shape
carat
color
clarity

I found the ruby I always wanted

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
E8E85F68-6501-4B14-BC6C-1821512D6B66.jpeg 5429B5A1-AAFF-402E-88DA-2EA8F59E8BE0.jpeg You could buy a temporary gem holder ring.
You have to take due care with the gemstones using such a clamp style holder. You don’t want to chip the girdle with heayhands - some people even pop a bit of clear tube or wax over the prong ends just to protect the gems girdle.
You lay the gem, table down, on a solid surface and by gently pressing the rings sides the prongs open apart. You then position the gem between that gap and GENTLY and slowly release the pressure on the ring so the prongs slowly close in to hold the gem.
Then you can sort of get an idea of how a gem will look on your finger.
They are only like $5 from Betterthandiamond.com.
Like this.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may look worse in that particular room because of the type of bulbs used. A stone can look totally different in incadescent vs flourescent vs LED vs CFL lighting. (I had to stop looking at my stones indoors when my husband first replaced all our incadescent bulbs with CFLs :rolleyes: but I figured the money we saved on bulbs could help justify my jewelry spend :whistle: Fortunately, he's now buying LEDs). With CS, most stones don't look their best in all lighting and the important thing is that they look good in the lighting where you will spend most of your time wearing.

I have one room, with yellow LED lights, and under them all my stones look different. Of interest, my friend bought bluish LEDs, and they bring out red in the stones. They advised me to go to Home Depot with lines of LED lamps and find the "favorable" ones for my stones.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

How 'bout this - WWW ?

I prefer an even brighter red that this (prudish) shop calls 'pinkish' - somewhat like this roval www. I have not looked over the entire inventory - there is allot. Many stones are not symmetrical cut, but quite a few are. I have exchanged some correspondence but not bought from this place; they were accomodating re. certification etc. Perhaps useful to keep in mind...

Last edited:

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
The lighting in my house all use the same bulbs. I think maybe it's the position of the bulbs, and the colors of the walls (beige vs white). I think some rooms have white bulbs and others have the standard orangey-yellow and I never noticed (and I can't check til I get home). There's only been two days of partial sun where I live and I missed full sun on both days!

Those are pretty AV, but I am not looking to replace this one if I decide to send it back (also please don't make my wishlist bigger :(()

Last edited:

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
The verdict is in: I decided to keep this ruby! It doesn't blare red indoors but is a nice deep red color. Outdoors, it's jolly rancher red, especially in the sun. I haven't gotten to see it with a tweezer or temporary ring holder because they would be delivered too late, but I tried my best with my nails.

I think I was thinking with fear, that it wasn't really the ruby I always wanted. And the first time I saw it it looked almost black. But I kept looking at it and it really is the pure even red color I always wanted. No pink, no purple (maybe just a slight hint in some lighting), just red. I love that it's emerald cut because I can see the color without glare yet it still has some sparkle.

Yes I love my pad now, and soon they'll be sharing a case so I carry them around and whip them out every so often.

If anyone's interested I will get some pictures of it outdoors and in the sun up when I can (I always get out of work late).

Out of curiousity, do you see some purple in it? Not sure if I'm just imagining it. It's so slight.

Btw @Burmesedaze I appreciate that you took the time to reply when you usually don't. I appreciate different opinions because that's how we learn. I too have a different taste from everyone else here. I drool at the same things but I also have an eye for what's considered imperfect.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Shijitake I wonder if you ever took a look at this in person?
https://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/1.03ct-ruby-ring-j4899-/

I ask because you live close to NSC, and I've always liked the look of this ring, even though I still prefer my e-ring ruby to the NSC emerald cut. It's been on the NSC website for the longest time, and I wonder whether that's because the ring and setting (bezel, not easy to take the ruby out without destroying either the gemstone or setting) is not to people's tastes.

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
@Shijitake I wonder if you ever took a look at this in person?
https://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/1.03ct-ruby-ring-j4899-/

I ask because you live close to NSC, and I've always liked the look of this ring, even though I still prefer my e-ring ruby to the NSC emerald cut. It's been on the NSC website for the longest time, and I wonder whether that's because the ring and setting (bezel, not easy to take the ruby out without destroying either the gemstone or setting) is not to people's tastes.

That's a really pretty ring! I love the setting. NSC is not a storefront and does not have their sapphires and jewelry laid out in glass cases. So I didn't see this. If I ever go back I'll request to see it. All I know is that they restock their jewelry by finding a similar stone and setting it the exact same way. So they don't have handfuls of the same ring like department stores do and the item you see on the site is the exact same one you will get when you buy. If you saw and remember the necklace I wanted, the photo is different now. So it may have been a different ruby when you first saw this ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results