shape
carat
color
clarity

I am not a Flipper! Public notice to all

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I have gotten a couple of warnings from the moderator telling me that some members think I am flipping jewelry and I am compelled to clarify that I am selling from my personal collection, which is why all my rings are the same size and so are my watches! I became a jewelry collector thanks to this site, and because I got a little carried away, I have had to sell off some stuff recently. The ebay account is my husband's who did not build it by selling jewelry. I felt compelled to post this in case anyone out there is feeling threatened every time I post my items. Please notice that unlike some other members who sell their items, I do not say "I never got around to sizing or setting this..." which to me is the sign of a flipper.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
um....I'm not sure this is posted in the write topic area...maybe this should have been posted in the "Preloved PS Jewels" forum....

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to add that I am not selling my jewelry to make a profit, I am trying to make some of my money back. Selling preowned jewelry is not exactly a lucrative business; I don't make a penny and am lucky when I make half of what I originally paid for!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
nala|1356938943|3343361 said:
I wanted to add that I am not selling my jewelry to make a profit, I am trying to make some of my money back. Selling preowned jewelry is not exactly a lucrative business; I don't make a penny and am lucky when I make half of what I originally paid for!

I feel like all this should be posted in the preloved thread or with your posts with the items that you're selling. If you're this concerned, I'd check with the moderators and see what exactly the problem is. Most everyone selling anything on here is doing so to raise funds for new projects or for personal reasons like needing the money for bills etc.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Last thing: since you have gotten this posted in the right area, I'd hit "report concern" and request to have this thread deleted :)

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
nala|1356938545|3343358 said:
So I have gotten a couple of warnings from the moderator telling me that some members think I am flipping jewelry and I am compelled to clarify that I am selling from my personal collection, which is why all my rings are the same size and so are my watches! I became a jewelry collector thanks to this site, and because I got a little carried away, I have had to sell off some stuff recently. The ebay account is my husband's who did not build it by selling jewelry. I felt compelled to post this in case anyone out there is feeling threatened every time I post my items. Please notice that unlike some other members who sell their items, I do not say "I never got around to sizing or setting this..." which to me is the sign of a flipper.

I say that, but it's totally true. I have hoarded about 5 boxes of jewelry and they've been in the bank safety deposit box for years! A few PSers have seen a sliver of my loot in person, and I've posted maybe 3% of what I own on here, but most rings either don't fit right and have never been sized, or are gems/diamonds that haven't been set.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I must admit that the thought did cross my mind when I had seen how many similar items you had listed. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt though, so the thought disappeared as quickly as it arrived. :)) Good luck clearing out some of your collection.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1356941843|3343375 said:

I say that, but it's totally true. I have hoarded about 5 boxes of jewelry and they've been in the bank safety deposit box for years! A few PSers have seen a sliver of my loot in person, and I've posted maybe 3% of what I own on here, but most rings either don't fit right and have never been sized, or are gems/diamonds that haven't been set.

I agree ForteKitty! When I first joined PS I bought tons of CS and set some. Over the years I have learned that while I like CS's I dont' like all of them and actaully I think I prefer diamonds for the most part. I have sold off a large part of my collection (set and unset) on the pre-loved section, typically well over a 40% loss -- more for things that were set.

Nala I don't think the Public Notice to all under Rocky Talk really helps you though. I would post on the pre-loved forum or just not even address it at all. I know it must be frustrating as you are getting pinged by the mods about this, but just realize a post like this draws attention and that is probably something you don't want, while trying to find buyers for your items.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1356941843|3343375 said:

Agreed - I have a whack of stuff that I never gotten around to resizing or setting.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Not referring to you, but I have questioned some of the items in Preloved and wondered aloud what was going on. Some of the pricing there is rediculous (retail+) and it does seem like the same people over and over. I realize with no returns over there, people might buy something, not like it, and then try to resell. I have also seen others haggle and question it, only to buy it for less and then go around and sell it for a profit. That bugs me.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ruby59|1356974339|3343678 said:
Not referring to you, but I have questioned some of the items in Preloved and wondered aloud what was going on. Some of the pricing there is rediculous (retail+) and it does seem like the same people over and over. I realize with no returns over there, people might buy something, not like it, and then try to resell. I have also seen others haggle and question it, only to buy it for less and then go around and sell it for a profit. That bugs me.

Ruby, could I ask why? I don't have a dog in this race, I've never sold or bought in Pre-Loved. But since there appear to be buyers for some of these things however often they go around ... why not? I kind of figured it was just the natural outcome of all the no-returns policies? :confused:

Nala, I don't know who complained, but I think they jumped the gun. While I don't have moral objections to the whole flipping issue, I never thought that's what you were doing!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Circe - there is a level of friendship and trust here. To buy an item and sell it rather quickly for hundreds of dollars in profit is sleezy, imo.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ruby59|1356976016|3343698 said:
Circe - there is a level of friendship and trust here. To buy an item and sell it rather quickly for hundreds of dollars in profit is sleezy, imo.

Aaaaaaaaaaaah, missed the part about profit - I was more imaginging PSr one buys the ring, realizes it clashes with their set, can't return it, resells it charging a little extra for shipping and hassle, rinse, repeat.

ETA: In your opinion, though ... what's the ethical behavior if you buy a thing and realize it just doesn't work like you hoped? If the original seller undercharged for whatever reason - wanted a quick sale, wasn't aware of market scarcity, whatever - is the buyer obliged to stick to their pricing scheme?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok. I have NO idea who you are but then again I haven't visited the pre-loved in a couple of days. I do think this thread would make more sense over there! ;))

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1356976600|3343707 said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaah, missed the part about profit - I was more imaginging PSr one buys the ring, realizes it clashes with their set, can't return it, resells it charging a little extra for shipping and hassle, rinse, repeat.

There are many different scenerios, but one person DID profit from something she bought from me. She bought it at a pre-loved discount, then got the full upgrade value via trade in and used that to get a bigger diamond. It was sooooo sleezy!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Circe, as I said there is a certain trust over here. Think about a naive seller and a buyer who takes advantage of that.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
You are assuming that items actually sell for asking price. They very rarely do! There's a fair amount of negotiating behind the scenes. ;-)

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Fortekitty, with all due respect I would not have made the comments I did if I did not know the exact history of the transaction in question.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your support. I posted this thread in preloved forum too because I want it to reach as many members as possible, since according to the moderator, a lot of members have reported me and implied that I am flipping. I felt everyone was due a clarification.

I think that I am not alone here in being a jewelry hoarder, collector, impulse buyer, etc. and that to make room for upgrades, I only feel justified in getting rid of my old stuff before I buy something new--this is as responsible as I get. Maybe we should start a trading forum where people can trade their jewelry!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
...since according to the moderator, a lot of members have reported me and implied that I am flipping...
What?? Unless you were obviously reselling pieces that had previously sold here, OP, why would they even think that. The mods need to show some common sense and make accusers back up an accusation with history and evidence, not go around issuing warnings based on heresay.

If I were selling a major diamond, I'd get a professional appraisal and an arsenal of information about it before I listed it.

This is why I never listen to the hardship stories and the begging and cajoling that some buyers do to try to get a better price. I don't do anyone favors, unless it's a close personal friend. No emotional appeal to me is ever going to get anything other than a buyer added to my blocked bidder list. Neither will knocking and insulting what I am selling, to try to badger me down. :mrgreen: If I sell something, I am resigned that somebody else may figure out a way to make a profit on it that I couldn't. But I am not going to "give it away" without my own consent. hahahahaha!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Woa I must have totally missed something here because I have never seen something purchased off of LT/PS/ DB for a price and then relisted later on for a higher price. I have seen things relisted for the same price or a little less. I guess I need to take my head out of the sand :?:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nala, FWIW I never thought you were flipping. I think people jumped to conclusions without any evidence to back up their opinions. I don't blame you for wanting to set the record straight.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarahbear621|1356983280|3343816 said:
Woa I must have totally missed something here because I have never seen something purchased off of LT/PS/ DB for a price and then relisted later on for a higher price. I have seen things relisted for the same price or a little less. I guess I need to take my head out of the sand :?:

Sarah, I think it's happened a few times, but honestly I think it's a pretty rare occurrence, at least from my observations.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1356976810|3343712 said:

There are many different scenerios, but one person DID profit from something she bought from me. She bought it at a pre-loved discount, then got the full upgrade value via trade in and used that to get a bigger diamond. It was sooooo sleezy!

I'm not sure I understand why this is sleazy. Apparently you didn't have the need or time or inclination to upgrade, and she did. I do understand why you'd rather see the piece that you once love go to someone else who will love it, but... that doesn't always happen in real life.

ETA - unless of course she bargained your price down. Then it is a bit sleazy IMHO.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1356987290|3343870 said:

I'm not sure I understand why this is sleazy. Apparently you didn't have the need or time or inclination to upgrade, and she did. I do understand why you'd rather see the piece that you once love go to someone else who will love it, but... that doesn't always happen in real life.

ETA - unless of course she bargained your price down. Then it is a bit sleazy IMHO.

Of course she bargained down from my asking price. She low-balled me and I said no, then we agreed on a certain lower-than-asking-price, then she took the stone then immediately complained that it was too small and she was going to call and ask about upgrading it and did so. She basically got a deal from getting the stone for less than retail from me, then turned and got full retail value from the vendor. It was an ideal cut stone. It's not like the diamond measured up less than it should have for carat weight. She was opportunistic. I think what she did was unethical. But, whatever.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1356980071|3343778 said:
Fortekitty, with all due respect I would not have made the comments I did if I did not know the exact history of the transaction in question.

Ah, so you were talking about something specific. I was responding to the "higher prices" on DB, and how the list price may not be the actual sale price due to behind the scenes haggling.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1356989558|3343901 said:

Of course she bargained down from my asking price. She low-balled me and I said no, then we agreed on a certain lower-than-asking-price, then she took the stone then immediately complained that it was too small and she was going to call and ask about upgrading it and did so. She basically got a deal from getting the stone for less than retail from me, then turned and got full retail value from the vendor. It was an ideal cut stone. It's not like the diamond measured up less than it should have for carat weight. She was opportunistic. I think what she did was unethical. But, whatever.

MC, I cannot see anything remotely unethical about that. If I sell a piece, I decide the amount I sell it for. It really is not my business what the buyer ends up doing with the item. You controlled what you were willing to accept for your diamond. Good for any of us if we are later able to use an item to trade up.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Sarahbear621 said:

I'm a huge preloved lurker. Mostly cause I'm poor and dream about owning certain items. I've seen things bought and resold quite a bit, both in DB and sometimes I see the items marked sold pop up on eBay. Unfortunate, but interesting.

I'm also someone who contacts people and asks for more info, and usually talk myself out of buying the piece, again due to finances.

I also never thought any of those mentioned in this thread were flippers ;-)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1356990480|3343919 said:
MC|1356989558|3343901 said:

MC, I cannot see anything remotely unethical about that. If I sell a piece, I decide the amount I sell it for. It really is not my business what the buyer ends up doing with the item. You controlled what you were willing to accept for your diamond. Good for any of us if we are later able to use an item to trade up.

Maybe the reason it rubbed me the wrong way is because she decided to upgrade it the same day as it came in the mail. It's not like she had it for a while and realized it was sitting in her jewelry box and would be better traded up. Oh well... I learned my lesson. I think I felt a bit too emotional about the transaction and that is why I don't sell things on DB! ;))

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Ruby, I think I remember reading about your situation. It was a regarding a bracelet, right?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results