shape
carat
color
clarity

i am in shock! this guy is selling my watch on Ebay..

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Are you selling your watch through ebay? If so a BIG BEWAREb]. Buyers are protected through ebay / paypal. Sellers are not. There have been repeated postings over there about buyers claiming empty boxes or SNAD. And in many cases are getting their money back and keeping the item. And a new scam is sellers copying other people's auctions as their own. Ebay could not care less.

It did not sell but he got 12 offers. He could try and do an off ebay sale.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1315073979|3009097 said:
Dancing Fire|1315009437|3008708 said:
part gypsy|1314992736|3008530 said:
You know how much he can sell it on Ebay, well cut out the middleman and sell it yourself for MUCH LESS RISK.
i have no risk unless he wired me the money i will not send him the watch.

Never have anyone wire money to your personal bank account. Ever.
a wire transfer can only go one way that is (into your account),not out. the bank said it is the safest way to do money transaction.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1315075237|3009119 said:
Hi All,

Don't these diamond dealers you all love do something similar. They don't own the diamonds they sell. You all call them virtual diamonds. Yes, you have experience with them, so its OK. But new people don't accept this as easily.

My concern is this transaction could go either way. DF be very careful. This guy wants fast money. I f he can make 500.00, he'll be happy. Meet in an open place.

Annette

I don't think it's quite the same thing. The diamond dealers are participating in a system that's set up for exactly that type of transaction. There are contacts (or something similar) between the on-line dealers and the wholesalers, so the on-line dealers know they will be able to follow through on the transaction. Moreover, the whole thing is fairly transparent to the end buyer. I'm not sure the sites differentiate between "in-house" diamonds and on-line only diamonds, but it doesn't take a lot to figure it out. And with the photos, grading standards, and certifications, the on-line dealers have a good idea of what they're selling.

The ebay watch seller is taking some risk in buying from DF since there's a lot more subjectivity in describing the condition of a watch than there is in diamond grading reports. He's also relying on DF's word that he'll actually go through with the sale and send him the watch so he can send it on to the next buyer. and as amc80 showed, he's not disclosing the fact that he doesn't have the watch in his possession - that he has not in fact ever seen the watch IRL - to potential buyers.

Come to think of it, it's not the same thing at all.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1315077136|3009137 said:
You know how much he can sell it on Ebay, well cut out the middleman and sell it yourself for MUCH LESS RISK.

a wire transfer can only go one way that is (into your account),not out. the bank said it is the safest way to do money transaction.

Unless, of course, the bank later determines the wire transfer was made with fraudulent funds. I'm lazy, so here's some cut-and-pastes from page one of a google search (pts. 1 and 3), and some anecdotal information on other potential concerns (pt. 2) to weigh as you make your decision DF on whether wire transfer is 100% safe:

1. http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?p=1057908

2. "...And I've learned about a few more scams. One that is slowly catching on is the wire transfer scam. A Nigerian will place a large order and ask to pay via wire transfer. You might think this is pretty safe, since nobody but you can do a transfer from your account to another. But the internet is making life very easy for thieves these days. You know how you can set up with your fitness center or whatever to have them automatically get their monthly fee transferred from your bank account to theirs? Somehow these scammers can set up with your bank to do the same thing, or at least something similar, as long as they have your account number and the identification number of your bank. What happens is, you give the scammer your bank account number and any other info that he would need to wire you money. And then he can go to this web site, http://www.qchex.com.. From there he pretends to be you. He creates an account with QCHEX and places an order with some other vender promising to pay with a QCHEX check. The unsuspecting vendor receives the QCHEX check, and ships the order. You never see a wire transfer to your account from the Nigerian. What you do see is a QCHEZ check drawn on your account. You call your bank and say, "What's this?". The bank explains it to you. You tell them you have never heard of QCHEX. The bank returns the QCHEX check to the unsuspecting vendor, who is out the value of the check since he has already shipped the goods to Nigeria."

3. "Beware of wire transfer scams that prey on your honesty. Fraudsters who have been targeting people who are selling items on the internet. The price of the item for sale is usually between $5,000 and $10,000 (the items include boats, cars, and even an irrigation motor to run a center pivot irrigation system). The purported buyer usually agrees to pay full price. The buyer always says they are from overseas (they have claimed to be from Africa, Europe, and Canada). The buyer will send an email to the seller telling them to expect an official check via an overnight delivery system (generally FedEx) in two days, and also briefly explain how the buyer will get the merchandise. The day before the check is due to arrive; the buyer will send an email to the seller explaining a mistake was made on the check. Instead of the check being $5,000 (the agreed selling price), it was inadvertently made out for $10,000 (sometimes the buyer will give some reason why the mistake was made). Also, sometimes the buyer will send a "Third Party Check" saying the check is from a company he/she does business with in the U.S. In either case (whether the check is made out to the seller or a third party), the buyer instructs the seller that once the check is cashed to wire the "overpayment" via Western Union back to the buyer.

"If the seller (now the victim), withdraws the cash before the check is returned to the bank as counterfeit, the victim IS RESPONSIBLE to reimburse the bank for the total amount of the check. "

Good luck, dude.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a bank wire is different from a check deposit, it will show up on your account as a "bank wire" not a deposit. one can't reverse a bank wire transfer,if i can reverse a bank wire transfer then i'll steal all the 2+ct stones from PS vendors... :naughty:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

Yes, but WHO are you giving your banking info to?? You are giving out your acct number and routing number. Phony checks are easy to print these days. Phony checks with YOUR bank acct and routing number.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1315089013|3009302 said:

Yes, but WHO are you giving your banking info to?? You are giving out your acct number and routing number. Phony checks are easy to print these days. Phony checks with YOUR bank acct and routing number.
the routing # is printed on all your personal checks. i am one of the few person on earth who don't have online banking and don't even own an ATM card.. :wacko:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
So have you heard back from your buyer, now that the auction has closed?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
manderz|1315093089|3009326 said:
So have you heard back from your buyer, now that the auction has closed?
said he will wire the money on tuesday. i will check with my bank to be sure the money is in my account before i ship him the watch.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
so, much ado about nothing, DF? why were you in shock in the first place?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1315108602|3009421 said:
so, much ado about nothing, DF? why were you in shock in the first place?
MZ
wouldn't you be in shock if you saw your ring posted for sale on Ebay?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
not under the circumstances you've been describing............you seem comfortable with it enough to still sell it to him. i'd think if you were shocked you wouldn't continue with the sale.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock

Two things - the bank that I work for allows the recall of a wire transfer within 24 hours depending on circumstances. Most banks also charge an incoming wire fee.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sparkly Blonde|1315196999|3009891 said:

Two things - the bank that I work for allows the recall of a wire transfer within 24 hours depending on circumstances. Most banks also charge an incoming wire fee.

DF, I think this would be my concern too. You need to wait until that risk has passed before you ship the watch. Also, I'd call the bank and get clarity on when a wire can be recalled and within what timescale. If you're going ahead with this, good luck!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I'm in shock that you're in shock that we're in shock that you're not more in shock, DF! :bigsmile:

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
I haven't read all the posts, so maybe this theory came up.

Is it possible that he posted the auction to see what the watch might fetch.... someday? Yes, wrong for him to deceive, but maybe he was looking for a cheap way to get a public appraisal without actually turning around and selling it (immediately).

I'm not truly defending him. Deception is deception and he's been slippery to date.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Imdanny|1315221201|3009949 said:
I'm in shock that you're in shock that we're in shock that you're not more in shock, DF! :bigsmile:

LOL

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="Jennifer W|1315208559|

DF, I think this would be my concern too. You need to wait until that risk has passed before you ship the watch. Also, I'd call the bank and get clarity on when a wire can be recalled and within what timescale. If you're going ahead with this, good luck![/quote]

i'll make sure.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkly Blonde|1315239430|3010077 said:
Imdanny|1315221201|3009949 said:

LOL

Thritto! :wink2:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
he wired me the money yesterday said he bought the watch for his uncle as a BD gift.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1315937982|3016649 said:
he wired me the money yesterday said he bought the watch for his uncle as a BD gift.

Has the wired money cleared your bank yet?

That must be one special uncle to receive a gift like that.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope for your sake its all on the up and up!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

I was curious as to what happened. Did you see what the watch sold for on ebay? I guess he had to wait to get paid from his ebay buyer, don't you think?. I'm glad it worked out for you. He still couldn't tell you the truth. People are weird, or people vary.

Annette

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
isaku5|1315938521|3016655 said:
Dancing Fire|1315937982|3016649 said:

Has the wired money cleared your bank yet?

That must be one special uncle to receive a gift like that.
yes,i check with my bank and the money has been posted into my account. i bet he's nervous now... :bigsmile:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1315939575|3016681 said:
Hi All,

I was curious as to what happened. Did you see what the watch sold for on ebay? I guess he had to wait to get paid from his ebay buyer, don't you think?. I'm glad it worked out for you. He still couldn't tell you the truth. People are weird, or people vary.

Annette
no,he had 12 offers but not at his "buy it now price"

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Seems it all worked out, DF!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results