shape
carat
color
clarity

I fixed Grandma's ring

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of you may recall that I acquired MIL's jewelry hoard last year, upon her passing.
Grandma's ring was in it. But the stone was missing, reset long ago into something else.
Anyway, I hated that it was broken and unloved, so I replaced the stone with a decent CZ that I had in my stash.
Grandma was married in 1931, so the style is indicative of that period, with the illusion mounting.
IMG_20220903_142342255~2.jpg

I vacillated about how to attach a new stone. The old stone was literally dug out by a previous jeweler. There was no material left to work with in the way of prongs, so I had to rethink the whole thing. I decided to solder on a sort of bezel and then carve it away till I was left with four tab prongs. It worked out OK.

I must tell you that creating tiny tab prongs this way without all the fancy tools and other aids that professional jewelers have is a real challenge!
IMG_20220903_150959797~2.jpg

IMG_20220903_172807352~2.jpg

IMG_20220903_180813189.jpg

IMG_20220903_181511134~2.jpg

I have had no luck figuring out the maker on this piece. Lang University is awkward to navigate and I couldn't find anything.
Thomas Wood rings a bell, but I don't know.
Maybe @YadaYadaYada would know!
IMG_20220903_181551128~2.jpg

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is amazing! Pretty ingenious how you went about making those prongs. I haven’t had a chance to search that hallmark but if I find anything, I’ll let you know.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 You amaze me with the way you come up with projects like this, and succeed. I could never think of that, or pull it off. It looks great.

Thanks @Lookinagain !
I spend a lot of time sitting at the bench staring at broken jewelry or loose stones until the lightbulb goes on in my head! I also look at lots of jewelry online to see how things are constructed, in order to make repairs.
One of my big pet peeves is when vendors don't show the sides and back of a piece of jewelry that I am researching.

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Great thinking! The updated setting looks beautiful.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I love your solution - the bezel and tab look wonderful! Congratulations!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@RetroQT @YadaYadaYada @88_star @PreRaphaelite @luvmysparklies @MrsBlue @mtriplee @bright&shiny
Thanks for all the nice comments!
I was going to put a colored stone in there. I tried garnet, sapphire, chrome diopside and mint green tourmaline. But none of them looked right, only the CZ. This ring needed to keep that vintage engagement ring look.
If I had a spare diamond, I would've used it!

well its a job well done and it puts Grandma's ring back into rotation which i think is the most important thing
think how pleased she would be that you are wearing it again

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know it’s funny how you mentioned that a colored stone just didn’t look right. Anytime I see a ring of this style with a colored center it just looks all wrong to me, like you can tell it’s not supposed to be there. The CZ was the perfect choice for this.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know it’s funny how you mentioned that a colored stone just didn’t look right. Anytime I see a ring of this style with a colored center it just looks all wrong to me, like you can tell it’s not supposed to be there. The CZ was the perfect choice for this.

I agree. Whenever I do see this style with a colored stone, I usually assume it's a replacement.
I really wanted the mint green tourmaline to work, but it looked so "blah" compared to the bright CZ.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results