shape
carat
color
clarity

I can’t choose! Which sapphire is better?

Danna

Rough_Rock
I’ve consulted with a gemologist and jeweller in my country who stocks two very beautiful certified sapphires. I’m purchasing for my engagement ring.

One is a certified sunset paparadscha (no treatment, natural colour!) The other is a beautiful heated blue Ceylon.
The blue has some zoning, but I’ve consulted about how this zoning can be minimised once it’s set and it doesn’t bother me. I thought I saw a window in the paparadscha but the jeweller has told me there is none.
The blue is $4500 AUD, the paparadscha is $5000 AUD, and this is a deal the jeweller/gemologist has given me. He had excellent reviews and I feel very comfortable with him.
Please let me know what you think! C034FBA7-8601-4D1F-86C9-293BF12B9980.jpeg 7CF58072-6B26-4F3F-9295-27605C94DED8.png 0084FEF0-F210-40B7-A177-2C63E3ED77E3.png 344F312E-32FB-44A8-9953-234DC4643319.png 703A188B-2F6B-46E2-818A-BF6CD5AF2EC1.jpeg

Danna

Rough_Rock
That doesn't look like a pad sapphire to me at all. It looks brown/orange. Where is the report from? I find the blue much more appealing

Really?!? The report is from CGL labs: http://www.cgl-labs.com/. What classified a pap? I’ve heard it changes depending on lab.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pad sapphires should be pink/orange. I see a muddy brown and wouldnt personally pay for that color. The blue color is nice, but I am afraid it will have areas of large extinction which will look blackish or very dark.

What is your ideal color of stone?

Danna

Rough_Rock
Pad sapphires should be pink/orange. I see a muddy brown and wouldnt personally pay for that color. The blue color is nice, but I am afraid it will have areas of large extinction which will look blackish or very dark.

What is your ideal color of stone?
That’s good to know. Gosh, this is so hard! Every time stone I think I’m settling on, I post here, and it ends up not being worth it! I’ve been searching for months.
I love any blues, teal, purple, violets, and padparaschas that aren’t too light/low in saturation. I think the hard thing is I am looking for a stone with good size (~9mm above in length). I have no issues with heat treatment. Got any tips where I can source a good stone?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Totally agree with @lovedogs

The “pad” to me is a hard pass unfortunately- it’s very brown and the cut isn’t nice to me. Big window. It doesn’t have the trademark pad coloration - whether or not labs disagree, a true pad has obvious orange and pink. This really doesn’t seem to - the designation of “pad” is coveted so demands a higher price tag - I’ve seen some outrageous examples of what some people call pads - but a reputable lab should reliably align with what you see visually for the name to be worth it- if the pink is there, it’s nearly indiscernible and seemed to have squeaked by

The blue has a much nicer color overall, but yes the extinction would bug me. I think it’s pretty common in certain fancy cuts for colored stones like pears

What is your budget? Can you show some visual examples of colors you like? As we’ve found out - some people have different ideas about what a color by name should look like!

Last edited:

Danna

Rough_Rock
Okay Pad is OFF the table. I suppose my top option at the moment is the blue. In a way, I almost like the zoning. I really enjoy stones that have different shades of the colour depending on the angle. That might sound stupid but is just my opinion. My only concern is how dark the stone might look in shade! Is there a way ro set a stone to enhance the brightness?
Get ready for a plethora of photos! Please exclude the muddy green or muddy yellow colours in these images - not my style. Also, any good PAD I am very keen on also. I love a wide range of colours; anything icy or rich or good saturation or multi coloured! I’m just having such a hard time finding a stone that doesn’t have some major downfall. My budget is $5000 AUD.

Attachments

• 31A5E314-2C15-4365-820E-B4FBBD2D15F4.png
    31A5E314-2C15-4365-820E-B4FBBD2D15F4.png
    671.7 KB · Views: 12
  • F6A507B9-57EB-48AF-928C-F06B126B22D4.png
    F6A507B9-57EB-48AF-928C-F06B126B22D4.png
    695.1 KB · Views: 13
  • C5639374-2950-4BE6-BD17-B48906C25602.png
    C5639374-2950-4BE6-BD17-B48906C25602.png
    543.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 9A70BB05-8DC6-4F24-87B4-3A88A644F3B7.png
    9A70BB05-8DC6-4F24-87B4-3A88A644F3B7.png
    730.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 836A7FC2-CF71-4427-8221-5B4BACD27FD7.png
    836A7FC2-CF71-4427-8221-5B4BACD27FD7.png
    669.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 4FB0AAAE-B0BD-429D-8C2F-C0EF30843125.png
    4FB0AAAE-B0BD-429D-8C2F-C0EF30843125.png
    711.4 KB · Views: 10
  • AEAD40A5-F00C-410B-AD5D-84FF06A3EE79.png
    AEAD40A5-F00C-410B-AD5D-84FF06A3EE79.png
    416.7 KB · Views: 9
  • E6800C4F-48A6-4F73-BBA2-F2F5EAC4B3AF.png
    E6800C4F-48A6-4F73-BBA2-F2F5EAC4B3AF.png
    747 KB · Views: 8
  • 4DA67162-4C7C-4071-A0A4-DE784F1E6EEE.png
    4DA67162-4C7C-4071-A0A4-DE784F1E6EEE.png
    684.3 KB · Views: 8
  • E822E057-E6CB-45AD-8550-347B05232771.png
    E822E057-E6CB-45AD-8550-347B05232771.png
    505.1 KB · Views: 10

Danna

Rough_Rock
Totally agree with @lovedogs

The “pad” to me is a hard pass unfortunately- it’s very brown and the cut isn’t nice to me. Big window. It doesn’t have the trademark pad coloration - whether or not labs disagree, a true pad has obvious orange and pink. This really doesn’t seem to - the designation of “pad” is coveted so demands a higher price tag - I’ve seen some outrageous examples of what some people call pads - but a reputable lab should reliably align with what you see visually for the name to be worth it- if the pink is there, it’s nearly indiscernible and seemed to have squeaked by

The blue has a much nicer color overall, but yes the extinction would bug me. I think it’s pretty common in certain fancy cuts for colored stones like pears

What is your budget? Can you show some visual examples of colors you like? As we’ve found out - some people have different ideas about what a color by name should look like!

Hi! I accidentally posted my reply with image examples of colours I love as a new comment and not a reply! You can find it above. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Okay Pad is OFF the table. I suppose my top option at the moment is the blue. In a way, I almost like the zoning. I really enjoy stones that have different shades of the colour depending on the angle. That might sound stupid but is just my opinion. My only concern is how dark the stone might look in shade! Is there a way ro set a stone to enhance the brightness?
Get ready for a plethora of photos! Please exclude the muddy green or muddy yellow colours in these images - not my style. Also, any good PAD I am very keen on also. I love a wide range of colours; anything icy or rich or good saturation or multi coloured! I’m just having such a hard time finding a stone that doesn’t have some major downfall. My budget is $5000 AUD.

Gotcha - it seems like you like parti sapphires? That’s where there are zones of different color (ie polychromatic)

Extinction is another matter - it’s when parts of a gem blackout or go grey. Undesirable I think for anyone buying a colored gem. Because - why bother? You're buying for color!

Bright lively color for that budget and that size might be tricky to be honest - but I found one recently that is less saturated that I personally thought was lovely - great size, gorgeous cut, really clean, but only if you like lighter gems

https://www.thegemtrader.com/gems-ruby-sapphire/339-ct-burmese-bluish-violet-sapphire

IMG_5665.jpg

@LilAlex (I think) posted an educational thread about photo editing - and I strongly suspect that many of those photos from Caleb on IG are edited, or the iPhone itself is automatically enhancing photos.

My point is - he sells stones for enticing prices. I do think many are too good to be true. I do not think he offers returns either - not sure if that matters to you

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Some I dug up with Gemfix - they are all over the map and please note that not all are 9mm - I also left a buffer for duties / shipping and didn't look over $3400 USD - trade off for size are some grey tones, inclusions and silk - the issue with not avoiding substantial downfalls are the trade off for size + price at play to be honest - many people here (myself included) would rather have more saturation for less size

Blues

Icy blues & montanas
(note that Montana sapphires notoriously have some grey, the middle one has a lot of grey, you either like it or you dont - if you want a pure hue, maybe not the best option but I spotted some Montanas in your inspo pics)

Deep teal
(might be too dark - some teals can be muddy - others may need to weigh in)

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Last one so you don’t feel bombarded - it’s a curve ball because it doesn’t meet your size requirements at all.

But the color - OH THE COLOR - is to me, an ideal blue. Intensely vivid, a touch of silk... I am wholly biased because I frankly would buy this stone if I had an inch of budgetary leeway...it’s heated, $1850 USD and that includes shipping (at least to the US)

6D6BE00F-2C12-456E-B699-EEDF1B22DA5D.png
5BC78232-748A-4891-9829-0C163B95E581.jpeg

The vendor is based in Sri Lanka. I’ve purchased from him, he’s been delightful to work with...but returns would be extremely difficult

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Last one so you don’t feel bombarded - it’s a curve ball because it doesn’t meet your size requirements at all.

But the color - OH THE COLOR - is to me, an ideal blue. Intensely vivid, a touch of silk... I am wholly biased because I frankly would buy this stone if I had an inch of budgetary leeway...it’s heated, $1850 USD and that includes shipping (at least to the US)

6D6BE00F-2C12-456E-B699-EEDF1B22DA5D.png
5BC78232-748A-4891-9829-0C163B95E581.jpeg

The vendor is based in Sri Lanka. I’ve purchased from him, he’s been delightful to work with...but returns would be extremely difficult

Ooh this one & the blue Gemfix pear are so pretty!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know if anyone mentioned this above as I didn’t read all the comments, but blue sapphires go a bit grayer indoors, so it should be viewed in artificial light, as well as outside.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
They have some really nice sapphires and particolor as well.
I would check them out! A PSer(sorry, can't remember who) just bought a particolored and it's really pretty.
The cuts are great and the prices are better!

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
I learned the hard way to consider the color saturation of the sapphire when set. I bought a deep vivid blue oval sapphire loose. Once set in a enclosed semi bezel, the color definitely went darker.
This setting was not intended for a sapphire and originally had a diamond. The sapphire is in the design process of reset with David Klass. This is 1.68 ct sapphire faces up more like a 1.25 ct.
I have found that a smaller intense color sapphire stands out much more than a larger stone with less intensity. If your stone size parameters are due to finger coverage, have you considered a halo or another setting style that enhances the sapphire size?
Good luck on your search!

IMG_6527.jpg

Last edited:

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
Have you looked at some of the Parti colored sapphires sold by Johny Dyer?

Did a quick search for stuff >2ct oval sapphires with traditional flat faceting, link below. He has some unique and non-traditional cutting styles (concave facets, etc). I personally love his Trillion cuts, but set it to ovals since that's what you've been looking mostly at.

Prices are reasonable and there's usually a video for all the stones too!

Danna

Rough_Rock
Some I dug up with Gemfix - they are all over the map and please note that not all are 9mm - I also left a buffer for duties / shipping and didn't look over $3400 USD - trade off for size are some grey tones, inclusions and silk - the issue with not avoiding substantial downfalls are the trade off for size + price at play to be honest - many people here (myself included) would rather have more saturation for less size

Blues

Icy blues & montanas
(note that Montana sapphires notoriously have some grey, the middle one has a lot of grey, you either like it or you dont - if you want a pure hue, maybe not the best option but I spotted some Montanas in your inspo pics)

Deep teal
(might be too dark - some teals can be muddy - others may need to weigh in)

Thank you SO MUCH!!! This has helped me tremendously. I really adore both of the pears that you suggested. Do you know which one would be more desirable in terms of colour, cut etc?

Danna

Rough_Rock
Have you looked at some of the Parti colored sapphires sold by Johny Dyer?

Did a quick search for stuff >2ct oval sapphires with traditional flat faceting, link below. He has some unique and non-traditional cutting styles (concave facets, etc). I personally love his Trillion cuts, but set it to ovals since that's what you've been looking mostly at.

Prices are reasonable and there's usually a video for all the stones too!

Thank you! I'll definitely have a look at these!

Danna

Rough_Rock
I learned the hard way to consider the color saturation of the sapphire when set. I bought a deep vivid blue oval sapphire loose. Once set in a enclosed semi bezel, the color definitely went darker.
This setting was not intended for a sapphire and originally had a diamond. The sapphire is in the design process of reset with David Klass. This is 1.68 ct sapphire faces up more like a 1.25 ct.
I have found that a smaller intense color sapphire stands out much more than a larger stone with less intensity. If your stone size parameters are due to finger coverage, have you considered a halo or another setting style that enhances the sapphire size?
Good luck on your search!

IMG_6527.jpg

Wow, this is great to know. Thanks very much. Definitely won't be going for the blue then. Looks amazing outdoors but would probably look far too dark in the ring.

Danna

Rough_Rock
Gotcha - it seems like you like parti sapphires? That’s where there are zones of different color (ie polychromatic)

Extinction is another matter - it’s when parts of a gem blackout or go grey. Undesirable I think for anyone buying a colored gem. Because - why bother? You're buying for color!

Bright lively color for that budget and that size might be tricky to be honest - but I found one recently that is less saturated that I personally thought was lovely - great size, gorgeous cut, really clean, but only if you like lighter gems

https://www.thegemtrader.com/gems-ruby-sapphire/339-ct-burmese-bluish-violet-sapphire

IMG_5665.jpg

@LilAlex (I think) posted an educational thread about photo editing - and I strongly suspect that many of those photos from Caleb on IG are edited, or the iPhone itself is automatically enhancing photos.

My point is - he sells stones for enticing prices. I do think many are too good to be true. I do not think he offers returns either - not sure if that matters to you

This stone is also definitely on my shortlist, along with either of the pear Montana sapphires on gemfix you recommended me to. There's one more stone I'm looking at and I'd like your opinion on whether I should keep it on my shortlist, especially relative to the others. https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/912...bfd407b88f72c8c58dc5da8671e397534cc:912332372

Rogerio has excellent reviews and I very much trust his work. He's a precision cutter and has recut this stone himself. Please let me know what you think!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow ! @Danna
How excitting !
And congratulations

You have come to the right place for advice

i would say take your time, work on your favourite colour

i have a too dark saphire - not an ER and much less $$$ than your budget but it disappoints me so.
You don't want that with an ER

What setting are you considering?
(sorry if you have already answered this earlier)

I love the teal but to be honest (and im not a pink person) i love the idea of the pad and a pink ER
Ive always been so disappointed in most morganite ERs ive seen yet i want one ! A pad to be seems perfect - im sure you can find a better one

Good luck with your serch
and keep us all in the loupe ;)2

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you SO MUCH!!! This has helped me tremendously. I really adore both of the pears that you suggested. Do you know which one would be more desirable in terms of colour, cut etc?

Most folks would prefer the blue pear rather than a more grayish/steel tone of the Montana pear option. But gemfix is a great vendor and both look well cut.

Danna

Rough_Rock
Wow ! @Danna
How excitting !
And congratulations

You have come to the right place for advice

i would say take your time, work on your favourite colour

i have a too dark saphire - not an ER and much less $$$ than your budget but it disappoints me so.
You don't want that with an ER

What setting are you considering?
(sorry if you have already answered this earlier)

I love the teal but to be honest (and im not a pink person) i love the idea of the pad and a pink ER
Ive always been so disappointed in most morganite ERs ive seen yet i want one ! A pad to be seems perfect - im sure you can find a better one

Good luck with your serch
and keep us all in the loupe ;)2

Thank you so much! I've been searching for months. I started a complete novice and was just going to jump in to buying whatever pretty picture I found online. Luckily, I found this place and have received so much help and knowledge! I've got a shortlist of about 4 stones now, all of which are in this thread. I'm loving the blues (don't mind a lavender violet as well) with decent saturation.

For the setting I know I want a special diamond halo! I quite like a bit of asymmetry. The jeweller i worked with uses a very nice pale shade of 18k yellow gold, so I'll be going with that.

I've thrown out the idea of a pad. A lot of people have mentioned they are highly sought after stones with not much to offer visually. I think I just like the elitism of that stone, besides, getting a good one would be way out of my budget!

Danna

Rough_Rock
Most folks would prefer the blue pear rather than a more grayish/steel tone of the Montana pear option. But gemfix is a great vendor and both look well cut.

Thanks so much, this is really great to know. If you don't mind, I'd also like your opinion on this stone. This is one of the four stones on my shortlist, competing with the Montana sapphires and Burmese blue round above. https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/912...bfd407b88f72c8c58dc5da8671e397534cc:912332372

It's been cut by a very experienced precision cutter with a very good reputation. I'm very attracted to the colours in this stone.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much! I've been searching for months. I started a complete novice and was just going to jump in to buying whatever pretty picture I found online. Luckily, I found this place and have received so much help and knowledge! I've got a shortlist of about 4 stones now, all of which are in this thread. I'm loving the blues (don't mind a lavender violet as well) with decent saturation.

For the setting I know I want a special diamond halo! I quite like a bit of asymmetry. The jeweller i worked with uses a very nice pale shade of 18k yellow gold, so I'll be going with that.

I've thrown out the idea of a pad. A lot of people have mentioned they are highly sought after stones with not much to offer visually. I think I just like the elitism of that stone, besides, getting a good one would be way out of my budget!

You have me at asymmetry !
:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:
I sure do wish i had found this place earlier

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, this is really great to know. If you don't mind, I'd also like your opinion on this stone. This is one of the four stones on my shortlist, competing with the Montana sapphires and Burmese blue round above. https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/912...bfd407b88f72c8c58dc5da8671e397534cc:912332372

It's been cut by a very experienced precision cutter with a very good reputation. I'm very attracted to the colours in this stone.

I like this as well, and what colors *you* like are the most important thing. Both this and the gemfix Montana pear are nice and have this "steel" tone, but this one is more of a color change and doesnt have the greenish tones.

Danna

Rough_Rock
I like this as well, and what colors *you* like are the most important thing. Both this and the gemfix Montana pear are nice and have this "steel" tone, but this one is more of a color change and doesnt have the greenish tones.

Thank you!! I'm so glad to hear this. This is the first stone I chose myself that wasn't a complete flop!

The only other stone it's in competition with as well is this one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h23k14js7a9k4hl/Video Apr 13, 1 15 53 PM.mov?dl=0

This is a gorgeous colour change as well. Any thoughts?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!! I'm so glad to hear this. This is the first stone I chose myself that wasn't a complete flop!

The only other stone it's in competition with as well is this one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h23k14js7a9k4hl/Video Apr 13, 1 15 53 PM.mov?dl=0

This is a gorgeous colour change as well. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't call it a color change, but definitely has almost a bi-color look. Very pretty, but I'd be curious what it looks like when not in sunlight. I like the video from Rogerio because it's in shade so I feel like it shows the stone looking neither its "worst" or "best " , which I like. Which color/shade do you prefer?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results