shape
carat
color
clarity

I FOUND IT!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Sorry if this is a bit wordy, I tend to get into detail - especially when I'm so excited about a project!! :twirl:

In case past threads have been missed, I started searching a few weeks ago for a large stone to set in a solitaire. My engagement ring is a 1.79 ct (? - I've actually forgotten its exact weight!) antique cushion from JbEG, and it's set into a version of Leon's Heidy, r4105. Believe it or not :rolleyes: it seems that the three-sided pave isn't exactly made for every day wear. I find myself banging it up at work and want to have a sturdy solitaire to wear perhaps 70% of the time instead.

I first determined: I want a big stone. I had no idea even which cut I preferred - there are so many stunning ones, lovely in their own ways. After trying on a variety shapes, I settled on round, but was still torn between a H&A stone or an OEC. I don't actually own any ideal cut rounds, so I thought I was missing out by not having one. :nono: Photos here certainly highlight how incredible they are. :cheeky: I visited another B&M shop and spent some time trying on large ideal cut RBCs. They were nice, but not what I wanted. I kept putting them on my ring finger next to my antique cushion and really disliking the difference. There was no doubt they sparkled like mad, but it was too sharp for me - I truly adore the giant flashes of fire from antique stones. So that sealed the deal, I am certainly NOT missing anything by choosing an antique stone over a modern ideal cut. :praise:

Having worked with Erica in the past, I didn't hesitate to contact JbEG and see if they had anything that would suit. I simultaneously touched based with Perry at Leon Mege and Adam at Old World Diamonds.

Perry - he has access to some really, really gorgeous stones. I believe he said his cousin cuts them. He sent through two, with stunning lightbox setup videos. Both appeared to be modern cut cushions, but the facets were styled in the fashion of an antique stone. They had both received ideal cut grades from AGS and their light performance was incredible. He was very fair with pricing and negotiated on my behalf with a third party cutter when necessary. However, the return period available simply would not suit my situation. I needed an optional extension and that was unable to be granted. I would not consider this a shortcoming on Perry's part and I understood the limits in place. However, for me, it meant I could not proceed with a purchase from him.

Erica - as always, a wonderwoman. :appl: She was prompt, detailed, endlessly accommodating, and very honest in all of her communication with me. My decision to not purchase from JbEG this time was simply due to them not carrying the right stone at the right time. There were a few that were top contenders, but none of them ticked ALL the boxes at the same time, IYKWIM. The one with the right facets was too small, the one that was the right size didn't grab me (despite my best efforts to convince myself that it did). Definitely two thumbs up for Erica, but the RIGHT stone was elsewhere.

Adam - a really wonderful guy to liaise with, when I first contacted him he was vacationing in Europe. He still took the time to answer questions and message me back and forth a few times before he returned to NYC. Upon getting home, he immediately searched his inventory and came back with a suitable possibility. It was a bit smaller than I was hoping for, so he returned to sift through his giant pile o' diamonds (this is how I imagine it anyway! :lol: ). The next one morning I had a "good news and bad news" email. Good news being he had found a huge, eyeclean, "perfectly cut" antique cushion, the bad news being it was out of my budget. After determining that I did indeed love it, he offered me a generous discount and the stone came in at the very, very top penny of my budget. :appl: In the time since, working out certification or not, settings, shipping, etc, Adam has been a dream. Honestly, a great guy to work with, personable, prompt, and really switched on to my wants and needs.

So the decision has been made and the stone has been found. I was absolutely set on an OEC since I already have a cushion, but my heart went all pitter-patter when I saw this one. :love: I must admit I am concerned it might be TOO big (gasp! but I am only a 3-3.25!). If it is, I will consign it and wait for the right OEC.

We'll get the facts out of the way, and then a photo.

Weight: 4.65 carats - it honks! :naughty:
Color: estimated at GIA L, but is top light silver so faces up incredibly bright
Clarity: eyeclean from any distance, estimated as SI1. Clarity-setting inclusion located in a corner, not under the table.
Dimensions: 11.16 x 10.37 x 6.82
Depth: 63.4%
Table: 49%

And here she is. I'll wait until I receive her to name her. :lickout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=026BGO6tGTw&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vlz_m-IzvU&feature=youtu.be

4.65.jpg

Now...to wait find a setting for her (please feel free to post photos of you favorite plain cushion settings!)...and another 2 weeks to see her in person!! June 2 can't get here soon enough! :wacko:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
HOLY COW! :love: That's one AMAZINGLY HUGE honkin' stone you'll have justginger!!! WOW! Beautiful! i love the warmth it shows, and the big bold facets - gorgeous! Yes indeed, June 2 can't come soon enough!!!

Congratulations on finding "the ONE"! :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow ginger, that's a gorgeous stone! I can see why you are thrilled - size 3 finger? it's gonna be quite the rock for sure! Congrats!

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
It is gorgeous :love:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
WOW just WOW!!! :o :love: :love: Almost 5 cts of just plain WOW!! This is going to make an amazingly beautiful ring Justginger! I'll be counting the days until June 2nd with you!! :appl: Congratulations on finding her!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wowsers! You're going to need to start doing finger excercises to support that honker of a stone on your tiny finger!! It's gorgeous! Can't wait to hear your impressions once you receive it!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good LORD :love: :love: :love:

My eyes.... will never be the same.... :-o I can't wait to see this baby..sitting on your finger!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, amazing!!! :love: It looks like it is in such perfect condition that I would have thought it was newly cut!

Are you making the sale price contingent on the lab report coming back as GIA L? I wouldn't commit to price without that. Plus, why would you have to consign if you found it too large? Surely they have a return policy?

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Oh my! That is one heck of a rock! ;))

It is a beautiful antique cushion, the faceting is amazing. Not to mention, thr finger coverage is TDF :naughty:

Congratulations on finding THE one, it was definitely worth the wait and search!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on finding that HONKER of a stone!! Lucky!

I nominate the new VC 6 prong tri-wire solitaire for that baby!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1337533705|3199741 said:
Are you making the sale price contingent on the lab report coming back as GIA L? I wouldn't commit to price without that. Plus, why would you have to consign if you found it too large? Surely they have a return policy?

I agree with all of this!

It is spectacular, no doubt! I admit I think it is really funny that you donèt wear your 1.76 because it is not practical, so the obvious solution -- An 11mm cushion diamond!! :lol: SUPER practical!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Holy crap that's a HUGE rock!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on finding such a stunning stone! I love Zocotiki's suggestion of the bostonjeff's Leon solitaire :love:

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
:love: :appl: Love it! I can't wait to see it on your finger! :)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about setting it thru Victor Canera - much like jlmf's 25 year upgrade? (and current jewel of the week!) The open prong work really shows off the beauty of her stone... I guess it all depends on ideas and quotes and ... budget!

Such fun deciding how to set it!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, guys. I'm so excited about her. :bigsmile:

I am not making anything contingent on what the cert comes back as because a) there is not enough time to have her certed (unless I spend $700 on a rush one) and b) the price I have been given is so excellent, it would literally have to come back as an R/I2 before I would feel it was unacceptable. I seriously doubt Adam would misrepresent it to that degree on accident. My JbEG is not certed either, so I'm not concerned. Independent appraisal in Perth will have to suffice, though I will certainly consider sending it to GIA the next time I'm back in the States for any length of time.

Yes, there is a generous return period that I will use only if the stone is truly unattractive. Otherwise, with the pricing of diamonds in Australia, I would actually make a tidy profit by consigning here. I've consulted an antique jeweller who will either consign at a ~15-20k profit for me, or simply purchase it himself at a 10k profit for me. :$$): No sense sending it back with numbers like that!

And yes, D, it does sound a bit silly to replace with such a large stone! :lol: But to explain (and perhaps justify!), it's not my stone that is taking a beating, but all of the melee and super-fine milgraining. I want a solid, plain solitaire that I don't have to worry about ruining the detail of. :bigsmile: The setting now will probably be very plain, stock-ish, as there is no time for custom work. Perhaps in a year when my bank balance recovers a bit, Mike is just around the corner in NZ... :naughty:

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Wow! That's a HUGE, GORGEOUS stone! As far as setting, something similar to Leon's R1060.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...now I am second guessing certing. :errrr: Do you guys think it is a must do? I've spent a fair bit of time looking at old stones and *think* I can estimate color fairly well. But on a stone this large, perhaps it is a must-have. Gah, I've really tapped out my budget - a setting AND a $700 cert makes me cringe a little (especially since we're leaving on a 5 week overseas holiday in a mere 8 days!). It can't NOT be done, but what do you guys think? :confused:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous and huge diamond.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was looking for an emotie to best show how I feel about that diamond. Here it is....

drool.gif

Kasey3

Shiny_Rock
WOW! That is one gorgeous stone. It looked pretty in the first video-but then I watched the second one and WOW-WOW-WOW! Congratulations! I seriously doubt you will be returning-consigning-or selling!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous, HONKIN diamond :love: :lickout: :o

It appears like it most likely O/P/Q in color though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so if you think the price is still fair for Q-R color and SI clarity, then I guess you are okay. But if GIA or EGL rush grading is $700, I'd probably have it sent to David Atlas or Neil Beatty and at least get a basic appraisal before having it sent to you.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you planning on reselling this beauty??? If this is your forever stone (well, in terms of PS forever... ;)) ) then wouldn't the cert only be a necessary evil for reselling it? It sure sounds like you are over the moon happy with it as is and GIA or EGL or anyone won't change how you feel about the diamond --- save the $700 for your trip and enjoy!

(but that's just me... :twirl: )

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
justginger|1337547624|3199863 said:
Hmmm...now I am second guessing certing. :errrr: Do you guys think it is a must do? I've spent a fair bit of time looking at old stones and *think* I can estimate color fairly well. But on a stone this large, perhaps it is a must-have. Gah, I've really tapped out my budget - a setting AND a $700 cert makes me cringe a little (especially since we're leaving on a 5 week overseas holiday in a mere 8 days!). It can't NOT be done, but what do you guys think? :confused:

I would also be happy with an appraisal from someone like Dav Atlas in this case. I am a little wary because if this diamond came in on your budget on $25k I recall from another thread it is VERY inexpensive for a stone so large. Shockingly inexpensive. Maybe you found the deal of the millenia ;)) But reality suggets otherwise. I would personally want an appraiser's opinion of value, an EGL-USE lab report, or similar, in a case like this before doing anything. I do not believe time constraints should come into play on $25k purchases.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1337552971|3199904 said:
Are you planning on reselling this beauty??? If this is your forever stone (well, in terms of PS forever... ;)) ) then wouldn't the cert only be a necessary evil for reselling it? It sure sounds like you are over the moon happy with it as is and GIA or EGL or anyone won't change how you feel about the diamond --- save the $700 for your trip and enjoy!

(but that's just me... :twirl: )

Enerchi, but what if the appraiser or lab report suggested the diamond was less valueable than the price she was paying? That is a pretty important reason to consider these things before buying on a purchase of this magnitude.

I agree it does not look GIA L color to me, and perhaps more P/Q. Nothing wrong with that color, but it affects value considerably and should be considered/assessed by an expert.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto to Dreamer's comments. Never ever would I recommend anyone buying an uncertified, unappraised (by independent appraiser) diamond of significant value, especially one costing $25k. And I don't think a 4 ct. L cushion is going to cost $25k.

It is not that long ago that I recall someone here buying an antique stone and was already having it SET when they got the information that the diamond was lower than expected in color. That turned out to be a mess. The best of vendors can be optimistic but simply mistaken about color. And we cannot tell whether we are really going to like an O-P-Q color stone without seeing it in person.

I think you are rushing because of your trip, but what if it comes the day before you leave and you are unhappy with the color? You'll be in a major time crunch trying to decide and having to return it the same day basically!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for being the voices of reason, D and DS. The stone was NOT 25k, however it wasn't tooooo much more. There's no sense cutting corners with such a relatively small amount of money when dealing with such a large purchase. I will contact the men suggested to get a feel for pricing (both for the service and the rush shipping in both directions), and compare to the GIA pricing. GIA and OWD are in the same building and the service is same day, so perhaps that will still be the most practical route to take.

As for timing, I am actually receiving the ring from my parents during the trip. I will then have at least 2 weeks with it while traveling before having to decide to keep it, or send it home with them for return. Adam has been very accommodating with the return period. :))

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks beautiful justginger! I cannot offer advice on the certification issue, but for that size if the price was $25k-$30k, it still seems a bargain! I am not sure how much ZL's diamond was but that one is an O from memory? Does anyone recall what that was on JbEG for?

Face up it looks amazingly white/silver, esp as from the sides you can see the colour.

I hope you get it! I want to see!

(edited to add Dolly is much better now! She had me worried for a few days she was so sick. Poor little poppet.)

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GlamMosher|1337559418|3199957 said:
I think it looks beautiful justginger! I cannot offer advice on the certification issue, but for that size if the price was $25k-$30k, it still seems a bargain! I am not sure how much ZL's diamond was but that one is an O from memory? Does anyone recall what that was on JBeG for?

Face up it looks amazingly white/silver, esp as from the sides you can see the colour.

I hope you get it! I want to see!

(edited to add Dolly is much better now! She had me worried for a few days she was so sick. Poor little poppet.)

ZLs 4.09 O/P was 29K I believe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results