shape
carat
color
clarity

"I could care less..."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ten extra credit points to the first person who identifies ALL of the errors in my last post.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2010 8:52:04 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Due to the prevailing functional illiteracy of more recent generations, I've been forced to lower my expectations - substantially. At this point I'm content that they are at least attempting to communicate in English.
12.gif

why can't the English teach their children how to speak?
this verbal class distinction by now should be antique.
if you spoke as she does, sir, instead of the way you do,
why, you might be selling flowers, too.

1.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 9:04:27 PM
Author: jas
Date: 3/3/2010 9:02:39 PM

Author: Haven

Eh, i dunno.

I could really care less if people speak rightly.

It don''t really matter if your talking correct, as long as people get you.

Irregardless, it ain''t none of my bidness how people talk, that''s a personnel choice.

Accept, if I would of known people were so prim, I''da left this site a long time ago.

Anyway, this website is the best site of all times.

Its getting late, so Ima go to sleep now.

Its all good, people. Chillax.

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

(Too much clapping? My bad)

Word.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2010 6:22:26 PM
Author:goCubsgo
Does this drive anyone bonkers?! It''s I couldn''t care less. By saying you could care less, you''re conveying the exact opposite of what you want to convey.
Do you personally have any grammar errors that drive you nuts? I also cringe at ''your'' when someone means you''re.
26.gif
nope, i couldn''t CARE LESS !!

yes, i have bad grammers
25.gif
it haven''t stopped me from posting yet!!
25.gif

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I''m irritated by the use of "compliment" when the appropriate word is "complement". Can I get an AMEN?

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
"Irregardless" drives me nuts. Can''t stand it and I have a friend who says "irregardless to"...

The other one that bothers me is "less" used to refer to crowds as in "there were less people than last year". I was taught that there are always fewer people and less money, food, rain, etc. I confess that I am not sure of the proper terminology but I know it when I see it (or hear it).

Finally, I am giving up on this one but my kids always use "done" to describe being finished. I think it comes from all of the computer games, sites, programs, etc. that use the "done" button at the end of a task. I was taught that done means well-cooked and that when something is completed one is finished.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2010 9:54:17 PM
Author: Gayletmom
''Irregardless'' drives me nuts. Can''t stand it and I have a friend who says ''irregardless to''...

The other one that bothers me is ''less'' used to refer to crowds as in ''there were less people than last year''. I was taught that there are always fewer people and less money, food, rain, etc. I confess that I am not sure of the proper terminology but I know it when I see it (or hear it).

Finally, I am giving up on this one but my kids always use ''done'' to describe being finished. I think it comes from all of the computer games, sites, programs, etc. that use the ''done'' button at the end of a task. I was taught that done means well-cooked and that when something is completed one is finished.
I think fewer is for plural, and less is for singular objects.

Fewer kids
Fewer pets

Less money
Less grass

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fewer = Things/people/items that can be counted (use with count nouns)
Less = Amounts that cannot be counted (use with mass nouns)

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Laila and Haven. That helps to clarify. At least now I know why it bugs me!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
It REALLY bugs me over on the Babycenter.com forums. I''m not exaggerating when I say that every other thread title there is misspelled.

Perhaps it doesn''t really bug me as much on PS because I **know** the folks here and I see it as a friendly quirk!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i know most PSers (not Dancing Fire) are well educated,so you guys better not let me catch you with bad grammers/spellings or else i''ll be
2056435t23vtdelto.gif

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I could care less or more but why?

always expect least what you expect most and you won''t be disappointed.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 9:36:18 PM
Author: lulu
Okay, I''m irritated by the use of ''compliment'' when the appropriate word is ''complement''. Can I get an AMEN?
sometimes people just are not exposed to something - up until this very moment I didn''t know they were different spellings and spell checker sure as heck wouldn''t have told me I was incorrect. Once exposed hopefully we become changed. That said I know a lot of people who still use the word alot even though the squiggly red line and a lot of exposure should have given them a clue blue by now. It did take me until I was in my early 20''s to learn that intents and purposes wasn''t intensive purposes as was mentioned earlier in this thread. I''m all for being annoyed - but I also can see how easy it can be to not be put in a situation where we learn it. I only learned intents and purposes because I read it in a book. Of course ''big old jed in a lineup" was always what I heard instead of big old jet airliner.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I could care less just confused me.
I thought it meant yes, I could care less about this (but not much less). As in, a watered down version of I couldn''t care less or something.

I didn''t realise it was just an error, I thought it had some special meaning!

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
Cehrabehra
So it''s not "Big Old Carolina" ?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep that one drives me mad!!! It shouldn''t, but it does.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm totally guilty of saying it and you know what? I couldn't care less about it. I've got too much other stuff going on in my life to be bothered by it. And for the record I consider the use of an incorrect phrase to be substantially less offensive than a phrase like " Did I **** in your pudding, love?", which just lacks class on all levels.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 6:43:58 PM
Author: Kaleigh
There have been many threads on this.
2.gif

Yup... been there. This one about pet peeves in general was started on January 27th.

Recent Pet Peeve Thread

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m just going to leave this right here.

i-could-care-less.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect, Lauren!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow.

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
I am English but lived in the States for about 19 months in the early 90''s and one of the most confusing phrases I used to hear was ''I had went to......'' bizarre to me, why was the had bit there? We really are separated by a common language. I went to community college and caused hours of entertainment for other students with things I said. Car park, bonnet (for hood), boot (for car trunk), and many more. Very happy memories of some wonderful, warm and welcoming people

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 11:04:50 AM
Author: Samantha Red
I am English but lived in the States for about 19 months in the early 90''s and one of the most confusing phrases I used to hear was ''I had went to......'' bizarre to me, why was the had bit there? We really are separated by a common language. I went to community college and caused hours of entertainment for other students with things I said. Car park, bonnet (for hood), boot (for car trunk), and many more. Very happy memories of some wonderful, warm and welcoming people

Who said that?? It''s supposed to be "I had gone to..." isn''t it?

I''m a former English major but I''m pretty bad at the mechanics of grammar, I have to admit. I go with the "it sounds right" school of grammar/writing and I definitely couldn''t tell you about the different parts of a sentence
3.gif

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
The one that left me in stitches the first few times I encountered is "please bare with me". I''ve always wondered if it was spelt wrongly on purpose.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2010 1:45:46 AM
Author: Ashleigh
The one that left me in stitches the first few times I encountered is ''please bare with me''. I''ve always wondered if it was spelt wrongly on purpose.

Not if it''s on your wedding night.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2010 1:11:59 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Date: 3/4/2010 11:04:50 AM
Author: Samantha Red

Who said that?? It''s supposed to be ''I had gone to...'' isn''t it?

I''m a former English major but I''m pretty bad at the mechanics of grammar, I have to admit. I go with the ''it sounds right'' school of grammar/writing and I definitely couldn''t tell you about the different parts of a sentence
3.gif

Haha yup! I speak Tamil fluently, from hearing people speak it around me from childhood - I know what I want to say and I can get it out just fine, but don''t ask me to deconstruct it, or tell you what exactly is what! No clue at all.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2010 1:45:46 AM
Author: Ashleigh
The one that left me in stitches the first few times I encountered is ''please bare with me''. I''ve always wondered if it was spelt wrongly on purpose.
Haha!

I once saw someone on a message board write "Wa-lah!" when she was trying to say "Voila!" I thought that was funny (but cute).

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 9:02:39 PM
Author: Haven
Eh, i dunno.
I could really care less if people speak rightly.
It don''t really matter if your talking correct, as long as people get you.
Irregardless, it ain''t none of my bidness how people talk, that''s a personnel choice.
Accept, if I would of known people were so prim, I''da left this site a long time ago.
Anyway, this website is the best sight of all times.
Its getting late, so Ima go too sleep now.
Its all good, people. Chillax.
I''ll try....though I have to admit that I do not know what prim means
33.gif
so I can''t ''correct'' it.

Eh, I don''t know.
I couldn''t care less if people speak correctly.
It doesn''t really matter if you''re talking correctly, as long as people understand you.
Regardless, it isn''t any of your business how people talk, it''s a personal choice.
Except if I would have known people were so ____, I would have left this website a long time ago.
By the way, this website is the best website of all time.
It''s getting late, so I''m going to go to sleep now.
It''s okay, people. Just relax.

How did I do, Haven?

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 7:05:33 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I''m totally guilty of saying it and you know what? I couldn''t care less about it. I''ve got too much other stuff going on in my life to be bothered by it. And for the record I consider the use of an incorrect phrase to be substantially less offensive than a phrase like '' Did I **** in your pudding, love?'', which just lacks class on all levels.

20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results