shape
carat
color
clarity

I got an AVR! Help me with the tech stuff?!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i am so excited - i have purchased this august vintage round which should arrive soon:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7722/

i am nowhere near as adept at reading the IS and ASET images as so many of you - could you tell me how it looks? any concerns with the numbers or the med flouro (this is something else that drew me to this stone). TIA!!!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
here are the numbers:

Width: 4.90mm
Length: 4.93mm
Depth: 3.15mm
Table Percentage: 49.77%
Depth Percentage: 64.30%
Crown ∠: 34.73°
Crown Depth: 17.44%
Pavilion ∠: 41.18°
Pavilion Depth: 43.75%

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! I believe AVRs were designed with optimal light return. Should be a very pretty stone. Post
some pics when you get it.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks tyty! that's why i didn't post before i went ahead and bought it. but then i saw some posts that had me wondering about the IS/aset and the med fluoro (heard the term over-blue used in reference to a med blue fluro stone - had not heard that before). plus it scored a 3.5 on the HCA - yikes!

i remember you weighed in on my eternity thread also. everyone's input was so extremely helpful. i kept vascillating and never stayed in LOVE with any one option - except that through it all i kept coming back to this stone (i think i even posted about it vaguely in my poll thread). then someone started a thread looking for D/IFs under a half carat, and i became more and more anxious that this one was going to disappear. that's how i finally knew this was the direction to go in. it felt right, and worth the money and the occasion in a way that the eternities did not.

sorry to blabber on.... i just wanted those who helped so much with my eternity search to know i really appreciated their input, and to know why i ended up with this instead!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
rainydaze|1310483142|2967247 said:
thanks tyty! that's why i didn't post before i went ahead and bought it. but then i saw some posts that had me wondering about the IS/aset and the med fluoro (heard the term over-blue used in reference to a med blue fluro stone - had not heard that before). plus it scored a 3.5 on the HCA - yikes!

i remember you weighed in on my eternity thread also. everyone's input was so extremely helpful. i kept vascillating and never stayed in LOVE with any one option - except that through it all i kept coming back to this stone (i think i even posted about it vaguely in my poll thread). then someone started a thread looking for D/IFs under a half carat, and i became more and more anxious that this one was going to disappear. that's how i finally knew this was the direction to go in. it felt right, and worth the money and the occasion in a way that the eternities did not.

sorry to blabber on.... i just wanted those who helped so much with my eternity search to know i really appreciated their input, and to know why i ended up with this instead!!

HCA does not matter when you have an ASET/IS image. The AVRs are cut for light performance but have different characteristics than traditional RBs so might score poorly on HCA.

How do you plan to set it?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks slg! that is a huge relief to know that about the AVRs and the HCA.

as for the setting, i had imagined something like this (linky below) - so when i came across this setting on ann mackay's site, i couldn't even believe it!! i am thinking i would wear it on my middle finger, right hand. i have also been toying with the idea of having blue sapphires on the sides...

http://www.annmckaystudio.com/engagement/959.html

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainydaze|1310506119|2967526 said:
thanks slg! that is a huge relief to know that about the AVRs and the HCA.

as for the setting, i had imagined something like this (linky below) - so when i came across this setting on ann mackay's site, i couldn't even believe it!! i am thinking i would wear it on my middle finger, right hand. i have also been toying with the idea of having blue sapphires on the sides...

http://www.annmckaystudio.com/engagement/959.html

That stone will be gorgeous in that setting. I have a small .46 stone that I want to have set in a ring but there are just
so many choices I cant decide what I want!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tell me about it!! i am pretty bad at decisions (as is well documented here on PS :cheeky: ). i love how delicate the ann mackay is, and how it lets the diamond take center stage - however, i have always wanted blue sapph's and this is kind of the perfect opportunity. but then, that changes the whole feel of the ring, and i don't know yet which i prefer more.

what have you considered for yours?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks tyty! that's why i didn't post before i went ahead and bought it. but then i saw some posts that had me wondering about the IS/aset and the med fluoro (heard the term over-blue used in reference to a med blue fluro stone - had not heard that before)

Medium blue getting over-blue is possible, much lower chance compare to stronger fluor, but unlikely to be in GOG's branded stone in that case, it will be a tarnish to their name instead of an asset. If you are worried, you can ask GOG if it is an over-blue.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The AVR is not a traditional RB so the HCA is not really relevant I think.

That brand is one you can blindly trust in my opinion. Just pick the color/carat/clarity you like and buy with confidence you are getting a top performer for its type!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1310525407|2967759 said:
The AVR is not a traditional RB so the HCA is not really relevant I think.

That brand is one you can blindly trust in my opinion. Just pick the color/carat/clarity you like and buy with confidence you are getting a top performer for its type!

+1

They are beautiful stones for sure, and a D is going to be gorgeous!!!! I love Ann McKay settings, too!

Klokke

Rough_Rock
I think your HCA is actually 4.1! Double yikes even if this is an AVR. Remember that angles give you a more accurate HCA.

Selected: 64.3% depth, 49.8% table, 34.7° crown angle, 41.2° pavilion angle
The result is for a symmetrical diamond with a medium girdle and very good polish

Factor Grade
Light Return Very Good
Fire Good
Scintillation Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Good
Total Visual Performance 4.1 - Good - Only if price is your main criterion

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Klokke said:
I think your HCA is actually 4.1! Double yikes even if this is an AVR. Remember that angles give you a more accurate HCA.

The result is for a symmetrical diamond with a medium girdle and very good polish

Factor Grade
Light Return Very Good
Fire Good
Scintillation Good
Spread

Sorry, klokke, I think you're wrong because the HCA calculator can be used only for round diamonds:
"The Holloway Cut Adviser (U.S. Patent 7,251,619) estimates a round diamonds appeal based on its potential Light Return, Fire, Scintillation and Spread."

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplesilk|1310544122|2967887 said:
Klokke said:

Factor Grade
Light Return Very Good
Fire Good
Scintillation Good
Spread

Sorry, klokke, I think you're wrong because the HCA calculator can be used only for round diamonds:
"The Holloway Cut Adviser (U.S. Patent 7,251,619) estimates a round diamonds appeal based on its potential Light Return, Fire, Scintillation and Spread."

klokke, the AVR is a round (they have an AVC which is a cushion) however it is a different cut than a traditional rb. from what others are saying, it sounds like even so, the HCA isn't useful for this cut. thank goodness!!! :)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone-cold11|1310509076|2967558 said:
thanks tyty! that's why i didn't post before i went ahead and bought it. but then i saw some posts that had me wondering about the IS/aset and the med fluoro (heard the term over-blue used in reference to a med blue fluro stone - had not heard that before)

Medium blue getting over-blue is possible, much lower chance compare to stronger fluor, but unlikely to be in GOG's branded stone in that case, it will be a tarnish to their name instead of an asset. If you are worried, you can ask GOG if it is an over-blue.

thanks Stone-cold!! that's very reassuring!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks Dreamer and ds! that's what i had thought from being here on PS (just pick and go, lol) but then my nerves crept in and got the better of me! :errrr: :)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Dreamer and DS...no worries about that stone at all. It is going to be gorgeous!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results