shape
carat
color
clarity

I Am Shallow and Vain. Please Send Dust Anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oakpark

Rough_Rock
Dust !!!

Definitely NOT vain!
I have used Proactiv, too in the past, with good results, I like the wash but not the cremes or mask.

And, something that sounds gross, but works:

Use a egg yolk only, apply to your face like a mask, allow to dry, then wash off (its yucky--best do it just before showering) but it seems to clear up the acne, no idea why!

PearlDahhhling

Brilliant_Rock
I know how you feel kittybean! I had acne in high school and it drove me nuts every day! But I've been using Proactiv for a while now and it definitely works for me! I've also been taking a birth control pill called Cyclessa and that in combination with proactiv had made my skin completely clear. I maaaybe get a pimple every once in a while if I fall asleep with my makeup on, but otherwise my skin has improved GREATLY! So that would be my recommendation! Oh! And get a good face masque! The one that you can get with proactiv works well, but there's also this charcoal one that I really like. I can't remember what it's called at the moment, but doing a masque every day or every other day will really help too! Good luck sweetie!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
awww Kittybean, I hear you; I am still fighting acne. Sending you lots and lots of PS dust sugar!!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re not shallow and vain! I''d be the exact same. I was on accutane for six months years ago and I noticed that when I stopped it my skin became so clear. It still flares up occasionally every couple of months but I am hoping that it won''t around the wedding. I had also heard that proactive works wonders. Might look into it. Sending dust!

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
I also get mild breakouts and I am going to be starting microdermabrasion soon. I will let u know if it works!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I HATE acne with a passion. I wouldn''t want any for my wedding either. I''m sending tons of dust your way kitty.....

ucdcows

Rough_Rock
Sending lots of dust your way! I don''t know if there is any scientific proof but my skin really responds to the foods I eat. If I watch what I eat (lots of veggies/fruits, little processed/salty foods), I do not get acne or eczema breakouts. I think its the way my body responds to and processes what I put in it.

Toreo

Rough_Rock
Had you tried any prescription medication for your acne before? I have never heard of a dermatologist or doctor prescribing Accutane as the first option, so I am just curious.
I had horrible acne in junior high. Absolutely atrocious. I caked on the makeup and I wouldn''t be caught dead without it on. My doctor put me on minocycline 100 mg a day. I don''t remember exactly how long I was on it, but it started to work right away. Once it was all cleared up (and I had suffered for YEARS!), I came off it and have been perfectly fine since. Only the odd one here or there.
I am a medical transcriptionist and actually type for a couple dermatologists. This is their treatment for almost every more sever acne case. Retin-A Micro and another topical medication is prescribed, one in the morning and one at night, for less severe cases. Sometimes it''s a combination of the topicals and the minocycline. But only do they go to Accutane when they''ve exhausted all other options. And, some people have used both and don''t react to one, but do to the other.
It''s definitely an idea to maybe ask about minocycline. I''ve had several friends who needed to use it before as well. Usually they only prescribe a three-month course and then you''re fine, but sometimes people go on it for longer. I had some bad scarring too and thought I''d end up going for microdermabrasion or chemical peels to help out, but my scars are basically nonexistant now, just maybe a few darker patches on my cheeks if you look really close.
Another note about the minocycline... It is used in men with razor burn, and even in rosacea patients. So if it is a bit of the rosacea as well (like someone had mentioned), it will tackle that too.
I wish you the best of luck! And you''re not vain... It''s only natural to be upset about something like that, regardless of whether a wedding is in the near future or not.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''m vain and shallow too! Dust!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT! It really means so much to me. The dust is going to help--I am confident it will.

Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions regarding what has worked for you. It is so helpful to hear what other ladies'' experience has been with acne.

I didn''t want to write too much in my first post, but here is a quick rundown of what my years of dermatological treatment have been like. At age 11 or so, my skin began breaking out. I tried over-the-counter topical creams, oral antibiotics (minocycline and tetracycline), and prescription topical stuff, and none of it helped. My derm put me on Accutance course #1 at age 13 or so. After a couple weeks of peeling and worsening of the acne, my skin cleared up fantastically, and it stayed decent for a couple years. Then, at about age 16, it had worsened again to the point where the prescription topicals and antibiotics weren''t helping at all. Then I got on Accutane course #2. Again, I had amazing results. Two years later, I did Accutane course #3, and those results seemed to be the most permanent. I had some acne through college, but it was always manageable, and it got even better while I was in law school (surprising, as I was stressed out all the time), to the point where I had almost no pimples ever. I still used the prescription topical stuff as a preventative measure.

Early this past summer, my skin began getting very oily, and it started to break out a little. I went on oral antibiotics (minocycline, which I didn''t tolerate well, then cephalexin) at that point. They didn''t help. In about August, my skin started to worsen dramatically despite the treatment, and I started getting some small pits and scars, which had never happened before. In continued to worsen, and in November, I started this course of Accutane. I was expecting results similar to those I had the last three times, but it hasn''t met my expectations thus far. Honestly, my skin looks much worse than it did when I started the treatment. I know it''s not uncommon to have an initial breakout and worsening of acne when you start, but it shouldn''t be continuing three months later! That is what is getting me down the most. My dermatologist is not pleased with my progress, and she again prescribed the oral antibiotic a few weeks ago to try and combat the cysts, and that hasn''t worked at all, unfortunately.

Although I''d love to try Proactiv (I never have before), my dermatologist does not recommend any benzyl peroxide treatment while I''m on Accutane, since it severely dries your skin and makes it extra-sensitive. Usually the Accutane course is five months, but I''ve been told I might stay on it longer so the treatment has a better chance of being curative.

EM1, thanks so much for taking the time to share your knowledge with me. I hope your project is going well--I''m excited to hear about it! I have a feeling that this acne is at least partially hormonal, but I''m not really sure how to deal with that, as I am already on birth control pills, which I cycle constantly (I don''t take the white pills). I take them this way for endometriosis. Maybe I should try switching pills? I have heard good things about Diane 35; however, I have also heard that as soon as you stop taking them, your skin gets awful, and the reality is that I will stop taking BC a few years down the road to try and have kids.

I don''t think I can get peels until I''m off Accutane, but I will definitely ask my derm about them. Maybe I can do a very mild at-home peel in the meantime. I have heard that glycolic acid peels and microderm abrasion are helpful for treating minor pitting and scarring, so I am planning on trying this after the Accutane course is over.

I am going to ask my derm this week what else might be okay for me to try. I think the wound-healing emulsion sounds like a good option, potentially. Packrat, what kind of laser treatment did you get? I''d be interested in looking into it. I''m also going to look into blue light treatment; I think you may be able to do it while on Accutane. If anyone has done the blue light thing, let me know what you thought.

CDNinNYC, I''m going to check out info on rosacea and talk to my derm about it. Maybe my problem has been misdiagnosed! I don''t have persistent redness, but I do have the excessive acne =(, especially on my cheeks and lower jaw area. It''s strange ''cause it''s different than any acne I''ve had before, which was always on my T-zone.

Whew! That was a long post! Thanks again, everyone, for sympathizing with me and for all the dust and helpful advice. I appreciate it so much. I will keep you updated on my progress!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
kittybean,

I get acne monthly, and get pretty upset about it. So I know where you are coming from. You are on the strongest thing their is. But I think once someone has been on more than three rounds, it does not work that great. Changing your BC might help you, depending which one you are one. Some BC are better for acne than others. But since you are on Accutane, I would just make sure if you do start something new, that you don''t let any time lapse, since Accutane and pregnancy are a bad combo.

Also, I didn''t read all the posts, but if you get a blemish right before the wedding, you could maybe get a steroid injection into it. I am sure it is expensive, but maybe something to bring up with your doctor now???

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have time to tell you everything but I should mention that I forgot to tell you that you can not get a peal or micro-derm on accutane. I''m not totally sure about the laser. Regardless...most derms should give you a combo therapy to use topically in conjunction. Using Retin A Micro and a bezol peroxide/ anti biodic should be used along with your accutane for best results. The down side is your skin may be very dry.

Cass

Rough_Rock
I have a hard time trusting dermatologists. When I was 12 and 13 my acne was horrible until my mom ordered Proactive. It changed my life! Unfortunately I stopped using it after about a year because, well, my skin was perfect so why throw away money on acne medicine? Well, my acne came back and my mom suggested I go see a dermatologist. I forget what he prescribed for me, but long story short, it made my acne much, much, much worse. Whatever he prescribed was too strong for me... anyways, I went back to Proactive, and I have to say, I''m not going off it!

I read your doctor said you can''t use Proactive while using what you are now... but if Accutane doesn''t work in 5 months, I say stop and try Proactive! I swear, it changed my life! Sorry for sounding like an infomercial
7.gif
But it''s true.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 10:50:20 PM
Author: Cass
I have a hard time trusting dermatologists. When I was 12 and 13 my acne was horrible until my mom ordered Proactive. It changed my life! Unfortunately I stopped using it after about a year because, well, my skin was perfect so why throw away money on acne medicine? Well, my acne came back and my mom suggested I go see a dermatologist. I forget what he prescribed for me, but long story short, it made my acne much, much, much worse. Whatever he prescribed was too strong for me... anyways, I went back to Proactive, and I have to say, I'm not going off it!

I read your doctor said you can't use Proactive while using what you are now... but if Accutane doesn't work in 5 months, I say stop and try Proactive! I swear, it changed my life! Sorry for sounding like an infomercial
7.gif
But it's true.

Cass,

Proactive was created by a group of dermatology residents at Stanford using a combination of over the counter acne treatments. I am not saying the stuff dosn't work, I have seen it work great on some of my friends in college. It is just not that different than the things that dermatologists do as first line treatment, and it is probably not going to work that well on some one who is all the way to accutaine (which is really third line treatment for acne). The second line treatments are stronger agents like retin-a, and antibiotics. The retin-a has been shown to work, but it takes 8 weeks before you see results. And it can be rough on the skin. I have talked to a lot of people who have tried it and given up on it, and they didn't realize they needed to give it 8 weeks. Retin-a also prevents acne, it does not treat current breakouts.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Kittybean - Tons of dust. Not at all shallow or vain.
Wishing you all the best. I know that it is not easy.

My skin started freaking out over the past couple of years and I threw money at the problem and when that didn''t work, I finally hauled myself to the dermatologist and I''m so, so, so thrilled to say that less than 6 mos later, my skin is radiant and so much more improved! If it can happen for me, it''s going to happen for you! In addition to the great advice you''ve rec''d, all this PS dust has got to work!
2.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I''ll throw this in the mix..

LED lights

there is one company that makes a LED light wand for acne and the reports have been good.

I have just bought one of their other wands. Results are not overnight, but if all else fails...

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Lots of dust for you, kittybean! I think all of us BIW are hoping to look our best for the weddings (and stay that way afterward).

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2009 8:03:01 PM
Author: oakpark
Dust !!!

Definitely NOT vain!

I have used Proactiv, too in the past, with good results, I like the wash but not the cremes or mask.

Use a egg yolk only, apply to your face like a mask, allow to dry, then wash off (its yucky--best do it just before showering) but it seems to clear up the acne, no idea why!

Sulfur in the egg.

Good luck, kittybean!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 2:09:39 AM
Author: JulieN
Date: 2/7/2009 8:03:01 PM

Author: oakpark

Dust !!!

Definitely NOT vain!

Sulfur in the egg.
Good luck, kittybean!
Hmm . . . this sounds interesting for me to try maybe tomorrow morning, then shower shower shower before I have run to work in the afternoon.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
You''re definitely NOT shallow, you crazy girl? Acne sucks! I had it freshman & sophomore year in HS and it drove me batty.

My acne wasn''t severe but it was pretty bad. Not to sound like an infomerical or anything, but I will say that Proactiv worked for me. I haven''t had issues with acne since, and yes, I''m sure a lot of the breakouts were purely hormonal. BUT I no longer have to use Proactiv, so maybe it''s worth considering for ''upkeep.'' Accutane works, as you know, but its very abrasive.

I''m sending you lots of beautiful-and-clear-skin dust your way.

BTW: You''re going to be a stunning bride, don''t you worry.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Lots of dust for you. You are not vain at all. I would totally feel the same in your shoes. I am so sorry and hope that the Accutane ends up working. I just wanted to say that I swear by Proactiv. I know it sounds hard to believe, but it really works for me.

tessari

Shiny_Rock
Dust to you!
Sorry you are dealing with this!

Since everyone is chiming in with tips, I have some too..
My FI usually has clear skin but sometimes he gets really big pimples--he uses a prescription called Benzaclin which dries them out really well...I have also used it for the occasional breakouts and it''s really good. I know you said you can''t use benzoyl peroxide but maybe you can ask if you can just use it to spot-treat the really bad ones--not all over your face.

Also, not sure if this is an issue for you but when I had bad skin you could see that it was exactly where I used to hold the phone to my face--that is easily fixed by cleaning with anti-bac wipes or using the headsets instead.

I used to have annoying small bumps bc of my cycle but I have been on yasmin, and then yaz for the past 5 years or so and my skin has been really clear. It worked for my sister too. It took about 3 months for our skin to clear up.

Best of luck to you!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure what the name of the laser treatment I used is...I know he used a gel and ran this wand thing over my face all over..took about 10 minutes or so, and my face looked sunburned for a couple hours after. You''re supposed to do 2 treatments a week for 3 weeks, and that''s supposed to give results to last several months. It kills the bacteria on your skin. He also has some Obagi products that worked nicely that I used while doing the laser. There''s a complete Obagi acne line that I really really like, but it''s $110, so not something I can afford often. I''ve heard good things about the Isolaz laser treatments, but they''re spendy and the closest to here is about 2 hours away. I used to take Ortho Tri Cyclen as my birth control and that helped keep my skin clear too..up until I quit taking it to have the kids.

My mom bought me this thing that you turn on and sit in front of-it''s supposed to give off infra red light to help clear skin up..maybe one of these days I should start using it and see if it works. My BFF has an infra red sauna and I did notice that when I''d sit in it semi-regularly my skin seemed brighter and prettier.

Sending some more acne fighting dust your way!!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Hey kittybean, I was thinking about you and wondering if the Accutane was taking effect. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
dust dust dus************ coming your way...

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 7:22:16 PM
Author: CDNinNYC
Hey kittybean, I was thinking about you and wondering if the Accutane was taking effect. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
CDN, thank you so very much for thinking of me! You are so kind--you truly just made my day. I really appreciate the crossed fingers! Blackpaw, thank you very much as well for the dust.

Unfortunately, I haven''t had much improvement. However, I have switched up two things recently: I switched from generic to name-brand Accutane (much to the chargrin of my wallet), and I started on a short course of prednisone (a steroid to reduce inflammation). I think the prednisone is helping a little with some of the cysts that wouldn''t go down, so I''m happy about that. I also have seen a little improvement in the number of small bumps I have, which I''m taking as a good sign, since a lot of those were seeming to turn into bigger ones. My dermatologist is not sure why my acne is so stubborn; she thinks I should definitely be seeing major improvement already. [Sigh.] Just under four months to go ''til Judgment--I mean Wedding--Day.

Thank you so much for your support. It means a lot to me!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 8:53:48 PM
Author: kittybean

Date: 2/25/2009 7:22:16 PM
Author: CDNinNYC
CDN, thank you so very much for thinking of me! You are so kind--you truly just made my day. I really appreciate the crossed fingers! Blackpaw, thank you very much as well for the dust.

Unfortunately, I haven''t had much improvement. However, I have switched up two things recently: I switched from generic to name-brand Accutane (much to the chargrin of my wallet), and I started on a short course of prednisone (a steroid to reduce inflammation). I think the prednisone is helping a little with some of the cysts that wouldn''t go down, so I''m happy about that. I also have seen a little improvement in the number of small bumps I have, which I''m taking as a good sign, since a lot of those were seeming to turn into bigger ones. My dermatologist is not sure why my acne is so stubborn; she thinks I should definitely be seeing major improvement already. [Sigh.] Just under four months to go ''til Judgment--I mean Wedding--Day.

Thank you so much for your support. It means a lot to me!
I hope you continue to see an improvement. A small one is still something! Steroids work wonders sometimes.

Have you been experiencing any weird side effects since starting on the prenisone? Whenever I take steroids I get really really hot and I have a hard time sleeping. My mother refers to that sort of medication as the "middle of the night house cleaning" drug because it sometimes makes you so restless that you''re up vacuuming at 4 am! I hope this isn''t the case for you.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I started using a product called Buzz on Acne a couple months ago and I really like it. It''s under $30/month..I''d actually started to get low on my first bottle and didn''t have the money to order another so was trying to use it sparingly, and I really noticed a change for the worse..when I finally was able to order another bottle, it came in 3 days and it made a difference immediately. It''s not made my skin perfectly 100% clear, but boy it sure helps! When I was on the Pill it helped my skin tremendously also-I don''t know if you''re already on it or if it''s a consideration at all, but thought I''d throw that out there.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Neither shallow nor vain, you are human! Lots of dust coming your way.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you're keeping on top of your doctor and trying out the brand name Accutane and the steroid drug. My Fi took the brand name as well in high school and swears by it. When I was having my skin problems and complaining to him about it he kept pushing me to get the doctor to prescribe it.

It sounds like you're seeing a bit of improvement, so hopefully this new combination starts to work for you! I completely understand wanting to look your best on your wedding day. It wasn't too long ago, I was horrified by the way my skin looked. I should show you a before and after picture; scary... It's still healing but there's a marked improvement; so much so that last week I was asked if I was pregnant 'cause my skin was glowing...
23.gif
32.gif
23.gif

Let us know how things are going. Four months gives you some time for your skin to heal and get that bridal glow.

CDN

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results