shape
carat
color
clarity

I color grade

Budgiesmuggler

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone

THanks to the help from this site I've narrowed down my diamond choice to a GIA graded round, excellent, 1.26, I, VI1. The HCA grade is 1.2.

Here is the report: http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=1129367374&weight=1.26

I am intending to mount in a platinum or white gold 4 prong setting.

My only concern is the I color grade. The jeweler is saying I should look for grades G or below, but this stone has excellent HCA and cut ranking. Should I be concerned about the color?

thanks

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Once it's set and under normal viewing conditions, I doubt it will bother you, but it depends on how color-sensitive you are. Good cut masks color by throwing brilliant flashes at you, and I color is not that visible to most people, especially face-up. I can see face-up color in a J but not an I. It's sometimes visible as a hint of warmth from the side view, but certainly not yellow. I have an I color princess and can't tell the difference from my G round when I look at the top view. Those who are particularly color-sensitive can notice face-up color in an I, but you usually have to see it next to a higher-colored diamond to tell the difference.

Here's a video that may help: http://vimeo.com/3288695

First I'd compare it side-by-side with other well-cut stones from your jeweler, and it's likely that you'll see just how subtle the color really is. Also, does your jeweler have a decent return policy? I'd get the diamond and look at it under various lighting conditions.

ked123

Rough_Rock
I upgraded my 1.1 G VS2 to a 1.9 I VSI (with medium blue fluorescence) about a year ago (both stones were triple X cut). I cannot see any color at all in my stone (it is a Tiffany solitaire). I have been very pleased with my upgrade. I never got compliments on my old stone (it was exactly the same style) and people compliment my new ring all the time.

For me, I was a good choice. I also have an H VS1 diamond pendant which I love.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
You can't tell color or eye-clean status from this kind of photo. It's something you really have to see in person. JA has a great return policy, so I say go for it! It also gets the coveted quad-excellent on the HCA.

ideal5555

Rough_Rock
I might be blind but I can't see a difference betwen my F and I color when set :)

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've had both an I and an E and honestly, in photos I can't tell a difference. Perhaps if I compared them side by side, but on their own, to me, both are very white. Here a photos of both...see if you can figure out which is which (no peeking at my past threads to give you the answer!) :lol:

resizednewring4.jpg
antique%20oval%20close%20up.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results