shape
carat
color
clarity

I get to start shopping for my sapphire e-ring!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
I figured I''d post this here, since this is where I''ll probably be asking the most questions as I go through this process. This past Saturday, my BF, now fiancé, proposed to me! I had no clue that he was planning this and was completely surprised. We were having a weekend-long house party and bonfire at the Amish farm that we''re renovating and at about 10 pm at the bonfire, he called a halt to everything and said he had one more thing to do that night. He then got down on one knee and pulled out the largest rock I''d ever seen
emwink.gif
and asked me to marry him. I said yes, everyone was laughing and shouting congrats and hugging and it was awesome. Attached is a picture of the "rock"! It''s just my temp ring until I get the real thing, but I still love, love, love it! Unfortunately, it''s a little unweildly to to it''s size, so for now it hangs out in my purse at work and on my desk when I''m at home - but I''m keeping it close to me where ever I go!

So, now the hunt will be on for a sapphire & setting for my real ring! WOOOHOOO!!!

LaurelRing_Small.JPG

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
OMG that''s AWESOME, LOL!!!
36.gif
Congrats on your engagement!

What size/cut/style do you think you want?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! What are you looking for?

P.S. Pug love! Your baby is adorable! I have a black pug too.
9.gif

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 3:48:23 PM
Author: geckodani
OMG that''s AWESOME, LOL!!!
36.gif
Congrats on your engagement!

What size/cut/style do you think you want?
Thanks! Right now I''m leaving towards a lighter-medium blue cushion cut from Jeff White. I really like his asschers a lot, but I think I''d have to go lighter in color than I''m really wanting in order to really show off the cut and I do like sparkle, so I think a cushion is a better option for me. As for settings, I really like the shared prong from James Allen or the Milano from Knox, and since I''m in MN, I can run down to the Twin Cities to their shop whenever, so that''s nice. Plus, Mr.L''s brother is also getting married, so now his fiancée and I can go ring shopping together!

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I love the picture of your Pug - Stanley makes that face with his lip stuck in his lower teeth all the time and I just love it!!!

I''m leaning toward a cushion cut, probably from Jeff White, in a lighter-medium blue. I was toying with the idea of a Richard Homer sapphire, but ultimately I think I''m a more traditional sort of girl and I''m not sure that I would *love* a concave cut as much as a traditional cut stone.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats! That paper-weight of a ring is awesome!!!

I can''t wait to see which direction you go with your sapphire!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 4:05:55 PM
Author: laurel25

I''m leaning toward a cushion cut, probably from Jeff White, in a lighter-medium blue. I was toying with the idea of a Richard Homer sapphire, but ultimately I think I''m a more traditional sort of girl and I''m not sure that I would *love* a concave cut as much as a traditional cut stone.

Ooooh, it sounds like it''ll be amazing! I love lighter blue sapphires. The band I''m having made will have light blue (periwinkle-ish) sapphires in it.

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 4:27:12 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Congrats! That paper-weight of a ring is awesome!!!

I can''t wait to see which direction you go with your sapphire!
Thanks! And that''s exactly what the ring actually is - a paperweight!!! Mr.L knows about my jewelry obsession and knew how much joy getting to pick out my ring would be for me, so I knew that whatever he proposed with would not the be "the" ring, and I''m totally happy with the crazy giganto ring!

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 4:49:23 PM
Author: EBree

Date: 9/15/2008 4:05:55 PM
Author: laurel25

Ooooh, it sounds like it''ll be amazing! I love lighter blue sapphires. The band I''m having made will have light blue (periwinkle-ish) sapphires in it.
I can''t wait to see your band! I''m thinking something cornflower blue-ish colored. I like a more sparkly stone as opposed to a more velvety looking stone, if that makes sense.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Ohhhhhh, congratulations on your engagment!!! And congratulations on choosing a sapphire for your engagement stone!!!!

We will be more than happy to help you locate that perfect stone and setting! What kind of setting are you looking for? What size and shape stone would you like? What is your overall budget?

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 7:51:17 PM
Author: Upgradable
Ohhhhhh, congratulations on your engagment!!! And congratulations on choosing a sapphire for your engagement stone!!!!

We will be more than happy to help you locate that perfect stone and setting! What kind of setting are you looking for? What size and shape stone would you like? What is your overall budget?
Thank you and thank you!!! I am tending to like settings with small side stones (pavé or shared prong) best because I really want the sapphire to stand out. So far I like

- the Common Prong setting from James Allen http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/ring/item_58-2801_design.asp?module=setting

- the Petite Open Cathedral from WF - http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Petite-Open-Cathedral_1211.htm

- the Petite Diamond Ring from WF - http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Petite-Diamond-Ring_1207.htm

- the Sleek Line Pavé from WF (maybe with milgrain added) - http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Sleek-Line-Pave_1184.htm

- the Milano from Knox - http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=264&rn=1624&action=show_detail

Right now I'm leaning a little more toward the Milano for three reasons - 1) it's very close to the Ritani Endless Love w/o Halo, which I really like, but this one is much more affordable, 2) they work with palladium, which I'm really considering for the metal, and 3) I'm in MN, so I can run down to Minneapolis and actually see & try on their settings in person, which would be really nice.

Also, for the sapphire, I'm thinking about a 6mm or so square cushion cut in a lighter medium blue. I don't have any strong feelings against heat treating, and will probably look for a stone that has been heated, since that will bring the cost of the stone down some. I'm more concerned that it's a good color, cut, and that it's eye clean. My overall budget is negotiable at this time, but I'm probably looking to spend $2500-3500 total with $1000 (give or take going to the setting) and the rest going to the stone.

E B

Ideal_Rock
My favorite is the Milano! I think it''d be gorgeous with a cushion center.
30.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on you engagement! Quite a rock you have as a place holder
2.gif

I am sure a sapphire from Jeff white will be beautiful. With him, it is best to wait for the one you really want.

Here is just another suggestion

Harmony WF

Also, just FYI, ritani works with WG and palladium, they just don''t advertise it. Pearlman''s is a site that sells ritani, and I know at least one person that has gotten the endless love with halo in palladium.

Congrats again!

cmarie

Rough_Rock
WOW. I have heard of using Ring Pops or temporary ring settings, etc. as placeholders but I think this is the best I''ve seen! :) Have fun picking out your special ring!!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I too like the Milano the best, and I''ve heard Brian is great to work with. Did you know he sources gemstones too? Here''s the link to what he currently has. I''m sure he''d be willing to help you find the perfect stone within your budget.

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 9:19:14 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Congrats on you engagement! Quite a rock you have as a place holder
2.gif

I am sure a sapphire from Jeff white will be beautiful. With him, it is best to wait for the one you really want.

Here is just another suggestion

Harmony WF

Also, just FYI, ritani works with WG and palladium, they just don''t advertise it. Pearlman''s is a site that sells ritani, and I know at least one person that has gotten the endless love with halo in palladium.

Congrats again!
Thanks! I didn''t know that Ritani would work in palladium, I''ll have to keep that in mind! And I do like the Harmony from WF as well!

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
cmarie: Thanks!

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 10:03:50 AM
I too like the Milano the best, and I''ve heard Brian is great to work with. Did you know he sources gemstones too? Here''s the link to what he currently has. I''m sure he''d be willing to help you find the perfect stone within your budget.
Yes, I did know that Knox does quite a bit of business with gemstones and I have thought about talking to them, but from what I''ve seen on their site, I think that it will be a little harder getting a really good cut stone. I might email them to see what Brian has in stock and what they can get.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Dutton''s Diamonds has this very pretty stone. It is oval instead of cushion, but about the right size, color, is from Sri Lanka, and is untreated! I think it looks beautiful!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a picture of the stone I linked.

SA00177_a.jpg

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 10:17:17 AM
Dutton''s Diamonds has this very pretty stone. It is oval instead of cushion, but about the right size, color, is from Sri Lanka, and is untreated! I think it looks beautiful!
That is gorgeous and definitely falls well within my budget! It is the perfect color too! I''m not against an oval either, I just tend to like more round-ish ones (like this one) rather than elongated ovals.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
And if you want one that is more cornflower color, this one fits the bill at quite a nice price!

B3023_1.jpg

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 11:09:48 AM
This one is from The Natural Sapphire Company. It is slightly smaller than the one from Dutton''s, but is the cushion shape you wanted.
LOL! You have great taste!!! I''ve been eyeing that sapphire from NSC for a while now - it''s basically the only one from them that I''ve been able to find that I truly love, but I guess having an untreated stone isn''t *that* important to me, so if I can get a heated stone that''s a little bigger, I''d rather do that.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I just have to throw my 2 cents in - I ADORE this setting from Knox.
1158_1_DRimage.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Oh - I wanted to tell you that I got a quote from Pearlman''s on a Ritani setting in Palladium and it was way, WAY more affordable than I thought!

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 2:58:11 PM
Author: geckodani
Oh - I wanted to tell you that I got a quote from Pearlman''s on a Ritani setting in Palladium and it was way, WAY more affordable than I thought!

Oh, I do love that baguette setting from Knox! I think I want my wedding band(s) to sit a bit more flush that would that would allow though. I''m okay with a gap, but I think that one would have a huge gap.

Do you mind telling me how much the Ritani in palladium was? If you don''t want to, that''s fine to, I can email them and get a quote as well.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
$560 for the Crown Setting I''m debating over in SMTR.
1.gif

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 11:40:29 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady

OK can I just say this is HILARIOUS!!? Your FI has a fabulous sense of humour. Good for you! LOL Too silly.. I still have the ring Steve made out of a straw.. its priceless to me. Congratulations sweetheart, are you going to try and get a Jeff White sapphire?
31.gif
Thanks! He does have an awesome sense of humor - it''s one of my favorite things about him! So far I''ve emailed Jeff White, Knox Jewelers, & Lesley from WF offered to look into some sapphires for me when I emailed asking some questions about a couple of their settings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results