact it's a pure luxury item, potential international transaction, marketing needed to find buyers and the required security/front of house needed to give interested buyers "warm fuzzies" spending that type of money.

If I were to hire a broker to sell the stone on my behalf, the final negotiated amount would come down to the marketing plan they intend to utilize to reach potential buyers and the overall retail price they expect to achieve.

What you would really care about is the NET profit in your hand at the end of the transaction. A few scenarios:
  • 5% commission = $3,500 x 13.31 = $46,585 x 0.95 = $44,256
  • 20% commission = $4,500 x 13.31 = $59,895 x 0.80 = $47,916
  • 25% commission = $4,750 x 13.31 = $63,222 x 0.75 = $47,417
While each of these scenarios make the net result to you nearly the same, it helps wet the beak of the seller/vendor/dealer and entice them more. And honestly, it makes sense that if I'm using a "front of house" approach that I should be able to gain a higher (retail) price than if I sold as private party.

Of course, what seems logical and what someone will actually pay doesn't always align.

So perhaps a sliding commission would be agreeable to both parties as it allows you to maintain the net amount you want, while allowing the seller to increase/decrease their commission by the amount of effort & speed upon which they place on getting the stone sold.

Jumping back to those comparison I did earlier in this thread. $4,181 was number based on the 5 carat range. Then I found 4 other stones that all measured 10 carats, K and SI2. Two of them had IGI reports and the other two had GIA reports. The two stones with IGI reports averaged out to around $12,000/carat. In the smaller 5 carat ranges, we saw drops of about $3,500 or so between SI2 and I2 clarity. Let's assume that drop will double for a 10+ carat stone.

So we might be able to reasonably conclude market value could be closer to $12,000 - ($3,500 x 2 for clarity adjustment) = $5,000 per carat. If that holds true, then the 25% commission I illustrated above wouldn't seem too far fetched.

Obviously lots of speculation in all this. A vendor would likely have better historical data and/or Rapnet access to help solidify some of these assumptions. And that is part of the service you are paying for with a higher commission as well.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rapnet access
If its on Rapnet its overpriced and your not going to make the sale in this market which is why we didn't get it and got me to look into it more.
It is a some what strange market.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If its on Rapnet its overpriced and your not going to make the sale in this market which is why we didn't get it and got me to look into it more.
It is a some what strange market.

I can see it being a strange market - I can't imagine there are a whole lot of people out there wanting to drop $50k or so on a diamond with inclusions so easily visible. I imagine most of the ~50k diamond buyers are looking for something with high specs in the 2 ct range, medium specs in the 3-5 carat range, or whatever you can get at Cartier or Harry Winston or another top brand for that price.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results