shape
carat
color
clarity

I Finally Reset my 3.55ct OEC!! Antique Platinum Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
So ever since I got my big OEC I''ve bitched about the setting. It came with the setting- it was definitely not what I would have chosen- and although it grew on me enough to tolerate for a couple years, I never loved it, and always wanted an antique setting for it. Of course, antique settings for larger stones are few and far between; and the few I found were really pricey. I finally, finally found one! It''s a lovely filigree platinum setting, looks Edwardian to me, with a lot of piercing. The melee is really, really, really teensy, and mostly rose cut- I love the effect, it looks almost like marcasite and really doesn''t compete with the center stone.

Anyway, I was not sure if it was possible for my OEC to fit in it- I mean, Larry Winters who does my bench work is definitely a miracle worker, but a really delicate antique bezel setting could be a PITA. Well, it was a huge PITA for him, but he persevered and it looks AMAZING. Apparently it cracked in three places, a bunch of melee fell out and it wasn''t sizeable at all. I can''t even tell where the cracks were, that''s how perfect the repair is.

The bezel is built up a lot from the original- the amethyst that was in there hung out the bottom quite a bit, and Larry totally understood that I didn''t want the culet of my stone resting on my finger. There''s plenty of clearance actually. He handmade the new platinum bezel, and it is really delicate and lovely. I will probably get it millgrained eventually but it looks great as-is, so no rush.

The major difference I noticed when I picked it up, was the color. The M color looks almost totally... white. Yeah, if you scrutinize you see a bit of off whiteness, but the difference is striking. Before, with the halo of smaller, whiter diamonds, it was always obvious that it had body color. Now, it just faces up white. Everyone who''s seen it reset has said something about how different the color looks, without me saying a word, which surprised me quite a bit. To my eye (and my DH''s as he''s reiterated several times) it looks larger too. I always felt the halo detracted from it somewhat, but I wasn''t aware of quite how much until I saw it nekkid.

The other cool thing about a bezel, besides the fact that I''m thrilled my stone is better protected, is that the pattern of the OEC pops *so* much more. Prongs apparently interrupted the neat snowflake pattern quite a bit, and now you can see it so much clearer.

The old triple halo setting has passed on to a new home already. It was a lovely setting, just not what *I* wanted. I''m completely thrilled with the new one, though! It has all the fun antique stuff I love going on, but it doesn''t detract from the center stone- which is a really tough balance, as I''ve discovered. So often the ornate settings end up being all you see, and that wasn''t the effect I wanted for my OEC. But I''m really thrilled with how the detail on this setting is kind of... subtle and restrained, despite the intricacy. The small size of the melee is definitely a big part of that.

OMG I hate my ancient camera. My good one is packed still somewhere, but this one... this one sucks. The file size for some reason is always HUGE despite the crappy low res images.

newbezellgk1.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock

newbezellgk2.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock

newbezellgk3.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock

newbezellgk4.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a redo of the pics of the setting with the amethyst still in it. You can see how much lower teh bezel was alltogether.

amethyst1lgksm11.jpg

sparkledaze

Rough_Rock
Wow! Your new setting looks amazing! I always heard that it was almost impossible to re-use a bezel setting. Your jeweler did an awesome job. Do you have any "before" pics of your diamond in its original setting?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is really beautiful!!! How did they get the amethyst out? Did they have to break it to not tear up the
bezel?

Really gorgeous ring!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
That''s beautiful!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that''s an impeccable job done on that bezel, and zOMG that OEC looks HUUUUGE!!!!!! Gorgeous, gorgeousness!!!!

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Omg, it's gorgeous! The setting is so pretty!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! I love the bezel setting for that diamond. Congrats!
36.gif

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that is really gorgeous, your center stone really sings in this setting!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone :) Yep, the amethyst was powdered to get it out. Lol, Larry offered to give me the powder- he''d saved a little pile of it; I really had no plan to reuse it so I didn''t care too much. Yeah, I was realllly impressed he did such a nice job retrofitting the setting. (He has done some amazing stuff for me over the years, including resizing a filigree setting from 7 to 2.5; he''s really an amazing bench. He does the work for a lot of the antique jewelry dealers in the Seattle area.)

I do have some "before" pics- the original setting was well made, but just not my style. I''m thrilled it has a happy home now too; it certainly deserved it.

Here''s some better pics of the setting, but with amethyst too.

amethyst2lgksm22.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock

amethyst5lgksm33.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Original OEC setting.

3_4oec18ed1111111.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
One last one.

3_4oecsun1411111.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Finally got a hand shot small enough to attach. Oh, and as you can see above, I got (biggish) speedbumps in it. That was the only way to size it down, what with the cracked shank and all. I've been really pleasantly surprised with them; despite the fact that the ring is definitely loose on me, the bumps keep it from spinning quite well and I can't feel them at all. I have no clue what size it is; the measuring stick thing shows it at a 4, but that's because of the bumps- I think it's a 6 something, and I wear a 5, so it's pretty large on me- the bumps to a fabulous job of securing it.

newbezellgk64.jpg

April20

Ideal_Rock
I am in awe. It looks amazing. Congrats on finding a setting you love!

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
LGK, love the new setting. We need more macro shots of that beauty!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That gorgeous stone looks beautiful in it's new setting! I really love it, looks so pretty on your hand!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great reset! Took a lot of "vision" & trust that it would work out and you were right! The setting reminds me of a vintage Tiffany I saw once on here -- I think Mssalvo had a version made even. Maybe I''m remembering wrong. So many rings over the years ..LOL! Enjoy! Looks comfie too even!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful!

I think the setting complements the stone really well - both are vintage-y and antique-y without going overboard.

It was definitely worth all that bezel-raising trouble
36.gif
36.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I get lost in that stone. It''s beautiful. I''m so glad everything turned out well for your re-set!! Great job!!

freefly

Shiny_Rock
Oh my gosh, it''s beautiful! More pictures please.
36.gif

Rose-E

Shiny_Rock
What a perfect home for a beautiful diamond! Congrats.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
WOW!! Beautiful!!
36.gif
30.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your jeweler did a wonderful job, I love your diamond in this setting! I am so happy for you!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my! The new bezel setting is just gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results