shape
carat
color
clarity

I got my sapphire today...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
... and I am going to send it back
15.gif

It is a lovely cut, but there is something funny about how its color looks in person versus on camera! On camera, it looks electric blue, but in person, in all types of lights, it is most definitely a purple color. Indoors it looks quite dark, and outgoors it shows flashes of lighter colour, but certainly not the electric blue of photographs.

Also, I think I want a bigger stone
11.gif
One carat for a gemstone is just too small! LOL!

I am not going to bother posting photos here because they look just like the ones that Gary took! It is just impossible to capture its true color on camera.

I think maybe I am not a sapphire girl after all. "Moody" stone indeed! What wearable gemstones are the brightest and most exciting in person? Garnets?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 2:19:01 PM
Author:dreamer_dachsie
... and I am going to send it back
15.gif

It is a lovely cut, but there is something funny about how its color looks in person versus on camera! On camera, it looks electric blue, but in person, in all types of lights, it is most definitely a purple color. Indoors it looks quite dark, and outgoors it shows flashes of lighter colour, but certainly not the electric blue of photographs.

Also, I think I want a bigger stone
11.gif
One carat for a gemstone is just too small! LOL!

I am not going to bother posting photos here because they look just like the ones that Gary took! It is just impossible to capture its true color on camera.

I think maybe I am not a sapphire girl after all. ''Moody'' stone indeed! What wearable gemstones are the brightest and most exciting in person? Garnets?
DD, maybe a brighter green garnet?

Bummer...it looked so pretty. Have you seen it in all kinds of lighting? I can''t imagine that stone being a disappointment.
39.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, the photos of it were so lovely. Why don''t you snap a few for us?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah! I want to see pics too. And sapphires are very dense, so one carat for them is different than one carat for other less dense stones...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I took some pictures but to be honest they are completely inaccurate. That electric blue colour is really not apparent in person at all. In fact, very little blue is apparent in person. I think the vendor picture on Gary''s website is most accurate, but it is impossible to capture this color on my camera. If it looked like it does in photos I''d keep it for sure! But it really and truly doesn''t look that way.

I''ll see if I can get more accurate shots later today!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 2:54:41 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Yeah! I want to see pics too. And sapphires are very dense, so one carat for them is different than one carat for other less dense stones...
Yeah, sapphs are dense. This one is 1.26 so it faces up like a 1 ct diamond.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry about the disappointment on the stone. One of the reasons I stay far away from sapphires is because you do not get a lot of bang for your buck. Most stones are heated, and unheated ones are very costly in nice qualities. Also, they are so dense that per carat prices seem almost unfair. For example, a two carat sapphire will be about the same size as a one carat emerald. I''m also a stickler for having gems that look nice in all light sources, and most blue sapphires do not.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 3:17:14 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Date: 4/13/2009 2:54:41 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Yeah, sapphs are dense. This one is 1.26 so it faces up like a 1 ct diamond.
Ah, ok. I thought you meant the stone was a 1cter.

I am sad you''re going to send it back. It''s so pretty...

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
That''s too bad! I loved how it looked on his website, but if it doesn''t speak to you in person-best find something that does :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 3:26:08 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Sorry about the disappointment on the stone. One of the reasons I stay far away from sapphires is because you do not get a lot of bang for your buck. Most stones are heated, and unheated ones are very costly in nice qualities. Also, they are so dense that per carat prices seem almost unfair. For example, a two carat sapphire will be about the same size as a one carat emerald. I''m also a stickler for having gems that look nice in all light sources, and most blue sapphires do not.
You said something similar in another thread and it has really gotten me thinking TL! Sapphs are popular because of marketing, but also perhaps because of their wearability. I am not sure I would want a more easily damaged gem in a ring I wear every day! So corundum, spinel, and chrysoberyl may be the only gems totally suitable for heavy wear rings. Yet corundum has the faults you mention. What about spinel and chrysoberyl? Both certainly win out in the price per carat contest, how about in the brightness and sparkle contest?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 3:31:42 PM

You said something similar in another thread and it has really gotten me thinking TL! Sapphs are popular because of marketing, but also perhaps because of their wearability. I am not sure I would want a more easily damaged gem in a ring I wear every day! So corundum, spinel, and chrysoberyl may be the only gems totally suitable for heavy wear rings. Yet corundum has the faults you mention. What about spinel and chrysoberyl? Both certainly win out in the price per carat contest, how about in the brightness and sparkle contest?
DD, I agree with TL. The pad I have honestly looks good in all light conditions and is cut shallow (yet no window) so I am pleased with the spread.

I have never seen a quality spinel in person, but that would be the first type of stone I would give a try. They are supposedly more sparkly and make a good every day ring. But the don''t have the marketing nor the status behind them - if you care about that sort of thing. For the bang for the buck theory, I''d go with that. I do like sapphires, but they are COSTLY for the right one.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 3:36:25 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 4/13/2009 3:31:42 PM

Sorry about the disappointment on the stone. One of the reasons I stay far away from sapphires is because you do not get a lot of bang for your buck. Most stones are heated, and unheated ones are very costly in nice qualities. Also, they are so dense that per carat prices seem almost unfair. For example, a two carat sapphire will be about the same size as a one carat emerald. I'm also a stickler for having gems that look nice in all light sources, and most blue sapphires do not.
DD, I agree with TL. The pad I have honestly looks good in all light conditions and is cut shallow (yet no window) so I am pleased with the spread.

I have never seen a quality spinel in person, but that would be the first type of stone I would give a try. They are supposedly more sparkly and make a good every day ring. But the don't have the marketing nor the status behind them - if you care about that sort of thing. For the bang for the buck theory, I'd go with that. I do like sapphires, but they are COSTLY for the right one.
According to my friend who collects spinels, she states that almost all blue spinels have grey in them. This isn't a big deal for many spinel collectors, but it is hard to find a true blue spinel without grey. Finding a good shade of a medium saturated pure blue stone without overtones of grey, brown, red, or yellow is a difficult task, and it can be costly as well.

My friend (who you all know) spent three years trying to find the right color in a blue spinel.

TG,
As for your padparadscha, you found the "needle in the haystack" there.
2.gif
9.gif

Finding a nice, natural and unheated padparadscha is ten times more difficult.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 3:42:43 PM

Date: 4/13/2009 3:36:25 PM
Author: TravelingGal

I have never seen a quality spinel in person, but that would be the first type of stone I would give a try. They are supposedly more sparkly and make a good every day ring. But the don''t have the marketing nor the status behind them - if you care about that sort of thing. For the bang for the buck theory, I''d go with that. I do like sapphires, but they are COSTLY for the right one.
According to my friend who collects spinels, she states that almost all blue spinels have grey in them. This isn''t a big deal for many spinel collectors, but it is hard to find a true blue spinel without grey. Finding a good shade of a medium saturated pure blue stone without overtones of grey, brown, red, or yellow is a difficult task, and it can be costly as well.

My friend (who you all know) spent three years trying to find the right color in a blue spinel.
I don''t really care about marketing and status
3.gif
I just want a pretty stone. I haven''t seen a lot of spinels on the gem sites with colors that I really love, to be honest. The most appealing to me are the garnets! And I am not married to blue... we shall see what the future holds. Right now, I think it holds a nice little diamond eternity band and a re-set for my diamond solitaire into a three stone
11.gif
Blingtastic!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
DD-I personally love the spinels I''ve purchased and if you are open to color-they certainly come in every color under the rainbow! What colors are you top choices?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha TL, I didn''t find it, Richard did. He made it seem so easy that I figured there had to be tons of them out there, lol.

DD, I''m with you, I have been really drawn to garnets recently!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer,
Another thing about spinels is that many of them do not hold their blue color in all lighting. Therefore, like the sapphire in question, you have to be aware of that with spinels as well. My friend told me to avoid blue spinels and stick with pink or red ones due to the grey and the issues with color shifting. I have purchased two blue spinels recently, and have returned both of them. I'm not a spinel expert, but I consider my friend to know a lot about them, so I'm just trying to relay what she told me. I did recently buy a pink spinel that is very pretty though, and I'm currently looking into buying a red one.

Garnets are nice, but many of them are overly dark, and go very dark in sunlight. True pastel shades of garnets are typically more expensive, but very pretty. I just purchased a minty green grossular garnet I'm in love with. There's a lot of possibility with garnets, and I like the fact that they still are an untreated stone (for the time being - LOL!!).

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Oh that''s too bad! It did look like a lovely stone. But yeah, if you''re not happy with it''s probably better to return it - and use that money to get something you really LOVE.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 3:59:16 PM
Author: stepcutnut
DD-I personally love the spinels I''ve purchased and if you are open to color-they certainly come in every color under the rainbow! What colors are you top choices?
I would love a red spinel! LOL! Of course... I also like peachy colours and orange-pink shades. I am less drawn to pastel shades and prefer really saturated colors for sure. Greens are nice too, but mostly the bright apple green colors.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 4:27:55 PM
Date: 4/13/2009 3:59:16 PM

Author: stepcutnut

DD-I personally love the spinels I've purchased and if you are open to color-they certainly come in every color under the rainbow! What colors are you top choices?

I would love a red spinel! LOL! Of course... I also like peachy colours and orange-pink shades. I am less drawn to pastel shades and prefer really saturated colors for sure. Greens are nice too, but mostly the bright apple green colors.
Oooo I saw a lovely red one somewhere recently and would have bought if I had the fundage-let be think about where it was-I am at a loss right now! I just purchased a lovely pink one and was very pleasantly surprised-in the vendor photos it looked quit pastel pink and when I received it, it was a gorgeous fuischa---so make sure to ask the vendor what color they see IRL! What shapes do you like?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Can you post a link to the stone? Have you considered a green sapphire? Some of them are very pretty. A red spinel would be nice too, or a tsavorite?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah, that one looked amazing in the pics. Bummer.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Too bad,

If I didn''t have a blue sapphire which is a great color, I would have loved that stone (based on the photos). I personally love the blue in my sapphire and didn''t mind paying the price. I have never seen a blue spinel that has the same vivid blue as my sapphire, but I am sure they exist. I think it is a trade off between the different stones.

I think if you are open to a pink spinel, that is a great option. That is a stone I am considering in the future. The red ones are beautiful, but they are expensive.

Sorry the sapphire didn''t work out.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 6:48:55 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Too bad,

If I didn''t have a blue sapphire which is a great color, I would have loved that stone (based on the photos). I personally love the blue in my sapphire and didn''t mind paying the price. I have never seen a blue spinel that has the same vivid blue as my sapphire, but I am sure they exist. I think it is a trade off between the different stones.

I think if you are open to a pink spinel, that is a great option. That is a stone I am considering in the future. The red ones are beautiful, but they are expensive.

Sorry the sapphire didn''t work out.
I would have loved it based on the photos too
2.gif
But it really looks nothing like them unfortunately! I love your sapphire though, great rich velvety color.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
So disappointing! I, too, would have loved it if it looked like the photos
9.gif
No worries though, your stone is out there, dd.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Well, the first sapphire I bought ended up being sent back because it didn''t look like the photos. I think that is one of the downsides to buying online. Don''t give up, you are not the first, nor will you be the last to have an issue with a stone looking different on camera.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear about that! If you prefer the durability of sapphires, do you like pink or yellow ones?

I would highly recommend red or hot pink spinels as they can be very pretty without the extra high price tag of ruby or pink sapphires. It will take some time to find a good one, but all worth the wait.

If you prefer green stones, then definitely go with tsavorite or grossularite garnet. Gene at precisiongem.com has two lovely stones!

Good luck with your search!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 5:16:23 PM

Date: 4/13/2009 5:12:34 PM
Author: innerkitten
Can you post a link to the stone? Have you considered a green sapphire? Some of them are very pretty. A red spinel would be nice too, or a tsavorite?
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-do-you-think-of-this-sapphire.111617/ here are some pictures. None capture what it looks like in person, IMHO, and I cannot capture its true appearance on camera either. It looks MUCH more blue on camera.
OMG I can''t believe it! When you posted those pics last week I wondered if the stone would have been too LIGHT!

So sorry it didn''t work out for you. On to another hunt for you!

LS

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry about the sapphire...I was so looking for ward to pictures!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only real poopy thing is that because I am in Canada it is a little bit of a hassel to return the stone! Luckily, DH is going to Fort Erie for a Hockey tournament this weekend and can pop over the border to send it by USPS (you can''t insure jewels for greater than $500 going from Canada to the US!)

Date: 4/13/2009 9:42:42 PM
Author: yingh
Sorry to hear about that! If you prefer the durability of sapphires, do you like pink or yellow ones?

I would highly recommend red or hot pink spinels as they can be very pretty without the extra high price tag of ruby or pink sapphires. It will take some time to find a good one, but all worth the wait.

If you prefer green stones, then definitely go with tsavorite or grossularite garnet. Gene at precisiongem.com has two lovely stones!

Good luck with your search!
You are right! Hmmm... now things are ticking...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results