shape
carat
color
clarity

I Am Shallow and Vain. Please Send Dust Anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to update all of you wonderful dust-senders: my skin is slowly improving! It looks like the steroid + brand-name Accutane are helping. With the exception of a flare-up in Mexico (I think it was the humidity), I have less active acne and the old marks are fading. I am noticing some scarring, but hopefully I can deal with that once the Accutane course is over. I will finish in May, about one month before the wedding.

Keep your fingers crossed that it keeps getting better! It would be so wonderful to have nice skin on my wedding day. I already feel a change in my confidence level and self-esteem since the cysts have gone down--I can only imagine how awesome it would be to have clear skin again.

Thank you so very much for your support, PS friends!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad things are improving! One thing you could ask your derm about adding is a sulfur-based facial wash called Plexion. I did a dermatology rotation in med school, and this was uniformly given to every patient we had with acne. It''s antibacterial/anti-inflammatory and shouldn''t worsen the irritation of your skin (although it rarely can). You would need a prescription.

I feel your pain...I never had acne as a teenager, but it''s been a persistent problem since college. I''ve been on antibiotics (minocycline or doxycycline) for YEARS, have tried various birth control pills, and am using 2 facial treatments daily as well as Proactiv (which I believe is no better than the regular department store stuff I was using before), and I STILL break out at least weekly, if not daily on bad days. I have never been on Accutane, but at some point I may need to ask my dermatologist about it. I have no desire to get pregnant (ever, but at least not in the next 5 years), so Accutane wouldn''t be so bad for me.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I am so glad to hear things are going better for your Kittybean! I hope you have continued improvement.
1.gif

Winslet

Shiny_Rock
Yay!
36.gif
I''m so glad to hear that clear skin is on its way to you, and that you are feeling so much better about yourself!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is great news! I am glad your treatment is helping!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Kittybean, just saw your update. Am so happy to hear your skin is improving!
36.gif

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Kitybean,

I just wanted to keep you posted. I went on a new skin regime and I have to admit, it really is working. I have been going to get what is called "medical microdermabrasion" at my local spa. They do a 30% peel on you face, then they take the micro machine and "sand off" the top layer of your skin, concentrating on the places where you have the most acne scarring. I also bought some skin care products from the spa, called Bioline and Swissline. So every day I use:

Bioline face gel (cleanser) http://www.bioline-jato.com/en/linea-viso/sottomenu2.php?id=274&prod=63&link=133
Bioline delicate care toner http://www.bioline-jato.com/en/linea-viso/sottomenu2.php?id=271&prod=63&link=133
SwissLine cell shock cream (super lightweight and has SPF and helps keep you skin matt) http://www.swissline.net/index.php?f=collection&task=details&id=1035&p=cs&s=ft
1 a week I put this AFAS serum on my face (which is concentrated AHA''s): http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.eskinstore.com/productcart/pc/catalog/AFA_Gel_Plus_AFF.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.eskinstore.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp%3Fidcategory%3D880%26idproduct%3D4645&usg=__Y3BXqv7oYp1qp8uBvODZbzkYLrc=&h=144&w=130&sz=3&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=lJ-vqV85WPg99M:&tbnh=94&tbnw=85&prev=/images%3Fq%3DAFA%2527s%2Bgel%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

My skins is already bout 50% better and it''s been about 2 weeks since I started. The products are very gentil and don''t dry out your skin like other acne meds. They also use a lot of AHA''s and natural fruit acids which really help. I have had acne all my life and I have tried everything on the market and this clearly has been the best products I have ever tried. Even proactive didn''t work as well as this. The home care stuff I bought cost a fortune (I would say about 300$ total) but I think they are going to last me quite long (maybe 2-3 months). Anyway - just thought I would share. I am pretty excited about the results already and I wanted to spread the news!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 11:04:42 PM
Author: ilovethiswebsite
Hi Kitybean,

I just wanted to keep you posted. I went on a new skin regime and I have to admit, it really is working. I have been going to get what is called ''medical microdermabrasion'' at my local spa. They do a 30% peel on you face, then they take the micro machine and ''sand off'' the top layer of your skin, concentrating on the places where you have the most acne scarring. I also bought some skin care products from the spa, called Bioline and Swissline. So every day I use:

Bioline face gel (cleanser) http://www.bioline-jato.com/en/linea-viso/sottomenu2.php?id=274&prod=63&link=133

Bioline delicate care toner http://www.bioline-jato.com/en/linea-viso/sottomenu2.php?id=271&prod=63&link=133

SwissLine cell shock cream (super lightweight and has SPF and helps keep you skin matt) http://www.swissline.net/index.php?f=collection&task=details&id=1035&p=cs&s=ft

1 a week I put this AFAS serum on my face (which is concentrated AHA''s): http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.eskinstore.com/productcart/pc/catalog/AFA_Gel_Plus_AFF.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.eskinstore.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp%3Fidcategory%3D880%26idproduct%3D4645&usg=__Y3BXqv7oYp1qp8uBvODZbzkYLrc=&h=144&w=130&sz=3&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=lJ-vqV85WPg99M:&tbnh=94&tbnw=85&prev=/images%3Fq%3DAFA%2527s%2Bgel%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

My skins is already bout 50% better and it''s been about 2 weeks since I started. The products are very gentil and don''t dry out your skin like other acne meds. They also use a lot of AHA''s and natural fruit acids which really help. I have had acne all my life and I have tried everything on the market and this clearly has been the best products I have ever tried. Even proactive didn''t work as well as this. The home care stuff I bought cost a fortune (I would say about 300$ total) but I think they are going to last me quite long (maybe 2-3 months). Anyway - just thought I would share. I am pretty excited about the results already and I wanted to spread the news!
Wow--I''m so happy this new regimen is working for you, ilovethiswebsite! It is such a fantastic feeling when your skin starts to improve. I hope it keeps clearing!

Thank you for sharing what''s working for you. I''m still on Accutane, so no AHAs for me until a month after I''m done, but I will seriously consider your regimen in a couple months when I''m done. I definitely want to try the microderm--I have heard such good things from people with acne-prone skin.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 9:56:53 PM
Author: jstarfireb
I''m glad things are improving! One thing you could ask your derm about adding is a sulfur-based facial wash called Plexion. I did a dermatology rotation in med school, and this was uniformly given to every patient we had with acne. It''s antibacterial/anti-inflammatory and shouldn''t worsen the irritation of your skin (although it rarely can). You would need a prescription.

I feel your pain...I never had acne as a teenager, but it''s been a persistent problem since college. I''ve been on antibiotics (minocycline or doxycycline) for YEARS, have tried various birth control pills, and am using 2 facial treatments daily as well as Proactiv (which I believe is no better than the regular department store stuff I was using before), and I STILL break out at least weekly, if not daily on bad days. I have never been on Accutane, but at some point I may need to ask my dermatologist about it. I have no desire to get pregnant (ever, but at least not in the next 5 years), so Accutane wouldn''t be so bad for me.
Jstar, I will ask my derm about the Plexion. I don''t know if I can use it on Accutane, but I will look into it as treatment for after. I want to keep my skin as healthy as possible after this treatment.

Accutane may be a good choice for you--definitely ask your derm about it. It has a LOT of side effects, so be prepared for ridiculous dryness and the possibility of joint pain, depression, nosebleeds, headaches, and a bunch of other stuff. They make you jump through a lot of hoops as a female because the government is extremely concerned (to put it mildly) about pregnancy on Accutane. However, the treatment is usually only 4-6 months long, and after a month after your last dose, you are okay to stop using the mandated 2 forms of birth control. Let me know if you have any questions about it! I''d be happy to tell you more about my experience.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Also, many thanks to Clairitek, Winslet, mscushion, and CDNinNYC for your continued support. It means so much to me!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I also used Accutane for 5 months when I was 17, had a v good experience, happy to share if anyone wants to know!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Oh KB, you are not being shallow at all!
And I can actually relate - I don't get acne per se, but my skin does go through cycles of being completely clear,
than all of a sudden for no apparent reason, it will go crap again for a couple weeks or so.

Here are a couple suggestions I'd like to make, as I know that med you are on can be really harsh and sometimes more
trouble than its worth:

What makeup do you use? I have found since starting to use Mineral makeup about 6mths ago, I just do not get
breakouts anymore. It really has transformed my skin. If you are able to, perhaps even just try swapping to mineral foundation
up until the wedding?

Dermalogica - not sure if you're familiar with this brand, but I find they have the best face products - cleansers, pimple treatments,
pretty much everything of their is great. Maybe you could try a new skin routine, or get some intense cleansing facials at a Dermalogica spa?

There is also another natural product that is a spot-treatment, and I swear it works miracles. However it is just made at a spa local to me,
they don't have a big brand or anything. I need to replenish some atm, so when I do if you like I will happily post the ingredients, maybe
you can find a product that is similiar?

I know most of these aren't cheap solutions, but I really do know how you feel - I would totally freak if my skin went haywire before my wedding
and with my luck it probably will, lol!

I am sending healing dust your way
1.gif

ETA: ah, just read the rest of the thread and see that you have been given lots of wonderful and specific advice. I hope your issue continues
to improve hon!

Thomperchik

Shiny_Rock
Kittybean - I''m glad Accutane is giving you some positive results. Just want to add side note to that, I believe they should''ve told you not to wax!

My friend is a nurse and she told me horrible stories about women that didn''t listen and literally pieces of skin comes off and then they had scarring on their eyebrows. I know plugging is dreadful, but I would rather take an hour plugging away than waxing.

Keep us updated & all the good dust for you!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Glad to see you''re seeing results kittybean!

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
So glad to hear that it''s improving!

Proactiv really is awesome. I don''t have bad acne like some of the kids in the Proactiv testimonials, but my friend had acne close to what you''re describing a few years ago, and Proactiv saved her just in time for senior photos haha. It really works to keep my skin clear. Now I only get a pimple when it''s right before that time of the month, and even then I usually only get one.

I live in Maryland and my skin is SO dry.. When I go to Georgia to visit my family, I don''t even need Proactiv. My face LOVES the humidity and it clears up on its own. How weird is that?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results