shape
carat
color
clarity

"I could care less..."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 3:01:28 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
is the word ''koi'' plural or should it be ''Kois'' ?
koises DF has lots of koises. The koises like to eat little fishies.
3.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 6:30:41 PM

Date: 3/5/2010 3:12:46 PM
Author: monarch64

Is this a trick question?
no,members on the koi forum been arguing over S or no S
20.gif
methink ''Koi'' is plural,so no S.
9.gif
No aruging at all? The fish forums I read are hard core. Super scary. They are manical lecturers.

Even though a bunch of grammerical stuff bugs me, I''m sure I''m terrible at messing all kinds of words/phrases up. The only time I''m really picky is when *books* have errors.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I get a little crazy when my students ask vague questions with too many pronouns and then get frustrated because I don''t understand. "Why did you do that to that one but not to the other one?" could mean "Why did you multiply one fraction by 3/3 and the other one by 4/4?" Just say what you mean!

My pet grammar peeve is "lose" spelled as "loose" or "loser" as "looser." When I read that someone wants to loose a few pounds I get a visual of the person prying off that extra flab with a crowbar or something. I guess I should loosen up!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2010 6:42:16 PM
Author: MC

koises DF has lots of koises. The koises like to eat little fishies.
3.gif

Yeah, so I googled "plural of koi" and Merriam-Webster says it''s KOI.

It doesn''t bother me that much when someone uses "s" or "es" when it comes to animals. I think it''s kind of cute!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhh...and as far as the original topic of this thread, I forgot to answer. I really don't care about this one (the "I could/couldn't care less") for some reason. I think it's because I use "I don't give a rat's a$$" to express the same sentiment.

ETA: MariaD, I can understand your dismay over the use of too many pronouns in a sentence rather than using the nouns! It's even worse when I see it in writing. Very confusing.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
does it bother you when a member post...

the diamond weight 1.25 "carrots" or 1.25 "karats"
9.gif

portia

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t read the entire thread so someone may have mentioned this one already, but I can''t stand it when people don''t know when to use seen vs. saw. For example, ''I seen that...'' rather than ''I saw that...'' My BIL does that and it drives me crazy! And I also agree with the spelling of separate. It''s a silly thing, but it drives me crazy when it''s spelled seperate.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2010 9:12:34 PM

the diamond weight 1.25 ''carrots'' or 1.25 ''karats''
9.gif
on a diamond forum? *wince* IRL I don''t think I''ve ever seen that - thankfully!

niccia

Shiny_Rock
"Loose" instead of "lose"
20.gif
I see this one all the time.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

9.gif

Yes.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 9:25:17 PM
Author: portia
I haven''t read the entire thread so someone may have mentioned this one already, but I can''t stand it when people don''t know when to use seen vs. saw. For example, ''I seen that...'' rather than ''I saw that...'' My BIL does that and it drives me crazy! And I also agree with the spelling of separate. It''s a silly thing, but it drives me crazy when it''s spelled seperate.

Portia, this reminds me of one of the Anne of Green Gables books! One of the characters, Diana was talking about how when she gets nervous, "I seen..." pops out instead of "I saw..."
3.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2010 10:44:33 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

9.gif

Yes.
how about... "Gin-u-wine" diamond?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 11:05:14 PM
Date: 3/5/2010 10:44:33 PM

Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

9.gif

Yes.
how about... ''Gin-u-wine'' diamond?

Riesling? Gewurztraminer? As long as it''s not a Chardonnay
3.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 7:10:36 PM
Author: kenny
I really could care more.

LOL!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
how about when people whose first language is not English think that the word "funny" means that it was fun instead of amusing or silly.

"We had a great time fishing yesterday. The day was funny."

unless someone was telling jokes, no, it wasn't funny. it was FUN.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to resurrect this thread because yesterday DH referred to his mother as "in static". He meant ecstatic.
3.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2010 3:14:19 PM
Author: puppmom
I had to resurrect this thread because yesterday DH referred to his mother as ''in static''. He meant ecstatic.
3.gif
LOL! Never heard that one before!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2010 5:22:21 AM
Author: noelwr
how about when people whose first language is not English think that the word ''funny'' means that it was fun instead of amusing or silly.

''We had a great time fishing yesterday. The day was funny.''

unless someone was telling jokes, no, it wasn''t funny. it was FUN.
My mom used to do that all the time. She also uses she/her/he/him wrong all the time.

For example, she''ll say "But her told me that..."

It''s part of the learning process
5.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2010 8:52:04 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Due to the prevailing functional illiteracy of more recent generations, I''ve been forced to lower my expectations - substantially. At this point I''m content that they are at least attempting to communicate in English.
12.gif

Sometimes I''m not sure they are communicating in English.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dislike all the above incorrectly used/spelled words and phrases.

I also detest the misuse of the words I and myself and me.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2010 9:54:03 PM
Author: missy

Oh, I hate misuse of ''myself.'' How about, "Please give the papers to Sue or myself." Aarrrghhh!!!!!!!!
32.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2010 11:46:23 PM
Author: Laila619

Oh, I hate misuse of ''myself.'' How about, ''Please give the papers to Sue or myself.'' Aarrrghhh!!!!!!!!
32.gif

Exactly!
Even very smart people make mistakes like this all the time and it drives me nuts.
14.gif

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog/archives/162697.asp

Since his election, the president has been roundly criticized by bloggers for using "I" instead of "me" in phrases like "a very personal decision for Michelle and I" or "the main disagreement with John and I" or "graciously invited Michelle and I."
32.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2010 8:28:00 PM
lol @ ''I says.''

Is he Italian?
2.gif

My uncle says ''Dem guys'' instead of those guys.
For a second I thought she meant "the Democrats".

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2010 9:36:18 PM
Author: lulu
Okay, I''m irritated by the use of ''compliment'' when the appropriate word is ''complement''. Can I get an AMEN?
I think "a compliment" is something nice that you say to a person, like "complimente" in Italian.
To "complement each other" is, probably, to work in concert (and I think it is most often used for inanimate objects?), not to exchange niceties.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first saw someone spelling "night" as "nite", I thought that the person had dysgraphia. Later my boss explained me it was totally appropriate in modern English. I think things are changing because of instant messages. "U", or "2", for example.

It is amusing to hear how some people use foreign phrases to sound "educated". For example: a parent, admitting an unruly kid to a hospital, "either R.. has a problem, or our parenting is wrong...In any case, we'd like to see him au naturel". (He also pronounced it as "au natural"; what he actually meant was "in controlled environment, not at home").

Or, "gaffe", a French word (sorry, I do not know how to switch to French alphabet and the word is misspelled) has an accent at the end which indicates how to spell it. Most often, I heard Americans pronounce it as "gaff". Am I wrong?

Or, "route" in "en route" should be "rut", not "raut".

BTW, I find many mistakes in my own postings. Partly it has to do with me being halfway blind (I used to be naturally far-sighted but now my vision is about +2-2.5). I can not get used to the fact that I need eyeglasses and always lose or forget them. So if you see too many mistakes in my postings, especially in spelling - tell me to put my eyeglasses on! (I am not wearing them now).

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/10/2010 9:21:21 PM

Date: 4/9/2010 11:46:23 PM

Oh, I hate misuse of ''myself.'' How about, ''Please give the papers to Sue or myself.'' Aarrrghhh!!!!!!!!
32.gif

Exactly!
Even very smart people make mistakes like this all the time and it drives me nuts.
14.gif

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog/archives/162697.asp

Since his election, the president has been roundly criticized by bloggers for using ''I'' instead of ''me'' in phrases like ''a very personal decision for Michelle and I'' or ''the main disagreement with John and I'' or ''graciously invited Michelle and I.''
32.gif
Hooray!
I was taught to say "My friend and me", but when I moved to the US many people started correcting me - saying that it should be "my friend and I". I believe my son''s English teacher corrected him once, too. So I thought, what''s the big deal, and started saying "my husband and I". I guess English is undergoing evolution, like any other language.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess English is undergoing evolution, like any other language.

But it's still not correct to use I that way and it still drives me crazy LOL. I think people use it because they think it sounds right but it just isn't right!
32.gif

The text messaging craze causing people to spell words incorrectly even when not text messaging is also just not right. Spelling properly is just NOT that difficult!
KWIM
3.gif

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My blood curls with the way people use "seen". "There was a really big cat over there" and with the response "yeah, I seen it."
38.gif
The other one that tops the charts with me would be" We might could"
23.gif
... As in, "Would you like to go to the mall today?" response "We might could have lunch and then run to the mall". Really!? I "might could" vomit. I really have no words to explain my physical reaction to that saying.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2010 8:37:18 AM
Author: Strawdermangrl
My blood curls with the way people use ''seen''. ''There was a really big cat over there'' and with the response ''yeah, I seen it.''
38.gif
The other one that tops the charts with me would be'' We might could''
23.gif
... As in, ''Would you like to go to the mall today?'' response ''We might could have lunch and then run to the mall''. Really!? I ''might could'' vomit. I really have no words to explain my physical reaction to that saying.

LOL I''m right there with you! What is going on with people and the English language? This is just basic stuff. I''m by no means perfect when it comes to grammar but the way many people speak today is egregious.
14.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to add that all my sentiments regarding this topic pertain to people whose first language is English. So, this does not include anyone whose 2nd language is English. For those people who have taken the time and energy to learn the English language kudos to you because I know it is not an easy one to learn!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results