shape
carat
color
clarity

I had an I diamond appraised today, and was told that it was a K.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
Kenny, its because it was so blinding
10.gif
You need to provide shades for your co-workers LOL

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clean diamonds DO stand out!
Maybe I should stop cleaning it.

At work we have little pump bottles of isopropyl alcohol, tiny brushes, Q-tips, compressed air and microscopes all over the place.
It is very hard to allow it get dirty.

I probably most often have the cleanest diamond of anyone here on Pricescope.
3.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2007 6:50:20 PM
Author: kenny
Clean diamonds DO stand out!
Maybe I should stop cleaning it.

At work we have little pump bottles of isopropyl alcohol, tiny brushes, Q-tips, compressed air and microscopes all over the place.
It is very hard to allow it get dirty.

I probably have the cleanest diamond of anyone here on Pricescope.
3.gif
I think you should give it to me.
11.gif

And uh, I''ll challenge you on the cleaner diamond.
25.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any cleaning advice?

Scott, what sizes do you see in NY?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use hot water and a lil bit of Dawn for everday cleaning, soak, then scrubb. Usually twice a week, to get it squeeky clean, I soak it in hot water and Dawn, scrub. Then run through Ultrasonic with hot water, Dawn and splash of amonia.

The other day I did all that, and then soaked a few minutes in alcohol, scrubbed and blew dry (which I always do after cleaning).

It was
30.gif

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
I live in the UES as well (I had a sneaky feeling that I recognized your view, since I have seen one very similar before). Here ofcourse I see the full gamut from .25ct to the 5ct honkers... all on ladies. Even a saleswoman at Van Cleef and Arpel''s was surprised to see my ring and she gushed over it (which was definitely flattering considering the big and beautiful rocks she must see daily).

I think I once saw a man with a larger diamond than me but it was in one of those gold-nugget, 20lb heavy settings which definitely took away from the potential from the stone. As a matter of fact, even when I wear my 0.39ct tension setting (and not my 1.15cter), its still the biggest around
7.gif
Which is a bit uncomfortably noticeable in some situations...

As for cleaning I am a bit different than most in that I first get rid of grease with those foaming hand soaps and lots of HOT water, then I finish off with a isopropyl alcohol (rubbing) dip and a quick dry with a blowdryer. Not as sophisticated as the others but it certainly keeps things squeeky clean and no special machines required
10.gif

Date: 1/13/2007 7:36:17 PM
Author: Harriet
Any cleaning advice?

Scott, what sizes do you see in NY?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I''m thinking of buying the Sharper Image cleaner, unless my neighbour, Scott, wants to help me out.

Scott, what would you say is the median weight for the UES?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Harriet, gorgeous ring, but girlfriend, are you biting your nails??

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2007 9:27:43 PM
Author: starryeyed
Harriet, gorgeous ring, but girlfriend, are you biting your nails??
shhhhhh don''t make her feel uncomfortable = she wasn''t gonna post handshots at all!! seriously though - nothing like a big rock to make you think... hmm.... weekly manicures are a must! haha

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2007 9:37:43 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
shhhhhh don''t make her feel uncomfortable = she wasn''t gonna post handshots at all!! seriously though - nothing like a big rock to make you think... hmm.... weekly manicures are a must! haha
Yes, weekly manicures might help - I would imagine nail polish tastes gross! Or start with acrylics to kick the habit? Poor dear, Harriet, you must be stressed out and overworked! You do have responsibilities to that diamond though, you know?
2.gif

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
Harriet,

Since you have a solitaire, I do think that an ultrasonic would likely be the most efficient way to keep your pet rock as sparkley as possible. If you had sidestones (esp pave), then my personal preference would be to clean as I suggested... I do this for both my and my mom''s rings.

As far as the median in the UES, well I am exposed mainly to people at the medical center and so far I have seen 3 major catagories... the researchers, who have the more modest rings in the .5-1.25ct range typically in rounds... then we have the medical staff who tend to have 1.5-2ct again mainly in rounds and princesses, and occassionally an antique OEC, or an emerald and finally the affluent patients who sport some boulders (rounds, princesses, emeralds), I''ve personally seen 2-6cts on these fortunate women. Strangely, I have only seen one cushion on anyone whose ring I''ve seen personally and I am pretty attuned to that shape since I''ve purchased 4 already
11.gif

Please remember that I have but a moment or two to glance at the rings since it often makes people uncomfortable when you stare at their bling (its happened to me too hehehe). So these are just my ballpark estimates, but so far I am pretty good at guessing weight, color, and clarity on their stones (a guessing game I play only with my closest friends, which seems to amaze them since they often don''t really get into the grading and science aspect of e-rings).

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
harriette, that is a fabulous ring. i hope it brings you much enjoyment.
1.gif

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhh I love the ring.
30.gif
I am speachless

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol seriously when i got my ring i was like oh now i am required to take better care of my hands!!! i always see people looking at my rings and i didn't want to be self-conscious about my hands. i love when i see beautifully cared for hands with a beautiful rock! i am pretty good about keeping them clear polished with lotion on for the most part. harriet if you are a biter, i think there are some previous threads around here somewhere about how to stop that might be of help!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not a biter anymore. I just keep my nails very short because I play the piano.

Scott,
4 cushions?! I was seriously considering a cushion, but am glad I went with the rb. I am coveting a coloured cushion, which I will set in the HW pave style.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2007 5:41:45 PM
My original e-ring and my current one.
Harriet, I think you will take the prize for the greatest upgrade!

You seem to be thinking a lot about the size diamonds around you, and I think that is a good idea. I know that I didn''t feel l''d be comfortable with a really large diamond since most people around me wear a carat or less. But I do think you can go a lot larger being in NYC than those of us in most smaller towns can.

Are you thinking about changing size or color?

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
Yep 4 cushions, two Cushettes and two OMCs, what can I say? its a pleasing outline with so many different looks! Now do tell what color cushion will be on your next project list
11.gif
This "hobby" sure gets expensive hehehe

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamondseeker,
Possibly both, though not for a while. Our piggybank can''t take it yet.

Scott,
Orange. That said, my next project is a pair of diamond loop earrings. My birthstone is, afterall, diamond!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 12:00:47 PM
Diamondseeker,
Possibly both, though not for a while. Our piggybank can''t take it yet.

Scott,
Orange. That said, my next project is a pair of diamond loop earrings. My birthstone is, afterall, diamond!
I''m sorry - I couldn''t figure out what you guys mean by changing size and color - do you mean on the round brilliant? you want a bigger one?? What color? hehe like dee jay''s temp stone haha

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 12:27:50 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 1/15/2007 12:00:47 PM
Diamondseeker,
Possibly both, though not for a while. Our piggybank can't take it yet.

Scott,
I'm sorry - I couldn't figure out what you guys mean by changing size and color - do you mean on the round brilliant? you want a bigger one?? What color? hehe like dee jay's temp stone haha
Yes, the rb. I'm taking the 5th. Don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results