carat
color
clarity

I found the ruby I always wanted

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
June15RubyI.gif June15RubyII.gif

Unheated, 1 carat, ~7 x 4 mm

It's unheated, and the pure, blood red color I always wanted. Maybe a tad purple? I love the cut. I don't even care that it doesn't scintillate or whatever, I love the color. Pictures will be up when I get it.

Also, just wondering why no one bought it sooner?

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your purchase. The material of the ruby is rare and fine, just the cut does not appeal to me, and to boot it's not an easy calibrated size to be able to fit into a semi-mount.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
June15RubyI.gif June15RubyII.gif

Unheated, 1 carat, ~7 x 4 mm

It's unheated, and the pure, blood red color I always wanted. Maybe a tad purple? I love the cut. I don't even care that it doesn't scintillate or whatever, I love the color. Pictures will be up when I get it.

Also, just wondering why no one bought it sooner?
that colour is amazing. Nothing useful to contribute than that!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice.
With Rubies it’s always about the colour!
Nothing else really matters. Well, maybe origin, a Burmese is worth a song and dance as well!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the color! And that clarity is unbelievable. I think the ruby glow is partly from tiny rutile that makes rubies less clear, but you will have the advantage of beautiful “water” in your stone. Part of the glow in rubies comes from fluorescence, so see if you can capture that in the sunlight. Enjoy!

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
I was actually wondering if there were any reason that I shouldn't buy it and was going to make a post, but I was so scared someone else will somehow find it (thanks to another post I made earlier). It's far above my budget atm, but I knew if someone else bought it before me (which tends to happen with gems I like) I would just die inside (and pine and cry for a long time).

At its price 3k+, it only comes with an AGL brief. Should I ask for a full certificate?

https://www.thegemtrader.com/gems-ruby-sapphire/101-ct-unheated-mozambique-ruby

Reactions: AV_

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it’s unheated, that’s all you need to know.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful. For me, the AGL brief would be sufficient. I have done business before with Brad and he has a great eye for gemstones, really has a passion for them. Your ruby is special.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, it's beautiful! :love: Can't wait to see pics!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful :love:. Hope you enjoy it.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
The color is great :kiss2:. Now set some of these stones so you can enjoy wearing them!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Addressing why no one purchased it sooner- I guess because it was meant to be yours=)2

But honestly, not everyone is looking for the same type of stones at the same time, thankfully! Rubies simply don't blow my dress up, as my Grandpa used to say. Not that I wouldn't take one given, but I simply won't spend the required $$ for a nice one. And as you told me before, you aren't interested in spending your $$ on spinels, which have a big piece of my heart. Different strokes!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I felt the same way about my paraiba, wondering why nobody had purchased it earlier. I also feel that some gems are meant to be yours. Others may not be looking for that gem or in a position to drop the money on that gem. I'm looking forward to your real life shots, as you have a rare and beautiful emerald cut ruby.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wonder whether it looks like that in all lighting, or whether it goes dark in situations. While I find Brad's photos accurate, I also have found that like many vendors, his lighting tends to be ideal so that in hand it can often look different and darker.

I agree with others that it appears to be quite silky and therefore may have a great glow about it. The tradeoff is that the crystal aspect of the stone will not be wholly present, so you likely will not get much sparkle. I hope you love it when it arrives.

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
peacechick, that's my next step. I overspent on stones and now I will save up to have them set :) It may not be for a while because of the overspending :/

Mrs Strizzle, that's a funny saying from your grandpa lol I haven't done my research yet on spinels and why they're desirable, but I do want some roughs for my (future) collection. Btw whatever that purple stone is on your profile is very pretty.

voce (And Mrs Strizzle), it's funny you say that, because I was originally looking for a blue sapphire, and looking at rubies and emeralds second. I was about to buy a color change (blue-purple) from top gem but it sold :( I didn't think I'd find my dream ruby so soon though.

minousbijoux, it does say "dark red ruby" in his site. I hope it's not much darker and really is my dream color. I can't see the silk. Is silk desirable in rubies? Call me bad but I didn't my homework not normal of me on rubies (which is not normal for me). I just saw it and thought "omg, I need it", which doesn't happen too often with rubies. I don't mind not having sparkle, in fact, emerald cuts are one of my favorite cuts because of that. It just shows off the color without "distraction". I like sparkle, but it's not my priority.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you go to page 115 of the thread, "Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone" on March 17, 2018 Boerrum Biddy has posted an example of a crystal or gemmy ruby. Compare the translucence of it to your ruby and you will notice a silky or velvety appearance to your gem. There is nothing wrong with either. Some people prefer the sparkle of gemmy stones while others prefer the soft glow of silkier stones.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hope this ruby thrills you just as much when you see it in person. Please post more photos when you receive it.

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
I hope so too!

I think I see the silkiness. I think this is what I saw when I said I like translucent/opaque-ish stones.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
:wavey: delish pomegranate hard candy! :cheeky:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
let us know what you see IRL!

passions4purples

Rough_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous! A great choice!

How will you set it? That perfect red color would look amazing in yellow gold...

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
I like that it looks like candy! haha!

I was thinking of setting it in something white, since I once set a red sapphire into yellow gold and it gave it an orangey tint (as can be expected when yellow and red mix). I want to preserve its red color with no tints of orange or pink.

Last edited:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like it. It looks like a yummy and precious Jolly Rancher.

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone! That is a good price for an untreated ruby. I wouldn't bother with anything other than a Gem Brief. That is just as good as a prestige report if all you're wanting is confirmation that it is untreated.

ChanterelleJ

Rough_Rock
Premium
Congrats, @Shijitake ! I love your ruby. I have eyed this one many times :geek2: if you love that deep red color (I do) I'm sure you couldn't have bought a better one

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CONGRATULATIONS -- hope it knocks your socks off when you see it in person :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results