shape
carat
color
clarity

I got to meet OCTAVIA in person today !!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I was at GOG today and got to check out Ocatvia - both in the light box and in indirect sunlight by the store's window. Really fantastic! It has both steps and sparkle. (Storm is a genius for figuring out how to make a step cut that is this lively!) Way kewl.

I also got to see the August vintage rounds (and cushions). They are awesome beyond words. They give big flash, big color and big impact while still maintaining an elegant vintage look.

---

And - I upgraded to this August cushion:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6741/

Video (the one on the right, the 1.46):

http://www.vimeo.com/7922023

Thanks JW, for all your help. You absolutely beam when you talk about & show these stones. --- And you absolutely should. ---

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ahhhh I love this!!! oh I sooo am drooling over these
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
when are you going to posts pictures of your lovelies?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the upgrade it''s beyond stunning. And love that you got to see Octavia in person...

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks DT & Kaleigh.

-- when are you going to posts pictures of your lovelies? ---

Oh, me? Wow, thanks. It''s still at the store. I''ll get some photos up after the setting comes in and it''s set & all. Thanks for asking!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh I''m jealous.

Congrats on your beautiful new AVC!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What did you trade in to get your August Vintage? I liked the one on the right better inthe video, I can see why you picked it!

starshine

Shiny_Rock
Love your new stone! Congrats!
36.gif
And sooooooo jealous that you got to see Octavia!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
--- What did you trade in to get your August Vintage? ---

A GOG modern cushion, DD.

Thanks all. :)

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Many congratulations on your upgrade, lovely cushion. Can''t wait to see your pics.... Is your new cushion much bigger than your trade in ?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! And did you take any pics of Miss Octavia?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Glad you liked them!
Congrates on your upgrade!!

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
I love it. Oh wow...gee, now I want one of these...

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I was at GOG recently for a very short time.....I didn''t think Octavia was there.........didn''t get to see her.......

But I LOVED the new August vintage rounds!!! Big beautiful flashes!

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your upgrade!

Now about the Octavia, Karl is a genius.
I''m sure he can create a shallower cut and even more sparkly, but he is clever enough to know that yield is the most important thing to have people in the trade follow him.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!! I''m so jealous! I definitely need to get to GOG one of these days, maybe for an anniversary present hunt in the future.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I love this!
30.gif
30.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your new stone, it''s beautiful.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
--- Is your new cushion much bigger than your trade in ? ---

1.02 to 1.46. Thanks for asking.

----

And, thanks all.

----

--- Now about the Octavia, Karl is a genius. ----

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. Amazing upgrade!
I''ve been away for a few months. It appears GoG''s been busy. And so had Karl. Congrats!
Btw what''s the main difference between GoG Signature Cushions and August Vintage again?

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I''m so jealous! I love that stone, and what an upgrade! can''t wait to see the finished ring:)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/30/2009 6:12:43 AM
Author: QueenMum
Congratulations on your upgrade!

Now about the Octavia, Karl is a genius.

I''m sure he can create a shallower cut and even more sparkly, but he is clever enough to know that yield is the most important thing to have people in the trade follow him.
Hi QM!!

The first goal of Octavia was the super high crown and everything else grew around that.
Nothing is wasted everything that is there is there to drive that super high crown in returning light.
Despite the depth the spread is about the same as a lot of asschers because there is no extra material that does not contribute to performance or durability.
I could have traded 15% performance for a lower depth and smaller spread (add useless pavilion weight) but that would not be a diamond I would want my name on.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 10:57:16 AM
Author: Karl_K
Hi QM!!

The first goal of Octavia was the super high crown and everything else grew around that.
Nothing is wasted everything that is there is there to drive that super high crown in returning light.
Despite the depth the spread is about the same as a lot of asschers because there is no extra material that does not contribute to performance or durability.
I could have traded 15% performance for a lower depth and smaller spread (add useless pavilion weight) but that would not be a diamond I would want my name on.[/quote]
Hi Karl!

A part of me was serious, the other was teasing you.
I know you love diamonds too much and you wouldn''t create something you don''t love.
I also understand you had to create something that had a broad tolerance in angles (especially for a step cut) because cutters are only human beings. You couldn''t afford that a 0.1 degree angle difference makes your diamond look ugly. That''s why (and for a lot of other reasons) that I call you a genius.

With the right rough, my guess was that the yield is better than for round diamonds. Am I wrong?

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
For people who have a 3D view, the high crown surely adds to the spread and makes the Octavia look big, even with the smaller diameter.

Is it difficult to bezel set it and would it still look good?

I will be buy a new round diamond soon and I love prongs, but some friends may be interested.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About yield . . .

I've had an Octavia for a week now.
With other well-cut diamonds you have to point them right at you to get the full light show.
The high crown of the Octavia throws off substantial bling when the diamond is more off axis, (or not facing you) than even the well cut regular asscher or ideal-cut rounds that we own.

AFAIC a diamond that explodes with light at more angles means it makes smarter use of the rough, even if it is not the heaviest ideal that could have been cut from that rough.

Another cut of higher yield (yield is cutting a heavier diamond from the same rough) is not as desirable to me if you have to rotate your hand and look exactly into the center of it for it to perform.

One analogy is those flat screen TVs.
Some of them don't look good when you look at them from the side.
Others look just as clear from the side as they do when you stand right in front of them.
The Octavia blings more when seen off axis, which is how our hand is usually positioned.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 12:00:21 PM
Author: kenny
About yield . . .

I''ve had an Octavia for a week now.
With other well-cut diamonds you have to point them right at you to get the full light show.
The high crown of the Octavia throws off substantial bling when the diamond is more off axis, (or not facing you) than even a well cut regular asscher or ideal-cut round.

AFAIC a diamond that explodes with light at more angles means it makes better use of rough.

Another cut of higher yield (yield is cutting a heavier diamond from the same rough) is not as desirable to me if you have to rotate your hand and look exactly into the center of it for it to perform.

One analogy is those flat screen TVs.
Some of them don''t look good when you look at them from the side.
Others look just as clear from the side as they do when you stand right in front of them.
The Octavia blings more when seen off axis, which is how our hand is usually positioned.
That''s great to know, Kenny, and it''s not something I would have thought to ask if I were considering purchasing a stone.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Hi Kenny!
Do you have some side view pictures of your new baby?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took a zillion pics and posted 11 of them in this long thread on Hangout:

Click

Here is an example of the off-axis deliciousness you get with an Octavia, which is sitting in a flower.

4hm3.jpg

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Very nice pictures, thank you Kenny!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The off axis beauty is what appeals to me a lot about the Octavia. Seems like that is how you see the diamond much of the time.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sonoma, congratulations on the gorgeous new stone!
30.gif
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results