shape
carat
color
clarity

I get to choose a piece of my grandmother's jewelry-- show me your heirloom jewelry pieces!

SparkleRookie

Rough_Rock
My vote is also for something that you won’t lose easily. I have my great-grandmother’s ring, and I love that it’s been worn by her, her sister, my grandmother, my mom, and now me. It’s over 100 years old and can’t be worn daily (my jeweler recommends no more than 2-3x a week so I stick to that and take great care of it), but it makes me happy every time I wear it.

It’s the sapphire and OMC halo one below.

36317308-9913-4A4E-86B1-AFCCC500A17E.jpeg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My grandmother is in her early-mid 90s and has decided that she'd like me to have first choice among her jewelry pieces. If it's something she wears regularly, she will keep it until she passes and if it's something she doesn't wear often she will gift it to me now. She has three sons, 5 granddaughters, and a grandson. I assume everyone will get something special as my grandmother is very fair. However, I thought it was sweet she wants me to pick first-- we have a really close relationship.

I tend toward something that she wears daily, as that would have more sentimental value to me since I saw her wearing it frequently. She usually wears a few different rings-- diamond solitaire engagement ring with a small, sparkly diamond, a gemstone ring, and then a smaller diamond ring she got as a child that needs some repairs. Or I could look for a pair of earrings that might have less wear and tear and be able to be worn on really special occasions.

My grandma on the other side passed away a few years ago and I really wanted one of her rings. However those went directly to her daughters, one of whom is my mom, and will be passed to us later. I ended up getting a watch that is real gold that had belonged to her mom and was passed on to her, and a pin. There are a few other pieces I have of hers but I don't wear them, just keep them for the memories.

Just curious what advice you all would have about family heirloom jewelry-- do you wear it, or keep it for the memories? Would you want to have an everyday piece or something for special occasions? Would love to see other PS-ers heirloom pieces as well.

As your grandmother is still alive, why don’t you let her choose the piece for you. You can ask her why she chose that particular piece and you will probably get a history of the piece and why it is special to her and why she wants you to have it. It will be a memory associated every time you wear it.

empliau

Shiny_Rock
I inherited some of my mother's jewelry - we chose, in turn, and at the end were choosing a little randomly. Somehow I chose a weird (to me) diamond ring with a lot of gold. I never even knew there was an epaulette cut. At least that's what I think it is.
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 16.22.14.png

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I inherited some of my mother's jewelry - we chose, in turn, and at the end were choosing a little randomly. Somehow I chose a weird (to me) diamond ring with a lot of gold. I never even knew there was an epaulette cut. At least that's what I think it is.
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 16.22.14.png

This is beautiful & fascinating! Care to share more pictures?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And an irradiated green diamond, which I rather like, but is too big for my hand and I can't imagine the cost of resizing with all the tiny diamonds surrounding. Mom did love to sparkle.

Screen Shot 2023-03-31 at 13.30.49.png

ALL of it & in particular the gold ring with the unusual diamond! You have inherited some beautiful things & I love the Elvis ring :kiss2:

empliau

Shiny_Rock
My mom's pride and joy, at least one of them - she said that this necklace contains all the natural colors of sapphire. They're real sapphires, but whether it's really all the colors I couldn't say.
20200106_145746.jpg

empliau

Shiny_Rock
My mom wore this often, so I wear it sometimes even though it's a little big for my finger, because it reminds me of her. Although if I had an unlimited jewelry budget I'd be tempted to see what Caysie could suggest for the three ovals:
Screen Shot 2023-03-31 at 13.48.35.png

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As your grandmother is still alive, why don’t you let her choose the piece for you. You can ask her why she chose that particular piece and you will probably get a history of the piece and why it is special to her and why she wants you to have it. It will be a memory associated every time you wear it.

I adore this idea. It’s a perfect plan.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results